Crappy re-sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Homeless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good finds. If people dug as deeply as you before purchasing the car, maybe they would've reconsidered...I know I relied on the excellent Acura reputation(HA!) and the 48 month warranty to make most of my decision...and I still think the general public has been fairly well protected from seeing the true number of major problems/reluctant fixes with these trannies. Out of the 4 times I've tried to trade my vehicle(for 2 SAABs, an Infiniti & an S2000) none of the other dealers mentioned anything about the poor resale/tranny issue/recalls of any nature.

Only when I did my lease-end inspection on my 02 last week did the Acura dealer bring it up...and of course, he certainly was just using that to his advantage. Meanwhile, he had 2 CL-S on the lot(01's both with over 50K miles, non-navi) for over $21K. So, on Autotrader it went.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Originally Posted by chris3240929
Only when I did my lease-end inspection on my 02 last week did the Acura dealer bring it up...and of course, he certainly was just using that to his advantage.

I'm curious, what kind of argument was the inspector bringing up to his advantage?
Old 12-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Instructor

...... Out of the 4 times I've tried to trade my vehicle(for 2 SAABs, an Infiniti & an S2000) none of the other dealers mentioned anything about the poor resale/tranny issue/recalls of any nature.......
My research into the factors considered in calculating the resale-value did not mention recalls specifically, but Edmonds.com did mention that recalls are considered as safety problems which is a factor in their resale calculation. I think a contributing factor to the CL's low resale-value is: the model has been discontinued because of low sales; and few were manufactured. Also, it is not a SUV. Finally, it is a buyers market, and buyers will use what ever to get a good price including the 5AT problem. Honda could have neutralized this bargaining chip if they had put a better warranty on the trans like extending the mileage to 200k and the time to 10 years. I plan to dump my 2001 CL-S before 100k unless the second trans fails before this time. I don't want to get caught with a broken trans out of warranty.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by clswhite
I think a contributing factor to the CL's low resale-value is: the model has been discontinued because of low sales; and few were manufactured. Also, it is not a SUV. Finally, it is a buyers market, and buyers will use what ever to get a good price including the 5AT problem. Honda could have neutralized this bargaining chip if they had put a better warranty on the trans like extending the mileage to 200k and the time to 10 years. I plan to dump my 2001 CL-S before 100k unless the second trans fails before this time. I don't want to get caught with a broken trans out of warranty.
Agreed 100%.

Originally Posted by zamo
I'm curious, what kind of argument was the inspector bringing up to his advantage?
He said something to the effect that all the off-lease cars were being dumped on dealers because people didn't want to take the chance with the tranny...thus, they were fetching $12 & $13K at auction. So he said he could offer me something like $14k if he pushed it...and my car is super clean with spanking new tires... ...Meanwhile, he has only 2 CL'S on this fairly large lot & is asking a premium for them. BUT, I don't put any weight in the numbers he gave...I know it will sell privately near $19K.

The other Acura dealer(45 minutes away) has zer0 Cl's of any type currently, but just sold one within the past month for $22K+(was an 02, non-navi, lower miles, certified...big whoop).

I tell you what though...BOTH these Acura dealers had an abundance of late-model TL's on the lot at lower prices...probably due to the new model. Now, I certainly believe THOSE are getting killed on the trade values...regardless of what the book values may say. There's just a ton of them out there pushing down the prices.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Homeless

Also...this inspector guy was from Honda...like some kind of dealer-rep...didn't work at the dealership.

Frankly, I just think they're trying to steal them back from the lessors and make big profit...afterall, the car is still very desirable...not like it's a neon.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

He said something to the effect that all the off-lease cars were being dumped on dealers because people didn't want to take the chance with the tranny...thus, they were fetching $12 & $13K at auction. So he said he could offer me something like $14k if he pushed it...and my car is super clean with spanking new tires... ...Meanwhile, he has only 2 CL'S on this fairly large lot & is asking a premium for them. BUT, I don't put any weight in the numbers he gave...I know it will sell privately near $19K.
What I have not quit clear is the fact that if your car is reaching a lease end, why should the inspector offer you less than the residual value (I am assuming that is the case). You can simply drop the car and walk away no questions asked, no extra fees.

Now, if you want to try and get a profit (sale price - payoff) , you can always get a buyer on autotrader.

Oh and of course, that inspector is bullshiting as always. They offer 100k warranty on the trannies so who cares til then.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Homeless

Now, if you want to try and get a profit (sale price - payoff) , you can always get a buyer on autotrader.
Bingo. Residual is $16,420...I'm sure I can get more than that.

I just thought it'd be easier to let the dealer buy it back + a few bucks, etc.