Cars as status symbols?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cars as status symbols?

I'm here to discuss the disturbing trend in the automotive world. The purchasing of cars simply based on how much they cost. My main target on this is rich yuppie Auto buyers, that get a MB SL500 because it costs close to 100,000 well equipped.....or girls that buy M3s and don't give a damn about the horsepower. Rich rappers that buy Ferraris and Lamboghinis, pure-breads who will never see their proving grounds, the race track, just Beverly Hills streets and night club parking lots....

Is anyone else sickened by this trend? Also, people who buy Escalades simply because they are roughly 60 grand out the door. Do they not realize they are just buying a glorified Tahoe? I leave my self open for ciritcism here, since the CL is simply a glorified Accord, and could be called a hypocrite.

Another gripe......sports cars that are made in automatics. Things like the 300ZXT, Supra TT, and RX-7 should not have the option for a slushbox, IMO. Cars like these are designed to be raced, not driven in traffic. You shouldn't buy a 40,000 sports car to drive back and forth to your job.

Sorry about ranting, I just find the fact that the price of a car can sometimes mean more to someone than the actual car itself a little....disturbing.

Any comments/concerns/opinions?
Old 08-08-2003, 10:22 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
I don't think anyone buys something because it's expensive. They buy what they can afford, if you could afford going out and spending 100K on a car what would you buy? Something they would. You spend what you can and get what you can for it. I've been around a TON of rich snobby people in my life and i've never met anyone who buys something because it's expensive. They buy it because they like it and can afford it.

Also, about the escalade thing, a x type jag is a taurous basically. So what, the Escalade is alot nicer then a tahoe, and tahoes aren't cheap either. Exactly like you said, you are a hypocrite. The CL isn't anything different in the situation when referred to the accord. You get nicer options, better luxury, power, and it looks better. And you can afford it, otherwise you would of gotten an accord.

Also the automatic thing, I hear what you are saying. But everyone has there choices, there is NOTHING wrong w/ driving an automatic. Everyones preference is different. Some physically can't do it, some just don't want to. My dad ended up getting an auto vette and I was really disapointed, but after spending alot of time in it I do miss shifting gears but the auto is just so nice. (if it was my choice it'd be different)

and when you get to looking at high HIGH horsepower cars, autos are the way to go. Look at alot of the fast supras out there? Alot are auto's, same w/ all the drag cars and big old muscle cars.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:24 PM
Under the radar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The latest gen CL is not a glorified Accord.

Status symbol cars are not new. Ferraris and Lambos are often placed in climate controlled garages and left for show. I remember one guy who had a Ferrari in his living room. If you think a car looks good and you have the bucks... The H2s, Escalades and that Mercedes SUV box are ridiculous but I have given up giving a damn about it. We are all basically selfish bastards anyway.

Automatics are not just for luxury cruisers and non-sports cars. I believe the Ferrari paddle shifters, the double-clutch auto in the new Audi TT and BMW's SMG are more than capable performers.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:26 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

I completely agree that when purchasing vehicles people as a whole are extremely short sided. It seems like some yuppies buy nice cars just to boost their fragile egos. I am happy that the vast majority of people that frequent this board don't have the dickhead mentaility of most BMW drivers that think they are better than you because they purchased a more expensive vehicle.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:31 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally posted by CLSter
I remember one guy who had a Ferrari in his living room.
I think I grew up w/ the kid you are talking about. I played little league w/ a kid whose dad had an f-40 that stayed in the house. The car didn't get many miles but it definately wasn't a status symbol to the guy, it was more a work of art. I know a few people who have large car collections in warehouses that don't see driving. But these guys in no way buy them as a status symbol. They are all die hard car enthusiasts who like to own a part of history, and a true work of art. I've also noticed from my experience (not all of them because there are some snobs out there) the owners of alot of exotic and rare cars don't talk about it, they are very quiet about it and don't like to mention it.

I know a guy w/ a porsche 996 TT and literally has about 300K into the car, it is one sick beast, but he also has a vast collection w/ an original cobra, a bunch of old ferrari's and he has one of those new 1m$ bugatti's on order. But his daily driver is a bone stock mercury sable.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:32 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by CLSter
The latest gen CL is not a glorified Accord.
not any less then an escalade is a glorified tahoe.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:12 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

well everything expensive can be a status symbol... cars just happen to be one you can roll around with...

this trend has been here a long time. status gives many car companies their name. a benz has a status all on its own... same goes with the M3... it's bling bling on an automotive level and it's been going on since the beginning of time... people like flash and bang... it's normal..
Old 08-09-2003, 07:56 AM
A-CL Fanatic

Question..... whats wrong with driving a 40k sports car to work? I mean if I had a beater car, to drive to work and school I would, but mearly b/c of the parking lots I have to park in. Otherwise I love my car, and I'd love any 40k sports car I got, and would make it my daily driver, b/c... well.... I LOVE driving!
Old 08-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

to each their own.
personally, i only buy what i can afford. sure i'd love to rock a cartier on my wrist, and i could buy it if i wanted to, but it wouldn't be proportionate to what i have.

i bought my CLS at 18 but my whole check didnt go to the car either. it was even payed off in 36 months instead of the 60 months it was financed for.

i do agree with you tho when u say that some people just buy cars cuz their expensive, but those are the people with either TOO much money or those who work only for their cars.

and who cares if people drive sports cars with slushboxes?! yeah, sometimes i wish i had a 6-speed, but sometimes i just wanna relax and just mash the gas and brake. no biggie. i mean, some of those new exotics have clutch-less gearboxes as well...
Old 08-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
should millionaires and rappers all drive civics? doesnt bother me...if you were rich why wouldnt you buy an expensive car? should you just drive a civic because you aren't a car enthusiast?
Old 08-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

I think you are a little bitter that you can't afford them. If I had the money, i would be driving an SL 500. I would have to have a mansion first though.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
That's why I wanna own a (used) Porsche
Old 08-09-2003, 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

SO WHAT???
Old 08-09-2003, 06:58 PM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

Originally posted by ghander
I don't think anyone buys something because it's expensive.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:10 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by CL P Diddy

well there are some out there. But as i've said i've hung around rich and snobby people my whole life and i've never met anyone that's like. I want that because it's expensive. They usually get it because they like it and can afford it.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:38 PM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

You ever talked to somebody that tells you how much everything they own cost? I have. It is completely annoying. The bad thing about it is, it's mostly people who live at or above their means; rich, middle class or otherwise.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by CL P Diddy
You ever talked to somebody that tells you how much everything they own cost? I have. It is completely annoying. The bad thing about it is, it's mostly people who live at or above their means; rich, middle class or otherwise.
The above statements are very true, it generally stems from an individuals insecurity complex (in one form of another).
Old 08-10-2003, 01:41 PM
CLos type Solis

Hey man I don't think people here got caught on to what you were saying.......Some of the people that responded to you tok offense to your opinions. That's what you get on these formums. Some of these people probably don't even have Acura CL's. I thought this was a CL forum, instead we're talking about F_cking tahoes and Italina Garbage cars...................
Old 05-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Racer

No one buys a car for the sole reason of it being 'expensive'. No one's gonna go buy a car that costs a million bucks if they don't like it. People buy what they LIKE. And if they have the money to do so, their likes are expensive.
Yes, some people buy cars and use them as 'status symbols', but i can't imagine why anyone would buy a car for that alone. If you have the money to buy a lambo or a ferrari or something, and you like it, then of course you would buy it. I've never heard of anyone buying a car and using it strictly for showing off to others.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:08 PM
3-piece FTW

This post is only 4 years old, IDIOT!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Racer

haha lol i didn't see that. it's that damned 'related posts' thing at the bottom of other posts, lol.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
As long as there is money in the world, there will always be over-indulgent douche-bags who have long lost touch with reality.

I've always gotten a kick outta rockin the Honda products for that very reason.

Hello Mr. M3.
Hammers down on his S2000.
5000rpm
6000rpm
7000rpm
8000rpm
9000rpm
SHIFT!
SHIFT!

Goodbye Mr M3!
Sorry you're broken down Mr. M3 - my Honda that gets the beJesus beaten out of it on a regular basis just never seems to die.

I paid 17k for my S2K 3 years ago (used obviously). Just as nice a car as the new - but I couldn't bring myself to spend 38k on it.

I just bought an 03 CL S 6 for $15k with 48k on it. Just as nice a car as it was in the showroom - but why take the hit on it? It's as nice as anything on the road - but it's practical, dependable - and zippy enough to be fun for spirited driving. It's comfy enough for my lengthy daily commute, without being an anemic civic or an Accord like EVERYONE else uses to commute.

Priorities I guess? Honestly, if I were making 250 a year or something, I wouldn't bat an eyelash at rocking something a bit exotic - but it would be respected, and see the track on a regular basis.... I spend wayyyy too much on cars as it is - but they're well cared for, driven hard when appropriate (auto-x, dragstrip, backroad late night bonanza!!!!)

The guys that kill me are the ones dropping 48k on rides and still rockin a cot in the ol' man's basement.....
Old 05-24-2007, 06:02 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
stop responding to this thread.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts