Center Console Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center Console Rattle

Searched, but didn't find anything which seemed to match what I am experiencing...

I've been getting a "rattle" coming from the center console which I think is being caused by the brushed silver trim rubbing the darker plastic of the base of the console, near where your right knee would be. I put "rattle" in quotes because it's not your typical rattle - the best way to describe it is that is sounds very much like the sound a Geiger counter makes...like a rapid staticky ticking sound. It occurs hot or cold, and can sometimes be temporarily (i.e. 3 minutes) remedied by applying pressure to the silver/plastic contact points, or by banging on the opposite (passenger) side of the center console.

My questions:
1) Anyone else getting this same sound? It's incredibly annoying.
2) Remedies that I haven't thought of? The more permanent the better. I'm thinking of pulling off the silver trim and running some electricians tape between the joint, replacing the trim and then cleaning up whatever's visible.
3) Any idea how to take the silver trim off the side of the console?? Didn't see any clear way to rmove it without breaking it.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:51 AM
White as night.

Hmm.. I'm sure I've read your exact problem before. I'll try searching for you.

AFAIK, the person took apart their trim and center console and found the culprit.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:04 PM
9th Gear

I had that same problem. It's coming from the part that the shifter goes through (don't know the name). It's a small plactic part that hooks onto the larger one. Mine was a bit loose so i took it apart and used electrical rubber tape as a washer to snug it up. It's been quiet for over a month now.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:28 PM
9th Gear

I had that same problem. It's coming from the part that the shifter goes through (don't know the name), not the silver trim. It's a small plactic part that hooks onto the larger one. Mine was a bit loose so i took it apart and used electrical rubber tape as a washer to snug it up. It's been quiet for over a month now.
The sliver trim is easy to remove. Remove the shift knob by turning it anti-clockwise...it can be hard at first. Next, pop out the black trim from around the silver one...it's snapped in. Then you'll see the clips for the silver trim, i used a tweaking screwdriver to unhook them.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:50 PM
dont be mad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CLINTH
YOU CAN REMEDY YOUR RATTLE BY REMOVING YOUR CONSOLE TRIM AND APPLY FELT TAPE (EPT TAPE) WE CALL IT AT ACURA AND REINSTALLING THIS WILL ACT AS A BUFFER FROM THE 2 PARTS RUBBING/CONTCTING EACH OTHER
why are you yelling at us?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeStylinOnU
why are you yelling at us?
BECAUSE!!! Acuras are really nice! lol
Old 06-04-2008, 06:17 PM
dont be mad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ljmushock
BECAUSE!!! Acuras are really nice! lol

roflcopter!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by orrin_b
I had that same problem. It's coming from the part that the shifter goes through (don't know the name), not the silver trim. It's a small plactic part that hooks onto the larger one. Mine was a bit loose so i took it apart and used electrical rubber tape as a washer to snug it up. It's been quiet for over a month now.
The sliver trim is easy to remove. Remove the shift knob by turning it anti-clockwise...it can be hard at first. Next, pop out the black trim from around the silver one...it's snapped in. Then you'll see the clips for the silver trim, i used a tweaking screwdriver to unhook them.
Thanks - I'll check this first. So, to take it apart, turn off the knob, then pop the boot off to get at the silver "shift gate"? I have a 6 spd if it matters.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CLINTH
YOU CAN REMEDY YOUR RATTLE BY REMOVING YOUR CONSOLE TRIM AND APPLY FELT TAPE (EPT TAPE) WE CALL IT AT ACURA AND REINSTALLING THIS WILL ACT AS A BUFFER FROM THE 2 PARTS RUBBING/CONTCTING EACH OTHER
All I'd really need to know is how to get that silver trim off. Looks like it snaps on, but knowing me I am guaranteed to break some clips getting it off and then I am screwed. I'm happy to improvise anything that'll sit between those that contact point to eliminate the rubbing sound!

Is there a release clip anywhere to get the trim started coming off? Are there recesses I need to skip a thin flathead screwdriver into??

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by DelawareCLS
Thanks - I'll check this first. So, to take it apart, turn off the knob, then pop the boot off to get at the silver "shift gate"? I have a 6 spd if it matters.

mine is auto and i'm not familiar with the 6 speed. sorry.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
All I'd really need to know is how to get that silver trim off. Looks like it snaps on, but knowing me I am guaranteed to break some clips getting it off and then I am screwed. I'm happy to improvise anything that'll sit between those that contact point to eliminate the rubbing sound!

Is there a release clip anywhere to get the trim started coming off? Are there recesses I need to skip a thin flathead screwdriver into??

Thanks.
Open the center console and lift up and back on the trim (starting from the end under the console lid)
Old 06-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
If your talking the silver piece that the boot attaches to, push down on the boot where it attaches to the shift knob, unscrew the knob. Then from the front (towards 136) lift up on the silver trim there and slide forward to release the rear.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Received 1,005 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by FINDLAYACURA
YOU CAN REMEDY YOUR RATTLE BY REMOVING YOUR CONSOLE TRIM AND APPLY FELT TAPE (EPT TAPE) WE CALL IT AT ACURA AND REINSTALLING THIS WILL ACT AS A BUFFER FROM THE 2 PARTS RUBBING/CONTCTING EACH OTHER IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE OR WANT TO ORDER THIS TAPE LET ME KNOW.
CHOWELL@FINDLAYAUTO.COM

CLINT HOWELL
PARTS MANAGER FINDLAY ACURA
702-982-4160
CLINT HOWELL
Old 06-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
If your talking the silver piece that the boot attaches to, push down on the boot where it attaches to the shift knob, unscrew the knob. Then from the front (towards 136) lift up on the silver trim there and slide forward to release the rear.
Sounds like that's the one - thanks. I'm betting it's the trim along the side of the console that's causing my problem, though