CLS Vs. GT stang

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 08:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Maximized
Seems like your very popular over at that forum too
Yep, most of them are my buds....we like talking shit on there to everyone then we meet in person and all hang out. Hehehehe. Thats the way TRS has always been! :P
Old 09-27-2002, 11:46 PM
Big Ballin' GangSTAR

Sorry guys, I've been away from this thread for a few days now. I was reading some of the replies but there's just too many. But here's my 2 cents:

I personally really like mustangs. They sound really mean with a borla exhaust. Anyway, whether a cl-s or a mustang gt is faster in the quarter, is very DEBATABLE. There are a lot of factors that determine which is faster. However, in all honesty, the mustang gt's gearing is very shitty! Sure it has 302 pounds of torque. But it's horsepower that matters the most. The gt's horses are not properly utilized due to the poor gearing. I test drive one the beginning of this year. The 0-50 was amazing! But after 50, the car really starts to die down. It has a helluva take off, but not much more after that.

On the freeway, the cl-s definitely rules!!! The mustang gt just doesn't quite have that freeway speed. On the 1/4, like I said...
DEBATABLE.

And if a mustang gt does beat a cl-s. Wow! Big deal! What's there to be proud of??? A lighter V8 against a heavier V6?????
The V6 mustangs are probably the one of the crappiest V6s ever made. Probably can't even beat a V6 accord.

Bottom line, the cl way outclasses the mustang gt. Why do you think mustang gt's are so cheap????? But with some simple bolt-ons, the mustang gt's get a lot faster.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:59 AM
Instructor

always comparing apples to oranges. yes, the gt is faster and should be. however, every now and then a car like a cls will beat one, especially on the street. On average though it's going to be the stang. Damn well it should, it's a pony car that's unrefined, designed to be cheap and fast, with some flash. The CLS is not a sports car, it's a LUXURY sport car. Nice, but surely not all out. The M3, the S4, the new volvo S60R, and clk 32amg/55 are sports cars ladened with luxury options that go the extra mile to make the performance, sure you can do it aftermarket to a CLS, but then again you can also do it to a town car as well if you really wanted to.

I'd have no problem getting beaten down by a stang, nor admitting they're faster than my cls (on average). However in a light to light race or quick jump on the highway, there's nothing better than running with, pulling on, or falling slightly off the pace of a guy who bought a V8 muscle car, all crude and crass and still can't thrash my japanese, v6, vtec, luxury ride...That's what the CLS is about. And when we find a dud of a stang, or someone that just can't max it out and we beat them it's all the better. Won't happen all the time, or even most of the time, but it will happen. Same thing can and does happen with you GT stang guys against your arch rivals with LS1s which are clearly more powerful and faster...but every now and then...doesn't mean the sohc 4.6 is FASTER than the LS1, period. rather in that instance it was.

Joe
Old 09-28-2002, 09:52 AM
Selling Chicken Parts

Originally posted by roo97ss
always comparing apples to oranges. yes, the gt is faster and should be. however, every now and then a car like a cls will beat one, especially on the street. On average though it's going to be the stang. Damn well it should, it's a pony car that's unrefined, designed to be cheap and fast, with some flash. The CLS is not a sports car, it's a LUXURY sport car. Nice, but surely not all out. The M3, the S4, the new volvo S60R, and clk 32amg/55 are sports cars ladened with luxury options that go the extra mile to make the performance, sure you can do it aftermarket to a CLS, but then again you can also do it to a town car as well if you really wanted to.

I'd have no problem getting beaten down by a stang, nor admitting they're faster than my cls (on average). However in a light to light race or quick jump on the highway, there's nothing better than running with, pulling on, or falling slightly off the pace of a guy who bought a V8 muscle car, all crude and crass and still can't thrash my japanese, v6, vtec, luxury ride...That's what the CLS is about. And when we find a dud of a stang, or someone that just can't max it out and we beat them it's all the better. Won't happen all the time, or even most of the time, but it will happen. Same thing can and does happen with you GT stang guys against your arch rivals with LS1s which are clearly more powerful and faster...but every now and then...doesn't mean the sohc 4.6 is FASTER than the LS1, period. rather in that instance it was.

Joe
well put, sir.

I wish to hell I could beat an LS-1 for more than the 60' though, lol.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:11 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Infiltr8r
I wish to hell I could beat an LS-1 for more than the 60' though, lol.
It's a great feeling.....but I admit I couldn't do it stock.....unless he the LS1 driver was a newbie. You better start modding that pony.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:15 AM
Selling Chicken Parts

Originally posted by fiveoh-tl
It's a great feeling.....but I admit I couldn't do it stock.....unless he the LS1 driver was a newbie. You better start modding that pony.

oh it's coming...I know better
Old 09-28-2002, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally posted by DaXtReMeP!MP
The 0-50 was amazing! But after 50, the car really starts to die down. It has a helluva take off, but not much more after that.

On the freeway, the cl-s definitely rules!!! The mustang gt just doesn't quite have that freeway speed. On the 1/4, like I said...
DEBATABLE.

Stock GTs trap 100+, stock CLSs do not. This would tend to refute your claims.
Old 09-28-2002, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Pull_T
Stock GTs trap 100+, stock CLSs do not. This would tend to refute your claims.
I have yet to see a stock GT run traps of 100+ here. All are high 90s.
Old 09-28-2002, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SilverBullet
I have yet to see a stock GT run traps of 100+ here. All are high 90s.
I've seen it lots of times at HRP and River City.

What do you run anyway?
Old 09-28-2002, 11:32 AM
Banned

I've seen it lots of times at HRP and River City.

What do you run anyway?
I only ran 15.3 at 92 for my 1st time in the car. I did really bad. lol when my maxima did 14.8 5spd this car has a bit more power I just spun in 1st pretty bad and didn't launch right. I plan to go back when its colder again since this car is obviously faster.
Old 09-28-2002, 02:10 PM
Banned

I only ran 15.3 at 92 for my 1st time in the car. I did really bad. lol when my maxima did 14.8 5spd this car has a bit more power I just spun in 1st pretty bad and didn't launch right. I plan to go back when its colder again since this car is obviously faster.
15.3 @ 92 and you are talking shit? Hahahahaha

That is horrible. At least get you car into the 14.7-14.8 range like some of the other guys around here before you talk smack about beating GTs.

Bwwwahahahahahahaha
Old 09-28-2002, 02:39 PM
Banned

15.3 @ 92 and you are talking shit? Hahahahaha

That is horrible. At least get you car into the 14.7-14.8 range like some of the other guys around here before you talk smack about beating GTs.

Bwwwahahahahahahaha
What can I say, I suck at the track right now. lol

SWT-CLS ran 1 week ago with headers, intake, and pulleys, he got 15.4s at 94-95 mph. He agreed that our track really sucks!

heehehe. He got 14.5 at HOUSTON. You guys have the good track!
Old 09-28-2002, 03:39 PM
Suzuka Master

What can I say, I suck at the track right now. lol

SWT-CLS ran 1 week ago with headers, intake, and pulleys, he got 15.4s at 94-95 mph. He agreed that our track really sucks!

heehehe. He got 14.5 at HOUSTON. You guys have the good track!
That 15.4@94-95 MPH is good for about high 14s.