EGR Valve Replacement - No Engine Light/Cost to Replace

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 06:18 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Valve Replacement - No Engine Light/Cost to Replace

I brought my '01 CLS into the dealer last week because the car stalled out on me a few times at low idles. I have 57K miles on the car and figured it just needed to be tuned up. No engine light came on indicating any kind of problem, yet it was running pretty rough at low idles for a few weeks and then finally stalled out, so I finally brought it in. I read several posts about this problem and most said their engine light came on and several even indicated the dealer replaced the EGR valve free of charge. Others said it just needed to be cleaned out. Since they had to order the part I haven't actually brought her back yet to have it replaced and was hoping some of you who had it replaced for free could shed some light on this for me because my dealer told me it will cost $225 to replace. I also thought it was strange that my engine light never came on. I'll be asking them about that when I do bring it back. This dealer has been helpful to me in the past but I have also had problems with them as well so I don't really trust them. Thx for your help.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:17 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Sounds like you have a sticking Idle Air Control Valve. Should be able to clean it or get it replaced for less than $100. Do a search on "Idle Air Control Valve" It's a fairly common problem.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it is the IAC valve not the EGR. It should be free, under goodwill.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:19 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it is indeed the EGR valve, itll cost about $300. just got that replaced in our oddyssey.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:50 PM
Beware of leakage

Idle Air control valve...I brought mine in over the winter for "RPMs dipping low when about to come to complete stop", I told the dealer about the IAC, and they replaced the EGR valve
I also read that the dipping of the RPMs could be due to winter gas. Since it is summer, winter gas is not your problem.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Cruisin'

Supposedly getting my car back today...

When I made the original post I stated that I have had problems with this dealer and so it is no big mystery to me that it happened again. They ordered the EGR valve and called me when it came in so I made my appt for this past Monday to have it installed. At 4:30 I still hadn't heard anything so I called them to see what was up. I was told that the power was out for most of the day due to a transformer problem and by the time they got around to my car and actually opened the box the EGR valve was in they saw that the valve was defective and needed to order another one. But don't worry, ma'am we will overnight it and replace it tomorrow, Tuesday. Well I was really busy at work yesterday and lost track of time so I didn't call them until 5:15 but the service area closed at 5:00. So I called this morning to make sure (1) they got the new EGR valve, (2) it wasn't defective this time, and (3) someone was actually going to call me today to let me know the status of the car. The Parts Manager told me that the valve came in today not yesterday because it was on back order. Hmmmm, I wonder why it was on backorder...could there be a problem with these valves? They better have it done today. This is the last time I go to this dealer. If I was to judge my CLS on service alone I would say this is the worst car I have ever owned! BUT, it is the most enjoyable ride I have ever had and love it. Almost as much as my motorcycle...

I had the transmission replaced at 24K - it took me 4 trips to the dealer bitching about the tranny b4 they did anything to help (replaced the tranny fluid) which only made it worse

I had the radio/CD player replaced at 44K - CDs kept getting stuck in the player and they told me it was because I was playing homemade CDs

I had the leather seat covers replaced at 46K - I am the only driver of the car and weigh 120 lbs, no kids to mess it up, husband isn't allowed to drive it

And I religiously get the car serviced and change the oil
Old 07-23-2004, 06:03 AM
Cruisin'

Picked the car up on Wednesday. I was not charged the $225 I was quoted. This seems to happen to me quite frequently and is the reason why I keep going back to this dealer for repairs...
Old 07-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

man this is such shaddy business

if you look at most peoples post about EGR replacement it has come either just over 50k or below 60k miles

my sisters accord went out at 52k miles and i have had problems with mine at 53k

so i guess this will be the most common thing to replace once you hit 50k miles and coincidentally that is when the warranty expires...

sidemarker
Old 07-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wonder if this has anything to do with my problem. My car for the past 6 months, cold weather, hot weather, summer, winter gas, its always the same, when I first start it on a cold start, pull out of the driveway and try to go, when I accelerate slowly, for the first instant I hit the gas the car bogs bad, just about dies and then drives normal. it will do this over and over again everytime i barely hit the gas for about 2 minutes until it starts warming up a little, then its normal. I have cleaned the TB and it didn't help. It did this before and after the s/c install so thats not the issue. Could this have to do with the EGR valve? I doubt its the IAC because the car idles perfectly normal. Any help?
Old 07-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flint
Wonder if this has anything to do with my problem. My car for the past 6 months, cold weather, hot weather, summer, winter gas, its always the same, when I first start it on a cold start, pull out of the driveway and try to go, when I accelerate slowly, for the first instant I hit the gas the car bogs bad, just about dies and then drives normal. it will do this over and over again everytime i barely hit the gas for about 2 minutes until it starts warming up a little, then its normal. I have cleaned the TB and it didn't help. It did this before and after the s/c install so thats not the issue. Could this have to do with the EGR valve? I doubt its the IAC because the car idles perfectly normal. Any help?
I had that same problem after I install the supercharge. I turn up the fuel pressure and it gone. I think I am the only one that fixed that problem by turning up the fuel pressure.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:14 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The fuel pressure is so high as it is I hate to turn it up more. I doubt it would do anything though because I had the same problem before the s/c

Originally Posted by sgmotoring
I had that same problem after I install the supercharge. I turn up the fuel pressure and it gone. I think I am the only one that fixed that problem by turning up the fuel pressure.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:36 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
IAC valve

It sounds like the dealerships have all agreed to maintain an approximately equal level of mediocrity. I guess three letters followed by "valve" is the same part... But an idle air control valve regulates idle speed. An exhaust gas recirculation valve lets a little bit of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber as part of the emissions control system's feedback loop. On our cars, it is common for the IAC valve to stick, from being faulty or dirty, causing engine speed surges and stalling. I'm going to speculate that you wouldn't notice a bad EGR valve unless you were analyzing the exhaust emissions....
Next week: PCV valve