Car vs. House - Seller's perception of the buyer

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 02:18 AM
hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car vs. House - Seller's perception of the buyer

I just bought my second house in January of this house. It's a rather large house, 4,127 sq. ft. to be exact, and as you can imagine cost a considerable amount of money. When my wife and I started looking at houses last year, I made it a point to dress as usual in my comfortable, weekend attire. Most of the time that meant a T-shirt, jeans and Vans. Sometimes I even looked like I just arrived from the X-Games. In the entire time we spent going from builder to builder, NOT ONCE did I ever get the impression that a builder thought we were out of our league and couldn't afford a home. In fact, most builders would make it a point to start their pitch with their most expensive model shying completely away from the smaller offerings. The "attitude" only came from other buyers twice our age who had to settle for the smaller homes.

On the other hand, I get treated like absolute shit at my local BMW and Lexus dealers. No one will even speak to me, much less ask if I need help. What I cannot understand is how auto dealers haven't caught up to the rest of the world in understanding that younger, affluent buyers are going to be looking to buy a high-end car. Is it the way I dress? Weekends are for ME and there's no way I'm going to "dress-up" for some fucking schmuck salesman at the Bimmer dealer in order to convince him that I can afford a car. At 31, I'm not that young and have a considerable amount a grey hair, but refuse to tuck in my shirt on Saturday. Is this holding me back? What these dumbfucks fail to realize is that I can afford an LS430 or 7 Series, I just don't look like the jackjaw, ballcapper, jock asswipe that frequents their showrooms.

I can't imagine how some of you really young ones out there bought your cars with these dealer attitudes. When I was 19, my first brand-new car was a POS, $12K Ford Ranger! Buying from a Ford dealer is a child's play compared to my experience with the luxury marques. I do have to say that Acura has treated me very well from the first time I ever took a test drive, but I was only spending $32k.

What are your experiences, especially you members that fit my profile.

------------------
a study in pimp daddy gold
Old 03-11-2001, 02:55 AM
Banned

I can completely agree and understand where you are coming from. I had the same experience buying my last 2 cars. The crew at MB didn't even come to me in the showroom, Lexus's first attempt was to show me a used ES300... I can understand that buying a GS300 for cash at the age of 22 may not be the common every day occurence. But, considering the Computer/I.T. job market and just common courtesy to ANY potential client it is a poor business practice. I ended up buying the GS in 96 and promptly telling the dealer/salesmen to go fuck themselves after trying to gouge me on the price once they realized I was there with the intent to buy and that financing would not be necessary. Nonetheless, I have had many sour experiences walking into showrooms because of age, and ironically when I bought my house I had absolutely no problems getting apointments to look at homes that ranged from 175K-400K... I think that Acura was the most curteous and consumer oriented dealer I have ever been to..which combined with the performance and value of the car was a Sale the day I first drove it.....

Chris

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance CAI, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, 1/4 Mile in 14.424@97.23 MPH Atco Raceway Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes
Old 03-11-2001, 02:58 AM
Banned

BTW: I have a feeling this is going to get moved to Ramblings LOL

Chris

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance CAI, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, 1/4 Mile in 14.424@97.23 MPH Atco Raceway Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes
Old 03-11-2001, 05:10 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I hear you dude ! I went to a bmw dealership, dressed in my low life clothes...why not ? I live in California ! Well they ignored me and I thought....what a bunch of dumb fucks ! I made $223K last year and you waste cases can go fuck a garage as for as I care !

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 03-11-2001, 05:36 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xephyr2K:
BTW: I have a feeling this is going to get moved to Ramblings LOL

Chris

</font>
I sure as hell am not going to move it. This is a great topic and I experience it every day.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Apexi V-AFC
AEM CAI
Old 03-11-2001, 07:44 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

My golden rule of purchasing: Upon entering the store/shop/showroom, if nobody greets me or acknowledges my presence within the first minute, I walk out and make a mental note never to do business with them.
Old 03-11-2001, 10:44 AM
Racer

Hehehe This is a good topic..

When I was shopping for my new car, I went to Honda and Nissan. Both dealers went out of my way to help me. But, when I saw the Type-S, No one took me seriously. So what did I do? I don't get mad, I get even.. Hehehe

When I was looking at the type-s, No one wanted to approach me. So I started to open/close the doors a bit louder, Put my fingerprints all over the glass, and made sure to test the horn.(but the damm batt. was unplugged) So someone came to me and asked me to leave. It sure was funny, because a day later, I walked right back into the showroom WITH MY DAD, and that same jackass that asked me to leave wanted my business SO BAD! hahaha I simply looked at my dad, and told him that this jackass asked me to leave when I was looking at the car.

So we simply did business with someone else.

Haha
Fucking Morons. I think I am gonna go check out a BMW just for kicks.... See if they even Acknowledge me..
Old 03-11-2001, 11:50 AM
Instructor

This reminds me what happened to my mom several years ago when she bought her last MB. She went into the dealership dressed in like a schmuck (K-Mart house dress and plastic shoes no make-uo ect). One of the salesmen came up to her and asked what she wanted. She told him that she wanted to buy a new 600SEC, that was on the sales floor. He proceeded to tell her that she could not afford that car let alone any car on the lot demaned that she leave the dealer and stop wasting "his" time. Well she asked to see the sales manager and told him what had happened. Needless to say she came home with the car, and the salesmen was looking for another job that day.

------------------

Beat the Bruins
Old 03-11-2001, 11:53 AM
WPS
Intermediate

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jayru:
Hehehe This is a good topic..

When I was shopping for my new car, I went to Honda and Nissan. Both dealers went out of my way to help me. But, when I saw the Type-S, No one took me seriously. So what did I do? I don't get mad, I get even.. Hehehe

When I was looking at the type-s, No one wanted to approach me. So I started to open/close the doors a bit louder, Put my fingerprints all over the glass, and made sure to test the horn.(but the damm batt. was unplugged) So someone came to me and asked me to leave. It sure was funny, because a day later, I walked right back into the showroom WITH MY DAD, and that same jackass that asked me to leave wanted my business SO BAD! hahaha I simply looked at my dad, and told him that this jackass asked me to leave when I was looking at the car.

So we simply did business with someone else.

Haha
Fucking Morons. I think I am gonna go check out a BMW just for kicks.... See if they even Acknowledge me..
</font>
bwwhahah..i love these stories

------------------

[This message has been edited by WPS (edited 03-11-2001).]
Old 03-11-2001, 12:06 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 631 Likes on 280 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Satin Slayer:
My golden rule of purchasing: Upon entering the store/shop/showroom, if nobody greets me or acknowledges my presence within the first minute, I walk out and make a mental note never to do business with them.</font>

I am the same way, I hate it, just cuz I'm young and don't dress formally DOES not mean that I can't afford anything I want...

I'm lucky in that my mom is my real estate agent and my sister used to work at the Acura dealership so I knew my saleman b4hand...

I was looking at an x5 or an ML55 before I bought my porsche and I couldn't get any attention from anyone, even after going to the receptionist at BMW and asking for a salesman, I still hadn't seen on 10 minutes later..I walked out and I will NEVER go back...

it's so IRRITATING, and I agree...people need to wake up and realize that youth have the money and power these days...period.

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, goodridge braided brake lines, full kicker system
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks
Old 03-11-2001, 01:51 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me throw another side of those stories.

First, I have been few times in a local BMW dealer. I am a Hi Tech Engineer and I make 3x times the average income in State of NH. However, I dress like as If I work in Construction Business. Jeans, etc.... relaxed to the max and no way an indicator of how much I can afford.

Those at BMW dealers, never took you seriously unless you call and take an appointment before hand, dress like Super Star, and show up in a 30ft limo?

For God Sake do those salesmen make more money than we do? no way! Or do they think they are selling jewelers? so why this attitude?!

The reason IMO is that are a "speciality" manufacturer. I never saw BMW providing mass market cars like FORD. What is the lowest MSRP for a BMW, $25k+? This is why they expect you to show the interest. BMW should learn the lesson from IBM. IBM had the same attitude in late 1980s. At one time, IBM was losing EIGHT Billion dollars a year!!! So history will teach BMW and the like a lesson or two that the buyer has the freedom to spend his money the way he likes.

The other side of the issue. I hate dealer that do not negotiate on the price and think they should charge MSRP or have a "higher markup" because of the "exclusivity" of the product (i.e. the car). Car are not like Diamond. Cars are meant to be driving and enjoyed. They depreciate and decay faster than my grey hair. I would never buy any overvalued car.

Very very few cars are really like diamonds, Buggati, Limbo, and Rolls are those who are can afford $50,000,000 jet for their commute between NY and London. Those cars are seldom driven on the roads and never in the winter of New England.

I will never care to visit and see one of those dealers. Maybe better to see those cars in a Classic Car Museum instead.

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S.
- Acura NAV.
- 3M clear bra (full front bumper, and side mirros)
- Wheels locks.
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards,
- Winter mats,
- Trunk liner,
- Acura Spoiler.
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator.
- PIAA 19169 road lamps.

[This message has been edited by Nashua_Night_Hawk (edited 03-11-2001).]
Old 03-11-2001, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by droideka:
I just bought my second house in January of this house. It's a rather large house, 4,127 sq. ft. to be exact, and as you can imagine cost a considerable amount of money. When my wife and I started looking at houses last year, I made it a point to dress as usual in my comfortable, weekend attire. Most of the time that meant a T-shirt, jeans and Vans. Sometimes I even looked like I just arrived from the X-Games. In the entire time we spent going from builder to builder, NOT ONCE did I ever get the impression that a builder thought we were out of our league and couldn't afford a home. In fact, most builders would make it a point to start their pitch with their most expensive model shying completely away from the smaller offerings. The "attitude" only came from other buyers twice our age who had to settle for the smaller homes.

On the other hand, I get treated like absolute shit at my local BMW and Lexus dealers. No one will even speak to me, much less ask if I need help. What I cannot understand is how auto dealers haven't caught up to the rest of the world in understanding that younger, affluent buyers are going to be looking to buy a high-end car. Is it the way I dress? Weekends are for ME and there's no way I'm going to "dress-up" for some fucking schmuck salesman at the Bimmer dealer in order to convince him that I can afford a car. At 31, I'm not that young and have a considerable amount a grey hair, but refuse to tuck in my shirt on Saturday. Is this holding me back? What these dumbfucks fail to realize is that I can afford an LS430 or 7 Series, I just don't look like the jackjaw, ballcapper, jock asswipe that frequents their showrooms.

I can't imagine how some of you really young ones out there bought your cars with these dealer attitudes. When I was 19, my first brand-new car was a POS, $12K Ford Ranger! Buying from a Ford dealer is a child's play compared to my experience with the luxury marques. I do have to say that Acura has treated me very well from the first time I ever took a test drive, but I was only spending $32k.

What are your experiences, especially you members that fit my profile.

</font>
Good going; now where do I send my resume?? 45 years old, electrical engineer, 20 years defense equipment.

Old 03-11-2001, 02:04 PM
Race Director

I never have this problem. I dont know why, i never dress up either.

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
Black Wood Dash Kit
Currently on TL rims with Nokian Winter Tires
My Bitch
Old 03-11-2001, 03:40 PM
Race Director

When you get to be my age (36), you start to realize that this is just the way America is (esp. in the car buying arena) and that's the way it will always be, at least in our lifetime. Is is right, is it acceptable? Of course not.

Instead of looking for a challenge, you deal with them as they come, otherwise you spend your life dealing with a lot of grief and anger over the misdeeds and rudeness of others. You know it's there, you know it going to happen [again], you've seen it before, you'll see it again and again, it's so common. I try to spend my time (and life) avoiding it and steering clear of those situations. When I enter a business that I know is going to mis-treat me and I don't feel like going elsewhere, I put them on the spot by approaching them in a calm, businesslike manner, and encouraging them to "do the right thing." I ask for extra assistance and when I talk to the people in charge, I remind them that they would be messing with the wrong person if they decided to act "out of the ordinary". In other words, I try not to let the situation evolve into a hostile situation.

My 2 cents.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 03-11-2001, 04:11 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I realize I will probably get flamed for this but allow me to give you the point of view of someone who not only repairs cars but has also sold them.The thing to remember here is that even though your appearance should be irrelevant when you buy a car it is in this day and age not irrelevant.A salesperson has only a limited number of opportunities in a day to make money and that means selling a car.So what that means is that a salesperson has to maximize the use of his time.Now granted there are a number of people out there who make big money and insist on going out in clothes that make the opposite statement and I have no problem with that.But understand if you look like a pauper do not be surprised if you get treated like one when you walk into a business where the baubles are priced from 30 thousand and up.I see many of you are college educated people that make considerably more money than I do yet the language in this forum would lead me to believe that quite the opposite is true.Consider the number of times crudities are used in this forum.Is this the language of educated people that wish to be treated in a fashion befitting their status?If I go to buy a car I expect to be treated with deference and respect so I go and act the accordingly.I try to dress in a reasonable fashion and keep the locker room language out of it.I ask for help when I am ready for it or if it has not been offered.If a person looking like a slob walks into your place of business what do you think?Is this someone you really want to talk to for the next hour only to discover that the person really has no money or credit and hasn't got a snowballs chance in a hot place of buying yor product?Sure there is the oddball who looks like a pig but has the credit and cash to back up the desire but be realistic look at it from the other person's point of view.remember a sales person talks to all kinds of people all day,and they quickly learn to identify the buyers from the tirekickers.Like I said I am sure to get flamed for this and I know full well that there dealers out there that for lack of a better word "suck" but remember there is another side to this.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 03-11-2001, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amirsafdari:

</font>
no offense dude its prolly cause youre indian..they one dont want to look prejudice and two think that indians are all filthy rich...

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around

-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 03-11-2001, 04:23 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
hehe... heres my esperiences:

BMW: Typical snooty salesmen... I have literally been laughed at by the receptionists when trying to get assistance from someone at BMW. I feel the same way about Jaguar & Range Rover since their dealerships happen to be combined with BMW at both the local dealers.

Lexus: These have to be worst out of all my esperiences... the Lexus dealer is just ridiculously sickening. I seriously had my eye set and focused clearly on a GS before both my TL & in between my CL & TL. But the Lexus dealer never fails to turn me off... their absolute scum... ALL of them. They wouldnt even appraise my TL for a trade-in.

Audi: These guys were just useless... completely unprofessional and inexperienced. I have no interest in ever purchasing an Audi due to my experiences at 3 different dealerships.

Infiniti: Well... Nissan dealerships suck. I cant believe we actually bought Amy's Pathfinder from one. HOWEVER, Infiniti has an awesome dealership experience... they are very very nice... and they are completely willing to toss you the keys and allow you to head out on a test drive on your own. Its too bad Infiniti's suck... cuz their dealerships are very pleasent.

Mercedes-Benz: Mercedes has very 'typical' salesmen in the way they pitch their products... but for the most part... they are pleasent and dont seem to Judge by appearence. I WOULD SURELY buy a Mercedes based simply on the experiences Ive had in the past at their dealerships. (Not to mention they have drop dead gorgeous service departments)

Acura: Well... our Acura dealership is right across from our shitty Lexus dealership. So I think the bad attitudes might be something in the Air.

When we first went to Acura to buy the TL... we were approached by a salesmen who is an absolute cock fuck! I've never been so insulted by a salesperson in my life... he basically said straight up that we couldnt afford the car.

So we walked out.

The TL however was my first love... so we went back the following day... and refused to speak to the same salesmen. Thats when we met Mark Verdile... a wonderful guy... extremely helpful. So we went ahead and purchased the TL from him THAT NIGHT! Keep in mind... his desk is right next to the salesmen who insulted us... and he got to overhear the whole purchase. When we drove out of there in the car... you should have seen the look on the assholes face! he was sooo pissed!

So we had a great buying experience with the TL... and I kept in touch with Mark for the 9,000 miles I had my TL.

My first oil change with the TL... I learned how shittys Acura's service department was. Its about on par with a Chevy dealership... my Parchment interior on my TL was stained with oil... and it stunk like B.O.

I complained... and have had relatively decent service appointments since.

Shortly after buying my TL... I crashed it.

So we were back in the market...

I shopped around at all of the above... but being disgusted by everyone except mercedes... I decided to go back to Acura to take a look at the new CL-S.

Before I got there... I figured I'd hate it... I had seen pictures... and I thought it was butt ugly.

But when I walked into the dealership... there was a shiny black CL-S that just made me drooool!

I still wasnt sure... I thought it was too much like my TL... and I didnt want another TL... since that car bored the fuck outta me.

So I talked to nice ol Mark Verdile... and he sold me on the CL. He said "trust me... you will love the CL-S... it feels completely different from your TL" so I said... OK... let me drive her.

He went outside... and pulled a shiny San Marino Red CL-S up to the door. That was my first sighting of the Red color... I absolutely loved it! Anyway, he walked in... and tossed us the keys... told us to come back later!

So, Amy and I went and gave her a work out.

I was in love... it felt nothing like my TL... it felt like a completely different car... better in all respects. It fit me like a glove.

But as I pulled over... I knew it hadnt yet passed the test.

Amy had HATED... I mean absolutely despised my 2000 TL. She refused to drive it... she hated just about everything about it.

So I figured shed feel the same about the CL.

But... she got behind the wheel... put her in gear... and got a big ass grin on her face. And I knew then that this was an absolutely PERFECT car.

So we went back to the dealership... and met up with Mark.

He had already gotten all the papers together... and said to me "you loved it didnt ya" (or something ot that effect) and we went ahead and filled out the paper work.

AGAIN... in front of the original asshole that told me I couldnt afford the TL.

Few days later... the truck came with my brand new Red/Black CL-S w/Nav...

Anyway... too make a long story from getting longer.

Our salesmen at Acura has a customer for life... hes a wonderful guy... and from the day I bought my TL... I will measure every other salesmen up against him.

The thing I LOVE about Acura...

I feel soooooo comfortable walking into the Ac dealer... it is like home. I walk into other dealerships... and I get all nervous and feel like a worthless 16yr old kid again peekin in dealerships drooling over cars...

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 03-11-2001, 04:25 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jens Heydel:
I realize I will probably get flamed for this but allow me to give you the point of view of someone who not only repairs cars but has also sold them.The thing to remember here is that even though your appearance should be irrelevant when you buy a car it is in this day and age not irrelevant.A salesperson has only a limited number of opportunities in a day to make money and that means selling a car.So what that means is that a salesperson has to maximize the use of his time.Now granted there are a number of people out there who make big money and insist on going out in clothes that make the opposite statement and I have no problem with that.But understand if you look like a pauper do not be surprised if you get treated like one when you walk into a business where the baubles are priced from 30 thousand and up.I see many of you are college educated people that make considerably more money than I do yet the language in this forum would lead me to believe that quite the opposite is true.Consider the number of times crudities are used in this forum.Is this the language of educated people that wish to be treated in a fashion befitting their status?If I go to buy a car I expect to be treated with deference and respect so I go and act the accordingly.I try to dress in a reasonable fashion and keep the locker room language out of it.I ask for help when I am ready for it or if it has not been offered.If a person looking like a slob walks into your place of business what do you think?Is this someone you really want to talk to for the next hour only to discover that the person really has no money or credit and hasn't got a snowballs chance in a hot place of buying yor product?Sure there is the oddball who looks like a pig but has the credit and cash to back up the desire but be realistic look at it from the other person's point of view.remember a sales person talks to all kinds of people all day,and they quickly learn to identify the buyers from the tirekickers.Like I said I am sure to get flamed for this and I know full well that there dealers out there that for lack of a better word "suck" but remember there is another side to this.Jens
</font>
I agree that you should look/speak/act the part when making a large purpose...

But I wouldnt go juding how people act in the forum with how they act when buying a car.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 03-11-2001, 05:00 PM
retired

Soopa don't misunderstand here I am not judging any of you and in fact I have had the pleasure of meeting and doing business with quite of few of the members of this forum and others like it.It is just somewhat of a dissapointment to read foul language.I know that foul language is as commonplace today as anything else but I think you might agree we could try to do without it even if it is just every once in a while.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 03-11-2001, 05:12 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Jens,

let me clear up some of the shit here.

We are professioanls in "real life", and none of the fuck this shit that will appear in our "real life" meetings. Internet is a channel where people get bit relaxed in what they type... Ever noticed, people here do not use their real name?

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S.
- Acura NAV.
- 3M clear bra (full front bumper, and side mirros)
- Wheels locks.
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards,
- Winter mats,
- Trunk liner,
- Acura Spoiler.
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator.
- PIAA 19169 road lamps.
Old 03-11-2001, 06:11 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
Jens,

let me clear up some of the shit here.

We are professioanls in "real life", and none of the fuck this shit that will appear in our "real life" meetings. Internet is a channel where people get bit relaxed in what they type... Ever noticed, people here do not use their real name?
</font>
I don't believe that for one second. The language that you use here is the same language that you use in a similar causal setting in real life.

Nobody with over ~100 posts is a different person in real life, personality-wise.

Ok, that's just my opinion.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 03-11-2001, 06:15 PM
Banned

Ever noticed, people here do not use their real name?

</font>
Hey,!

I use my real name ! LOL

Christopher Koncur
Xephyr Performance, LLC.

------------------
Old 03-11-2001, 06:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Jens -

I understand what you're saying, but it still doesn't make it "right" to ignore someone if they are dressed poorly. I'll give you that if you have two customers walk up at the same time then I'd choose the better dressed one as well. But I think a lot of these experiences are from people who walk into a dealership and there are clearly several free sales people standing around BS'ing with each other. They take one look, stick their nose in the air and don't even bother approaching the person. That's what is wrong here.

Now allow me to make a point that will probably get flamed! I think this behavior probably has something to do with the fact that the sales people themselves **usually** don't really make that much money. We're not talking about the cream of the crop when it comes to breeding here!! I'm not saying all car sales people are slime, but a good deal of them are just young punks who were lured into a crappy job thinking they're gonna make a ton of $$$!! Only the experienced sales people at the high end dealers sometimes bring in the big bucks. And even that's pretty rare. On the other hand, people who sell homes do pretty well. They on average make a helluva lot more money than car salesmen and are generally required to be a lot more professional. Any ol schmuck can get a job selling cars, but to get a job selling homes it takes a little more effort.

Old 03-11-2001, 06:18 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by typeR:
Originally posted by amirsafdari:

</font>
no offense dude its prolly cause youre indian..they one dont want to look prejudice and two think that indians are all filthy rich...

WHAT?
i am indian??? since when??

I was born in France, raised in Spain, moved to Canada 10 years ago... both my parents are Persian, and everyone says i look italian. there is nothing wrong with indian, but i am not.

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
Black Wood Dash Kit
My Bitch
Old 03-11-2001, 06:31 PM
Race Director

Ever noticed, people here do not use their real name?

</font>
MOST people here..

Best Regards,
Amir Safdari

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
Black Wood Dash Kit
My Bitch
Old 03-11-2001, 07:54 PM
retired

I agree it is not right to be ignored based solely on appearance alone but it is unfortuanately a commonplace event.I guess it is "the nature of the beast".Now as far as real names go,I use my real name here and try to avoid the use of language not befitting a conversation with people I largely do not know.I guess that is what is called respect something of a rarity it seems.If I talk to my friends that I have known for years and use language like that is in my opinion ok as these people know me and also know that I do not mean any harm by it.On the other hand most of you are people I have not met before so I feel I should show you the respect of not using gutter language.Just my ten cents,Jens

------------------
Old 03-11-2001, 08:05 PM
Team Owner

I fully agree with everything Jens said.

If I read “advice” from someone who goes F-this and F-that, I usually get a bad impression of whoever is doing the typing.

I guess I’m classified as a stuffy old FART at 33.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 03-12-2001, 04:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

You have to remember the mind set and logic behind what you purchase.

When you buy a house, you have goals... such as value, appreciation, comfort, quality, school districts and what not.

People who 'usually' (not all) buy BMW's only care about one thing. Status. The best type of saleman is the kind who can relate or pretend to relate to the customer. If your most frequent and easist sales are all upperclass "snobs", well... to make money you better learn to relate.

Either that or they get the customer who is not a "snob" into a mind set where they have to prove something. Psychologically, putting the customer down... so they respond trying to show they're not inferior. "I'll show that asshole dealer... I'll buy it right now" (even though they were just looking). That usually means, purchasing the vehicle at msrp or higher (haggling is what those poor people do... right?). In whichcase, the salesman just did his job exceptionally well.

It's not right... just how it usually goes...
Old 03-12-2001, 07:35 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 631 Likes on 280 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
I fully agree with everything Jens said.

If I read “advice” from someone who goes F-this and F-that, I usually get a bad impression of whoever is doing the typing.

I guess I’m classified as a stuffy old FART at 33.

Shawn S

</font>
I do too, I use language like that sometimes when typing with people who are very close to me...not to strangers though...

Astroboy out...

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, goodridge braided brake lines, full kicker system
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks
Old 03-12-2001, 08:50 PM
Learn to swim

Great topic!!!! The car salesman attitude is how I found the CL-S.
Lexus was terrible. It was a Sunday so I was in shorts and t-shirt. Went to drive the IS. Stood there for about 20 minutes and nothing. The whole time any Asians (nothing against Asians) that walked on the lot were helped immediatly. I was treated like some 16 yr old working at McDonalds.
Infinity.. pretty much the same thing. Went on and on for almost a week. Came time to buy the car, they wanted to finance the car for the two weeks it was going to take for my check to clear. After going back and forth I finally heard the sales manager yell from the back "I don't car how much f*&%ing money he has". I just left.
Went to the Acura Dealership to look at a Blazer for the g/f. While she was looking at that I noticed a CL-S in the corner. Acura was very nice through the whole process.
Now they just need to work in the Service Depts.

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Tan
Comptech Springs, V1
Old 03-19-2001, 04:30 AM
Instructor

As an interesting counterpoint, my experience with car dealers has changed of late. 2 years ago, when I leased my Audi A4, I got the treatment I'd come to expect. I went in dressed in a nice shirt and jeans and was mostly ignored. After I agressively asked for help, I got it, but the experience was nothing to brag about.

This weekend, I went and looked at a CL-S (which I intend to buy next week) at the Acura dealer in Santa Monica. I went with my fiance and her son. It was an altogether different experience. My guess is that because we drove up in a nice, clean relatively new convertible (eclipse spyder gs-t that we're trading in), and had a kid, they assumed we were serious. After about a minute a nice (but not too knowledgeable) saleman asked us if we needed help. We test drove the car (it was his first drive in one) and really liked it.

The true test will be when I go back this week and negotiate a lease with them. Hopefully, the kid will be whiney and they'll want to get us out and not make the haggling too difficult.