Don't expect the same ride quality!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 07:33 AM
Stay or leave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't expect the same ride quality!

Its so annoying to hear people talk about how you get the same ride quality and its just as good as stock when that is just a bunch of bullshit. I had a lowered car, springs and shocks, and lower profile tires and you know what that all adds too, a shit ride quality for normal roads! Yea you get a lower center of gravity and a better look. But by all means don't complain when you hit a bump and your car frame hits the ground. So many people don't realize that when you lower your car you have to drive differently. You have to watch out for bump, pretty much learn the road. I remember when i was in florida in college and my car was lowered i knew every road and where the bumps and pot holes were, i would pretty much turn with out looking for them, just a habit i guess. I just get sick of people saying your ride will be just as smooth and good as stock. I guess this was more of a rant, sorry about that.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:37 AM
East Coast Boost.!

Sorry I had to do this.

:whocares::whocares::whocares::whocares::whocares:
Old 08-22-2003, 07:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

I thought that was why people say go with the Comptech drop since it's very subtle and you don't lose much in terms of ride quality.

But yeah, you lower more and stiffen up the suspension and add to that low profile tires (less rubber means less shock absorbtion) and you've got yourself one rough ride!

But the look of it is sweet! But that's the tradeoff I guess.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:44 AM
Stay or leave

all in all can you really justify spending that much money to look better and lose that much ride quality? tires are more, springs, shocks, camber kit that shit adds up and all you get is a better look, you car honestly isn't that much faster, great the handling is better but its not like a race car now. once you've done it and then had it for a while, i guess i realized i wasted to much money
Old 08-22-2003, 07:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Beating a fooking dead horse

I agree with Titan, Who cares what your .02 is.. but I agree with you when someone misinforms someone that it gives the same ride quality....

You just ride around town looking like a clown in your 4-wheeler... in the meantime I'll keep it low to the ground.

Last time I checked I never hit my so-called FRAME, off of anything..

Enjoy your four wheeler... Maybe you and Jimcol could get together and discuss lift KITS for your vehicles....

Smitty
Old 08-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Reddly9007, what springs do you have ?? The CT's?? That's the ones that I hear most people say is close to the stock ride.

I still have my CLS in 4x4 mode, but have been thinking about the CT springs, sways etc.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:55 AM
The Slim Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For myself, I lowered my CLS with Nex coilovers and thought the ride was very stiff with 18's so I raised back to the stock ride. When it was lowered, people of all different ages was complementing my ride but I myself was getting too old for that kind of harsh ride. Now I have 4X4 look with 18's and I am very happy with my ride.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:14 AM
im back

i have Comptech springs on stock shocks and my ride quality is fine, almost stock buddy and i have 33k miles on my car with abotu 27-28k lowered
Old 08-22-2003, 08:20 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
hello and welcome to the "ranting idiot of the day" post

Springs like the Comptech and Eibach pro-kit will give you a near stock ride quality. Yes doing low profile tires and shocks and such will bring the ride quality down in your opinion it's a ride quality A LOT prefer. I'd much rather have my car stiffer then softer. It's much easier to drive and handle the car. The cars center of gravity is also lower so you have less chance of losing control of the car and it'll be easier to correct when you do.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:41 AM
Banned

If i have to lower it all over again, I'd do it again, I can't see myself driving a 4x4-ass fender gap on anything except suvs. Who gives a fukk how bumpy it is, the improvement in handling alone is totally worth it, more over the look of the stance.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:48 AM
Revving at 9K...

I have to admit that I'm one of those who claims Teins ride like stock. But I always make sure to tell people how much I lower my car too. (1.75"f, 1.5"r, which is not that much)

I mean, the world is not perfect. Less wheel travel = firm/stiff ride.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:58 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
You arent really getting worked up over this are you? Who cares what other people say. What that have 2 do with u. If you wanna lower your car then lower it. It is that simple. There is also something called firmness that can be adjusted to your liking. I definately think my car rides 10 times better than stock. Who wants the stock feel. I mean i dont really miss the whole car leaning into curves with all that body roll. It also helps with traction alot. The front tires where so easy to let loose before I had it installed, but now there is much more grip and im not always spinning my tires on launches. It isnt hard at all to drive with a suspension. I would try to avoid big bumps and potholes anyway.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:23 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What the hell are you talking about. When people talk about a drop thta rides like stock. They never say its the same. You always hear about how close the ride quality is with a drop. Also thses guys are talking about dropping a stock car on comptechs, h&r oe, sports. You are talking about something different. Of course a drop on lower profile tires, shocks and springs will give you a harsh ride. And im sure that people know that lowering a car will make driving a little different. You're just mad because you made your car ride like shit, dont hate on everyone else and know that getting firmer shocks and lower tires will fuck with the ride.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Stay or leave

alright idiot keep talking, look out everyone he's stating the obvious. You must have been first in your class. First of all i had a car that was lowered, past tense smarty pants. Second of all no matter what kind of springs you put on, comptech, eibach or whatever your car will never ride like stock. Its so funny to think that when you do all this shit you think your car is going to be so much better, like magically its going to turn into a race car. I would imagine the engineers who built this car did not intend for that suspension set up to be used or they would have in the first place. I have nothing against lowering cars, and I definitely believe they look a lot better once done, but the ride is never as good. It would be great if you could drive around on perfect roads all day but thats not the case. There are pot holes and shitty side streets, and these make driving your car annoying cause how cautious you have to be. I'm speaking from my own experience, granted other people most likely had better set ups then mine i'm just saying it will never ever ever ever be the same or as quality as stock. Is that so hard to understand. Don't go bashing me cause i'm making a statement, last time i checked thats what you do in a forum.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:49 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
no matter what kind of springs you put on, comptech, eibach or whatever your car will never ride like stock
How obvious a statement is that...Or,
i'm just saying it will never ever ever ever be the same or as quality as stock
Wow. Profundity at it's finest...

I just don't get your post. Why rant? You weren't driving a Benz or a Lexus in the first place. Any suspension or tire mod you do is going to change the characteristics of the car. It's the same as changing your shoes: Reebok and Nike fit/feel different.

I would imagine the engineers who built this car did not intend for that suspension set up to be used or they would have in the first place
Um, uh, I give up...I'll shut up unless you let me know you want a picture or something...
Old 08-22-2003, 09:57 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally posted by Reddly9007
Its so funny to think that when you do all this shit you think your car is going to be so much better

that is all personal opinion, I know me and a bunch of others on this board will think a lower car rides better. I will never drive a car w/ stock suspension, I cant' stand the floatyness it has.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Mmmmm...sausage...

For it to be FRIDAY, there sure are some angry and rude people here. Why all the condesention? Did I miss something on this topic?

This stuff makes a newbie like myself hesitant to post here.

Can't we all just get along?
Old 08-22-2003, 10:17 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

lots of older folks don't like getting slammed around(which happens more with a lowered car).

My dealer was telling me how some salespersons sold older folks CL-S and TL-S (which has sportier suspension than the CL/TL-P model) just so they could get a higher commision off the sale. He said often the new owners would return the car or sell it privately just because the ride quality isn't as smooth as the P model.

I have even heard of people with CL/TL-S models switching the springs out on their car with the P model to reduce the stiffness of the suspension.

Lowering your car is a balancing act, lower it too much and you have great handling but you feel every crack in the road.
I personally have ridden in some riced out imports that were so lowered that when I got done driving it felt like somebody had beat the shit out of me. It's kinda like when you go on a long road trip and you get to your destination, you feel like shit and all beat up even though all you did was drive.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:55 AM
One who Laps

alright idiot keep talking, look out everyone he's stating the obvious. You must have been first in your class. First of all i had a car that was lowered, past tense smarty pants. Second of all no matter what kind of springs you put on, comptech, eibach or whatever your car will never ride like stock. Its so funny to think that when you do all this shit you think your car is going to be so much better, like magically its going to turn into a race car. I would imagine the engineers who built this car did not intend for that suspension set up to be used or they would have in the first place. I have nothing against lowering cars, and I definitely believe they look a lot better once done, but the ride is never as good. It would be great if you could drive around on perfect roads all day but thats not the case. There are pot holes and shitty side streets, and these make driving your car annoying cause how cautious you have to be. I'm speaking from my own experience, granted other people most likely had better set ups then mine i'm just saying it will never ever ever ever be the same or as quality as stock. Is that so hard to understand. Don't go bashing me cause i'm making a statement, last time i checked thats what you do in a forum.
What the fawk is this guy talking about?
Who says that the stock ride is good to begin with, that's you're opinion. I think the stock ride sucks, personnally.
Too soft and too much body roll, but if you crave that kind of ride great.
The Comptech springs improve on what the car offers to begin with and the drop is slight in comparison to others out there.
I haven't changed the way I drive it a bit either but when I bottom it out I'll let you know.
Don't post stupid shit like this, especially on a forum where people mod their cars.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

I don't mind the stock ride, so I see Red's point. Personally, I've always thought that spending money on mods is a waste...if you want to put extra money down on modding up, then why not just buy a better car? But I realize people like to be unique and if they are into modding, that's cool. Yeah, as people grow older, you can reflect back and say that it could have been a waste of money. Some people do it as a hobby so they will continue to mod up....for a racer feel to the car...for better handling...and also for looks. Myself, I find that as I grow older, my priorities change. I still have a stock ride and don't mind how the car drives. I still would like it to handle a little better on the turns and stuff, without the body roll, but I don't want a harsher ride. I will probably get some CT springs and sways in the near future to help with that, but will try my best to keep the ride as close to stock as possible.

I don't think this post was dumb or anything...just somebody's opinion. What it comes down to is people will do what pleases them.

I haven't done crap yet to my car, but I enjoy this forum because it still gives me a wealth of info for how to fix things or for info on future purchases (like tire brands, etc).
Old 08-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I remember someone posting that they couldn't understand why their stock CLS had a harsher ride then their Mom's Solara

We had to explain that the "S" in cls stood for Sport (suspension)
Old 08-22-2003, 12:03 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I remember someone posting that they couldn't understand why their stock CLS had a harsher ride then their Mom's Solara
I bet that took awhile! Sorry I ever missed that one...
Old 08-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Lone Wolf

Hey red im not sure, but are you the guy who works at the place that cleans cars. I remember that post and how much of an idiot that guy was, but if it wasnt you than just ignore this post.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Lone Wolf

This thread is so useless. Why are you on a car forum if you are against modding. Go do something else then.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Don't expect the same ride quality!

Its so annoying to hear people talk about how you get the same ride quality and its just as good as stock when that is just a bunch of bullshit. I had a lowered car, springs and shocks, and lower profile tires and you know what that all adds too, a shit ride quality for normal roads! Yea you get a lower center of gravity and a better look. But by all means don't complain when you hit a bump and your car frame hits the ground. So many people don't realize that when you lower your car you have to drive differently. You have to watch out for bump, pretty much learn the road. I remember when i was in florida in college and my car was lowered i knew every road and where the bumps and pot holes were, i would pretty much turn with out looking for them, just a habit i guess. I just get sick of people saying your ride will be just as smooth and good as stock. I guess this was more of a rant, sorry about that.
Maybe you should have read some of the posts, and or realize that some people that post on here and complete retards and will say whatever to justify themselfs.

The comptech drop is the only one that rides like stock.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:39 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Re: Re: Don't expect the same ride quality!

Originally posted by SiGGy

The comptech drop is the only one that rides like stock.
not like stock, but near to stock. The Pro-kit is the same way too
Old 08-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Cruisin'

I have to agree with Reddly, but then again, compared to most of you, I'm an old geezer. When I was young and foolish, I lowered my 1985 CRX-SI and put shaved, summer only tires on the car. The cornering in that car was nothing short of awesome, but to drive it more than 15 minutes at a time gave me an incredible headache from the pounding ride. Then we had 1/2 inch of snow and the rear wheel drive station wagons were passing me up the hills because I couldn't get traction. It would have been nice if someone older and wiser would have advised me of the downside, not that I would have listened anyway. Fortunately, I kept the stock springs, but had to buy new tires that winter. Overall, about an $800 mistake, which was painful at the time.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:17 PM
Pro

Hey reddly...did you hear that if you change your exhaust the car might be louder than stock?? Not to mention that sometimes if you tint your windows you can't see out of them as well as when they were stock.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:47 PM
Banned

let the man rant for cryin out loud, dont gotta jump all over him
Old 08-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Its so funny to think that when you do all this shit you think your car is going to be so much better, like magically its going to turn into a race car.
Who ever said they were trying to build a race car? I left the stock rubber, and changed to Comptech springs and sways. Is it the same as stock? No, it's better as far as I'm concerned

......granted other people most likely had better set ups then mine i'm just saying it will never ever ever ever be the same or as quality as stock.
Do you believe that any modification to a car could make it better than stock?
Old 08-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I personally believe you can't fix a 70/30 weight distributed car no matter what kind of springs you put on it... LOL

Only make it handle slightly better and rider worse, it will never get rid of the horrible weight offset.

Buy a car engineered for handling if you want a sports car.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

That 70/30 is the only thing that keeps me going in the middle of winter up here in the great white north.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:14 PM
Instructor

hard to get a rant in peace round here lately :/
Old 08-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally posted by CLpower
I will never drive a car w/ stock suspension..
Old 08-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by ModAddict
That 70/30 is the only thing that keeps me going in the middle of winter up here in the great white north.
heh, ya that is an advantage... anti-sport, pro-weather suspension!

ya it helps me too! not a lot of snow hits here though...
Old 08-22-2003, 08:38 PM
still a Masshole

Damn, some people are touchy about their suspension!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Honkey

Anyone who mods their car is a complete idiot! If you're not happy with the car...then why buy it???

BTW, I love your avitar Siggy
Old 08-22-2003, 10:20 PM
GO SEMINOLES!!!

my ground controls ride like STOCK:P :P :P

4pumpedCL
I like your avatar better. Are you selling your car? i read it at your car group's website. what are your going to move to next?
Old 08-23-2003, 05:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 4pumpedCL
Anyone who mods their car is a complete idiot! If you're not happy with the car...then why buy it???
I bought it because there was a blower kit available for it.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:42 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,421 Posts
meh...