Comptech Header Question??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001 | 04:17 AM
Racer

Comptech Header Question??

Okay.. I know that this question has probably been asked before, but how much power do you gain from putting the Comptech headers in your car (H.P & Torque)? Do you feel the difference when driving and accelerating hard??

I took your guys advise on putting sway bars on my car.. and of course you guys were right. So just looking for some advise on the Headers before I commit to them...

------------------
Acura CL Type S
Silver W/ Navi
Spoiler
Piaa Solitare 001 Plasma Ion Yellow With Upgraded 55W Bulbs
Eibach Springs
Tokico Illumina Shocks
AEM Cold Air Intake
Comptech Sway Bars
Polarg M6
Infinity Bass Link
Old 04-29-2001 | 04:19 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marioman:
Okay.. I know that this question has probably been asked before, but how much power do you gain from putting the Comptech headers in your car (H.P & Torque)? Do you feel the difference when driving and accelerating hard??

I took your guys advise on putting sway bars on my car.. and of course you guys were right. So just looking for some advise on the Headers before I commit to them...

</font>

http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/2000CLSplot.pdf

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs, Exhaust, Headers
AEM CAI, Pulleys
Denso Spark Plugs
Apexi V-AFC
Old 04-29-2001 | 04:27 AM
Racer

Thanks for the help and the link WebToker... that realy helps!!

------------------
Acura CL Type S
Silver W/ Navi
Spoiler
Piaa Solitare 001 Plasma Ion Yellow With Upgraded 55W Bulbs
Eibach Springs
Tokico Illumina Shocks
AEM Cold Air Intake
Comptech Sway Bars
Polarg M6
Infinity Bass Link
Old 04-29-2001 | 04:47 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marioman:

</font>
I put on the headers and AEM CAI at the same time and the car is faster. It is a bit faster off the line, but the real difference is the pull from 4800 to redline. It pulls so fast with the lightened wheels that I have to really watch it -- I can hit 60 really fast.

I got the pre-stick-up-your-rear prices and it was worth it for me. If I didn't like 'em, I could sell them for what I bought them for, since the price just went up. And I have removed hot-rot parts from cars that didn't live up to expectations.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-29-2001 | 04:53 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
I put on the headers and AEM CAI at the same time and the car is faster. It is a bit faster off the line, but the real difference is the pull from 4800 to redline. It pulls so fast with the lightened wheels that I have to really watch it -- I can hit 60 really fast.

I got the pre-stick-up-your-rear prices and it was worth it for me. If I didn't like 'em, I could sell them for what I bought them for, since the price just went up. And I have removed hot-rot parts from cars that didn't live up to expectations.

</font>

Hey Eric, you think yo will ever take your ride to the track? I am interested to see what difference the rims and tires you have will make.
Old 04-29-2001 | 05:26 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:

Hey Eric, you think yo will ever take your ride to the track? I am interested to see what difference the rims and tires you have will make.
</font>
At some point. I'm a big guy, so I would have a weight penalty. I was thinking about meeting up with Mike down at Carlsbad today, but felt so tired, that I just goofed-off. So, yes.

I would feel better if Mike (who had the exact same mods, but is lowered, would get a "good" time to match the HP he is making. I think he went today, so I'm hoping that the track was "kind" to him today.

Mike weighs less than I do, so I think his times should be better than mine. This time he will have the tires and lighter wheels.

I work best when NOT under pressure, so if I can get to a track on a day where it is relatively cold, with good track conditions, and enough time to try a few different techniques and shift points, I would enjoy it.

So, yes -- I just can't give you the exact day.

BTW -- if I had my choice, I would like to run out to Willow Springs and sort out a class or two and some runs out there.

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-29-2001 | 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

I am still debating headers. In another post, someone with headers raced a stock cl-s, up to about 70mph. With this short sprint, the headers gave him about 1/2 car length lead.
Top end is where the headers shine, but I just don't know how often I would get to push much past 70 on local roads from a traffic light.
I think the 0-60 difference is only about 0.3 seconds (anyone confirm?) It would also depend on if you have a 'fast' vs 'average' cl-s from the factory. I have to bring mine to the track to time it, as mine chirps 2nd gear on any type of road surface, even after rotating the tires at 7200 miles (I have about 7600 miles now)

Now the sways I use many times every single day!!!

------------------
2001 Satin Silver CL Type S.
No Navi, PIAA 19169, Comptech Sways, Century Childseat, Mudguards.
Old 04-29-2001 | 05:37 PM
Pro

fast_daddy_car,

IMO, the headers will shine in the 1/4 mile and top speed run compared to the stock. Like you said, and like the Dynos have shown, high rpm is where the headers will shine. So, for stoplight to stoplight confrontation, the advantage is not as great for the money.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 04-29-2001 | 11:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks!

How good is the stainless steel used in the headers? I have had others (on a ford) go in about 2 years.
Will the comptech ones last for over 5 years?

------------------
2001 Satin Silver CL Type S.
No Navi, PIAA 19169, Comptech Sways, Century Childseat, Mudguards.
Old 04-30-2001 | 01:10 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fast_daddy_car:
Thanks!

How good is the stainless steel used in the headers? I have had others (on a ford) go in about 2 years.
Will the comptech ones last for over 5 years?

</font>
I have also had mild steel headers, and I was always under the hood welding them *or* having someone else weld them. I went through about 3 of them over the course of a few years, and finally went to a later model cast-iron model that had good flow. The mild steel headers get heated and cooled and the carbon makes the metal harder and brittle with time. The engine vibrations help to crack the headers. (This was my experience, but these were from some years back...)

The stainless doesn't suffer from the same problems as do the un-coated mild steel headers. However, I'm just not sure how long the headers will last. The box I received had Accord/TL/CL/CL-S, so it would think it would be possible to ask someone over in one of the Honda forums and ask them if the headers are holding up.

From what I understand, if a stainless steel header is "well made", it should last a very long time.

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-30-2001 | 02:05 AM
Instructor

Would anyone happen to have headers on a CLP? I know its goign to be hard to find anyone else who wanted to get a CLP and still fix that up but just wondering if anyone here has done anything to their CLP and perhaps have any dynos for the headers or anything. Thanks guys

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Diamond Nicrome Limo Mirror Tint
Undetectable K40 w/t Diffuser
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Eibach Pro Kit
Old 04-30-2001 | 09:22 AM
Old timer

Are the Comptech headers stainless, mild steel, or cast iron?

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior no-navi
Stock for now.
Old 04-30-2001 | 12:25 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRock:
Are the Comptech headers stainless, mild steel, or cast iron?

</font>

I know they ain't stainless steel cause they turn brown.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 04-30-2001 | 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Several of my friends had stainless headers on their Integras, Civics, et al and they all changed color after a while... but none of them had problems with cracking, rusting, etc.

------------------
2000 WDP 3.2TL non-NAV
AEM CAI