CL-s 6sp Vs. BMW330ci

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002 | 01:11 PM
Intermediate

CL-s 6sp Vs. BMW330ci

I am new to this board and I have a question that maybe someone can help me with. I am wondering whether anyone has driven a CL-S 6speed and a 330ci 5speed that can compare the two for me? I have driven the bimmer, but I could not find a CL-S 6speed to drive.
Thanks
Old 03-21-2002 | 01:14 PM

Try Search Function. You'll find tons of threads.

Welcome to the board.
Old 03-21-2002 | 01:15 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

CLS 6MT FWD
330ci RWD

CLS bigger engine and will out accelerate the 330ci.

CLS is more luxary that sport. However, people can no longer deny potential the CLS has. The seats in the CLS are much better. There is more room available. The cost of ownership on the CLS will be less than the 330ci.

330ci is more sport than luxary.

CLS 6MT is the best bang for the buck. If you want to have some sort of status symbol then go with the bmw. If you want a sleeper that will cost you little to maintain and give you much pleasure then get the CLS.
Old 03-21-2002 | 01:23 PM
Safety Car

If you can afford the 330 go for it because while the class of cars is similar, the driving experience and quality is just up there for the 330.
Old 03-21-2002 | 01:38 PM
The Creator

one of my best friends has a 2002 BMW 325i...

the interior detail/quality of the Bimmer blows the Acura away... it is also much smoother & quieter.

I would describe it as more luxurious then the Acura actually...

The Acura has more features... costs less... and is more unique.

The Acura has a better feeling transmission... BMW's clutch feels like your driving a truck... the pedal travel & resisitance is identical to that of an Isuzu Rodeo.

BMW's engine is smoother and has a more linear feel throughout the power band. Whether thats a good thing or not is in the eye of the beholder.

I love both cars. I want a 330Ci in the new body style (like the 4-door got) if it comes out. But I don't think I would pass up the opportunity to own my CLS either...

Both cars are great... the bimmer has a better feel the acura has more toys.

Our other friend has a '99 CLK430... I had the pleasure of driving it last night... apart from a ton of torque & RWD (a blast in the snow) the thing is a POS. The interior quality is far below that of both BMW & Acura...
Old 03-21-2002 | 01:54 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

I would personally pick the CL, the Bimmer looks good, but I feel like your not getting your moneys worth. imo
Old 03-21-2002 | 01:55 PM
STi

Originally posted by Samer007
I would personally pick the CL, the Bimmer looks good, but I feel like your not getting your moneys worth. imo
I've seen tons of bimmer in my area just like civics....
Old 03-21-2002 | 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 4thGSi
I've seen tons of bimmer in my area just like civics....
I don't know if I'd go THAT far, but buck for buck....you'll get a better deal out of the CLS. The 330Ci is a pretty car though!!!

You just can't go wrong with all the options thrown into the CLS and everything offered as standard is an additional option on the Bimmer.......OUCH!!! That gets expensive fast my friend.
Old 03-21-2002 | 02:03 PM
2002 CLs w/Navi

my g/f has a 2002 330ci, I was driving it last week, it seems less sporty than my 2002 cls. I think it looks better on the outside, but not in the inside, the cls seats are better and it's a lower , sporter feel.
Old 03-21-2002 | 02:10 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

If the 330ci didn't cost 40k it might get closer in the competition to the CLS. But 40k is toooo friggin much for that car. For 45k i would rather go with a s4.
Old 03-21-2002 | 02:14 PM
JOE
Instructor

I would personally pick the CL because I used to own a 328ci and I hated it. I had to constantly take it back to the dealership for problems they didn't know how to fix. I also disagree with the notion that the interior is more luxurious than the CL. I never liked the interior of my Bimmer because I just thought it looked so plain.. Also, I couldn't stand the red dials and lights in the cabin.. Maybe it's just my experience but I won't ever get another 3 series again! I bought the 328ci brand new with all of the options in 2000 and traded it in for my current CLS..

Other than a few squeaks I have to honestly say that I've been damn happy with my car. The only Bimmer I would ever consider buying is the 540 or the M5 anything else is a waste of money.
Old 03-21-2002 | 02:21 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Smitty02CLs
my g/f has a 2002 330ci, I was driving it last week, it seems less sporty than my 2002 cls. I think it looks better on the outside, but not in the inside, the cls seats are better and it's a lower , sporter feel.
I agree. My friend bought a 325i and as I'm looking inside, I'm thinking "It looks so cheap!". I can't argue the 330ci looks great on the outside, but I wouldn't trade my CL.
Old 03-21-2002 | 03:02 PM
Instructor

Month ago when I was looking for new car, I checked BMW, money didn't matter that much I was thinking around $35K+-
Anyway, since EVERYONE, I MEAN EVERYONE in Boston drives a BMW or Audi I got a CLS !!! and I like it much more
Old 03-21-2002 | 03:05 PM

my gf has a 330 and i drive it alot. In my opinion, both cars are great. 330 is much more sportier and handles better than CLS. But then again, with the $10k different, u can comptech the CLS and everything. I never liked the interior of the bmws, they look plain cheap to me. Driving the bimmer is great, but i dunno about owning one. I kinda like the room we have in the CL more. Plus the 3 series are like civics now, everyone has one. I picked the CL over the bmw and dont regret it a bit.
Old 03-21-2002 | 03:20 PM
Racer

I have a friend, and she has an 01' or 02' (I forget) 330 Convertible, $50K+, she has taken back to dealer for quality issues problems already... side windows won't rise that extra 1/2 inch when closed, engine throwing weird codes, hesitation & stuttering problems, ect..
BMW tech did say they they're starting to see some problems w/ the 330 engine since it's so new...Not all the kinks are worked out.

Do your research on the the new 330s, I've heard there are some common problems w/ these already... She's been wanting to get rid of this car since all these problems started, but with this economy, she may lose a chunk of $..... For $50K+, BMW should do better...
Old 03-21-2002 | 03:51 PM
Ace rider

I agree with most people here, I think the 3-series interiors are plain and bland. The only thing I like better is the wood trim in the 330 class, the other 3's just don't do it for me at all. The 5-series on the other hand have much better interiors than our cars, but the 3 is all about performance, not luxury. As you go up in the bimmer classes, the leather gets better and better, so the 3 has the lowest quality leather of the bunch. I definitely like my Acura leather better than the 3, but not the 5.
Old 03-21-2002 | 04:29 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I just drove the 330, 325 and CLS 6MT.

In agreement with many here, the interiors of the BMW are cheap looking. I actually had to ask the salesman if the material was the leather or leatherette!! Nuff said on that.

The stick and the clutch were better on the CL--very smooth and tighter engagement on the clutch. You had to let the clutch waaaaay out on the BMW which made for some jerky starts.

And, the engine on the 330 was almost too smooth--it was very bland and gave no indication that you were approaching redline the way the wail of the CL does. The CL feels much faster as well and the LSD on teh CL is simply awesome.

Plus, when I priced out the 330 it came to 43000 without Nav and that is just rediculous!!!!!

That's why I hate when the car mags all say that the 330 is 5k mroe than the CLS--yes, the sticker for the car with nothing in it--but some some options on it and you are 10k or more above the CLS.
Old 03-21-2002 | 04:51 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally posted by SanDogDewey

I agree. My friend bought a 325i and as I'm looking inside, I'm thinking "It looks so cheap!". I can't argue the 330ci looks great on the outside, but I wouldn't trade my CL.
How can you call this cheap? Hands down the BMW interiors look more luxurious than ours. . . I love my CL, but I'm not blind. . .

Old 03-21-2002 | 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Speed_Racer

How can you call this cheap? Hands down the BMW interiors look more luxurious than ours. . . I love my CL, but I'm not blind. . .

I agree. The CL is a nice car, but its not in the same league as the 3 series. Yea a Cl-S 6 speed might be faster in the straight lines, but a 330i will outhandle and outbrake a CL-S with ease. IMO i always liked RWD better than FWD, even in the snow. Wont the cost of ownership be less for a 330i than a CL-S?? I dont know how well the CL-S hold their value, but Bimmers always do well in this catagory. Also, you get free scheduled maintence with it also.
Old 03-21-2002 | 05:26 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

The 330 looks better, but the 6sp CL-S will own it in any type of race.
Old 03-21-2002 | 05:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
The 330 looks better, but the 6sp CL-S will own it in any type of race.
0-60 or 1/4 mile race....Your Statement is true

Take it to a Race track i.e Gingerman and the CL-S will get smoked by an Auto 330i
Old 03-21-2002 | 05:31 PM
Banned

Isn't it great how BMW can airbrush the crap out of pictures of their cars...trust me, after a month..it no longer looks that untouched.....I agree the seats look nice and the color is awesome, but the CL still has a nicer interior...hands down...they're still using the same center console and dash from the 1980s.
Old 03-21-2002 | 05:38 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally posted by moomaster_99
Isn't it great how BMW can airbrush the crap out of pictures of their cars...trust me, after a month..it no longer looks that untouched.....I agree the seats look nice and the color is awesome, but the CL still has a nicer interior...hands down...they're still using the same center console and dash from the 1980s.
I have to admit. I never owned one. I'm just basing my opinion on what I've seen at car shows and dealer lots.
Old 03-21-2002 | 05:41 PM
Intermediate

330i vs CLs

Any of those new 3 series BMWs have better balance in the handling and ride smoother than the CL.

I like the sport seats in the bimmer better than tha acura. They seem more supportive and have more room than the CL seats. I don't like the small and short bottom cusion on the Cl and the back bolsters are to tight and come up to high.

I bought the CL because hondas are reliable and cost $10K less. I just don't trust BMW reliability. And the BMW is priced to steep.

You can't really get a decent test drive in a BMW either. The salesman has to go with you. You have to baby the car a few miles then go back. Gee; I'm not going to spend $40K on a car they won't let you drive. When I bought the CL they let me drive it alone. I drove it 20 miles and bought it. Some people take the demos home for a few days.
Old 03-21-2002 | 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

I have had my 330i for 13000 miles and it still looks perfect. It all depends on the person taking care of it. Saying the CL interior is nicer is a matter of opinion.
Old 03-21-2002 | 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Maximized

I have had my 330i for 13000 miles and it still looks perfect. It all depends on the person taking care of it. Saying the CL interior is nicer is a matter of opinion.
So many new cars you got there....I'm impressed....and yeah interior is subjective...but the BMW interior still looks 80ish....
Old 03-21-2002 | 05:55 PM
Ace rider

I agree. The CL is a nice car, but its not in the same league as the 3 series. Yea a Cl-S 6 speed might be faster in the straight lines, but a 330i will outhandle and outbrake a CL-S with ease. IMO i always liked RWD better than FWD, even in the snow. Wont the cost of ownership be less for a 330i than a CL-S?? I dont know how well the CL-S hold their value, but Bimmers always do well in this catagory. Also, you get free scheduled maintence with it also.
Gawd, I hate when people say that "one isn't in the same league"....then why are we even discussing this here? If this comparison comes up constantly in message boards and races, and magazines are testing one against the other, and basically everywhere, then they still are not in the same league?

I don't mean to pick on you Maximized, but RWD better in the snow? I've lived in Boston 25 years and I don't think so. Only thing I agree with you on is that the CL-S might not hold it's value on the account of it being so close to the TL, most people will get the four doors given a choice.
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:01 PM
Ace rider

I have to admit. I never owned one. I'm just basing my opinion on what I've seen at car shows and dealer lots.
Like everyone said, it's subjective, go sit in one and decide then...pictures mean nothing, you can't feel the leather!
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

because they are choosing ignorance....

the 330i is a much better car

end of story. They just can't afford it. A BMW is a drivers car. It drives awesome. A CLS is a cheap FWD, cut corners during build, pack in as much to make it marketable...

BMW is a ton nicer... they just don't want to admit it yet...

heh, mabye they never will.

You cant compare a ap car being near luxery to a true luxery car?

What does the CLS have that is is luxerious than a 330i?!? this i have to hear... our cheap leather? the cheezy set heaters only on the drivers side? the nasty climate control? At least compare things.... dont just say the 330i is a POS without saying why.
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Take it to a Race track i.e Gingerman and the CL-S will get smoked by an Auto 330i
umm

people dont buy 330i's to race. they buy them to drive. they get a M3 to race.

we should wait and see what the CLS 6mt runs in the 1/4 before we get all excited about it.
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

So many new cars you got there....I'm impressed....and yeah interior is subjective...but the BMW interior still looks 80ish....
and you prefer our cheap ass plastic chit?

plastic wood, plastic aluminum, cheezy plastic A frame guards, not well moldered door skins which have play, rear seat handles which arent frimly mounted. cheezy leather. cheezy air vents, ineteresting gauge cluster, our cars are not so tight, they are plastic rattle boxes for 2001-2002 dunno about the 03's yet

common...

have you ever been in a mercedes?!? plain looking like a BMW. but looks fricken sweet!

they havent changed much either. And yes the 3series has a new dash. since the redesign of it...
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by SiGGy

umm

people dont buy 330i's to race. they buy them to drive. they get a M3 to race.
You Can say that about a lot of cars, such as a CL-S.

The reason that I like RWD better in the snow is that you can steer the car with the throttle. In a front wheel drive car, if you lose traction on the drive wheels, you lose all steering controls. I have the Sport package with Dunlop SP 8080 E's and I have no trouble surviving Chicago winters. If you know how to drive a RWD car, its just as good as FWD. No offense.. even women car drive high powered RWD car with the advent of Stability Control and TCS.
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You Can say that about a lot of cars, such as a CL-S.

The reason that I like RWD better in the snow is that you can steer the car with the throttle. In a front wheel drive car, if you lose traction on the drive wheels, you lose all steering controls. I have the Sport package with Dunlop SP 8080 E's and I have no trouble surviving Chicago winters. If you know how to drive a RWD car, its just as good as FWD. No offense.. even women car drive high powered RWD car with the advent of Stability Control and TCS.
I love RWD cars... I have owned 6-8 of them so far. This is my 1st FWD car. So I 100% agree, those that don't are either bad drivers, or the just know what they have heard about RWD and have never owned one. I lived in Chicago for 24 years! hell with a few Camaros and a Trans-am
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

I am living up in Stamford CT right now. Every other freaking car on the road here is a BMW 3 series. I swear. They are by far the most common car car on the road here. Yes, Fairfield County is a rich area, but please. I like my car standing out a little.

BTW, I have a friend with a 325 and another with a 330. The interiors are not as nice as ours. It's probably subjective, but no way is a 330 worth 10k more than our car
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SiGGy

and you prefer our cheap ass plastic chit?

plastic wood, plastic aluminum, cheezy plastic A frame guards, not well moldered door skins which have play, rear seat handles which arent frimly mounted. cheezy leather. cheezy air vents, ineteresting gauge cluster, our cars are not so tight, they are plastic rattle boxes for 2001-2002 dunno about the 03's yet

common...

have you ever been in a mercedes?!? plain looking like a BMW. but looks fricken sweet!

they havent changed much either. And yes the 3series has a new dash. since the redesign of it...
Whatever...bitch and complain all you want...like I said it is subjective...the BMW looks cheap to me...okay...and I have sat in many Mercedes...probably more than you have in all of Kansas...so don't act like you're the shiznet....I mean...i said I like the seats and color...and if you hate the CL so much...why did you buy it?
Obviously, you seem like you can afford a better car that doesnt use "cheap" materials....

It's not what you use..it's how it's used....
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Whatever...bitch and complain all you want...like I said it is subjective...the BMW looks cheap to me...okay...and I have sat in many Mercedes...probably more than you have in all of Kansas...so don't act like you're the shiznet....I mean...i said I like the seats and color...and if you hate the CL so much...why did you buy it?
Obviously, you seem like you can afford a better car that doesnt use "cheap" materials....

It's not what you use..it's how it's used....

ummm

I didn't say I wanted a 330i I just said it was nicer... And I didn't want to spend the extra $ when I was purchasing my CLS. but at least im honest. and I'm From Chicago, They have a few mercedes there. And a good friend owns a AMG Sl500. another a SLK, and a bunch of friends own bimmers, my friends 323I is constructed better than our CLS.

and my CLS is going to be gone, for a new M roadtser. So shaddup

but we were comparing cars, NOT WHAT I CAN AFFORD. grow up
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:50 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Name the time and place.......
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:51 PM
Advanced

I test drove the 325ci after a friend said I couldn't compare the BMW to the CLS without driving both autos. I drove the BMW then the CLS automatic. My dealer didn't have the 6speed. I couldn't get over the "driving on rail" feeling from the BMW. The CLS auto left me really flat. I decided not to decide until I could try the 6 speed and two weeks later I did drive the 6. I placed my order the next day for the CLS6.

Performance was a big factor. To even start comparing from that angle, you need to step up to the 330ci, which base price is approx. 5K more than the 325ci. Once you add all the options that are standard on the Acura, that 330 is real close to 40K.

Brand loyalty played a large part in the decision as well. I've had two Accords and an Integra. I have been very happy with all the cars.

The BWM is a really really nice car, but in an effort to compare apples to apples, the BWM is just to darn expensive for this poor working stiff. With a real strong trade value from the Acura dealer, the difference is around 10K. To me, the BMW strenghts are not worth that much dough. Maybe when I rich, but not necessarily famous, I wont care about 10 grand.

The CLS6 test drive left me extremely jazzed about the car and I can not wait to take delivery.
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:52 PM
Ace rider

I have to disagree again, my friend's 323I interior looks like crap.
He's got rattles just like any other car. My friend's 5-series has rattles also. All cars do, no car is perfect. The 5 leather and trim is MUCH better than the 3 and CL-S. But I still think the CL-S interior is better than the 3 overall.

Sorry, it's all subjective again, your entitled to your opinion, as I am mine, I'm cool with that.
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Dacat
I have to disagree again, my friend's 323I interior looks like crap.
He's got rattles just like any other car. My friend's 5-series has rattles also. All cars do, no car is perfect. The 5 leather and trim is MUCH better than the 3 and CL-S. But I still think the CL-S interior is better than the 3 overall.

Sorry, it's all subjective again, your entitled to your opinion, as I am mine, I'm cool with that.
totally

I have never been in a 5 series, or 7... accept the new 7 at the auto show. I bet the 5 series is nice too...

Quick Reply: CL-s 6sp Vs. BMW330ci