cls only makes right turns!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls only makes right turns!

I dont know what the deal is,
its like the stering wheel is locked, when I try to steer to the left. its been like this for a few days. I eventually get to where I need to go though. just make the block.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Did you check your power steering fluid? Try that first.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Racer

if it was that then it wouldnt be hard to turn.
IT DOSENT TURN AT ALL
I hope I dont have to swerve from a car or dog or somthing, I guess Ill be out Of luck
Old 02-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Cars are an addiction

Do you have the keys? I mean you didnt steal the car did ya?

J/K sounds like a bad power steering pump or maybe problems with your rack.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I would still check it. I remember back in the days with my '89 camry. First it was hard to turn, then eventually it wasnt able to turn at all...... just a suggestion. You want to rule out the obvious first.

Originally posted by BRCLS
if it was that then it wouldnt be hard to turn.
IT DOSENT TURN AT ALL
I hope I dont have to swerve from a car or dog or somthing, I guess Ill be out Of luck
Old 02-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like it might be the rotary valve in your rack. This valve determines where to send the pressure for the two hydraulic lines on the rack.

I suppose the teeth could be messed up on the rack itself, and or the gear on the steering shaft.

Definetly go get it checked, they will probably replace the rack. Did you check the fluid levels? (probably a stupid question)

Really even without the powersteering pump, or hydraulics running you should be able to still turn the wheel. Have you tried cranking the wheel left to right with the engine off? (be aware it will be veyr hard to turn it with the car off!) That would eliminate the shaft/rack gearing... either way you'll probably need a new rack. If the pump itself went you would not have power steering in any direction...
Old 02-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you haven't hit something, causing some kind of suspension damage, you probably want someone to have a look at the steering gearbox.

YMMV
Old 02-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by SiGGy
Sounds like it might be the rotary valve in your rack. This valve determines where to send the pressure for the two hydraulic lines on the rack.

I suppose the teeth could be messed up on the rack itself, and or the gear on the steering shaft.

Definetly go get it checked, they will probably replace the rack. Did you check the fluid levels? (probably a stupid question)

Really even without the powersteering pump, or hydraulics running you should be able to still turn the wheel. Have you tried cranking the wheel left to right with the engine off? (be aware it will be veyr hard to turn it with the car off!) That would eliminate the shaft/rack gearing... either way you'll probably need a new rack. If the pump itself went you would not have power steering in any direction...
Yep, you got it.... Spool valve...

The change in speed could help to isolate the steering assist...
Old 02-26-2004, 06:23 PM
///M POWER

maybe your control arms are bent??
Old 02-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Sweet as Gold

In the older legends and shit it was fairly easy to just remove and either clean or replace the spool valve, but unfortunatly on the newer cars acura doesn't offer this so u would have to remove the rack. If it's under warranty then what r u waiting 4...bring it in. If not...good luck cause it's a fu*kin pain in the ass to remove. Especially if u don't have a lift!!!
Old 02-28-2004, 12:16 AM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Siggy's right, I had the exact same problem in a Ford Fairmont. They replaced the entire rack.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Beware of leakage

Originally posted by SiGGy

^^ what he said...