clanking noise from the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
clanking noise from the wheel

well... had my car checked out by the dealer today, good news that I am getting new side window regulator ( due to the problems of window making noises when going down )

But my clanking noise from the suspension ( I guess its related to sway bar end links )... they told me they fixed it, but I just checked and its still the same
Here is what my invoice says:
My problem descrption said "when going around 5-10 miles an hour and going over bumps there is a clanking noise coming from right rear must drive car with window down to hear noise"

Here is the invoice answer:
"417099 R&R Left side rear strut spring and lubricated spring dumper". They told me on the phone that this fixed the problem ( they checked )

Am I missing something? "... Left side rear ..." ?? The problem description clearly says that noise is coming from right rear... unless they have different point of reference...

Anyway, problem is not fixed ... even though I tried to suggest to them that they need to make sure sway bar end links are tight up...

What do you think should I do, am I crazzy or something, or they are not doing what they supposed to?
Old 08-28-2002, 06:34 PM
ALi G in the House!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take it back and bitch
Old 08-28-2002, 09:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by AkuraCLS
take it back and bitch
Yeah.... the only thing that sucks is that you have to do it during the week in business hours... You know I work, otherwise how would I be able to pay my monthly payments for CLS ...
Dealer probably thinks I am crazzy that I am concerned about all those noises... but this car is to expensive for me... so I am trying to have things top notch ...

The mechanic needs to ride with me so I can point out the specific sound
Old 08-28-2002, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by russianDude

The mechanic needs to ride with me so I can point out the specific sound

The voice of wisdom....

When I had my sways put on, they supposedly took the car out for a "serious" test ride... I only needed to drive my car about 20+ feet to notice that racket coming from the bottom of the car. The sway bar links and sway bar brackets didn't get tightened and I didn't get any "help" until the mechanic got in the car and drove an extra 30 feet with me...

Test drives... yeah, right...
Old 08-28-2002, 09:38 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Am I missing something? "... Left side rear ..." ?? The problem description clearly says that noise is coming from right rear... unless they have different point of reference... "

Some dealer personnel do have a different POR. I'm speculating that it's quite a challenge to determine left from right rear when one's head is stuck between the two.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by superk8
"Am I missing something? "... Left side rear ..." ?? The problem description clearly says that noise is coming from right rear... unless they have different point of reference... "

Some dealer personnel do have a different POR. I'm speculating that it's quite a challenge to determine left from right rear when one's head is stuck between the two.
Yes, but I thought there is a conventional POR where everything is relative to the driver in sitting in the driver seat.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EricL

The voice of wisdom....

When I had my sways put on, they supposedly took the car out for a "serious" test ride... I only needed to drive my car about 20+ feet to notice that racket coming from the bottom of the car. The sway bar links and sway bar brackets didn't get tightened and I didn't get any "help" until the mechanic got in the car and drove an extra 30 feet with me...

Test drives... yeah, right...
I am completly stock... but somebody told me that my stock sway end-links could loosen up... do you think this is the case?
Its clearly coming only from one rear wheel only when going over the bump... I checked, its not from trunk cause you can only hear clancking with open windows... you need to drive 5-10+ miles an hour and bump does not have to big... in fact, when road is full of small bumps that rear wheel sounds like bunch of coins(metal clancking) making noises.. it is pretty noticable.

What's funny, they told me that they found a problem, fixed it, and test it and noise was gone. ??
Old 08-29-2002, 12:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by russianDude

I am completly stock... but somebody told me that my stock sway end-links could loosen up... do you think this is the case?
Its clearly coming only from one rear wheel only when going over the bump... I checked, its not from trunk cause you can only hear clancking with open windows... you need to drive 5-10+ miles an hour and bump does not have to big... in fact, when road is full of small bumps that rear wheel sounds like bunch of coins(metal clancking) making noises.. it is pretty noticable.

What's funny, they told me that they found a problem, fixed it, and test it and noise was gone. ??
It's one source for some noise. And some members have had the end links break (I'm not saying it happened to you).

You would think the noise would show up mostly when under differential load (the sway bar working its hardest... however, some people didn't find this to be true).

Don't know -- I would make sure you find a "local" road near the dealership (with low outside noise) where you can demonstrate the noise to the mechanic.

AS for the "problem fixed" and we found it.... Well, don't start me (good stories and way too long horror stories)...