Clay bar , waste of time???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 10:48 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay bar , waste of time???

or am i doing it wrong??? i went out and got that mothers clay bar with the spray and carnauba wax well i did just like it told me on the directions and i felt no difference whatsoever on my car $20 down the drain...
Old 04-23-2002, 10:56 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple of things. One. Use the Zaino claybar. Many users will attest to its effectiveness no matter how clean the car looks.

Two, you may have the cleanest car on the planet. I doubt it.

Three, you are supposed to dawn the car first to get rid of the wax so the claybar can get to the stuff on the paint. Not that the claybar won't be effective it works better on surfaces without wax.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

I used Zaino's clay bar 2 weeks ago. Threre was a noticable difference for me. I agree with Zapata, you sould wash with Dawn first.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:06 AM
Pro

i did use dawn and i still feltno difference... well it did rip off the paint from my chips which is a good thing cause im usuing langka later this week...
Old 04-23-2002, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

My car was only ONE WEEK old and I washed it three times in a row with DAWN.
After that I was still pulling “stuff” off the car with the ZAINO ClayBar.

Even if you don’t “feel” a difference, the next coat of WAX should adhere to the paint better.

Shawn S
Old 04-23-2002, 11:08 AM
Pro

zaino huh i have about 200 bucks worth of other shit in my closet that i wanted to use up before i buy the zaino shit it seems like i might as well order the zaino and get rid of everything else by the way did yall know they are no longer gonna make lexol??
Old 04-23-2002, 11:09 AM
Honkey

I've noticed a huge difference with my Zaino clay bar. Maybe the Mothers bar just doesn't work well?
Old 04-23-2002, 11:11 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Shawn S
My car was only ONE WEEK old and I washed it three times in a row with DAWN.
After that I was still pulling “stuff” off the car with the ZAINO ClayBar.

Even if you don’t “feel” a difference, the next coat of WAX should adhere to the paint better.

Shawn S
yeah but my car is 4 months old and i felt nuthin i even balled up the clay several times and all it did was slida across
Old 04-23-2002, 11:13 AM
Pro

after seeing shawns red acuras pic i was sold on zaino but i had already bought all that other shit and well whatever ... my loss as i see it and from what people tell me zaino even protects against getting future chips huh? ill do the langka this week wait for it to dry and put zaino on ill buy it today i know the website already...btw how long does shipping take? oh and what do i need z1 z2 z3??? i have no clue??
Old 04-23-2002, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

www.zainobrothers.com

Old 04-23-2002, 11:39 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by Generationz

yeah but my car is 4 months old and i felt nuthin i even balled up the clay several times and all it did was slida across
Maybe your dealer did a good job detailing your car before delivery? Sounds like they may have polished/waxed or clayed it.

There is a Nissan dealer near me with a steel can company behind them. My brother left his car there overnight for service. Felt like sandpaper when it came home. So bad, we HAD to clay it.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Bluto
There is a Nissan dealer near me with a steel can company behind them. My brother left his car there overnight for service. Felt like sandpaper when it came home. So bad, we HAD to clay it.
DAMM ..... I would have been pissed. Claying is a pain in the ass but worth it.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:55 PM
Advanced

Re: Clay bar , waste of time???

or am i doing it wrong??? i went out and got that mothers clay bar with the spray and carnauba wax well i did just like it told me on the directions and i felt no difference whatsoever on my car $20 down the drain...
I also found the Mother's clay bar to be a waste of $$. Hope you have better results with the Zaino clay bar. Let us know so others don't have to waste their money.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:12 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by 6speed

DAMM ..... I would have been pissed. Claying is a pain in the ass but worth it.
After trying 3 different shamois (we thought they were dirty because they were sticking to the paint) we felt the paint with our hands. Had no idea what to do. A friend told us to clay it. Meguiar's worked great. Claying is not too bad with 2 people. But you need to polish and wax also.

With all the industry in the area, I use a clay bar about once a year.

I have not clayed the CL, yet. I used a 3M cleaner wax before polishing and waxing last year with Meguiar's products.

I have a Pinnacle PolyClay Kit, Klasse All In One, Klasse Sealant Glaze, and Sonus Acrylic Spritz . Just waiting for a free weekend to detail the CL.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Wow... I can't believe that you guys are not having any luck with the Mother's Claybar!! I haven't switched to the Zaino or Blackfire stuff yet b/c I have to finish my Mother's stuff, but I've had nothing but good experiences with it. I claybarred the car the weekend after I picked it up and I noticed a HUGE difference (after washing with Dawn of course). Once the weather warms up and the salt is removed from the road I will do it again this year.......
Old 04-23-2002, 02:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

I had the dealer do nothing but wash the car when I picked it up. No detail work at all. The next day I dawned, & clay the hell out of it. I felt a big difference with the Zaino clay bar. I used it on my moms white 85 Honda accord, & it looked almost new. The claybar also takes alot of grime off the car. Just this weekend, & was washing the CL-S & had some tar, or somthing sticky on the bottom door sill. It wouldn't come off with the soap, or rubbing. I clayed it, & in 15 seconds was gone.
I admit though I'm a bit biased toward Zaino just because I have never used anything else.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:51 PM
Retired Post Whore

Zaino is my CL's best friend.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:05 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

Originally posted by Zapata
Couple of things. One. Use the Zaino claybar. Many users will attest to its effectiveness no matter how clean the car looks.

Two, you may have the cleanest car on the planet. I doubt it.

Three, you are supposed to dawn the car first to get rid of the wax so the claybar can get to the stuff on the paint. Not that the claybar won't be effective it works better on surfaces without wax.
It worked for me.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:12 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Re: Clay bar , waste of time???

I've been using various clay bars for many years. They all work. Currently I have the same Mothers' kit as you do. Working great!

My car is brand new but I've already done the whole car with it (used soapy water as the lubricant) and I didn't strip off the old wax prior. I wasn't going to clay a new car but our recent outporing of atmospheric pollen has covered everything in yellow and actually burned onto the paint in the recent hot weather (black car).

While washing it last week I noticed these raised dots, on all the horizontal surfaces, that wouldn't come off except with the clay bar. So I did the whole car. Turned smooth as butter but more pollen has fallen subsequently. I'll have to do it again after the pollen season is over.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:37 PM
Pro

Re: Re: Clay bar , waste of time???

Originally posted by Klamalama

I've been using various clay bars for many years. They all work. Currently I have the same Mothers' kit as you do. Working great!

My car is brand new but I've already done the whole car with it (used soapy water as the lubricant) and I didn't strip off the old wax prior. I wasn't going to clay a new car but our recent outporing of atmospheric pollen has covered everything in yellow and actually burned onto the paint in the recent hot weather (black car).

While washing it last week I noticed these raised dots, on all the horizontal surfaces, that wouldn't come off except with the clay bar. So I did the whole car. Turned smooth as butter but more pollen has fallen subsequently. I'll have to do it again after the pollen season is over.
i mustve done it wrong or sumthin cause all my bar did was pick up paint outta myh chips..
Old 04-23-2002, 04:27 PM
Drifting

You dont have to use the Zaino clay bar to get good results. Ive used the mothers clay and I had excellent results. Claying DOES work.

spiro
Old 04-23-2002, 05:13 PM
Banned

The Clay bar is actually the most effective thing you can use to get the silk smooth feeling on your car....Zaino is optional, but preferred by many here...I just use a polish and then a wax...it may not be as shiny...but then again i don't have to invest 8 hours of my life the first time i apply Zaino...

Did you lube the clay bar constantly?
Old 04-23-2002, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by KCPreki11
www.zainobrothers.com

www.zainobros.com
Old 04-23-2002, 05:56 PM
Racer

This may be a little off of the subject, but I noticed some bug splatter on my headlights today......how does the clay bar action work on the headlight covers??
Old 04-23-2002, 06:54 PM
Got BOOST????

Originally posted by juniorbean
Wow... I can't believe that you guys are not having any luck with the Mother's Claybar!! I haven't switched to the Zaino or Blackfire stuff yet b/c I have to finish my Mother's stuff, but I've had nothing but good experiences with it. I claybarred the car the weekend after I picked it up and I noticed a HUGE difference (after washing with Dawn of course). Once the weather warms up and the salt is removed from the road I will do it again this year.......
I used the mothers clay too and was amazed by the difference. If ur gonna use the mothers clay, don't use the cleaner wax. Buy the can of the pure wax because u just used the clay bar. If u have scraches or swirl marks, then u the swirl remover than the wax. Trust me, Worked mint on my car.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:02 PM
Pro

i guess my car wasnt that dirty i swear i kept goin over mainly the front bumper and it just didnt do anything i had already washed with dawn and it seemed useless oh well ill give it a go again in a month.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:47 PM
Got BOOST????

Maybe your car didn't need it in the first place. Don't do it just to say you did it. Rub ur hand over it and if it doesent feel like glass, then u need to do it
Old 04-23-2002, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Anyone knows if AutoZone sells clay bars?
Old 04-23-2002, 10:13 PM
Got BOOST????

i think so
Old 04-23-2002, 11:59 PM
Banned

hypno999:
Yeah they do.

Ya know guys...this is a good time for me to ask this. Every time I clay my car...I just wonder how it doesn't scratch my car because of all the crap it picks up...and yes I have a 20/80 dawn/water spray bottle I use to keep it lubed...but really...I mean...wouldn't the stuff that was picked up scratch the car every time you went over it? How hard do you guys press on the claybar when you clay it? Really lightly? Or with enough force so that it flattens out? Or in between?

Austin519
Old 04-24-2002, 12:07 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by hypno999
Anyone knows if AutoZone sells clay bars?
Yes they don't have mother's but have Clay Magic and Meguires. Both work fine
Old 04-24-2002, 10:49 AM
Drifting

Thats why it is VERY important to use a lot of lube, and always turn the clay, to get the dirt away from the outside of the clay.

spiro
Originally posted by Austin519
hypno999:
Yeah they do.

Ya know guys...this is a good time for me to ask this. Every time I clay my car...I just wonder how it doesn't scratch my car because of all the crap it picks up...and yes I have a 20/80 dawn/water spray bottle I use to keep it lubed...but really...I mean...wouldn't the stuff that was picked up scratch the car every time you went over it? How hard do you guys press on the claybar when you clay it? Really lightly? Or with enough force so that it flattens out? Or in between?

Austin519