Dual-Stage Induction (IMRC) Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 08:37 PM
Oh...Behave!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dual-Stage Induction (IMRC) Problems

Help!... I need those members names that had problems with their intake actuator!

Mine quit working last week and the Dealer (South Coast Acura) is being a dickhead about doing anything about it! The Service Mgr., Shawn, says that the computer code showed no error. However, it is NOT opening at 3800 RPM (like it used to) and there is a VERY noticable drop in engine growl, performance, and acceleration. I guess it feels like about a 30% reduction in power!

I told him about the other member's problems. I even showed him copies of the archived topic starting back when scalbert and droideka first posted about it. I even got the keys to a new Type S on the lot, started it and SHOWED him that it flipped at 3800-4000 RPM. He still said that he won't do anything about it until he hears something about it from ACURA! What a dick! He said that they called ACURA Tech line, and were told that it opens at different RPM levels based upon load conditions, etc... I even went on a test drive with the technician, Matt - I said, "Can't you feel the car struggling - like it's starving for air and fuel?" Matt says, "No man, it feels fine to me!" - what a great mechanic!
I mean, how much more proof do they need that the part is defective?
What a bunch of idiots! Is this the way you're supposed to be treated as an ACURA owner, or is this just a shitty Dealership?
I'm considering filing a complaint against them with the BBB and The Automotive Bureau.

So, I called the ACURA customer service and they are going to open a file to investigate. The problem is the guy says it will be 5 days before I hear anything!

It would help if I had Dealer names and dates of the the repairs from the others who had problems! ... Please HELP! We need to get ACURA aware of this problem! Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Ogolden1 (edited 04-29-2001).]
Old 04-26-2001, 08:41 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Use the proper channels. Let Acura customer care look into it. Have drink and chill. Did you sent copies to Customer care ? If not, I suggest you email it to them if possible. It will get resolved !

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 04-26-2001, 08:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience exaclty (with the dealer's attitude, not the intake). I REFUSE ot take my car back to the dealer!

------------------
I AM

The CLEENER

Black/Parchment Type S
Polarg M6
Pirelli 235/45/17 P7000
Red AEM CAI
Iridium Plugs
35% Tint all around
Headers (when they are priced realistically)
Old 04-26-2001, 11:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Ogolden

Are you saying that the actuator isn't visibly turning at around 3800rpm. And that you showed the service guy that it wasn't turning while having him look at another car whose actuator was turning?
If so I hope you find more data on this because what more would he have to see to know that there is a problem. I reported about 2-3 weeks ago that mine car was not feeling right. My actuator would turn but that doesn't mean that the second stage is opening. In my case it might be mechanical to the plenum but your case seems way more obvious. I'm getting mine checked out at my next service. I hope you get satisfaction on this. Keep us posted and I'm sure more info will turn up for ya.

Good Luck
Rob
Old 04-26-2001, 11:39 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ogolden1:
Help!... I need those members names that had problems with their intake actuator! Mine quit working last week and the dealer (South Coast Acura) is being a dickhead about doing anything about it! The Service Mgr says that the computer code showed no error. </font>
I was the one who originally discovered this last summer and had to prove it to the dealer.

One thing to ask is what DTC would be set if the valve didn't open. It's a trick question as there is no DTC. The PCM doesn't check to be sure if it opens, it is clueless.

Secondly, the load calculation is irrelevant; it is a set RPM issue. If not opening at or near 3800 revs there is a problem.

If a car on the lot opened and yours did not, there is a problem. If they don't respond let me know. I'll contact my Acura dealer and ask them to call your tech to discuss the problem and come to a resolution.
Old 04-26-2001, 11:59 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thus far I have only seen one of these actuators fail due to a stripped gear internally.Open your hood start the engine and blip the throttle a few times and see if that motor moves the linkage on the front of the motor.You will have to blip it fairly hard but don't go crazy.If it moves it all is well, but if it does not then it's time to get into why this is so.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on
Old 04-27-2001, 12:27 AM
hater

WELL, isn't this TIMELY? Guess what? My FUCKING actuator FAILED AGAIN TODAY!!!

Only FOUR MONTHS and 5K miles later I'm driving a CL-P. Fortunately, I was the first case at my dealership and subsequently had to *prove* the existence of the problem just like scalbert. I shouldn't have any problems getting it fixed a second time. You're absolutely right, Ogolden1, it's a 30-35% loss in power from 4000 RPM on up.

The part # is:
17151-PFW J01

The invoice description is:
ACTUATOR COMP. B

The dealer is:
David McDavid Acura - 972.964.6000

Sorry you're going through so much bullshit. Hope this info helps!

Cheers,
A very SLOW droid

------------------
'01 CL-S|Sundance Gold|Spoiler|35% Tint|Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17
a study in pimp daddy gold
Old 04-27-2001, 04:51 AM
Oh...Behave!

Al Uminum - Yes, the actuator is NOT turning!

Scalbert & Droideka - Thanks for your response and info! Did either one of you have to call the Acura Customer Care to get this approved for the Dealership, or did they just do it after you proved it to them?

BTW, what is a DTC?...Diagnostic Test Code?

J.H. - I see that you are an Acura Mechanic.
What dealership? How many cars have you seen with failed actuators? Does your Dealership replace them without giving the customer a hard time?

Old 04-27-2001, 05:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Al Uminum - Yes, the actuator is NOT turning!

Scalbert & Droideka - Thanks for your response and info! Did either one of you have to call the Acura Customer Care to get this approved for the Dealership, or did they just do it after you proved it to them?

What dealership? How many cars have you seen with failed actuators? Does your Dealership replace them without giving the customer a hard time?

</font>

I left a post below about this. Did you or they do any basic tests?

Like check for a voltage at the actuator?
Check for movement at the actuator?

A diagnostic code would never appear in a non-current sensed device *and* wouldn't detect gearing issues without some kind of resolver or limit switch.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-27-2001, 09:25 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your dealership should not have to wait for permission to repair this problem. It is simple to see if the actuator is working. If it doesn't move- fix it. I, for the life of me ,cannot understand why some of these dealers refuse to listen to their customers. When that happens, everyone loses- the customer, because his problem is not fixed, Acura, because the public gets an erroneous opinon on the product quality and the dealer, because he makes no money and loses a customer. WAKE UP OUT THERE! End rant.

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
Old 04-27-2001, 12:29 PM
magnet

yeah my actuator isnt opening up neither doug told me, and i feel it im going to rick case im going on tuesday to fix it..........when he dynoed my car he had to open it manually

------------------
2001 3.5 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims(painted voltage blue with chrome lip), greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)nos fuel pressure regulator, piaa ion yellow fog lights, slammed on nex suspension (level ten torque converter, dommed topped pistons, mdx crankshaft, rods , bearings, heads ported and polished, vtec timing

my old car www.hondatech.org/99acv6ic.html
my cl http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...064&Sequence=0
Old 04-27-2001, 01:23 PM
Racer

Ogolden1, I was the one that Jens was talking about. By the way Jens and Wayne thanks again! When you turn the key tho the second position I was hearing a buzz which was a stripped gear. I would suggest a CLS vs CLS test to you. Have the Dealer drive yours and tell him to keep up with you on a straight away. I would guess that he won't be able to if you have a perfect CLS and he is driving yours. Just watch the one he picks so he doesn't unplug the actuator. That may be another way to drive home the point.

------------------
Silver S
Black Xephyr Intake
Valentine 1 (Hard wired)
Old 04-27-2001, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i remember seeing the topic about the actuator a couple weeks ago...someone mentioned that there is a possibility that even if the actuator moves, it still doesn't open up the valves.

i haven't opened up my thing yet to see if the mechanics of it are (im)possible [that it can go wrong that way], but has anyone determined an answer to this?
Old 04-27-2001, 07:15 PM
Racer

what dealership do you go to? and what happened to the customer is always right mentality. .

------------------
'01 cl-s blk/blk :: comptech headers, comptech springs, comptech sway bars
Old 04-27-2001, 11:07 PM
Oh...Behave!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by so cal type s:
what dealership do you go to?
</font>
Try "reading" my post - It states the dealer (SOUTH COAST ACURA) in the first sentence of the first paragraph!

OBVIOUSLY, I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM!!!

[This message has been edited by Ogolden1 (edited 04-28-2001).]
Old 04-27-2001, 11:09 PM
Oh...Behave!

</font>

[This message has been edited by Ogolden1 (edited 04-27-2001).]
Old 04-27-2001, 11:14 PM
Oh...Behave!

</font>
Old 04-27-2001, 11:41 PM
hater

Ogolden1,

I DID NOT have to call Acura Customer Care. I simply went into the dealership and told them I had a problem. I explained the situation, which of course they've never heard of, and was grilled for a bit on why I, a white-collar guy, would have the first clue as to what might be wrong. Let's face it, most Acura customers are schmucks who barely know when to fill their cars with gas. We as enthusiasts are the MINORITY and for us to think we might know more than the techs is ludicrous.

After arguing for a bit with the S.A., I simply said, "fix the motherfucker." After contacting the Acura Tech Line my S.A. was actually very apologetic about doubting my understanding of the IMRC and offered up a free oil change for putting me through the inquisition.

Tell your lazy-ass, shiftless dealership to call David McDavid to get the scoop. I'll be dropping mine off on Monday to get it fixed again.

------------------
'01 CL-S|Sundance Gold|Spoiler|35% Tint|Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17
a study in pimp daddy gold
Old 04-28-2001, 04:51 AM
Oh...Behave!

Well, I decided to take some action today.

I filed a complaint with the BBB against South Coast Acura. Then, I emailed and faxed copies of our posts regarding the IMRC problems to both the owner of South Coast Acura, AND to Acura Customer Service.

I should get some response within a few days!

I'll keep you all posted!
Old 04-28-2001, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Your input to the owner should yeild some response.

I did have to convince mu dealer. But after several discussions they realized that I do have a bit knowledge and they began understanding my point. By simply drilling them about their knowledge you can get by the initial front.

BTW, they don't question my statement as they had been any longer.