drafty drivers door/window

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drafty drivers door/window

tried searching and got no results

for the last couple of days it has been real loud in my car...sounds like a seal around the window or door is bad or something...anyone have this problem? it mostly resembles the sound if you dont have your window completely up...thanks in advance
Old 02-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Check the window rubber around the door. I had it pinched by the window & needed to get it replaced. Look from outside the car & move the window up & down.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:01 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
well.. my door actually bent itself out of shape! who knows how. but the fix is, to physically look at the door. if the seal is too far in or too far out (the actual frame of the door), then sit inside and either push or pull the frame. be careful though, too far and you'll bust your door.. ahha
Old 02-28-2008, 07:02 PM
666 Speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I got my car I had the same thing coming from the pass side. Turned out that, just like the previous post, the door was bent outward. It closed alright but the upper portion stuck out about 1/4 of an inch. I bent it back and everything was good as new.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm getting wind noise from the driver's window only. I also notice that when I hold down the window switch to close it, it goes up a millimeter or so, the door panels gets "sucked in" slightly, and the noise is gone! On the passenger side when I hold the button to close the window it doesn't move at all and the panel stays still. I hear a click like the window relay knows its closed that I don't get on the driver's door.

I know the previous owner at the driver's window replaced. Any chance there is a way to adjust or tweak the regulators? Do other hear that same "cut off click" on their driver's door window that I hear from my passenger door when you press the button to close the window and it is already fully closed? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-15-2010, 12:37 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
that window might not be adjusted correctly, but anyways does the window seem to go up striaght (like is the top of the glass at the same angle as on the passenger side, when going up???), it may be as simple as pulling the door panel off, then loosening a 10mm bolt, put the window fully up, then just tightening the bolt (and kinda pull it in the direction you want before retightening)

hard to tell exactly without actually seeing the car itself
Old 05-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by friesm2000
that window might not be adjusted correctly, but anyways does the window seem to go up striaght (like is the top of the glass at the same angle as on the passenger side, when going up???), it may be as simple as pulling the door panel off, then loosening a 10mm bolt, put the window fully up, then just tightening the bolt (and kinda pull it in the direction you want before retightening)

hard to tell exactly without actually seeing the car itself
Good advice. That sounds refreshingly simple. And yes, it seems to function properly and go straight up. Just a matter of not "thinking" its all the way up when it is, if that makes any sense! Will give it a go, thanks.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:21 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by CLSspeedx
Good advice. That sounds refreshingly simple. And yes, it seems to function properly and go straight up. Just a matter of not "thinking" its all the way up when it is, if that makes any sense! Will give it a go, thanks.
but yeah when you do a regulator, you normally gotta undo those alignments bolts too, and so if the shop never took the time to readjust those when putting it all back together (especially if they were a bottom feeder/cheapest price, so they would not take the time to do it correctly), you could easily have an issue as you are describing

it's not the most precise adjustment either, but is critical to the window sealing correctly though (normally i just put the window all the way up, then pull slightly the adjustment in the direction i want [normally bring the front of the window up more], then tighten the bolts up [it should kinda self-adjust if the adjustment bolts are left loose, then tightened afterwards
Old 05-15-2010, 03:29 PM
B A N N E D

remember no two doors are exactly the same, or panes of glass either, too many variables, so the factory has to put in some sort of adjustability for the windows to seal correctly (and remember with yours being a 2 door, the glass itslef is longer, so any possible misalignment, is going to show up easier on yours then on a 4-door with shorter windows [front to rear wise on the car])