Few Noob Questions: Navi, Finding the right car, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few Noob Questions: Navi, Finding the right car, etc...

Besides show, is there any real use for navigation is you are one with good directional skills to begin with?
If you guys were to choose, would you go with or against it?
Does the touch screen start to fail?
Do you get charged for its use?

Btw, I'm a new member, looking to buy an 03 CL Type-S.
I can't quite find that 6-Speed in NBP, WITH Nav, because I really think it'd be a nifty tool sometimes.

Currently, my attention has been attracted by an 03 in Satin Silver, without Navi.
It has about 40k miles, for a dealer price at just under $18,000.
Also, there is one with under 25k miles, for $2000 more.
I am fairly certain I can get either one talked down to a bit more, but I'd really prefer a Black one with Navi.

Here are two that I'm thinking of:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...el=&cardist=46

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...103541118&rd=1
(The eBay one was on Autotrader, but without pics. It's a local dealer.)

How much would you guys expect to pay for an 03 Black Navi, 6 Speed, with under 50,000 miles?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:38 AM
The Case Worker

I'm great with directions but I've found myself many times in need of navi. I wish I'd bought a navi-equipped car. It's upwards of $1,500 if at a later time you want to get a navigation, so you might as well do it right in the first place. And from a dealer, I'd say one with 40k, a good standing warranty WITH navi should be around $17,500-18,000. I wouldn't pay that much for a non-navi car. Look for private sales you can find one with around 50k miles navi/everything you want for $15,000ish.

Good luck
Old 04-11-2007, 07:05 AM
01 CL_S SMR

Originally Posted by Eddie916
Besides show, is there any real use for navigation is you are one with good directional skills to begin with?
If you guys were to choose, would you go with or against it?
Does the touch screen start to fail?
Do you get charged for its use?

Btw, I'm a new member, looking to buy an 03 CL Type-S.
I can't quite find that 6-Speed in NBP, WITH Nav, because I really think it'd be a nifty tool sometimes.

Currently, my attention has been attracted by an 03 in Satin Silver, without Navi.
It has about 40k miles, for a dealer price at just under $18,000.
Also, there is one with under 25k miles, for $2000 more.
I am fairly certain I can get either one talked down to a bit more, but I'd really prefer a Black one with Navi.

Here are two that I'm thinking of:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...el=&cardist=46

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...103541118&rd=1
(The eBay one was on Autotrader, but without pics. It's a local dealer.)

How much would you guys expect to pay for an 03 Black Navi, 6 Speed, with under 50,000 miles?

Thanks!
For sure you should go with the Nav, besides the fact that it is more convienent it also adds some demand to your car whenever you decide to sell it, I know that when I go from my 01 to and 03 I will be looking for Nav only. These cars are rare to begin with and your looking for the rarest, 6 speed with Nav, if you have the time take your time finding it and make sure your not settling, you will be in love with this car the second you start it for the first time as your own. Good Luck, keep us posted!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Intermediate

Even if you are good with directions the navi is nice to have, I find myself using more and more each day just to get around traffic on a busy street. My touch screen has never failed, however the navi ahs failed to boot up twice since I have purchased the car, but all you have to do is turn the car off, then turn it back on, and it has worked fine. the navi is definitely worth it, IMHO in 5 years when you might want to sell your car, everything out there will have navi, so its good to have the features that others will want later. oh and plus everyone thinks its neat how my ac controls are touch screen
Old 04-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

Definately look for one with Navi. It is one of thos things like Tivo - You dont see the use until you have it and then it is hard to live without.

My wife and I went out furniture shopping last weekend and had about 10 stores we wanted to visit, we put them all in and then the navi arranged them for the best route. It was Great!

I also use it to get around traffic and even had to use it once to find out the street names to explain to someone how to get to my house (I know where my hous is, why do I need to know the street names :-)
Old 04-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
If you even think you want navi, buy a CL with navi... please... If I read another "what do I need to convert my car to navi, and how easy is it to convert the auto tranny to a 6spd, and how much is it going to cost to paint the car" type thread, I'm going to kill myself
Old 04-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Cruisin'

I'm getting a 6 speed for sure.
Navi and color are what's buggng me.

Black, Anthracite, and Silver. In that order. And navi definately is what I want.

The navi sounds really good from you guys. Thanks.

Any more tips?
Old 04-11-2007, 03:51 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I like having the Navi, it has helped me find places I have never been to very easily. It will be a little harder finding a 6speed with Navi but it's worth the effort IMO. Anthracite is a great color choice, it was only offered in 03 for the CL.
I'm biased.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Everything just costs more in Cali! So I think those are decent prices considering the mileage... of course everything can be negotiated! I would caution you on the one in Grass Valley, because I am 90% sure that it is the same CLS I test drove in the bay area a few months back (how many CL-S 6spds in silver are out there with 20K miles?). I would bet that it was wholesaled to the dealer in Grass Valley after it sat on the other lot too long. The one I test drove had been badly repainted, had a serious suspension problem (really pulled right), and had condensation in the gauges, headlights and tail lights (more than normal).

My tips to anyone looking for any car.
1) If you buy from a dealer, start shopping about a week before the end of the month, but do not buy until the last day or two.
2) If you have a trade-in, do all of your negotiating prior to letting the dealer know that you have a trade in. Make an excuse to come back another time once terms are agreed upon and show up with the car you want to trade in.
3) Do not trust Carfax or any other report... like everything else, there are ways around it. It does NOT guarantee a peace of mind!
4) Always know of at least one other similar car being sold for cheaper and know where it is being sold at (for leverage).
5) Don't buy new cars unless you're rich! (you will lose a ton of money)

Just my for anyone who wants to listen.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
If you even think you want navi, buy a CL with navi... please... If I read another "what do I need to convert my car to navi, and how easy is it to convert the auto tranny to a 6spd, and how much is it going to cost to paint the car" type thread, I'm going to kill myself
So tell me how to do it!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Instructor

i love my navi and one of the coolest things i have to admit is the ac controls i think i might have bought the screen just for those
Old 04-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Cruisin'

What's the difference between DOHC and SOHC?
I just realized the CLS is Single?
Any difference?
Old 04-12-2007, 01:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

You have a lot of reading to do bubba...

read the 2 first hyperlinks in my signature.

SOHC = Single over head cam = one came per head = Single works both intake and exhaust valves

DOHC = 2 over head cams = 2 cams per head = 1 cam for intake valves and 1 cam for exhaust valves

The CL-S and CL-P are SOHC
Old 04-13-2007, 02:54 AM
Cruisin'

Well, I know what they stand for, but can you guys give a little insight of what it REALLY means?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:20 AM
Cruisin'

Also considering the 06 RSX Type S.
Is that good as well?