Explanation of Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Explanation of Oil

Anyone know of a good link that explains the different grades of motor oil for a car? Or if you can, please explain...like what the numbers mean...5w-20 etc.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:34 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't think of the good links offhand. There's a great old BMW BBS type website that has a really nice (unbiased) motor oil FAQ. Do a google search and I'm sure you'll find something good -- or someone will post it here.

Any oil with multiple numbers is multi-viscosity. Viscosity refers to the relationship of shear to strain of the fluid, or in easier terms, how thick it is. A higher number is a thicker oil.

Multi-vis oils take a base oil and put in additives so it acts differently at different temperatures. The 'W' refers to winter, or cold viscosity. 5W-20 pours at '5' weight in the cold, and '20' weight in the heat.

There are other factors that are listed in an oil's specs. The one that also seems to be important is the API approval code. I know that my 2003 requires SJ rated oil. I forgot exactly what these letters mean, but it has something to do with 'gasoline engine' (as opposed to diesel), and what engine subtype the oil is approved for. As time moves on the letters get higher (an older car might only have need SG rated oil).

Hopefully this gets you started -- I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:35 AM
'Cooter

here's the complete line of Mobil 1 with SuperSync with explanation and some competition Q&A

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-30 is capable of pumping at -58° F (-50° C) and pouring at -65° F (-54° C). At these temperatures, conventional oils are essentially frozen solid. This means that Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides superior protection for engine parts during cold start-ups. And since it is a 30-grade oil at normal operating conditions, it safeguards your engine under normal and high-temperature conditions. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-30 also offers significant fuel economy benefits versus conventional 10W-30 motor oils.

Benefits of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-30:

Delivers the best fuel economy in the Mobil 1 line.
Quicker cold starts and faster protection.
Provides a wider temperature range of protection compared to 5W-30 and 10W-30.
Protects during high-temperature, high-stress situations.
Meets stringent European fuel efficiency standard M111.
GM owner's manuals recommend using synthetic 0W-30 for temperatures below -20° F (-29° C).
Exceeds API SL/CF and ILSAC GF-3, and is recommended by many U.S. automakers.
Exceeds ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5.

Applications:
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-30 can be used in virtually all passenger vehicle gasoline engines and light-duty diesel engines. It also exceeds "Energy Conserving" ratings. It offers excellent protection if you drive during extreme-temperature conditions, while providing improved fuel economy over conventional motor oils.

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 is engineered to provide outstanding protection in high-tech European engines. It provides excellent wear protection in high-temperature/hot-running engines.

Benefits of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40:

Is recommended for European vehicles (especially newer models).
Offers outstanding protection for high-tech, multi-valve engines.
Protects engines in situations where conventional motor oils may break down.
Meets the engine performance specifications of European automakers, including Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and BMW.
Exceeds API SL/CF
Exceeds ACEA A3/B3/B4-02.
Exceeds Mercedes-Benz 229.3 specification.
Exceeds GM Long Life engine oil specification GM-LL-A-025 for Opel and Saab gasoline engines and GM-LL-B-025 for diesel engines.

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 is factory fill in all Porsche, Mercedes-Benz AMG and Aston Martin vehicles. In addition, Mercedes-Benz approves Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 for all its 1998 and newer cars.

Applications:
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 is designed for normally aspirated and turbocharged gasoline engines and light-duty diesel engines. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 provides maximum protection, even during extended-use driving. This formulation is specifically designed for European vehicles that recommend this viscosity grade.

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30 Newer Vehicle Formula helps keep your new engine running like new. The unique SuperSyn™ anti-wear system helps extend the life of your engine by reducing oil breakdown.

Benefits of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30:

Keeps today's hot-running engines clean by controlling deposit formation.
Offers an ideal balance of low- and high-temperature performance.
Helps extend engine life by reducing oil breakdown under "severe service."
5W-30 is the viscosity grade recommended for many new vehicles.
Exceeds API SL/CF and ILSAC GF-3.

Applications:
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30 is designed for passenger cars and light trucks with gasoline or diesel engines. It also exceeds "Energy Conserving" ratings. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30 is factory fill in all Chevrolet Corvettes.

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 10W-30 is ideally suited for higher-mileage vehicles that require a higher viscosity grade. It offers optimal protection for any engine used in varying temperatures.

Benefits of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 10W-30:

The best-selling grade of Mobil 1.
Outstanding engine cleanliness and sludge protection.
Outstanding wear protection, even under the most extreme conditions.
Protects against wear by getting to engine parts fast.
Exceeds API SL/CF and ILSAC GF-3.

Applications:
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 10W-30 is designed for passenger cars and light trucks with gasoline or diesel engines. It also exceeds "Energy Conserving" ratings.

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50 is a performance-driving formula that provides superior high-temperature protection for high-performance cars. It keeps protecting your engine, guarding against wear, even during hard driving.

Benefits of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50:

Excellent for supercharged and turbocharged engines, muscle cars and amateur racers.
The highest viscosity Mobil 1 available.
Race proven.
Superior high-temperature protection for high-performance and high-revving cars. Contains extra SuperSyn™ anti-wear system.
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50 is factory fill in Ford Mustang Cobra R.
Exceeds API SL/CF.
Exceeds ACEA A3/B3/B4-02.
Applications:
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50 is perfect for hot-running or heavily loaded vehicles and high-tech imported cars. It offers an extra level of protection, even under extreme use.

more info here...
http://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/Apps/DS...0?OpenDocument

Red Line Oil talks about "four-ball wear," "load wear," "Falex wear" and "Timken psi load" for their synthetic oil. Are these valid tests?
These tests are low-cost tests generally used to determine the performance properties of grease. They do not correlate with engine performance tests. For example, the use of an additive such as lead naphthenate would yield excellent results in these bench (or lab) tests, but would cause excessive oxidation of an oil in an engine and would cause a motor oil to fail the industry standard oxidation test known as the Sequence III test.

None of the tests referenced are used by API in determining gasoline engine motor oil performance (SL is the current, most severe oil classification), nor are they used by engine manufacturers. The API approval requires the following tests:

L-38 for bearing corrosion.
Sequence IIIF for oxidation, deposits and wear.
Sequence VG for sludge, wear and varnish.
Sequence II for rust.
This slate of tests can cost over $75,000 to run – considerably more than the simple bench tests mentioned.

Red Line Oil claims to have 100 percent polyolester base stocks. Are these different or better than the base stocks used in Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™?
We are very familiar with polyolesters. In fact, we manufacture them and use them in our aviation jet engine oils such as Mobil Jet Oil II® and Mobil Jet Oil 254® and in our refrigeration compressor lubricants, where the polyolesters are utilized for their compatibility with new HFC refrigerants. Polyolesters are indeed excellent at high-temperature oxidation stability and low volatility.

However, our work on automobile engines and jet engine designs has shown that polyalphaolefins (PAOs) offer the best all-around performance for gasoline engines due to their:

Being completely compatible with conventional oils and gasoline engine seals.
Providing both low- and high-temperature performance.
Providing a stable oil in the presence of water and moisture.
Having anti-rust capabilities.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I found the BMW oil faq -- another good launching point.
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/misc/all_oilfaq.html
Old 03-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Explanation of Oil

Originally posted by gsrblack
Anyone know of a good link that explains the different grades of motor oil for a car? Or if you can, please explain...like what the numbers mean...5w-20 etc.

Thanks.
What Slimey said. His explanation of viscosity is pretty acurate. For AZ I'd use a good 5-30.

The other things to look for in oil are detergent capability (any brand name oil meeting the SAE requirements will do the trick) and also heat resistance - this as an important one. Again, any good brand name oil works for a while. The problem is that they break down over time and exposure to excess heat.

This is where synthetics come in. The best ones have dramatically better resistance to heat and go for long periods of time without breaking down. (That's why the much longer oil change intervals.) This is especially important in turbocharged motors. The turbo bearings run VERY hot (the exhaust gases going over the impeller blades). Everythings OK while the motor is running, but when you shut it down the oil in the turbo is trapped there and exposed to the heat for much longer. Conventional oils begin to "coke" that is break down from the heat. When you start up again you have some essentially useless oil in your crankcase - over time it adds up to a lot of dead oil.

So, what to do? Change oil every 3 - 5 thousand miles (depending on driving conditions) and any good brand of oil will work well and give you plenty of protection. If you opt for the longer oil change intervals and the extra protection that you may never need from synthetics (but which cost more) that's good too.

A word of caution on longer oil changes. The synthetics will last a really long time and keep all their lubricating properties, but -- there will be just as much dirt and junk per mile driven put into suspension in the oil as with regular dino oil. 10,000 miles means twice as much dirt as a 5,000 mile change. USE A REALLY GOOD FILTER. Some who use syn's change the filter at the mid point of the oil change mileage.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:33 PM
Where is my super sauce?

More food for thought -- oil filters.

Check out http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml for a nice 'deconstruction' of various products.

I must also complement Starter on an unbiased opinion.

GSRBlack -- be careful about what you read. A lot of oil recommendations come from product salesmanship and not from hard data. You will do fine if you follow the manual for intervals and use a brand name dino product; you will also do fine if you use a synthetic. Just don't go too long with either product (exception is the Amsoil designed for loooonnnnng intervals) and don't forget to change your oil filter.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

I use one of the above brands and found that by doing oil analysis, for my car only,, that 10k miles is where I change,,, The first analysis was with one filter,, I now change filters at 5k and will do another analysis next month,,,
Old 03-26-2003, 06:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by fender4
I use one of the above brands and found that by doing oil analysis, for my car only,, that 10k miles is where I change,,, The first analysis was with one filter,, I now change filters at 5k and will do another analysis next month,,,
Let us know what you find out.