CT supercharger removal questions/help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CT supercharger removal questions/help needed.

Well I have decided it is time to remove the supercharger. My car has over 90,000 miles with over 70,000 boosted. I plan on keeping the car as long as possible so for longevity reasons and ease of future maintenance it has to come off. But before I tackle it this weekend I hope you guys can help answer some of my questions. The dealer installed the supercharger just so you know.

I plan on removing the blower, ESM, spark plugs and putting the Comptech icebox on that was on it before the blower was installed. I will have the dealer put the original alternator pulley on during a service visit.

The FPR, fuel pump, various hoses and the battery are all going to stay put. I figure that if anyone wants to buy it all that stuff should be bought new and not used with 70,000+ miles.

Now for the questions.

1. Will the FPR and fuel pump work in the non boosted set up? I don’t want it pumping too much fuel and running rich all the time. Messing with the fuel system is not something I feel comfortable doing with my limited under hood experience.

2. Can I just cut the wires to the ESM and wrap the exposed wires with tape? The dealer soldered them on and they are all wrapped in electrical tape.

3. Anything wrong with installing the original spark plugs with fewer than 20K on them?

4. For those of you that have removed the supercharger what has been the hardest part/took the longest?

5. Anything I have missed?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
You have 70K miles with it on. Why do you think the car won't handle it?
Doesn't make any sense to me.
If you take it off, Take it ALL off. Nothing worse then tying to sell a CT supercharger with half the parts missing.
Nothing that remains will be of any use without the SC so why keep it on the car.
You also may want to wait till the major timing belt service. Since all that will have to come off anyway. Why do twice the work?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Advanced

You have a good point and I was thinking of doing just that depending on what kind of responces I got to this post.

I drive about 20,000 miles a year most of which is non-boosted highway miles so I am not worried about the car being able to handle it.

If I do decide to keep it on I will need to change the oil in the blower. Hopefully that can be done without removing the blower. It is still quiet so I dont think it needs to be shipped to Magnuson for a full rebuld.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear

How much more horse did u get with the supercharger?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:29 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
as long as you're not running lean in boost which you probably aren't, i don't think there's much to worry about
Old 10-01-2008, 04:50 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No offense but it sounds like you dont have the skills to be messing with it if you couldnt answer some of those basic questions. There really is not longevity reasons and ease of future maintenance reasons to justify removing it unless you are broke. My car ran rich and sluggish until I removed the Comptech FPR. It runs so much better now with the stock FPR without the blower. The Fuel pump can stay but you should remove the whole kit as you will find it much more difficult to sell without all parts. You can NOT just cut the wires and tape them for the ESM. They must be put back together properly. Origional plugs will be fine provided they are clean not bent on the tips and free of rust. If you dont have a good mechanical knowledge and a GREAT set of tools you are going to have a nightmare on your hands and you may not be able to get the car to run after. You need to get the Comptech supercharger instructions mailed to you from one of the members here who has it. It will walk you through it. Seriously though, you are going to hate yourself for doing this if you are mechanicaly challenged and dont have lots of specific tools. If you half ass the removal you are probably going to get burned on the resale value(a complete kit will sell better all day over an incomplete kit regardless of age). 2cents

Last edited by jproy; 10-01-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jc850
No really sure but my guess is 50+ from what others have seen on the dyno.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Advanced

jproy

Thanks for your 2 cents. I know there are people on this board with much more knowledge than myself which is exactly why I posted these questions.

Now I have actually decided to not mess with a good thing and am keeping it on. My weekend that was free is no longer. I did just manage to change the oil in supercharger so I am good for quite some time.

So I will just wait until the timing belt service and then decide to keep it on or not.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jc850
With the stock SC Kit from Comptech (4.5psi) I saw an increase of 45hp and 30ft/lb tq at the wheels. For ~$70 you can get the HBP(High Boost Pulley 6psi) from Comptech(now CT Engineering) and get between 70-85hp more at the wheels and a little more TQ. At that point you would want to be running on 93octane gas and/or with a Piggy back engine control like the emanage with a good tune to prevent detonation. I have seen between 310-330 properly done here with the HBP and engine management(emanage). With some custom pulleys you can get to 9psi. Engine management is a must at this point or you will quickly destroy the motor from detonation since the blower is making so much hot air well outside its efficiency range at about 17,500 blower rpm and you need to account for the sudden lean spot at IMRC(Intake Manifold Runner Control) engagement as well as VTEC engagement. Some of the big dogs from back in the day (Scalbert etc.) made and intercooler for the 9psi setup to address the high output temps of the MP62 blower at 9psi. The 9psi setups I have seen here ranged from 340whp to maybe 400whp with stock internals. The higher numbers all had the intercooler setup.

I have just completed a custom MP90 blower kit from the Comptech(CT Engineering) kit I had on the car. It would work on any supercharged car. The only parts I had to modify were the output collector manifold on the blower(aluminum welding) and I made a 1/2" thick adapter plate for the intake elbow the TB(throttle body) connects to the blower. The adapter plate is rock solid and port matched. I used aircraft grade aluminum. This kit will (should) allow me to run 9psi with the UR UNDERDRIVE pulley (NOT the UR SC pulley) and the HBP on the alternator at ~12,300 blower RPM. In theory and from my conversations with Magnuson engineers I should see a significant drop in intake air temps post supercharger at high RPM thus creating more dense air and more power without the need for the intercooler. The intercooler will still work on this kit I have made as everything lines up the same. If you had a stroked motor (3.5L or 3.7L(under development) upgrade) this kit would allow you to run serious boost reliably with cool intake temps. I got the Boomslang harness, Emanage Ult, matched 440cc injectors from RC, and will be getting a custom tune from Jotec Racing in Dallas probably in December or May at the latest and we will see what kind of numbers it makes. I will not be using the Comptech FPR. It is crap. I instead will be using the stock FPR and running the fuel system at stock pressures so the emanage can precisely meter fuel exactly every time. I would like to see similar #'s to the guys who went nuts with the intercoolers. Hope that clears it up for you a little.

So to answer your question I think a gain of 45-150 whp (wheel horse power) is reasonable with the various setups of the Comptech blower. Jim

Last edited by jproy; 10-02-2008 at 11:02 AM.