CLS vs non Turbo Carerra

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 03:07 PM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS vs non Turbo Carerra

Sunday-8:30am
It was my CLS-left lane vs. a Porsche 911 Carerra non-turbo right lane, side by side at a light making a left. The 2-lanes making that left merged into one for an on-ramp to interstate 76 in Pa.. He looked over at me at the light and it was confirmed. I made the drop into gated 1st w/ VSA off. The light changes and we were off. WOT 1 > 2.. and no Porsche to the right of me. He didn’t get the jump on me. “YES”! I entered the expressway in 2nd gear @ 6950 with no traffic ahead. Nice!! I bumped up to D3 heading for 120mph and with a quick look to my right I saw the Porsche. He passed me putting about 1-1/2 car lengths as I was reaching the power curve in 3rd.

We were the same distance apart the whole way, and on it REAL hard to appox. 136-138mph before we shut it down. I could not believe what just happened. First, the fastest I have ever had the car up to. Second, the Porsche did not walk my azz to bad. Finally we did not get F ‘ing busted by Pa's finest !!

We slowed and did the window rolls. He said “what the hell is in that thing” “I know I have about 380hp” “but it’s an auto” I said, “yeah It’s a V6 w/ cold air intake, basically stock man”! He said “Damn that thing is pretty impressive”. I said “It holds it’s own” but I want to do more to it”. We went on back and forth for awhile, testing the gearing of each car and having some safe fun. I guess some of the guys that own Porches are pretty cool with testing out their cars with us. I would rather do this shiet on the track and not on the road.
Old 10-15-2001, 05:59 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet man!!!!! You must have been damn proud of your car as it was with the Porsche. Speed freaks are pretty cool, always willing to talk hehe I talked to that guy in the firebird GTA going about 65. Land speed record huh? phew 138.....i've gotten to 125 a couple of times but that's it. I don't think i'll attempt the nether regions of the cls until i get the springs, sways and shocks installed.

By the way, the suspension upgrade will be next. Well, atleast at this minute Earlier today it was headers but I can't get the look out of BigPimp's car out of my mind I dunno...... Current thinking is power, handling, power, rims/tires, exhaust, sub? Have any ideas?
Old 10-16-2001, 07:55 AM

Yeah, I would go suspension and tires next. Yes, i'm proud of the car, that race was crazy though man. If it was not early on Sun. with no cars I would of never of participated. I will say this, "3rd gear is the bomb!!" 4th will get ya top end and god knows when 5th will apply. It was the perfect time 1/4 tank, 48degrees/ little humidity.

I'm looking into the H&R's, I like the look of the car with them.
I might do some headers myself if I can get a deal on them somewhere but I have a feeling tyres will come first!
Old 10-16-2001, 08:31 AM
Contagious

That was a wild story bro. It is so great when you race a car like that and the person driving is cool about it.

Here's my own Porsche race story. I remember when I first got my CL-S. I was pulling out of the Boathouse in Malvern (you know where that is) and in my rearview, I saw the headlights of a 911 C2. The difference between my story any yours is mine does not have a happy ending. Your conditions were just about perfect, mine could not have been much worse.

Problem #1: Few drinks in me

Of course, when in Rome.....(or the Boathose in this case)

Problem #2: It was raining

A few drinks WILL make you do dumb things

Problem #3: Decided to race down Rt 29 towards Phoenixville

For all you who do not know Rt 29, it is a very twisty road that is basically down the side of a big hill. Very slick and extremely dangerous when wet (as my Porsche friend was about to find out.)

Back to the story. I see the headlights in my rearview and when the light turns green, I pull out slow because it is wet. He followed right behind, getting right up my ass. Obviously, this made me a bit annoyed and the booze began to take over. So we make the right onto 29 and the race is on. We start going around the turns at pretty high speeds for the road (50-55 mph) and then gunning it up to about 65-70 on the little straights. Well, on the very last turn before the road straightens out (by the bridge if you are familiar w/29) I see a horrible thing in my rear view. As I exited the turn, I looked back and saw his headlights spin around. I knew what happened. This guy demolished his new 911. I did turn around to see if he was OK. He was (thankfully). Well, I asked him if he was OK and such, and he said yep. Then, the dude looks at his car (completely demolished) and says (like a true jackass) "Well, I am getting my new turbo in a month or so, no big deal". Needless to say, I did not feel sorry for him afterwords. I think he was just pissed because he totalled his new 911 and my car handled everything OK.

Now, I will not say I am the greatest driver ever. I am good, but nothing special. What I did that night was probably one of the dumbest things I will ever do in my life. Luckily, everything turned out OK for me. I did realize that and now I will only "race" when conditions permit. Never in traffic, rain, or on dangerous roads.

Sorry this is so long. It was a pretty crazy night. But hey, you still had a good race!!!

Later
Old 10-16-2001, 09:29 AM

Damn, sounds worse hearing it the second time!!
I remember you told that story at the Great Valley meet and could not believe this guy was not phased as to what really happened, but blew it off by saying he was getting a new Turbo soon.
OMFG!! Lucky you were not stoped by a passing cop or something. They would of nailed your cocc to the wall.

We should plan a trip to the outdoor range soon. I'm looking into purchasing a WW2 M1 Garand real soon.
Old 10-16-2001, 09:56 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by xenon7
Yeah, I would go suspension and tires next. Yes, i'm proud of the car, that race was crazy though man. If it was not early on Sun. with no cars I would of never of participated. I will say this, "3rd gear is the bomb!!" 4th will get ya top end and god knows when 5th will apply. It was the perfect time 1/4 tank, 48degrees/ little humidity.

I'm looking into the H&R's, I like the look of the car with them.
I might do some headers myself if I can get a deal on them somewhere but I have a feeling tyres will come first!
any reason why you wouldnt go with the eibachs? i think they are 1.8f/1.5r and the H&R's are 1.75 front and back.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Zapata

any reason why you wouldnt go with the eibachs? i think they are 1.8f/1.5r and the H&R's are 1.75 front and back.

I guess I'm looking for a somewhat conservative drop. I need to see another couple of CLS's before I make any decisions. Tyres are going to happen first regardless!! Stocks "eat um up- yum"!!!
Old 10-16-2001, 02:19 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

bigpimp's is a bit much for you?
Old 10-17-2001, 07:09 AM
Shalom

No way

There is no way your car NA would hang with a 911 on the highway? What year was the 911? New ones top out stock around 165-170!!!
Old 10-17-2001, 07:12 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

eh buddy, i'm going to take that BS flag and beat you with it. Xenon_7 is a reputable member of this board.....if he says that's what happened.....that's what happened. You've got one post so watch it rookie, step down or get smacked down. :sqntfawk:
Old 10-17-2001, 07:17 AM
Shalom

I had a question..what year was the 911? If it was new he was probably in 6th gear the whole time. If it was a early 80's a CL-S might be able to hang back for a little bit. Anyone who believes their NA CL-S can even come close to hanging with newer 911 is dreaming to say the least.

eh buddy, i'm going to take that BS flag and beat you with it. Xenon_7 is a reputable member of this board.....if he says that's what happened.....that's what happened. You've got one post so watch it rookie, step down or get smacked down. :sqntfawk:
Old 10-17-2001, 07:21 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

hey dummy, did you even read his post......the other car was also. N/A.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:28 AM
Shalom

Duh! 99% of 911's are NA smart guy! Where did I mention that the 911 was not NA? Please show me! You obviously know very little about 911's. NA or turbo 911 there is no way a NA CL-S would come close to hanging with one off the line, mid range, top end, cornering or braking. Instead of smartass replies why not let him reply with with the answer as to what year the 911 was? If it was within the last 10 years the 911 was not racing full out through all gears.

hey dummy, did you even read his post......the other car was also. N/A.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:36 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Shalom
Duh! 99% of 911's are NA smart guy! Where did I mention that the 911 was not NA? Please show me! You obviously know very little about 911's. NA or turbo 911 there is no way a NA CL-S would come close to hanging with one off the line, mid range, top end, cornering or braking. Instead of smartass replies why not let him reply with with the answer as to what year the 911 was? If it was within the last 10 years the 911 was not racing full out through all gears.

You know what, you are right

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2001/pors...tml?id=lin0018

A cl-s with an intake in optimal atmospheric conditions could hang. Maybe the guy missed a shift or stalled it off the line and by the time the guy got it going it was too late. Anything is possible and for you to say that it could never happen.....even if he was trying to race is just stupid.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:38 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

just because you have no concept.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:46 AM
Shalom

What is up with this guy? Is everyone like him on this board? Jeez grow up! I never said the story was BS! But if the 911 was relatively new and he was redlining each optimal gear it would destroy a CL-S on the highway. As for your "optimal atmospheric conditions " what a joke! You don't think that doesn't help a 911?

PS Let the person who posted answer the question rather that you flood the thread with lame replies and nonesense. Oh ya and did I mention to GROW UP! Kids these days...
Old 10-17-2001, 08:00 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

kids RIIIIGHT.....again demostrating your igonrance. You know nothing about me or Xenon_7 and you are talking shit and questioning everything. It's alright man......what you're doing is pretty indicative what a smaller number new members to the board do.......not every race is to redline and not every driver goes to redline. However, if the other guy wasn't involved in a friendly race then why the hell would he go up to 140mph? Sure, optimal atmospheric conditions are always good but some cars respond better than others. A car that's tuned for performance, i.e,., the porsche, may not show the gains that a car that's tuned for reliability with alittle performance.
Old 10-17-2001, 08:08 AM
Shalom

If your not a kid ie. under 25 You sure act like one. Either way GROW UP! Did I say the 911 wasn't racing at all? I said if a 911 was going full out there is no way a CL-S can hang. What is your problem????
GROW UP Your the one being ignorant. But your too busy to realize stumbling over all your lame replies. I asked one question 10 posts ago and you have had nothing reasonable to say since!

PS You said I was talking shit? Please show me? You make a lot of comments but don't back any of them up let alone read the posts.

kids RIIIIGHT.....again demostrating your igonrance. You know nothing about me or Xenon_7 and you are talking shit and questioning everything. It's alright man......what you're doing is pretty indicative what a smaller number new members to the board do.......not every race is to redline and not every driver goes to redline. However, if the other guy wasn't involved in a friendly race then why the hell would he go up to 140mph? Sure, optimal atmospheric conditions are always good but some cars respond better than others. A car that's tuned for performance, i.e,., the porsche, may not show the gains that a car that's tuned for reliability with alittle performance.
Old 10-17-2001, 08:36 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Thanks Dad! I feel so educated now! I'm acting like a child....right. You are new to the board and you start off by calling people liers and questioning the veracity of what happened. Show some respect. All of your other posts have been completely negative and non- respectful for those who have been on this board forever. I have defended all my statements. What questions of your have not answered? I forwarded you some stats about the carerra to help in explaining why Xenon_7 would've stayed with it and you have nothing to say except that it isn't possible. Thus, it seems that you are making blanket statements without offereing anything but anecdotal arguments.
Old 10-17-2001, 08:51 AM
Shalom

"Liers"??? Oh you mean Liars? Please show me where I said anyone was a Liar? Please do! And my question was what year the 911 that is it? Respect? You know very little about! Look at all your immature replies? Do you own the server that runs this board? I own a CL-S as well so what is your point?? This is very lame bottomline and you are very immature! You have not backed up any of your statments at all! I've heard stories about certain people on this board... I guess you are one of them. GROW UP

PS A CL-S cannot not hang with a newer 911 (if driven even remotely hard) PERIOD! Anyone who denies this is crazy!

Thanks Dad! I feel so educated now! I'm acting like a child....right. You are new to the board and you start off by calling people liers and questioning the veracity of what happened. Show some respect. All of your other posts have been completely negative and non- respectful for those who have been on this board forever. I have defended all my statements. What questions of your have not answered? I forwarded you some stats about the carerra to help in explaining why Xenon_7 would've stayed with it and you have nothing to say except that it isn't possible. Thus, it seems that you are making blanket statements without offereing anything but anecdotal arguments.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:10 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

"There is no way your car NA would hang with a 911 on the highway? What year was the 911? New ones top out stock around 165-170!!!"

You are basically saying that his account of what happened is false? Is that not calling him a liar?
Old 10-17-2001, 09:21 AM
Contagious

I have to agree with Zapata on this one S. You did basically say that Xenon was BS'n in his description of the race. We all realize that we cannot hang with a 911. However, it does seem that in this case, Xenon did. Maybe the guy in the 911 missed a shift, maybe he was just messing around, but please don't come on this board and start talking smack. I know for a fact that Xenon would not BS about anything. I guess you are gonna call BS on my story too...I mean there is no way a CL-S could outhandle a 911 in the twisties (eventhough I still have my car.....unlike the guy in the Porsche whose car was TOTALLED!!!)

Please, knock it off or you will be flamed everytime you post. Just some friendly advice.

Oh, and by the way, I suggest you not call me immature or childish, I may find you and beat you with the BS flag (after Zapata)

- Fin
Old 10-17-2001, 12:53 PM
Shalom

I'm saying our CL-S cannot hang with a 911 on the highway. We are assuming the 911 is racing for real and not just playing. The CL-S lost obviously and if the 911 was going full out it would have been a lot worse. At least he posted up his loss!

"There is no way your car NA would hang with a 911 on the highway? What year was the 911? New ones top out stock around 165-170!!!"

You are basically saying that his account of what happened is false? Is that not calling him a liar?
Old 10-17-2001, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Calm down.....

Yo, Zapata, CCns, chill de fuck down, give this guy a chance. I think the only reason you guys are jumping on this guy is because you know Xenon, as do I, but thats it.

Zapata, you have a short fuse man, chill man, chilllllllll.
Shalom never said anything bad, he just asked for validity of this story, he did not flame, just questioned. I mean come on, think about, how likely is it that a CLS hangs with a 911, not very, so why you need to get all hype over this when it was not even your race At least let Xenon get on this, you know, and defend himself.

Thats what this board is about (discussion) and Zapata just cause you been on the board for a few months , does not mean you gotta throw it into people's faces, be cool partner, be cool . Everyone was a newbie once, at least this guy is not posting shit or trolling (at least not yet )

Shalom, as far as this story, yeah I know Xenon too and personally dont think he will make this up, just not that type of guy. And you gotta admit that this could be possible because the race went all the way to 138 , that is pretty high for both the cls and the 911. When the race goes to triple digits, its up to the driver, meaning how far each one is willing to push. Porsche was leading all the way, Xenon said car and a half, so we dont doubt Porsche wins, maybe the guy did not want to push it and judging from the story was impressed by the CLS.

Thats my story and I am sticking with it. Now stop flaming each other, it aint worth it.

-the new racing stories peacemaker
Old 10-17-2001, 03:01 PM

OMFG!!!

Thanks for the back -up Zapata and CCNS
I just read these threads and I offer the following in response:

The race happened "Shalom" real simple man. And where the heck are you from anyway, I have never seen any of your posts on this board? First off, I don't like conflict!! To come on this side of the board to express a racing story does lend itself to much questioning I know, However the true stories for the peeps who have pride in their own CL's or have rare incounters enjoy making good text for us to read- i.e. mine. I would like to make it clear to you Shalom that when I come and post that only post truths. IMO, I feel that you overreacted and just assumed that the post was untruthful, hence the BS flag.

Fact:
The non-turbo, automatic transmission, 911 Carrera Cabriolet 320hp car walked my ass, no F 'ing argument! I was just real impressed at how well the CL-S did on the mid and high end. The guy was just as impressed with the performance as i was because nomally we don't take the cars up to those speeds on the local interstates.

…and Shalom, I hope your future posts I read reflect some of who you really are because I hate to jump to concusions. My BS flag is here and ready.

Old 10-17-2001, 03:09 PM
Safety Car

Re: OMFG!!!

Originally posted by xenon7
Thanks for the back -up Zapata and CCNS
I just read these threads and I offer the following in response:

The race happened "Shalom" real simple man. And where the heck are you from anyway, I have never seen any of your posts on this board? First off, I don't like conflict!! To come on this side of the board to express a racing story does lend itself to much questioning I know, However the true stories for the peeps who have pride in their own CL's or have rare incounters enjoy making good text for us to read- i.e. mine. I would like to make it clear to you Shalom that when I come and post that only post truths. IMO, I feel that you overreacted and just assumed that the post was untruthful, hence the BS flag.

Fact:
The non-turbo, automatic transmission, 911 Carrera Cabriolet 320hp car walked my ass, no F 'ing argument! I was just real impressed at how well the CL-S did on the mid and high end. The guy was just as impressed with the performance as i was because nomally we don't take the cars up to those speeds on the local interstates.

…and Shalom, I hope your future posts I read reflect some of who you really are because I hate to jump to concusions. My BS flag is here and ready.

There we go, the man himself, shows face. Did shalom use a BS flag, cause I did not see it, and hope that he did not. if he did.

Old 10-17-2001, 03:20 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: Calm down.....

Originally posted by BigPimp
Yo, Zapata, CCns, chill de fuck down, give this guy a chance. I think the only reason you guys are jumping on this guy is because you know Xenon, as do I, but thats it.

Zapata, you have a short fuse man, chill man, chilllllllll.
Shalom never said anything bad, he just asked for validity of this story, he did not flame, just questioned. I mean come on, think about, how likely is it that a CLS hangs with a 911, not very, so why you need to get all hype over this when it was not even your race At least let Xenon get on this, you know, and defend himself.

Thats what this board is about (discussion) and Zapata just cause you been on the board for a few months , does not mean you gotta throw it into people's faces, be cool partner, be cool . Everyone was a newbie once, at least this guy is not posting shit or trolling (at least not yet )

Shalom, as far as this story, yeah I know Xenon too and personally dont think he will make this up, just not that type of guy. And you gotta admit that this could be possible because the race went all the way to 138 , that is pretty high for both the cls and the 911. When the race goes to triple digits, its up to the driver, meaning how far each one is willing to push. Porsche was leading all the way, Xenon said car and a half, so we dont doubt Porsche wins, maybe the guy did not want to push it and judging from the story was impressed by the CLS.

Thats my story and I am sticking with it. Now stop flaming each other, it aint worth it.

-the new racing stories peacemaker

I'm not pissed and fuse is till pretty intacted so no worries. Nah, man I don't have a problem with newbies questioning other people etc., etc., but this guy showed a total lack of respect and spoke so authoritatively(except saying things like there is no way etc., etc.,). I may have came on a little strong but I was attempting to nip problems like this in the bud so that we don't have people like shaka roaming. It's a matter of respect and civility. If one is new to a place, then respect those who are there before you. Earn your stripes and your props from your peers so you don't end up sounding like a punk when you question a person's integrity. I would be extremely hesitant to start questioning you, soopa, wayne, radams etc., because I assume with confidence that your time on the board has afforded you with a large knowledge; Both practical and book. Look at his post in response to jdtypes' post:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=51038

A bit of arrogance....atleast i think so. He did the same thing with Xenon's post. The krux of Xenon's post was that his car did well when racing with the carerra and that was it and even admited that the dude was ahead. Xenon never said that he won or would've won or whatever. This clown starts raising the flag on that? Give me a break........

The intensity of my response might have been swayed since I know xenon but i'm a little tired of people raising the flag on stories that are pretty reasonable and that don't make any outrages claims. There's no room for stuff like that on this board. Most of the people here are pretty reasonable and straightforward so there isn't any reason for someone to start jumping on everybody. People like that prevent others from posting their experiences and IMO that reduces the quality of the board and takes away from the essence of this board; that is to share knowledge, experience etc.,
Old 10-18-2001, 08:24 AM

Alright Guys, this is not what the true integrity of CL board is all about.

"Shalom" we are all members here sharing a common intrest and we always welcome new members and accept their presents on all forums. After going back and re-reading the posts, it seemed that you were trying to express your opinion the best you knew how at the time.

I'm not saying in total what you said was right, but i have this feeling when he hit the "submit" tag, you were not intentionally looking for hard core conflict with other members or myself. I usally don't post my racing stories, (what few I have) cuz I would rather do this shit on the track where it is safe and then talk about it with real numbers.

Zapata, CCNS, BigPimp, you guys are good people! and I don't want others to get bad impressions. I think we can all handle moving on and starting over again on a new slate with Shalom.

I think we can stop this thread now.
Peace
Old 10-18-2001, 08:30 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

werd.
Old 10-18-2001, 01:38 PM
Banned

Alright...everyone to their respected corners.

I don't want to have to close this thread, because it was good reading. But I will if I have to.