Check this site out...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check this site out...

www.donotbuybmw.com I haven't read everything on it, but this guy/gal has some beef with the folks over at Bavaria...

------------------
2001 SAAB 9-3SE HOT

Saabman: Unreasonably biased against voices of reason.

[This message has been edited by saabman4ever (edited 06-20-2001).]
Old 06-20-2001, 03:08 PM
Instructor

You guys really shouldn't complain about quality and price...this is from that site.

"BMW gives you a feature called anti-theft, but having a BMW alarm installed costs around $500 depending on which dealership you are purchasing your BMW from."

"The stereo system in the new BMW's are horrible. When ordering your car, you can choose to have the upgraded stereo system for an additional $1,000. The upgraded stereo is still horrible. You would be better off getting an aftermarket system, but then again you risk having a stereo shop take apart parts of your car. The Mercedes Benz stereo system offered in all their cars is exceptional. It sounds great at both high and low volumes. Acura and Lexus have great stereo systems as well."

Wow. If he thinks Acura has a great system, I would hate to hear the bimmers.

"BMW dealers are also very good at adding a "Markup Price" to a car so that it is at "Market Value". What does this mean? It means that on some of their cars, they add an extra $5,000-$25,000 over the MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price). This mainly happens to the M model Cars. The 2001 M3 is being sold anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000 over MSRP and the 2001 M5 is being sold sometimes for $25,000 over MSRP. Why does BMW allow it's dealers to do this? People wait over a year for their cars to come in, and the dealer turns around and say's "If you want to pickup the car, there is a Markup Price of $15,000". "But sir, the car does not cost that much, the window sticker say's $50,000." 'Yes, but we are selling it for $65,000 and there are 80 people on our list that are interested in purchasing this car." Thats RIDICULOUS. Not all dealers do this, but a LOT of them do. Please check out the list of Approved Dealers on this website to know what dealers are honest, and what dealers are not. I have never seen Lexus, Acura, Audio, or Mercedes Benz ever do something like this."

"When you add up the cost of what you are getting when you purchase a BMW, it comes out to a lot more than expected. BMW might be a great car, but the service and reliability you get from the company as a whole makes me want to look into other manufacturers that offer the same quality, but much better customer service. If you are interested in more detail, please check out the M3 area on this site."

------------------
2001 SAAB 9-3SE HOT

Old 06-20-2001, 04:58 PM
Cruisin'

I am not a lawyer (thank god) but the admin of this site is just waiting to get get sued.

any lawyers out there? your thoughts??
Old 06-20-2001, 05:07 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

I think it depends on whether the allegations can be proven...

------------------
01 CL-S San Marino Red/Black, K&N drop in, no nav, rear wing, otherwise stock thus far, has an appetite for Bavarian cars.
Old 06-20-2001, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
ever heard of a little thing called "free speech?"

------------------
Black_Pride
-2001 CL-"S"pankin New
-BLACK-on-BLACK
-NAVI
-SPOILER
-BACK SEAT WHORE
-SMOKE SCREEN
-OIL SLICK
-REAR FIRING MISSILES
-A "HONK IF YOU THINK I'M JESUS" BUMPER STICKER

"If brains were dangerous, you would be safe!"
www.MrCloseout.net
Old 06-20-2001, 05:09 PM
Banned

This guy obiviously doesn't know what the hell he's shitting.

Stereo system:

Stock = Ok for the moderate listener, not good for people who like a little bit of 'loud'

Upgraded = Kick ass! HK system rocks!

MSRP+$25k on an M5? Who does that? I've never seen that unless the M5 has a turbo or something. Even the hottest cars from other companies have overhead (hell look around).

People who don't know what the hell they are saying piss me off. They THINK they know whats going on when they actually don't. Someone should divert BMW N/A's attention to this website.

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
Surprise @ Forums atwww.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Picture here
Old 06-20-2001, 05:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by M3Sins:
This guy obiviously doesn't know what the hell he's shitting.

Stereo system:

Stock = Ok for the moderate listener, not good for people who like a little bit of 'loud'

Upgraded = Kick ass! HK system rocks!

MSRP+$25k on an M5? Who does that? I've never seen that unless the M5 has a turbo or something. Even the hottest cars from other companies have overhead (hell look around).

People who don't know what the hell they are saying piss me off. They THINK they know whats going on when they actually don't. Someone should divert BMW N/A's attention to this website.

</font>

I saw a 30K markup on a blue M5 in NJ. It is happening. He can't be sued.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
Comptech Springs
CompTech Exhaust
Park Ave Acura CAI
SilverKnight Mesh Grill
Custom BASS by <A HREF="http://www.Streeteffectz.com

01'Acura" TARGET=_blank>www.Streeteffectz.com

01'Acura</A> Integra GSR
No Mods yet but just wait......
Old 06-20-2001, 05:19 PM
Safety Car

If someone missed the point, here is why he is pist off:

http://www.donotbuyabmw.com/pages/m3problems.htm

This link explains his problems with his brand new 2001 M3 and why he is so ticked off. Frankly, I agree with him, but the answer to all these issues is basically, you dont like it, dont buy it.

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...513&a=12224080
Bad ideas catch on quickly
Old 06-20-2001, 05:29 PM
Instructor

How was he to know that he would have all of these problems before he plunked down $60k? These are problems that you would only discover after you drive off with the car and according to him, it's not just his M3 but others as well and 330's too. Also, how could a car company justify NOT putting in a spare tire in with the car? Not even a donut? I think BMW is taking advantage of consumers only because they have a product for which there is alot of demand but no supply (which they probably rigged as well.)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big_Pimp's_Type_S:
If someone missed the point, here is why he is pist off:

http://www.donotbuyabmw.com/pages/m3problems.htm

This link explains his problems with his brand new 2001 M3 and why he is so ticked off. Frankly, I agree with him, but the answer to all these issues is basically, you dont like it, dont buy it.

</font>

------------------
2001 SAAB 9-3SE HOT

Old 06-20-2001, 05:37 PM
Safety Car

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by saabman4ever:
How was he to know that he would have all of these problems before he plunked down $60k? These are problems that you would only discover after you drive off with the car and according to him, it's not just his M3 but others as well and 330's too. Also, how could a car company justify NOT putting in a spare tire in with the car? Not even a donut? I think BMW is taking advantage of consumers only because they have a product for which there is alot of demand but no supply (which they probably rigged as well.)

</font>
Thats fine, but he knew about the spare tire not available before he bought it and he should've taken a longer test drive in his new M3 to hear how it handles or whatever before he drives off the lot. I agree that certain things like floor mats and spare tire should be included, but not shocked that they are not.

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...513&a=12224080
Bad ideas catch on quickly
Old 06-20-2001, 05:41 PM
Instructor

True. I'll give you that one.

Thats fine, but he knew about the spare tire not available before he bought it and he should've taken a longer test drive in his new M3 to hear how it handles or whatever before he drives off the lot. I agree that certain things like floor mats and spare tire should be included, but not shocked that they are not.

</font>

------------------
2001 SAAB 9-3SE HOT

Old 06-20-2001, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

I just got my 01 M3 a week or two ago and I have had no problems. I don't have the HK upgrade, I didn't like the BMW radio so I went aftermarket. No idle problems or transmission problems. I only have 32 miles on it.

------------------
Blk/Blk CL-S
Blk/Blk M3
Old 06-20-2001, 06:13 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I'LL proudly stick to my RICE burners, Honda and Acura's !
THANK YOU !

------------------
"We're spoiled rotten"
Waiting for 6 speed manual CLS !
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, Comptech Sway Bars,Kyocera Smartphone/Palm powered otherwise pure stock/PIF (Paid In Full)
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock/PIF (Paid In Full)!
Old 06-20-2001, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by saabman4ever:
It sounds great at both high and low volumes. Acura and Lexus have great stereo systems as well."

I have never seen Lexus, Acura, Audio, or Mercedes Benz ever do something like this."

</font>
The BMW HK system is significantly better than the Bose in the Acura.

But what I find really funny about the authors statments stem around the over pricing. I recall that the S2000 was being sold for $5k - $10k over MSRP when released. Many Lexus dealers are currently over-charging for the SC430. He obviously didn't do much research...
Old 06-20-2001, 06:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I have never had an issue with the "oversticker" concept....

its simple, you charge what the market will pay.....S2k's were $5-$10k over when they first came out, I can get one for MSRP all day long at this point.

An M5 and Z8 (if you search) can be had for MSRP...the M3 is a little tricky right now, give it a year.

If you weren't smart to get on a list to get an in demand car, or the car simply demands MSRP+ whatever- don't buy it if you don't want to pay......just wait it out.

I sure as hell would not pay $5k-$10k over for an instant gratification M3.....but I don't think its wrong, it will be an MSRP car before you know it.

Beltfed
01 CL-S
00 Viper GTS
Old 06-20-2001, 06:30 PM
Banned

Reason for no tire in the trunk is because the E46 M3 has the quad exhaust in the center of the rear diffuser. That does not give it enough room for a spare, or a donut.

This guy is just a plain idiot who doens't know his facts.

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
Surprise @ Forums atwww.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Picture here
Old 06-20-2001, 06:38 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

I'd agree that BMW is rigging their market by not producing as many cars as they *could*. Hey, it's just like the oil companies here in the US. There's more than just "crude oil prices are higher" to be said about our high gas prices - they are playing with their inventories to control the price here in the US. I can't imagine how much money these companies have made in the past few years off of us.

I guess the better question is...what the hell are they doing with it? They should be producing more factories, etc. (Well, probably a diff't topic).

Oh, and this BMW can't be sued.

Rob M.
Long Island, NY

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S. Satin silver, non-nav, #848
1997 Ford Probe (POST)
Old 06-20-2001, 06:39 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

Make that...

this BMW site owner can't be sued.

-Rob M.
Old 06-20-2001, 06:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Correct, BMW and Audi in particular are very guilty of this (posted this in a previous topic)- they are great marketers, "lets send in limited amounts of product," where the demand always or usually outstrips the supply.

Even in this ho-hum economy, my local dealer is fairly large and only has like 4 X5's in stock, 2-3 3series convertibles.....this is always how it is, most dealers have rows of most models-Acura, Lexus (excluding SC430), Jag (excluding SC models), Benz (excluding CL,CLK,AMG models).

Beltfed
01 CL-S
00 Viper GTS
Old 06-20-2001, 06:55 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Beltfed:
I have never had an issue with the "oversticker" concept....

its simple, you charge what the market will pay.....S2k's were $5-$10k over when they first came out, I can get one for MSRP all day long at this point.

An M5 and Z8 (if you search) can be had for MSRP...the M3 is a little tricky right now, give it a year.

If you weren't smart to get on a list to get an in demand car, or the car simply demands MSRP+ whatever- don't buy it if you don't want to pay......just wait it out.

I sure as hell would not pay $5k-$10k over for an instant gratification M3.....but I don't think its wrong, it will be an MSRP car before you know it.

Beltfed
01 CL-S
00 Viper GTS
</font>
Exactly, as long as people are willing to pay these premiums, why not charge them? It sucks (for people that aren't rich, like myself), but that's business, supply-and-demand, or whatever you want to call it. I'd say it's common sense. This is why the prices drop after about a year, when people are no longer willing to pay a premium since they won't have the exclusivity that the first owners had by having one of the few cars of this specific type on the road. This pretty much is the reason for the premium, exclusivity. I wouldn't pay a premium for this, but obviously many people are more than willing to pay it, so why wouldn't companies take advantage of this?
Old 06-20-2001, 07:58 PM
Cruisin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Black_Pride:
ever heard of a little thing called "free speech?"

</font>
I was thinking more along the line Trademark infringment, the BMW logo.

The bottom line is, research the shit out of a major purchase before you buy. Especially 60K

[This message has been edited by dgb007 (edited 06-20-2001).]
Old 06-20-2001, 08:06 PM
Cruisin'

BMW South had a red Z8 on display a couple of week ago. I saw it from US-1 and pulled in. Got to talk to a saleshole and asked him what the car was going for he said and I quote " the car lists for around 130K, we are asking 170K, but you are welcome to negotiate. I said buddy, that more than I paid for my house, he didn't laugh. Anyway, I guess it's supply and demand. For the money, I would get a Porche GT2.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:23 PM
Banned

You don't get a test drive...you either want it or you don't...and that is the attitude of BMW salespeople....I bet they weren't this way about 10-12 years ago...

</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
My Peoples
Old 06-20-2001, 09:47 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moomaster_99:
You don't get a test drive...you either want it or you don't...and that is the attitude of BMW salespeople....I bet they weren't this way about 10-12 years ago... </font>
Actually, that was the attitude of the Honda salespeople when I tried to buy an S2000. I made it clear that I was willing to wait with a deposit down for simply an S2000 w/o all the tacky dealer "aero" add-on's and "black chrome" badges, but they wouldn't even take my money, since they planned to stick that crap on every one that came in, because it sold anyways. Even with both my parents present ready to co-sign (if my credit was lacking in any way), they didn't give a shit about me as a buyer.

I was so incredibly pissed I thought "fuck Honda dealers," and started looking at Cobras and Cobra R's (until I realized that the Cobra R was $50K + markup).

Love the cars, hate the dealers with a bloodcurdling vengeance.

(That was in July/August 2000 in the Los Angeles market.)

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH
Potenza S-02 Pole Position

The Reasonable Voice of Bias
Old 06-21-2001, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to figure that someone has to be pretty pissed-off to start a web site.

Most of these companies just don't believe it when they run into someone who got a lemon or two, and they think their threats of opening up a web page is a bunch of BS.

I can comment first hand, that sales managers loath the though of their products being lambasted on a web page.

Free speech --> a great thing.

Now, I wonder if that person will entertain an "Acura Dealer's Hall of Shame."

There is nothing like a little light to send the cockroaches scurrying!

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 planned