Comptech Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Blown By Comptech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Exhaust

Does anybody know which company Comptech uses for their mufflers? Is it Borla, Magnaflow or Dynamax?
Old 07-11-2004, 02:34 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know. But why don't you call CompTech tomorrow and let us know.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:53 PM
War Eagle!!!

Originally Posted by NITEHAWK_CLS
Does anybody know which company Comptech uses for their mufflers? Is it Borla, Magnaflow or Dynamax?
ummmmm...I'm gonna go with Comptech?

<from comptech's site>

From our championship-winning Acura Integra race cars of the mid-1980šs, the exotic Acura NSX-powered Camel Lights prototype, and early in-car development of the Honda Indy V8 engine for CART of the early and mid 1990šs, to our current involvement as an engine supplier in the highly competitive Indy Racing League, Comptech has been involved with some of the most sophisticated automotive technology ever developed.

Building upon our successful Honda and Acura racing heritage, the owners of Comptech formed Comptech USA, a division of Comptech that is dedicated to engineering the finest performance parts available for Honda and Acura street cars. At Comptech USA, we recognize that properly tuning a vehicle to improve its performance involves more than grabbing a part off the shelf and making it "fit" your car. As an Acura or Honda owner, you have a unique opportunity to enhance the performance of your vehicle using the same technology that we have developed exclusively for successful campaigns in IMSA, SCCA and Indy car racing.

Because of our long involvement with championship-winning Honda and Acura factory race programs, we understand what is required to develop products that will not compromise the reliability of your vehicle, yet deliver a level of unmatched performance.

http://www.comptechusa.com/about.html
Old 07-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by momentum3.2
ummmmm...I'm gonna go with Comptech?
Ding ding... we have a winner

Seriuosly though he is right... Comptech produces their own exhaust.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

Hmmmm, but then again maybe not: the exact quote is "Comptech USA, a division of Comptech that is dedicated to engineering the finest performance parts available for Honda and Acura street cars." The operative word here being "engineering", not "manufacturing". I'm guessing that they do the design using CAD/CAM, set the specs and then have a manufacturer who builds mufflers all the time build theirs for them. The cost of putting up a fully fledged manufacturing facility is very very expensive, and why should they when they can build it to their specs at a lower cost using somebody elses plant. Betcha!
Old 07-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Blown By Comptech

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Ding ding... we have a winner

Seriuosly though he is right... Comptech produces their own exhaust.

My post asked what muffler COMPANY does Comptech use for their exhaust. Obviously, I know that Comptech manufactures Comptech exhaust by the title of my post.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Audi S4 driver

What difference does it make?
Old 07-12-2004, 01:29 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i know eibach makes their springs.... wouldnt suprise me if they didnt do their own exhaust
Old 07-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Probably because he would buy the mufflers that are made for comptech, but buy em from the manufacturer for a cheaper price.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Audi S4 driver

Those mufflers have to be custom made .. I'm sure they are not some company's 'universal' muffler. they just sound too sweet and tuned to the CL to be universal.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:51 PM
War Eagle!!!

Originally Posted by Renegade
Probably because he would buy the mufflers that are made for comptech, but buy em from the manufacturer for a cheaper price.

Even if that were the case, I can assure you that the said muffler manufacturer has a design exclusively for Comptech to sell. Comptech wouldn't just resell mufflers that are generic (by generic I mean the same carbon copy of a muffler sold by another manufacturer) and expect to make a buck. The moment that the word was out that Comptech resold a muffler manufacturered by, say, Flowmaster, everyone would flock to Flowmaster, lawsuits would be filed, etc.

Even Dell, probably one of the worlds largest 'resellers' of other products takes the design, changes the firmware, a few key hardware components and then labels it with their branding to call it theirs. Just look at the PowerConnect switchgear, the Poweredge KVMs, even their new printers. Dlink makes the switch engines, Avocent makes the KVMs, Lexmark makes the printers. But Dell engineers explicitly request certain programming, key designs, and then once the product is recieved by Dell the engineers then open them up and "re-braned" them even more.

Moral of the story is, 80% of your products out there are made by someone else. But that does not mean that you can go and buy the same product directly from the true manufacturer. Even if they stocked it in their warehouse, contractual obligations retain any attempt to sell product unless through the 'reseller'.

Old 07-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by darrinb
well i know eibach makes their springs.... wouldnt suprise me if they didnt do their own exhaust
Comptech doesn't manufacturer anything. They have contracts with different companies to make the products they design.

So two reasons why their prodcts are a bit $$$

1 - Exceptional design
2 - Third-party manufacturing

Comptech made a business decision....design world-class products, that are manufactured by those who can do it to their standards. Hence Eibach for springs....
Old 07-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Drifting

just a couple of observations concerning comptech parts:

1) the cross-drilled rotors are made by powerstop, as the box was imprinted

2) the springs (at least the set i have) are made by the bett spring company, located here in the sf bay area (san leandro)