CLS Vs. GT stang

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 12:01 AM
Selling Chicken Parts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 6speedS
A stock cl type-s 6 speed can and should always beat a stock gt, even the newest model. All major magazines test the latest GT between 6.0 and 6.3 seconds (Car & Driver was 6.3) and the CL at 5.8/5.9 seconds. This is with the GT's manual also. The quarter mile times were all slower than the GT as well. I can't wait until a mustang wants to try to run me. I have an AEM intake and a stainless exhaust system, try me GT owners! Traction is a big factor though too and knowing how to launch.

I'm your huckleberry...
Old 09-26-2002, 12:02 AM
Selling Chicken Parts

That 5 (or is it 10?) hp mod has me shakin in ma boots!
Old 09-26-2002, 12:03 AM
Selling Chicken Parts

Traction no prob

Did I mention I pull 2.0 60' times on stock tires?

Heh heh, i may hafta make a special trip to MD just to play
Old 09-26-2002, 07:24 AM
im back

infiltr8r, when does e-town close. and also what mods do you have on yours
Old 09-26-2002, 07:41 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Way too hot...

Originally posted by cephas
You sure those mustangs were racing? I mean, you probably have the fastest CL in the world, but since the Mustang is lighter, and generates more torque with equal horsepower...

But yeah, I forgot, your the best driver ever, and those Rustang drivers all were scared of you. Probably slowed down in deference, right?
People seem to forget the Mustang doesn't have good gearing stock, and it also doesn't have the highway grunt we do due to gearing.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:29 AM
Virile, vigorous & potent

Originally posted by I am RobG
grand national. that is my dream car....and a turbo t/a
If you can't find one for sale locally, check with Dennis Kirban (http://kirbansperformance.com). He buys and sells them all the time. Here's some other listings: http://gnttype.org/trader/cars_wk0.html

A stock cl type-s 6 speed can and should always beat a stock gt, even the newest model. All major magazines test the latest GT between 6.0 and 6.3 seconds (Car & Driver was 6.3) and the CL at 5.8/5.9 seconds. This is with the GT's manual also. The quarter mile times were all slower than the GT as well. I can't wait until a mustang wants to try to run me. I have an AEM intake and a stainless exhaust system, try me GT owners!
What did I just get done saying about magazine times?

I'd run you in my GN if you were in N. GA. At stock boost it's performance is identical to '99-up Mustang GTs. But since you probably wouldn't be willing to drive all the way here just for a race, perhaps one of your peers in N. GA who agrees with you will step up to the plate to represent you.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:30 AM
Cruisin'

A stock cl type-s 6 speed can and should always beat a stock gt, even the newest model. All major magazines test the latest GT between 6.0 and 6.3 seconds (Car & Driver was 6.3) and the CL at 5.8/5.9 seconds. This is with the GT's manual also. The quarter mile times were all slower than the GT as well. I can't wait until a mustang wants to try to run me. I have an AEM intake and a stainless exhaust system, try me GT owners! Traction is a big factor though too and knowing how to launch.
A stock CL Type-S 6-speed will never beat my stock '01 Mustang GT Convertible. I considered the CL-Type S (auto) when I bought my GT, but opted with the GT because it is quicker, has a convertible top, and was available with a manual tranny whereas the Acura was not.

The Motor Trend 0-60 time for a 2001 Mustang GT convertible with an auto tranny is 5.6 seconds. That's with an auto and an extra couple of hundred pounds for the convertible top motor. Anyone who takes Car & Driver's numbers to heart is an idiot. They ran a 2001 Mustang GT at 15.1 in the quarter; I ran mine at 15.0. And they're professional drivers.

But who cares about 0-60? It's all about the quarter-mile. Like I said, my '01 GT Vert ran 15.0, and that was only my second run EVER. The coupes are easily 0.4 seconds quicker every time.

I'm not trying to talk trash or anything, I'm just trying to clear some stuff up. If any of you disagree, I urge you to email me and meet me at the quarter-mile strip in Steele, Alabama so we can run there. I don't want to be an Internet arguer.

EDIT: A guy in my Mustang club has a 2002 GT Coupe. When it was bone stock with 331 miles on it, he ran a 13.8 in the quarter. He's been racing cars for 14 years, so he's kind of an expert. He also said that that particular car was far quicker than the other two GTs he test drove.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:33 AM
im back

thanks for the links but still can't quite afford one...and thats an understatement a grand national at stock boost is definitely faster than the new mustangs. the turba t/a which is more or less the same motor is runnin 0-60 in 5.4 and the 1/4 in 14 even. Your GN isn't much slower
Old 09-26-2002, 08:45 AM

a grand national at stock boost is definitely faster than the new mustangs.
No it isn't. Both are low-14 to high-13 second cars. Every run I've had against a '99+ GT has been so close it was a driver's race. In fact, the most recent race I've had against one there was only a few hundredths of a second difference in ET. He had a better '60 and a better trap speed, but I had a slightly lower ET. So maybe he granny-shifted.

the turba t/a which is more or less the same motor is runnin 0-60 in 5.4 and the 1/4 in 14 even. Your GN isn't much slower
That must be a magazine number because in real life they're capable of low- to mid-13s.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:53 AM
Cruisin'

This is from Edmunds.com regarding the 2003 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S with a 6-speed manual:
During instrumented testing, our test car went from 0 to 60 mph in 6.4 seconds and cleared the quarter-mile in 15.0 seconds at 95.2 mph.
And that is with their professional drivers. Mine ran 15.0 at a higher speed my second time ever down the 1320.

This is also from Edmunds.com, this time regarding the 2001 Mustang GT Convertible:
Acceleration (0-60 mph): 6.1 sec
Old 09-26-2002, 09:07 AM
shooting for 1200+rwhp

bluestangvert.....i know youre not trying to talk trash, but a stock CL will never beat your stang....please...I just posted on the stangnet board that we will beat you. Ive seen a stock 6spd run low 14's at the track, which will even beat your coupe at 14.6. Anyways, a bunch of us have tried to get you guys to come down to charlotte, but no one will. There's even one guy in Rock Hill, 20mins away, who talked shit, but will never back it up, so we're thinking about making a trip to Rock Hill this weekend. Anyways, if no stock CL can beat your stang, I will take off my CAI (5-7hp) and will still beat you......
Old 09-26-2002, 09:12 AM
Intermediate

FYI...

I ran 14.099@99.5 on my first time out to the track.

My mods are below.

I've been reading this site for almost two years now. I started before I graduated (BSME may 2001 from UMD) because I wanted to buy an a type S after I graduated. Well after test driving a the GT, I knew that all I really wanted in the type S was speed. SO I figured why waste my money on luxury when I could buy more speed for less money?! And thats what I did! However, If and when I'm ready for a more "mature" car the CL or TL typeS will be at the top of my list....

But for now I HAVE to call out this BS. I scanned my time slip, but I can't attach it since its over 1 byte, lol, and I dont have a website to host it.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:16 AM
Cruisin'

More numbers, these from Motor Trend:
...0-60 mph in 5.4 seconds and a 14.0-second/100.2-mph quarter-mile run is as good or better than any stock Mustang we've ever tested...
Motor Trend got the CL Type S to run 0-60 in 6.1, but that's still 0.7 seconds slower than the GT Vert.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:18 AM
Cruisin'

I guess it's a driver's race. Anyone in the Birmingham area with a stock 6-speed CL Type S?
Old 09-26-2002, 09:22 AM
shooting for 1200+rwhp

do you really think that your vert runs 0-60 in 5.4 secs???? Please....you guys have the exact same HP as we do, but more torque.....its like you said, a drivers race.....TruBlu...im glad you ran a 14.0 bone stock....I guess you got a mustang that was built correctly
Old 09-26-2002, 09:32 AM

For those of you quoting Road and Driver Trend numbers:

Old 09-26-2002, 09:35 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Zootking
do you really think that your vert runs 0-60 in 5.4 secs???? Please....you guys have the exact same HP as we do, but more torque.....its like you said, a drivers race.....TruBlu...im glad you ran a 14.0 bone stock....I guess you got a mustang that was built correctly
I'm just telling you what Motor Trend said. Even so, with the same weight, same horsepower, and more torque, the GT will beat the CL off the line. We have 70 lb-ft more torque. That's 33% more, which is a LOT.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:36 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by lyonsd
For those of you quoting Road and Driver Trend numbers:

Grow up. What are we going to do, get a stopwatch and time our own 0-60 times? Just look at all the mags with good drivers. Every time the GT was quicker than the CL. That's the way it is!
Old 09-26-2002, 09:53 AM
Cruisin'

Here's 2k1trublu's time slip:
Old 09-26-2002, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by BlueStangVert
Grow up. What are we going to do, get a stopwatch and time our own 0-60 times? Just look at all the mags with good drivers. Every time the GT was quicker than the CL. That's the way it is!
Ever heard of a drag strip?
Old 09-26-2002, 09:56 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by lyonsd
Ever heard of a drag strip?
They don't time 0-60, and we've been talking about our drag strip runs for the last two hours!!!
Old 09-26-2002, 10:21 AM
fastest time 13.4@107 !!!

They don't time 0-60, and we've been talking about our drag strip runs for the last two hours!!!

you all seen my video of my 13.7@103 on stangnet.com
Old 09-26-2002, 10:23 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by fastvtecCL
you all seen my video of my 13.7@103 on stangnet.com
Not really. We saw your launch, but not the finish or the time. I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying what the video showed.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:23 AM

Who cares about 0-60?
Old 09-26-2002, 10:33 AM
im back

i wanna know when e-town closes because i'm going out there and i wanna run against a gt. I've ran against 2 mustangs in my life, lx 5.0 with same mods as me and beat him by .4 seconds now i wanna run against a 99-2002 on the strip.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:37 AM
D.K
3rd Gear

Wow...how the hell did I get a username and password here without registering?

Anyway, stock for stock, mod for mod, driver to driver, there's no way in hell a CL-S will beat a newer model Mustang GT. Stop mag racing for a change, and actually check out Mustang owners timeslips...in fact, why don't some of you get some timeslips of your own. Most of you shit talkers are far from professional drivers, so if you think you'll be pulling Motor Trend/Car & Driver numbers your first time out, think again. Stock, I'm running a best of 13.9 @ 101 MPH on stock radials and I can't drive, so imagine what that time would be if I could (I wasn't running in cold weather either). Show me a stock CL that's capable of either my ET or the MPH. Without the aid of forced induction, I doubt a CL could even break well into the 13s...if it could break into the 13s at all.
Now, who's going to come back with some retarded remark about how Ford quality sucks, and how I wish I had a CL?
Old 09-26-2002, 10:40 AM
im back

your talking all this shit about timeslips, where's yours? we should have a GT-CL matchup at e-town for us east coasters, i'll be there in no time at all.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:49 AM
Cruisin'

your talking all this shit about timeslips, where's yours? we should have a GT-CL matchup at e-town for us east coasters, i'll be there in no time at all.
Here are your list of mods, just for review:

-----------------------------
2003 6 Speed Anthracite CL Type S AEM CAI, Denso Iridiums, Comptech Axelback, Comptech Springs, ALT 180 18x7.5 nitto 555 235/40/18, Comptech Headers, Powerstop cross drilled rotors, neuspeed strut bar, cleared headlights, custom grill(top and bottom), system, tv's, custom autometer guages, 35% tints, vanity plates..envious?(i put a red sticker question mark at the end) etc etc
Fastest 1/4 time 14.422@99.864mph 77 degrees subs and amp and spare in trunk with half tank on 18's
-----------------------------

And I personally know 2001 GT owners with nothing more than a short-throw shifter and a K&N filter that run the same or better. Stock-for-stock, I don't see a CL ever beating a GT in the quarter. Hell, I'm running only 0.6 seconds slower in a stock GT Vert. You guys are so damn stubborn!
Old 09-26-2002, 10:51 AM
im back

how many of them have 150lbs of shit in their trunk? or are running on heavy 18's?
Old 09-26-2002, 10:56 AM
Cruisin'

This Internet arguing is stupid. Is anyone on this board in Alabama? Just by looking at the numbers, there's no way this race is that close. Our cars are geared to be quicker than the CL, and we have 30% more torque. I don't think that can be argued.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:05 AM
Banned

Due to the post on stangnet.com and here and on our local Texasracingscene.com under sa racing, I have been setup to race a GT 99+ 5spd Stang that is slightly modded. I have beaten slightly modded ones on the freeway, but this one will be interesting. Lets hope my few races with other 99+ stangs were accurate. lol, I will need everything my car can give.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:13 AM
D.K
3rd Gear

how many of them have 150lbs of shit in their trunk? or are running on heavy 18's?
I'll admit, you're running a very decent time given the extra weight, but do you think that if you remove the 150lbs and the 18's the it'll net you half a second? I give you a best of 14.1, but please, by all means, prove me wrong. I don't have anything against CLs, or the owners, but I hate how some people think that variable valve timing cures all.
I run with absolutely no weight reduction...it goes down the track with everything it left the factory with, including the air in the tires.
For all who want to see my time slip, I don't have it scanned, but I'm taking your word as to what your cars have run, so you're just going to have to take mine as well. The only actual time slip I've seen for a CL was from fastvtecCL.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:58 AM
im back

fair enough. But i'm being 100% serious here, i wanna grab some mustangs and grab some cl's and i wanna head to englishtown and do some legal, legit racing. whoever wins, wins. yes i have beaten the 2 mustangs i've raced, older 5.0 and newer gt and yes i wanna race more and am i saying cl's are invincible and vtec is the cure to the common cold, no but i wanna run against them and even if no other cl's come down, i will gladly run against every mustang there. but thats just what i wanna do and i wanna see who's down
Old 09-26-2002, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
hey D.K. stick around a few more 13's are coming your way
Old 09-26-2002, 02:29 PM
im back

ok so what northeasterner's(i think thats right) wanna set up an englishtown day to race a couple of stangs. Infiltr8r check on stangnet.com to see how many people you can get and we'll see how many cl's we can get and put an end to all this crap. A nice showdown 260-V8 vs 260-V6. So once again, who in the northeast area wants to do this, other than me.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:39 PM
Selling Chicken Parts

OK, I'm down...

ok so what northeasterner's(i think thats right) wanna set up an englishtown day to race a couple of stangs. Infiltr8r check on stangnet.com to see how many people you can get and we'll see how many cl's we can get and put an end to all this crap. A nice showdown 260-V8 vs 260-V6. So once again, who in the northeast area wants to do this, other than me.
Sounds like a plan..the last day at the track is November 17th. I just wanna have some fun. I thik mine is about the stockest Mustang that'll be there if any show at all. Just let me know when you wanna do it. Hopefully the guy with the Gen 1 CL (99) with the Zex N2O will be there, I think he'll like this....

I'll get back to you...
Old 09-26-2002, 02:46 PM
Selling Chicken Parts

ok, I posted...I'll be waiting.....
Old 09-26-2002, 02:47 PM
im back

yeah i signed up to post it but ihaven't gotten my confirmation yet. But we'll get some responses, if not then i dunno i'll go down anyway
Old 09-26-2002, 03:01 PM
Selling Chicken Parts

yeah i signed up to post it but ihaven't gotten my confirmation yet. But we'll get some responses, if not then i dunno i'll go down anyway
just lemme know when. my car is in the shop (big surprise) but it should be out by the weekend....
Old 09-26-2002, 03:03 PM
Selling Chicken Parts

By the way...

Did you find the NorthEast Forum on StangNet? That's where I posted the request for a showdown. I think you'll fnd me easy at that point...

Quick Reply: CLS Vs. GT stang