Driver's Seat...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 07:24 PM
Honkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's Seat...

Is it just me, or does our driver's seat seem way higher than the passenger's seat?
Old 11-13-2001, 07:36 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Yup. You are correct. It feels like you are sitting on it rather than in it. I got used to it though. Never did figure out why. I always thought it could be lower in the car.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:30 PM
Racer

Yep... I agree, this is the first thing I noticed when I hopped into the CL-S to test drive it. I immediately tried to lower the seat and when it stopped I thought "this is as low as it goes??" But I agree you do get used to it. I found the perfect combination of distance from the pedals vs angle of the seat back with the seat all the way down and now its pretty comfortable.
Old 11-14-2001, 04:27 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing i wish the CL-S had that it doesnt is a telescoping steering wheel. I can get the seat perfect but the wheel seems to still be too far away. Just my 2 cents..
Old 11-14-2001, 08:08 PM
Racer

Maybe a little high but the cowl line is a little high too so I got used to it. You guys need to ride in an RSX for a while. Bus Benches with cloth !
Old 11-14-2001, 09:31 PM
Old timer

I never noticed the driver's seat being higher, but I took wished for a telescoping wheel. You know, just so I could be gangstagangsta and sit practically in the back seat while I drive.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

maybe you guys have big asses
Old 11-14-2001, 11:25 PM
Powered By HONDA

it is becuase the driver's seat is height adjustable but passenger's seat is not..that is why makes u deem so and even if u lower the driver's seat to the lowerest position.u might still think it is lower maybe:P
Old 11-15-2001, 07:36 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

The first thing I reached for was the seat height adjustment and it was all the way down. As far as a telescoping wheel, maybe you need to re-evaluate the way you drive. I changed my stance completely after attending Skip Barber's Performance Driving School. I am 6'2" and 190lbs, so not big ass (yet). They say you should adjust your seat so that the legs are not straight out but comfortably on the pedals. You should be able to sit in the seat and with your arms almost straight (with a slight dip in the elbow, maybe forming a 170 degree angle), your wrists should rest on the top of the wheel. Then and only then are you in the proper position. That gives you ample leverage and room to control the car in violent maneuvers. They force you to drive around on bald tires on wet pavement in a circle and keep going until you spin. They teach you to spin at will and then control the car. I learned tons and I thought I knew it all. Next they teach you to adjust your mirrors where you actually look at the blind spot. A thread earlier last week told how to do that. Great experience for me.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:00 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by gto2050
The first thing I reached for was the seat height adjustment and it was all the way down. As far as a telescoping wheel, maybe you need to re-evaluate the way you drive. I changed my stance completely after attending Skip Barber's Performance Driving School. I am 6'2" and 190lbs, so not big ass (yet). They say you should adjust your seat so that the legs are not straight out but comfortably on the pedals. You should be able to sit in the seat and with your arms almost straight (with a slight dip in the elbow, maybe forming a 170 degree angle), your wrists should rest on the top of the wheel. Then and only then are you in the proper position. That gives you ample leverage and room to control the car in violent maneuvers. They force you to drive around on bald tires on wet pavement in a circle and keep going until you spin. They teach you to spin at will and then control the car. I learned tons and I thought I knew it all. Next they teach you to adjust your mirrors where you actually look at the blind spot. A thread earlier last week told how to do that. Great experience for me.

Man I want to go to a school like that. I just don't have the $$$.

Anyway, I kinda sit like that already, so at least my positioning is right.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:03 AM
foe
Racer

How much did it cost you to attend the school, also what do you learn.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:16 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Originally posted by foe
How much did it cost you to attend the school, also what do you learn.
The school was $2500. I am going to take my son and go through it with him when he turns 16 (2 years). They teach you handling, vehicle dynamics, threshold braking and basic autocross. First 2 hours are classroom talk about vehicle dynamics, then they put you on a skid pad that has its own built-in sprinkler system. They wet it down and put you in a car with all seats filled (for observation). There are 2 cars on the pad at a time. The pad is huge, about 200' across. The two cars are 180 degrees from each other going around in a circle on bald tires. You go faster and faster around the circle trying to hold the car from spinning and then finally making it spin but at your command, not the cars. Soon you are able to spin and recover at will. This goes on for about 2 hours until lunch. While others do that same thing, you move on to threshold braking. (Applying the brakes at 9/10ths to stop with ABS disabled). Then lane change maneuvers, and finally handling around a small road course. It's about a 1/2 mile of very twisty, changing elevation road. You have 1 other person in the car with you, the instructor. He talks you around the course by telling you when to brake, accelerate, feather, etc.

That's day 1.

Day 2 starts with a recap of the previous day, more maneuvering and finally putting you on the course with no one in the car in a LeMans style race. 2 cars on the track at a time. No passing allowed but you are racing as a team and against the clock. You never come close to the other car. You do 3 laps and then change drivers. At the end the add up all the times and declare a winning team. The winning team gets a Skip Barber shirt and hat. The loser gets to clean up. (They get their hat and shirt later). My team won. Very worthwhile for handling in snow and ice and even rain.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

I wish there was a school like that in New England.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:36 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Originally posted by AndyXXL
I wish there was a school like that in New England.
There is. It's in Lime Rock CT! That's where I went. I lived in California then but we went as a team in November when the leaves were changing.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by gto2050
There is. It's in Lime Rock CT! That's where I went. I lived in California then but we went as a team in November when the leaves were changing.
Oh, that's nice. I'm going to CT next weekend, so I'll try to stop by that place maybe talk to some people if they're still open.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:43 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Originally posted by AndyXXL

Oh, that's nice. I'm going to CT next weekend, so I'll try to stop by that place maybe talk to some people if they're still open.
Lime Rock is up in the northwest corner of the state, very close to NY state. It's a beautiful drive or would have been 3 weeks ago.