CLS6 Comptech Icebox Install ???s

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face CLS6 Comptech Icebox Install ???s

I searched so flame if you want, but I had a question about the Icebox install my 03 6 spd.

I received the Icebox today all parts and instructions included... So the front bumper, I'm very hesitant to take it off... I know the lower airbox / resonator can be accessed from the fender well, but does anyone know the easiest way to access the lower intake? Is install of the air horn simple? I'm thinking about tackling this when I get off of work. 7:30pm so not much daylight if any left, but I have a garage and a jack so I know I can do it... Anywho, just looking for some friendly advice! Thanks people.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
You don't have to take the bumper off.

Jack up the car. Take the driver's side bottom stone shield off. You can get to everything from there.

You can follow these directions for removing the stock intake.

http://www.wizardsworks.org/chod/acura/cai/printme.html

Enjoy.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Talking

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
You don't have to take the bumper off.

Jack up the car. Take the driver's side bottom stone shield off. You can get to everything from there.

You can follow these directions for removing the stock intake.

http://www.wizardsworks.org/chod/acura/cai/printme.html

Enjoy.
Thanks a whole lot!
Old 02-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ljmushock
Thanks a whole lot!
You're welcome. Enjoy the Icebox. By the way, I replaced the foam filter in my Icebox with the K&N Drop in filter and it was even better.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:54 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're welcome. Enjoy the Icebox. By the way, I replaced the foam filter in my Icebox with the K&N Drop in filter and it was even better.
part number of the K&N please
Old 02-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by spdy0001
part number of the K&N please
Here you go.

K & N RU-2590
Old 02-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Here you go.

K & N RU-2590
Double thanks RavinJ... you kick arse
Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Talking Finished! Install was a B*TCH

Everything went smooth until the assembly of the filter to the elbow adapter... Two pieces that were shity glued together popped apart... I had to run to walmart and by some high temp plastic weld goopy stuff. It's holding together now though, and I'm satisfied... +1 Comptech for making a good looking quiet but powerful intake... -2 Comptech for using shity quality materials and parts.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Team Owner

Looks good.

One other thing I should have mentioned was to not tighten the bottom screw that holds the Icebox lid in place too tightly. I had 2 boxes that got messed up because they stripped. And I really didn't tighten them that much at all. I would actually take the bottom one out.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Looks good.

One other thing I should have mentioned was to not tighten the bottom screw that holds the Icebox lid in place too tightly. I had 2 boxes that got messed up because they stripped. And I really didn't tighten them that much at all. I would actually take the bottom one out.
10/4 ill have to loosen them up. i noticed they do not allign very well when everything is in place
Old 02-27-2007, 11:11 AM
i am so smart S M R T

how do you like the gains?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:34 AM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth, the front bumper is really easy to take off... I've had mine off 100 times. Now that I'm back to N/A, I love the IceBox again. That, the headers and B-pipe make the car sound really nice!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 01clsstock
how do you like the gains?
Phenomenal! It's not really a noticeable gain as far as feeling like your going a whole lot faster... The throttle response is much improved though, and although a lot of people say its too quiet, I think it sound perfect.. Not annoying at low speeds, but once the V-TEC kicks in it puts off a little growl.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlueCLS6
For what it's worth, the front bumper is really easy to take off... I've had mine off 100 times. Now that I'm back to N/A, I love the IceBox again. That, the headers and B-pipe make the car sound really nice!
Yup, I'd have to say that after popping off that little splash guard I could see how the bumper would be pretty easy to pop off... Of course I broke the first bumper clip trying to figure out how the come off, but afterwards they come off easy. Headers would be my next thing, how hard is the install?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Looks good.

Ravi - Did you get Comptech to send you replacement parts? Now that they *might* be going out of business, I was wondering what alternatives there may be. Self tapping screws?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Moodist
Ravi - Did you get Comptech to send you replacement parts? Now that they *might* be going out of business, I was wondering what alternatives there may be. Self tapping screws?
They did for the first one. I sold the car and parted it out instead of sending it back again. But they stood by their product really well.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Burning Brakes

I wonder if installing comptech parts will void my warranty?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Drinking Beer In

Yup, I'd have to say that after popping off that little splash guard I could see how the bumper would be pretty easy to pop off... Of course I broke the first bumper clip trying to figure out how the come off, but afterwards they come off easy. Headers would be my next thing, how hard is the install?
Toughest part of the header install is breaking loose the bolts to the cat. Airtools are a huge help, but lots of PB blaster and a breaker bar will work too. It is very tight around the heads, but if you take your time, it is not expecially complicated.

Good Luck!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

I wonder if installing comptech parts will void my warranty?
No, it will not.

My car had warranty work done and I had headers, intake, exhaust, cooling mods, spacers, UNIchip, rotors, calipers, coilovers and wheels. If the dealership gives you a tough time, go else where. Unless they can prove that the mod caused something to go wrong, they should not deny warranty work.

Take a read below....

The Magnusson Moss provisions are contained in Title 15 US Code Chapter 50 Section 2302 (c):

(c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if -

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.

The above section prohibits a warrantor from requiring use of purchased parts from the same source as the original equipment or some other specified source . It allows use of aftermarket purchased parts from other sources unless the Federal Trade Commission has granted to the warrantor a waiver of this section of the law.

The US Code of Federal Regulations provides additional guidance on warranties:

TITLE 16--COMMERCIAL PRACTICES
CHAPTER I--FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION

PART 701--DISCLOSURE OF WRITTEN CONSUMER PRODUCT WARRANTY TERMS AND CONDITIONS--Table of Contents

Sec. 701.3 Written warranty terms.

(a) Any warrantor warranting to a consumer by means of a written warranty a consumer product actually costing the consumer more than $15.00 shall clearly and conspicuously disclose in a single document in simple and readily understood language, the following items of information:

(1) The identity of the party or parties to whom the written warranty is extended, if the enforceability of the written warranty is limited to the original consumer purchaser or is otherwise limited to persons other than every consumer owner during the term of the warranty;

(2) A clear description and identification of products, or parts, or characteristics, or components or properties covered by and where necessary for clarification, excluded from the warranty;

(3) A statement of what the warrantor will do in the event of a defect, malfunction or failure to conform with the written warranty, including the items or services the warrantor will pay for or provide, and, where necessary for clarification, those which the warrantor will not pay for or provide. (emphasis added)
Old 02-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ijmushock, could you make a video or sound clip of you revving your engine? i would love to hear your icebox before i decide on which cai to buy.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
ijmushock, could you make a video or sound clip of you revving your engine? i would love to hear your icebox before i decide on which cai to buy.
Just listen to your stock air box
It sounds the same, except for a very slight whoosh when you turn the car off
Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
=[ AEM it is
Old 02-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
=[ AEM it is
LOLZ... yes its not very loud at all... I notice a slight difference in pitch under WOT and it sounds like a a K&N drop in at best...

I had a weapon R on my TL though and I dont care for too much noise from the intake.. Exhaust sound I like tho
Old 02-28-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Congrats. When you get your headers, let me know, I wanna help.