Comment on Eclipse's Jack Stand Incident

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 12:42 AM
Ain't No Other...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comment on Eclipse's Jack Stand Incident

sorry to burst your bubble man but I think it was totally "YOUR" fault, here is my reasoning...I read your post and it was said that you...

1.Jacked the car up
2.Proceeded to take the wheel off
3.After you took off wheel the car fell with the jack bending in half

So YOUR first mistake was, jacking up the car(This is not the first step in taking off the wheel). Second mistake was that, you didnt loosen the lugnuts BEFORE you attempted to jack the car up, which is the first golden rule when using the "shitty" factory jacks...this prevents extra weight of you pushing down on the 80lbs of torque that is applied onto each lugnut...which in turn would definetly stress the "stress points" (no pun intended) and the nonetheless "shitty factory jacks."

So while I admit the factory jacks cannot hold a whole lot of weight, this incident was basically YOUR fault...

but glad you didnt get hurt and use this as one of your life's valuable lessons...

Flame On!!!
Old 08-20-2001, 01:04 AM
Banned

Didn't you learn anything from the flame wars after Revolver's crash? You can't blame anyone for their misfortune on this board.
Old 08-20-2001, 01:08 AM
Race Director

Well, this MAY be true.

Although, Acura fails to give proper directions to doing so.

If you read the procedures on the jack, eclipse, did the right thing, so it is not "HIS FAULT".

I would have done the same. These jacks were not meant to be used by mechanics, they were meant for the car owners, which may very well not be to knowledgable in "jack reliability".
Old 08-20-2001, 01:12 AM
Race Director

Also, why would your comment on the matter be any more important than anyone elses comment, why exactly would your comment need its own thread?

If i started a thread, everytime i wanted to comment to a post...Well...thats unthinkable
Old 08-20-2001, 01:57 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by SinnedTL:
<STRONG>sorry to burst your bubble man but I think it was totally "YOUR" fault, here is my reasoning...I read your post and it was said that you...

1.Jacked the car up

So YOUR first mistake was, jacking up the car(This is not the first step in taking off the wheel). Second mistake was that, you didnt loosen the lugnuts BEFORE you attempted to jack the car up, which is the first golden rule when using the "shitty" factory jacks...this prevents extra weight of you pushing down on the 80lbs of torque that is applied onto each lugnut...which in turn would definetly stress the "stress points" (no pun intended) and the nonetheless "shitty factory jacks."

So while I admit the factory jacks cannot hold a whole lot of weight, this incident was basically YOUR fault...

but glad you didnt get hurt and use this as one of your life's valuable lessons...

Flame On!!!</STRONG>
In defense of Eclipse, I think you need to go Re-READ the post again. I took a pic of our jack, and Just by looking at the design of this thing, I could not imagine that it could lift over 3k lbs. Also, you should wait till he posts his pics of the broken jack before you start a flame
Old 08-20-2001, 02:16 AM
Pro

Even though he didn't type in the "loosen the lug nut detail", I beleive he did. It's nearly impossible to remove the front tires if the lugs weren't loose. The tire would spin freely as you try to loosen the lugs.

I think with all this weight saving, acura may have provided an inadequate jack.
Old 08-20-2001, 02:24 AM
www.drippinwet.com

hmmm, we had a service clinic at the dealership, we had a demonstration on how to jack up the car, the factory jack worked fine, i'll grant you its not like they are machines from billit 6075 aluminum or anything, but they do the job
Old 08-20-2001, 04:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mdaniel:
<STRONG>Didn't you learn anything from the flame wars after Revolver's crash? You can't blame anyone for their misfortune on this board.</STRONG>
Hehehehe...that brings back memories
Old 08-20-2001, 10:52 AM
Banned

Actually... it doesn't need to life 3,000 pounds. Al four wheels are not going to be lifted. Those little jacks more or less tilt the car a little just to life up one wheel. So I would guestimate that thing is lifting mo nore than 900 pounds. Think about it... Its not like lifting one leg of a chair, the wheels are not rigid, they tilt and are on springs. If he lifted two wheels of the car, he lifted it way too high.
When I had to change my tire, I thought the exact same thing. No way will this little peice of sheet metal support that car. So I lifted the one wheel (front left) about an inch. I did loosen the lug nuts half a turn before lifting though. I always thought it was to prevent the threads from getting bent.

But... Is there a better type of jack that will fit in ourcompartment? What about those foot jacks I see on cartoons all the time?
Old 08-20-2001, 10:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by SinnedTL:
<STRONG>sorry to burst your bubble man but I think it was totally "YOUR" fault, here is my reasoning...I read your post and it was said that you...

1.Jacked the car up

Flame On!!!</STRONG>
I should know better than to post without using the utmost care to explain my actions LOL. No bubbles to burst, your assumption was wrong. I loosened the nuts before jacking up I just did not post that because I thought it was common sense. Well, I think that most people would think that you have you car (3500 lbs) I guess 900pounds or so on that flimsy jack 6-8 inches off the ground, I would not try cracking lugs from that height IMO that's looking for a problem. I loosened them first, next time I'll be more detailed and BTW, why your own post thread?
Old 08-20-2001, 11:18 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

You have to jack up the car, to take the wheel off? WTF?
Old 08-20-2001, 11:22 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rock Dog:
<STRONG>You have to jack up the car, to take the wheel off? WTF?</STRONG>
huh? how do you take the wheel(s) w/o jacking it up? oh yeah, you just put it on a hydraulic lift
Old 08-20-2001, 11:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Rock Dog:
<STRONG>You have to jack up the car, to take the wheel off? WTF?</STRONG>
Ugh! Ever loosen your lugs before you jack up your car to take the wheel off? You crack them so you don't have to put all that pressure and stress off the jack. Then you jack up the car and simply hand unscrew the lugs and the wheel comes off. I can't believe you could not put that together please tell me your busting my chops....
Old 08-20-2001, 11:51 AM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

God Damn.. you guys are analyzing this mishap too much.... fell bad for him, thank god it wasnt you and move on...hehehe..
I must say it was funny to read... Someones tragedy is always someones comedy.. but after seeing & hearing his car yesterday.... aint nothing wrong.. But after telling us how you checked to make sure nothing was wrong... ECLIPSE.. you one CRAZY MOFO!!!! :p
Old 08-20-2001, 12:04 PM
Ain't No Other...

Originally posted by acura_service:
<STRONG>hmmm, we had a service clinic at the dealership, we had a demonstration on how to jack up the car, the factory jack worked fine, i'll grant you its not like they are machines from billit 6075 aluminum or anything, but they do the job</STRONG>
thank you, my point is that, if you use the jack correctly, and im not saying eclipse didnt, but most like 99% of the time the jack will hold its own...and please i do not know the details of the circumstance, but just my 2 cents.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Casper98CL:
<STRONG>God Damn.. you guys are analyzing this mishap too much.... fell bad for him, thank god it wasnt you and move on...hehehe..
I must say it was funny to read... Someones tragedy is always someones comedy.. but after seeing & hearing his car yesterday.... aint nothing wrong.. But after telling us how you checked to make sure nothing was wrong... ECLIPSE.. you one CRAZY MOFO!!!! :p </STRONG>
Casper Man! Love your ride we gotta hang! Find a bar in the city and I'll find my way there LOL. We should have an NYC meet so we can all bend our rims!!!!!!! Hit me up on email or AIM!
Old 08-20-2001, 12:48 PM
Race Director

In order to eliminate the chance that anything can go wrong with the car up on the scissor jack, I always minimize the amount of time that the tire is off the car.

This means having the replacement tire right there next to the flat tire so that when you pull off the flat tire and drop it to the ground, the spare tire goes on in about 15-30 seconds.

I just don't trust those scissor jacks. That look too flimsy to do the hard job. And btw, I never crawl underneath a vehicle, ever. Why? Once the Midas mechanic tried to get me to walk underneath my car that was 6 feet up on hydraulics. No way.
Old 08-20-2001, 02:27 PM
Firestarter

hey, now that we've given Revolver a few days to mourn, is it safe to start cracking on his driving skills?
Old 08-20-2001, 03:13 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

Originally posted by eclipse23:
<STRONG>

Casper Man! Love your ride we gotta hang! Find a bar in the city and I'll find my way there LOL. We should have an NYC meet so we can all bend our rims!!!!!!! Hit me up on email or AIM!</STRONG>
No doubt.. we should do something but NOT NYC.... My rims are new.. give me a few months befor I become a CABBIE!!!!

How far you from westchester (palisades Pkwy/Tappen ZEE or GW) Im 15mins from both...
Bars in Westchrester are hell of alot cheaper and decent crowds...
Old 08-20-2001, 03:17 PM
Pro

I carry a 3 ton jack in my trunk.. yea it is a heavy piece o (blank) but if I have a flat I am not trusting the jack that came with the car..
Old 08-20-2001, 06:12 PM
Red X

Originally posted by amirsafdari:
<STRONG>Also, why would your comment on the matter be any more important than anyone elses comment, why exactly would your comment need its own thread?

</STRONG>
that's what i'm talking about. just post in the original thread.
Old 08-20-2001, 06:16 PM
Adult Supervision

I got it!

Eclipse, you need to have your 500 lb girlfriend get out of the car before jacking it up!

LOL!!
Old 08-21-2001, 10:17 AM
Instructor

For those, who do not trust the Acura jack, PepBoys sells a nice hydrolic scissor jack with a slot to fit the lifting point, in a plastic carrying case for about $ 40. I bought one and it works great.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Guy with a really long account name:
<STRONG>I got it!

Eclipse, you need to have your 500 lb girlfriend get out of the car before jacking it up!

LOL!! </STRONG>
Your right but you know how your mom gets when you tell her to move

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: eclipse23 ]