ENGINE DIED!! Part out or Keep?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Lives On BOOST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ENGINE DIED!! Part out or Keep?!

Last thursday night I was coming back from a friends house with a buddy of mine at about 1230 and I was going onto an onramp simply going through the gears then all of a sudden when I shifted to 6th I felt a vibration throughout the whole car and then noise from the engine which didn't sound good. It was like a 'tink, tink, click click' noise like something was loose so i put it in neutral and everything stopped. I tried putting it back in gear and I the sound was even worse and I felt the car about to die. The ebrake light went on (even though my ebrake wasn't up) and so did all the other lights so i quickly put it back in neutral and I felt the car die immediately. Luckily there was hardly any cars so i got the chance to take the closest offramp and hardly make it up the hill. Called the tow truck and had them tow it to my dads friends shop. That was seriously the worst fucking feeling in my life! So, the next day my the shop looked at it and they basically told me that my block was cracked and the car wouldnt turn over at all. Tommorow I'm going to find out more but my block is pretty much toast and now I'm in a situation where do i part out my car or look for a new block, etc. Would it be worth it? How about putting a 3.5 liter in? Any places, im going to call the junkyards tommorow. It just sucks b/c i got my car like 4-5 months ago and I already spent crucial $ on it, so if theres a way to salvage it w/out spending hella money, i'll do it.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:00 PM
666 Speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get an engine from an auto type S, you will have to re-do a lot of things on it. Things like the cam gears, crank sensor, and various other things. In the mean time you should change your clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, timing belt, water pump and so on, on that new engine since its out and everything is accessible.

Either way, the 6 speed is rare, and if you decide to part, let me know as I will probably want to get that tranny off of you.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Lives On BOOST

Originally Posted by artbran
If you get an engine from an auto type S, you will have to re-do a lot of things on it. Things like the cam gears, crank sensor, and various other things. In the mean time you should change your clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, timing belt, water pump and so on, on that new engine since its out and everything is accessible.

Either way, the 6 speed is rare, and if you decide to part, let me know as I will probably want to get that tranny off of you.
i'll let you know. I know the 6spd tranny is rare, but do you think it would be worth putting in a 3.5 mdx engine in?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:34 PM
EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE!

Unless you got like 5k I believe it is to do that.

No I want the tranny!!!

How many miles are on your car???
Old 09-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Lives On BOOST

79k and some change
Old 09-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Drifting

that really sucks.

if you do decide ot part out the engine, i may be interested in the intake manifold.

are you in san francisco or frisco, texas?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:43 PM
666 Speed

lol I was first..

If I was you, I would look for another Type S engine and drop it in. Here... go to this site and buy a type S acura from 02-03 TL/CL and do what I told you earlier. www.ridesafely.com

As far as converting the engines over, you would have to contact fsttyms1 as he did it when he did his 6 speed conversion: https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/anybody-have-sony-t616-132270/ And you already have all the parts that you need so it shouldnt be that hard...

DRM, I have the Type S manifold for sale if you want it. Its just the manifold though and doesnt include the IMRC plates, however, I can probably find them.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Lives On BOOST

Originally Posted by DRM600
that really sucks.

if you do decide ot part out the engine, i may be interested in the intake manifold.

are you in san francisco or frisco, texas?
san francisco
Old 09-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
sad to see a 6spd go like that. save it you can. but if you decide to part out i want the pulley
Old 09-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Instructor

Hey ART how does that rdesafely website work? I was checkin some shit out on there and was wondering if after the guys w/ autos trannys go out after the 100k mark if we could get one from them for cheaper. Also, aren't you military? I thought I read that in another post. I'm navy myself, out in Lemoore Ca.....boats suck unless you have a wake board behind it!
-Baum
Old 09-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
That's very odd. The engine should not just die like that. You telling us everything? No missed downshifts past redline? No other problems with it?

Do you know if your car was included in the tensioner/water pump recall? If it was & wasn't fixed, Acura might be responsible for the damages. There's a thread on that recall to check your vin #.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:24 AM
666 Speed

Originally Posted by BaumBizzle
Hey ART how does that rdesafely website work? I was checkin some shit out on there and was wondering if after the guys w/ autos trannys go out after the 100k mark if we could get one from them for cheaper. Also, aren't you military? I thought I read that in another post. I'm navy myself, out in Lemoore Ca.....boats suck unless you have a wake board behind it!
-Baum

Its a bid site. What happens is they post the salvaged cars that insurance companies need to get rid of and people bid on it. They collect the highest offer and then send that to the Insurance co. If you got the highest price out of all the other sites out there, then you get the car. You pick it up or have it shipped... I got my second first gen from there along with another my current CLS6... I bought the first gen which was "totaled" with only $3000 worth of damages (thats after taxes and everything) and the CLS6 I got with a clean title and nothing on the carfax...

As far as military, I'm not. Many have been asking me that though and I'm not sure why...

I used to own a boat and it was fun as hell only when I was behind it on either a wake board or ski's so I know what you mean!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Do you know if your car was included in the tensioner/water pump recall? If it was & wasn't fixed, Acura might be responsible for the damages. There's a thread on that recall to check your vin #.
Acura sent recall notices to owners (I got one) telling us to bring them in. If the owner does not bring the car in to get it fixed it's not Acura's fault and they are not responsible.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Lives On BOOST

That's very odd. The engine should not just die like that. You telling us everything? No missed downshifts past redline? No other problems with it?

When I got the car the hood was misaligned and the owner told me that someone had bumped into him, therefore he had to get the front repainted. The shop thinks it might have been more than a bump, to the extent that that "bump" affected the engine. As far as recall, not sure, but I'll check that out.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Zippee
Acura sent recall notices to owners (I got one) telling us to bring them in. If the owner does not bring the car in to get it fixed it's not Acura's fault and they are not responsible.
If it was bought used it may be different. How is a used buyer supposed to know? I know with my used CLS it was in the recall only cause I knew about it. If I didn't I would never have know about it.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Sundance Gold in

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
RIDESAFELY is a russian!!! site that relists coparts.com auctions publicly. they are not auction site and they do not own these cars. what they do is bid for you at coparts auction up to set by you limit. they win it lower - they cash the difference + 300 fee. they lose it - you get deposit refunded.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Sundance Gold in

did you ever over revd this engine. looks like twisted crank shaft bearings and or cracked crank rod
Old 09-04-2007, 01:40 PM
666 Speed

Originally Posted by celynka
RIDESAFELY is a russian!!! site that relists coparts.com auctions publicly. they are not auction site and they do not own these cars. what they do is bid for you at coparts auction up to set by you limit. they win it lower - they cash the difference + 300 fee. they lose it - you get deposit refunded.

Of course he is Russian. But thats the thing. I rather deal with them when I need to rather than pay coparts monthly. I'll let them pay and me pay a service charge. Not only that, I'm on "good" terms with the owner there sooo yeah...

getting back on topic, I say you buy a totaled Acura type S and rip the engine out of it to put it in yours.. Comes out cheaper than just buying an engine.. Best part is, you can then part the car and sell all the parts...
Old 09-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd just buy a new short block from acura and swap over your cam and crank gears;.. and cam and crank sensors. you can get a short block for about 1500.00 brand new. If the heads are bad, it would cost you about 2500 for a longblock. It's worth keeping as your motor seems to have been an exception for that kind of failure.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:43 PM
666 Speed

Or what ThinJim is suggesting.. I was thinking the same thing when I opened this the first time. Just didnt know where to find a short block
Old 09-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Sundance Gold in

Of course he is Russian. But thats the thing. I rather deal with them when I need to rather than pay coparts monthly. I'll let them pay and me pay a service charge. Not only that, I'm on "good" terms with the owner there sooo yeah...

getting back on topic, I say you buy a totaled Acura type S and rip the engine out of it to put it in yours.. Comes out cheaper than just buying an engine.. Best part is, you can then part the car and sell all the parts...
exactly! just wanted to point out that copart cant figure this out on their own and we need to use third party.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

If it was bought used it may be different. How is a used buyer supposed to know? I know with my used CLS it was in the recall only cause I knew about it. If I didn't I would never have know about it.
If the previous owner got a notice and ignored it I don't see that Acura is at fault now.

Any owner can go to the Acura website or a dealer with the VIN and have it checked for open recalls. A good idea with any used car.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:55 AM
Lives On BOOST

Originally Posted by celynka
did you ever over revd this engine. looks like twisted crank shaft bearings and or cracked crank rod
Nope. That would be an explanation for the cause, but I was going through the gears and not downshifting. I know its possible to miss gears in either situation (up or downshifting), but I was crusing up to speed and simply going through the gears rather than really pushing them.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Lives On BOOST

Originally Posted by ThinJim
I'd just buy a new short block from acura and swap over your cam and crank gears;.. and cam and crank sensors. you can get a short block for about 1500.00 brand new. If the heads are bad, it would cost you about 2500 for a longblock. It's worth keeping as your motor seems to have been an exception for that kind of failure.
I know, I don't want to part it out considering i basically just got it and ive already invested alot of time/$ into it. If its the short block then i can live with it, but I'm still waiting to hear from the shop on exactly what needs to be fixed, etc.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Lives On BOOST

K, so the shop called and the mechanic said he has never seen anything like this. To keep it short, he said that the inside of the engine had literally disenegrated. WTF!! There was like 2 cylinders left. Were thinking the timing belt could have prematurely snapped b/c i didn't miss any gears so overreving is out of the question. Im going to get ahold of acura of america to find out if the car had any recalls, but I'll have to wait till 2m. Either way, I'm out of a car for at least a month prob. and driving the fam. volvo and taking the bus is already starting to bug the shit out of me!
Old 09-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
www.mypartshop.com
Old 09-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ThinJim
I'm with ThinJim on this one. Go with the shortblock and keep it. You know what you've got with yours and with a fresh motor, you should be able to enjoy it for many years to come.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Pro

i hope its gets fixed. a rare car shouldnt go to waste. but i call dibs on headlights
Old 09-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't personally spend 5k on a new engine... go here

www.car-part.com

and call it a day.

You can find CL-S auto engines and can easily convert them to a CLS6. Spend less than a grand for an engine and about a grand on converting the engine.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Lives On BOOST

Here's the deal: Tomorrow I'm ordering a cls engine from engineworld in cali and its gonna cost me around $1100. Install is gonna cost about $2000 for the engine, new clutch, flywheel, and all the other shit I didn't mention, so Im looking at 3,000. The new cls engine has less than 40k on it so thats a start, but there goes the bank. I need to find a clutch but Im not sure what to get. Any suggestions? Someone better than oem. Also, should i get the rt cat since im gonna have to replace it sooner or later. The engine im getting is for the auto cls, so could I put a unichip or an ecu mod in, or would it still not work?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Lives On BOOST

Does the cls auto engine make less power than the cls6 engine?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:44 PM
666 Speed

They are the same engine, so no. They make the same power. You will always have more power from a manual than auto since the auto needs pressure from the engine to change gears..

Its your choice on what you do with this, but you need to change the cam gears and such also, so you could change the water pump too? just a though.. Also, since you have it apart, even though it has only 40k miles, you can either re-use the tbelt or slap a new one on..
Old 09-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Racer

WTF did acura not provide you with a loaner or anything?? It is kind of weird for a 6spd to go out like that??
Old 09-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Lives On BOOST

Originally Posted by VinceBlkCLS
WTF did acura not provide you with a loaner or anything?? It is kind of weird for a 6spd to go out like that??
i know, bs, shop thinks the timing belt snapped prematurely
Old 09-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Lives On BOOST

They are the same engine, so no. They make the same power. You will always have more power from a manual than auto since the auto needs pressure from the engine to change gears..

Its your choice on what you do with this, but you need to change the cam gears and such also, so you could change the water pump too? just a though.. Also, since you have it apart, even though it has only 40k miles, you can either re-use the tbelt or slap a new one on..
those things are definetly on the top of my list
Old 09-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VinceBlkCLS
Why would Acura provide a loaner when the work is not being done at an Acura dealer????
Old 09-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
well if the shop had dismantled the motor far enough to see that there were only 2 cyls left they should have seen if the timing belt had snapped. Did they say it was snapped?

I would either do what thinjim said or look for a used motor. I picked up a J32A2 for 800 bucks with 30k on it. It wouldnt be hard at all to convert it to the manual motor. Tell them to keep your old motor around so that you can reuse the cam gear and the 3 sensors. It will save money (alot) if the motor you find is a auto motor
Old 09-07-2007, 11:50 AM
666 Speed

fsttyms1, at 12:49 today, you have 33,333 posts... Nice Figured i'd point it out.

Anyway, Isnt the crank sensor close to $500 new? I remember that being one of the issues when you did your conversion in your TL.

Oh and kris, can you get pics of your torn up engine? I kinda wanna see the horrible mess... Haha
Old 09-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Lives On BOOST

fsttyms1, at 12:49 today, you have 33,333 posts... Nice Figured i'd point it out.

Anyway, Isnt the crank sensor close to $500 new? I remember that being one of the issues when you did your conversion in your TL.

Oh and kris, can you get pics of your torn up engine? I kinda wanna see the horrible mess... Haha
my dad took pics, so i'll get them up eventually. All there is is little metal pieces and whats left of the gaskets. Not a pretty sight!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Lives On BOOST

engine will be going in this week. I'll try to post pics but ive been soo busy.

Quick Reply: ENGINE DIED!! Part out or Keep?!