dont let loved ones drive your car!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004 | 07:10 PM
cl-:P

dont let loved ones drive your car!

So here could be one of the worst mistakes i ever made, I LET MY MOM DRIVE MY CAR! I had it parked on a hill near my house with the parking brake on. My moms car was being serviced and i let her use mine. I get home to see her driving it back, and of course, with the parking brake on the whole time. So i was a little pissed about that untill she asked me why there was a #2 next to the spedometer, when i explaind what triptronix were, she proceeded to tell me that she had just drove it all day like that including on the highway going 65 mph! This post is basically useless, but i had to vent somwhere!
Old 02-22-2004 | 07:12 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Hey, what can you do...she's your mom.

Can't say no to the woman that bought you into this world.

But, I draw the line at my parents...nobody else...not even the g/f
Old 02-22-2004 | 07:15 PM
17 and loving it

wow...thtas killer..ive heard alot of stories aobut the parking brake....not that big of a deal....but in steptronic all day without shifting out of second...ouch....how many miles?
Old 02-22-2004 | 07:23 PM

Yeah my mom did the same thing with tiptonic, she said "...the car's real peppy, but the engine soundined like it was racing alot."
Old 02-22-2004 | 07:27 PM
Pro

I thought that I had it bad. But, you got me beat.

I took a trip to Houston this weekend. I decided to drive, because I am not to fond of my Mother's driving. I also had the g/f with me, so of couse every 20 mins. one of them had to stop to pee. We were doing good until they decided that they needed snacks. Mother tried to shove her 16 oz. Diet Coke into one of the cups holders in the rear. I saw her do that and asked her to just hold it. She then put in into the other cupholder witch is not deep enough to hold anything.

To make a long story short, I had to tap the brakes at the same time that I hit a bump. It looked like a volcano in my rear view mirror. Coke everywhere. The woman refuses to put tops on anything.

Needless to say, she did not drink anything on the way home.
Old 02-22-2004 | 07:27 PM
Pro

ouch....that's gotta hurt At least she's OK.
Old 02-22-2004 | 07:37 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Holy cow that hurts to even read.
I never let anyone drive my car. Anyone. It's always been like that and all my friends and family know this so they don't even ask.
The same way I don't drive anyone else's car. Except my brother's cars when he drove cars. Now he drives an Ody and a Yukon Denali so no way I'm getting behind those.
Old 02-22-2004 | 07:43 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Ouch.

I bet she ran through a tank of gas too.
Old 02-22-2004 | 07:50 PM
17 and loving it

my mom curbed two of my stock rims and scratched the paint off of the bottom of my side skirts...that was pretty bad in my opinion...but she bought the car for me so how mad could i be =/....she hasnt driven the car since tho
Old 02-22-2004 | 09:18 PM

by having the p brake on all that time, could it have done any damage to anything???? what about the sport shift???
Old 02-22-2004 | 09:53 PM
Race Director

It seems every time somebody lets their parents relatives drive their car something like this happens.

As far as driving around in 2nd all day, there's a rev limiter there so while i'm sure it was awkward for her to drive around you should be OK.
Old 02-22-2004 | 09:59 PM
"hey...wanna f^&k"

no one drives my car but me. no one....
Old 02-22-2004 | 10:07 PM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

Damn, it sucks being you right now.
Old 02-22-2004 | 10:10 PM
///M POWER

damn man

my mom hasnt stepped foot in my car ,let alone drive it
Old 02-22-2004 | 10:14 PM
Suzuka Master

I would have killed my mother for letting any sort of soda exploding in my car, in fact, no one but the driver gets to use a cup holder, everyone else holds their drinks and has lids. No eating either, had some girl get chocolate on the seats.

I remember a guy posting about his dad leaving the parking brake on all day while driving the car.
Old 02-22-2004 | 11:14 PM
Safety Car

lucky for me my dad is the only other person in my family who knows how to drive a stick. and he hardly sets foot in my car.
Old 02-22-2004 | 11:16 PM
Instructor

You spill anything, you can just clean it up. I'm not the type of person that gets shitty when anyone does anything (if it can be fixed).

Two of my friends flew out to SoCal in december to drive with me back to indiana university. So the three of us were alternating drivers the whole way. Around 5AM in Kansas, friend #1 was driving while Friend #2 and I were sleeping. Suddenly #1 says "oh fuck" so we wake up and see that he got pulled over for going 95 in a 70. So he gets a ticket and we go back to sleep.
At 6:15AM he says "son of a bitch". We wake up again. Friend #2 (in the passenger seat) opens his eyes and looks in the side mirror and all he can see is a massive grill. We both turn around and see the biggest Dodge Ram we have ever seen with police lights on it. Friend #1 got another ticket.
To sum up the story, it sometimes benefits to have others driving your car because had it not been for Friend #2, I prolly would've gotten those tickets.
Old 02-22-2004 | 11:17 PM
Banned

at least your mom was able to start the car my mom thought that my benz key was only the remote and couldnt even start it

so when I come outta of the bank she tell me that they almost gave me a ticket and she couldnt move it cause I didnt give her the key
Old 02-23-2004 | 06:53 AM
Cars are an addiction

My Mom drove my truck to work one day in the snow. Called me screaming at me that she cant go over 25 MPH. She had put it in 4WD... But LOW RANGE........ Burnt my transfer case up.. 1500 bucks. !!!
Old 02-23-2004 | 07:05 AM
registered pw

Originally posted by anothercls
I would have killed my mother for letting any sort of soda exploding in my car, in fact, no one but the driver gets to use a cup holder, everyone else holds their drinks and has lids. No eating either, had some girl get chocolate on the seats.

i regulate what comes into my car. if i see someone has something w/o a lid. bam a lid goes on it or they drink it b/f getting in
Old 02-23-2004 | 07:28 AM
I hate the Mets

Originally posted by CLean
My Mom drove my truck to work one day in the snow. Called me screaming at me that she cant go over 25 MPH. She had put it in 4WD... But LOW RANGE........ Burnt my transfer case up.. 1500 bucks. !!!
Winner...Ouch!
Old 02-23-2004 | 07:59 AM
registered pw

middle aged women have no clue what is going on around them when they are driving. don't realize something may be wrong. why not pull over??? dumbasses
Old 02-23-2004 | 08:02 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

your parking brake is done, especially after doing 65 on the highway. And i can only assume that the Honda tranny cant take being in second at 65 while chugging along all day with that parking brake. That stress was prolly killer.
Old 02-23-2004 | 08:04 AM
Team Owner

Re: dont let loved ones drive your car!

Originally posted by sxsublime
So i was a little pissed about that untill she asked me why there was a #2 next to the spedometer, when i explaind what triptronix were, she proceeded to tell me that she had just drove it all day like that including on the highway going 65 mph!
Just think, if Acura hadn’t put the automatic 1-2 up shift in there she would have drove the entire way in FIRST GEAR !!!

They don’t call this type of stuff “dummy proof” just for the fun of it.
Old 02-23-2004 | 08:06 AM
Drifting

I let my mom use mine last summer to go pick up some pizza, all i said was, "watch the curb when you park", so she gets back, all is fine. the next day i am getting my car out of the garage, i come back from closing the door, and what do i see, a nice scuff mark on my right rear rim. So i call her and ask her what happened, she says, "well i might have hit the curb coming around the corner". NOT MIGHT, YOU DID!! Was funny cuz she never even told me about it. But oh well, sh*t happens. I don't mind if people drive my car, if i can drive yours, you can drive mine.
Old 02-23-2004 | 08:11 AM
Banned

I used to be really anal about letting people drive my car. Theres only like 4 people that i trust with it. And they all had to go through "air ride training". Cant have em hittin switches not knowing what they're doin
Old 02-23-2004 | 08:17 AM
Manny Tranny

That sucks... Hopefully everything is ok with the tranny.

Every once and a while my wife will joke with me and ask if she can drive my 03 6sp. She knows the answer. I used to let her drive my MR2 5 sp in the past and it was funny to see her buck that 4 banger around. I keep telling her this clutch is made for experienced manual shift drivers and she's not getting near it. Besides that issue, she isn't as neurotic as I am when it comes to avoiding danger. The things that she is not aware of when driving a car. Let's see, newly painted cross walks or lines, gravel trucks, parking garages, potholes, tree sap and the list goes on.
Old 02-23-2004 | 08:17 AM
Drifting

I used to be that way too, then one day my new car got totaled, so ever since then i realize its "just a car" and try to get as much use out of it as i can, and don't sweat other people driving it, if i trust them in general. nothing lasts forever, get as much fun out of it as you can.
Old 02-23-2004 | 12:03 PM
Slam!

seriously, hit her.
Old 02-23-2004 | 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by flipwhip
seriously, hit her.
Seriously, your a moron. Hit your own mom?
Old 02-23-2004 | 02:26 PM
Comrade Stalin

Originally posted by RR32CLS
no one drives my car but me. no one....
This is the only way to be sure. I would let my dad drive it occasionally if he could drive a stick, but not my mom! Women can't drive! Now before all you women freak out on mE, i want you to acknowledge that the vast majority of women that you know are unable to drive properly. I'll pretend like all you on here can just to avoid an argument though.
Old 02-23-2004 | 03:09 PM
Six Speeds

I let my wife drive the 6 speed to work today for the first time and I've had the car for a year and a half. All these stories and damn, you guys are making me nervous. Oh well, I'll just wait and
Old 02-23-2004 | 08:00 PM
Ricky: Drugs > Football

Re: Re: dont let loved ones drive your car!

Originally posted by Shawn S
Just think, if Acura hadn’t put the automatic 1-2 up shift in there she would have drove the entire way in FIRST GEAR !!!

They don’t call this type of stuff “dummy proof” just for the fun of it.
i was thinking that the whole time.

AS a precaution all my future cars will be stick, if my future woman can drive stick that shows that she has atleast some knowledge of driving but it limits it so i dont have to worry about letting people drive my car. Every time i have to let my mom borrow my car i cringe, atleast no horror stories of her in tiptronic.
Old 02-23-2004 | 08:24 PM

lol, today she asked me to let her barrow it again, so instead i let let her barrow my brothers car (he doesn't need to know that)
Old 02-23-2004 | 09:21 PM
Honda should sell it!

my story is a little different.I had left my car in my parents care at
their house. i bought my '03 6sp in mar '02, in may '02, i went
on vacation w/friends for a week. my 12 yo cousin from out of
town was staying over there. So I get back they tell me how
big a brat she was; marking one bathroom and flooding the sink,stealing a few things and using magic marker on the
backseat of my mothers car(RL). all because she couldnt get
her way and her mother was no better. So, after telling me
the story, I say bye. I load up my stuff and head home,when I
park and unload the gear .............WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A BIG ASS AND I MEAN A BIGASS SCRATCH FROM THE WHEEL WELL
TO THE TAILLIGHT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE!!!!!

I' m driving like mario andretti back to my parents house, i ask
them about it. "oh we thought you already saw it"

"no i didnt" the scratch was hidden by a tree.

they tell me that they saw my cousin and her mother next to my
car when they left.
They were not gonna say anything to me about MY CAR! since then i dont leave my car with them and i dont wanna see the
family responsible for the damage!
Old 02-24-2004 | 12:46 AM
Suzuka Master

We were driving to my aunt's house two x-mases ago in my CL. My mom was driving because she didn't trust me on the "long" trip.

Anyhow, somewhere in Ohio she went to change lanes and assumed that there was nobody next to her because she didn't see anyone in her mirror. WRONG - anyone who drives this car daily knows it has a huge blind spot, even with good mirror positioning. She almost sideswiped this dude, jerked back to the right, totally overcompensated pulling to the left, and we spun into the median. This was midday traffic on I-75 southbound. I don't know how we weren't hit.

Fortunately the only damage done was to a strut, it started leaking but slowly. I had to pay for it though
Old 02-24-2004 | 12:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Re: dont let loved ones drive your car!

Originally posted by 2001CL
i was thinking that the whole time.

AS a precaution all my future cars will be stick, if my future woman can drive stick that shows that she has atleast some knowledge of driving but it limits it so i dont have to worry about letting people drive my car. Every time i have to let my mom borrow my car i cringe, atleast no horror stories of her in tiptronic.

My mom knows to stay out of sport shift tho - D5 is the place for her and she knows it.

My next car will be a stick, simply because i don't like letting people borrow my vehicle.

If i ever marry, it will be to a woman who can drive a manual. I've yet to find a female driver who is a bad driver but can also drive a stick.
Old 02-24-2004 | 12:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by anothercls

Nobody but the driver (ME!) gets to eat in my car.

My brother once had a huge pop spill in the back seat. He almost totally fucked up the cleaning job (he wanted to use windex on the leather :sqnteek: ) so i just did it myself. He's now banned from even bringing pop - opened or unopened - into my car.
Old 02-26-2004 | 12:12 PM
Banned

No one drives my car but me, my mom will back the car out to get hers out and thats it.
Old 02-26-2004 | 12:26 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by ABreece

Nobody but the driver (ME!) gets to eat in my car.

My brother once had a huge pop spill in the back seat. He almost totally fucked up the cleaning job (he wanted to use windex on the leather :sqnteek: ) so i just did it myself. He's now banned from even bringing pop - opened or unopened - into my car.
What do you mean? I use windex to clean the leather all the time!

Quick Reply: dont let loved ones drive your car!