Engine Knocking and Warped Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Knocking and Warped Rotors?

I use premium gas but my engine knocks when I go up hills or when the AC on. Is this common or should I take it in?

Also If I put on the breaks going 40mph or above the steering wheel starts to shake. Could the brake rotors we warped?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock brakes on the CLS are undersized/not well ventilated. Warping is very common. I've had 3 sets of rotors... it sucks if you do not mind taking the car back to the dealer every 12-15k miles for warped rotors. Keep doing it. Otherwise I suggest getting some after market rotors ...

Engine knocking is somewhat common, but more on the TL (don't ask why)

Here is some info from the TL board. I would bet it's the gas they use in california. Try another station for the next fillups.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...t=engine+knock

I've done a search and read most of the postings on this topic, but I still have a question. This weekend, I experienced knocking in my engine for the first time. To start, my TL-S has 3000 miles, I haven't changed the oil yet, and I only use 91 octane gas (that's all that's available here in CA).

The first time I noticed it, I wasn't too concerned. I was heading up a steep incline (a boat ramp), and I had the car in a D3, I believe. I assumed it had something to do with the incline and let it go.

But today, I was in D5 on a flat surface, just pulling away from a stop sign?!? WTF, I don't get it! Was it just a bad tank of gas and should I wait to see if it goes away with the next tank?

Any thoughts, ideas......or am I just being paranoid?

I agree with this guy...
feel that part of the problem may be the oxygenated fuels or Re Formulated Gasoline mandated by CARB and the EPA in California and other places for wintertime use. You guys that are complaining do all live in CA, it seems.

The following links to the Chevron web site may provide some answers. It's certainly easier for me than retyping!

Anyway, it goes into the mechanics of what the fuel is and how it interacts with your vehicle. It comments on detriments to fuel economy but does not say anything about engine knock. It seems that all Mfr's and the Gov say that it should have no effect, that new computerized cars with knock and O2 sensors can adjust.

Chevron on Oxygenated Fuels

Chevron RFG FAQ

EPA RFG Home Page: EPA RFG

This is a link to the EPA which says it will not affect your car: EPA link

Another EPA link on fuel economy factors: EPA link 2

Impacted areas in US: Click

A MUST READ: 1999 Fuel Recommendations by Mfr. Look under Honda.

I have seen the issue of engine knock and oxygenated fuels surface in a few forums but cannot find them right now. Either way, it's something to consider.

However, I can certainly tell you that several of my vehicles have had issues with the winter fuels when I lived in Arizona. Right now my car just feels more sluggish. No knock yet.

$.02
Good luck on the gas problems! Hopefully you have some qualified people at the dealership. I'd take it to them 1st.... but I already said what I think the problem is.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
California gas could be part of the prob. I've heard another possibility is carbon builup which will increases the compression ratio of the car though that's more likely in dry climates. If your experiencing this going up a hill try using a lower gear. I sometimes experience a slight knock when accelerating away from a stop on a cold engine & I use 92 or 93 octane. As soon as the engine is warm it disappears.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:40 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the California Gas is one problem. The highest octane we can get is 91. And all the junk they put in it can help. Thanks for the help guys.