which car should I buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 12:38 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which car should I buy

Ive been search for a 2001 CL type S everywhere .. I found one at the dealer . Its black on black and has navigation with enkei 17" rims. The only thing is the right side both outer part of the rims are scractched up and theres little scratches ont he right side of the car you cant really tell. When I test drove it, it started going to the right slowly when I let go of the steering wheel. They said they will fix the alignment and buff out the whole car. It has 40,900 miles and price is 19,900 i brought it down 2 g's.
Should I buy it I need to answer them by Saturday? No warranty on it though. There were 2 other silver type S non navi. but clean inside and out with 41,000 mile and 42,000 both around 22,000 dollars and at a acura dealer with warranty.. which one should I buy? PLease your opinions are much appreciated thank you.

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/...=&car_year=2001

pic of car on link.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:15 AM
I love my G sedan

I would say the scratches on the rims and body are just some cosmetic problems, no big deals. However, you have to ask them to fix the alignment and let you test drive again to make sure the pull-to-the-side problem doesn't exist anymore. Probably they ask you to do some paper work before they fix the problem, then you need them to put down on the contract that if the problem still exists after they said they fix it, you are not buying the car. Because that's the mechanical problem, indicates that may be the car has been in a serious accident and something in the suspension or even the chassis is bent, if so, forget about this car. If the problem is solved, take it since it has navi and it is a few grands cheaper than the two silver ones. These are just my opinions.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:34 AM
Safety Car

hey LiLMaN,

ya, that is a common problem with the stock wheels.
Just ask anyone who has had the stock rims through "the wash"

hang out around here long enough and you'll be looking to upgrade rims anyway!

paint scratches... we all have them, hopefully some polish and wax will help in that area.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its not a bad deal. But no warranty sound fishy. With all the transmisson problems, I don't think you want a CL w/o warranty.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:52 AM
Pro

what is weird is acura has a 4 year 50 K warranty , so how does he tell you it has no warranty . Kind of makes me wonder if the car had a major accident or not a clean title. I would have this one checked out very well.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:21 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally posted by SilverCL225hp
I would say the scratches on the rims and body are just some cosmetic problems, no big deals. However, you have to ask them to fix the alignment and let you test drive again to make sure the pull-to-the-side problem doesn't exist anymore. Probably they ask you to do some paper work before they fix the problem, then you need them to put down on the contract that if the problem still exists after they said they fix it, you are not buying the car. Because that's the mechanical problem, indicates that may be the car has been in a serious accident and something in the suspension or even the chassis is bent, if so, forget about this car. If the problem is solved, take it since it has navi and it is a few grands cheaper than the two silver ones. These are just my opinions.
I agree with Silver's comments, I would also subject the sale to a body inspection by a body shop...for peace of mind that is.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Thanks Everyone

I like to thank everyone for their opinion it really helped especially silvers comment. Yea the car is 19,900 dollars and they would fix alignment plus I told them i want a warranty on the alignment and pay less for warranty.. but last night I found a new used CL at a acura dealer and you know dealers do the whole inspections plus warranty. Im just worried about the tranny which I heard on this site about 2001's. Thanks again to everyone for opinion and helping out.

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...&car_year=2001

Here is the link to the other one I found last night.. I think I can ngotiate to lower it to 23,000 or lower.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

i live near DB, which dealership is it??
Old 01-30-2003, 12:11 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by topdaytrader
Its not a bad deal. But no warranty sound fishy. With all the transmisson problems, I don't think you want a CL w/o warranty.
Umm.... didn't you know about the Acura tranny warranty?
Old 01-30-2003, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Warranty

Yea i know the cl's got the extended warranty but the car is from a Nissan dealer not an acura so they dont offer the acura's extended warranty. The rims arent stock either there enkei 17's which when i buy the car I will sell to anyone interested click on the link to see the rims (I will sell it dirt cheap if i buy the car). Mr. big the dealer is at cerritos autosquare.. oh yea, your car is hell of nice man. But yea $19.700 for 41,000 miles isnt bad i guess. Im going to purchase warranty also but I dont know about Nissan.. How much does it cost to usually fix a tranny problem from a mechanic? Sorry new to Cl's but any other honda car integ, civic, hatches etc I know. and can help anyone with those cars.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Warranty

Originally posted by LiLMaN
Yea i know the cl's got the extended warranty but the car is from a Nissan dealer not an acura so they dont offer the acura's extended warranty. The rims arent stock either there enkei 17's which when i buy the car I will sell to anyone interested click on the link to see the rims (I will sell it dirt cheap if i buy the car). Mr. big the dealer is at cerritos autosquare.. oh yea, your car is hell of nice man. But yea $19.700 for 41,000 miles isnt bad i guess. Im going to purchase warranty also but I dont know about Nissan.. How much does it cost to usually fix a tranny problem from a mechanic? Sorry new to Cl's but any other honda car integ, civic, hatches etc I know. and can help anyone with those cars.
The warranty on the car should be transferable. The original warranty on the car is 4-year 50,000 new vehicle limited warranty. The ACURA Automatic Transmission Warranty Extension covers 3.2TL & 3.2 CL Owners this is all 2000-2002 TL models & 2001-2002 CL models as well as some 2003 TL & CL models. It covers the Automatic Transmission & torque converter for 7 years or 100,000 miles what ever comes first.
I would check this but I think its transferable from the original date of sale.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Thats what I thought

But since its at a nissan dealer the sales guy said there not allowed to get the old owners info out or let me contact him. Im gonna ask the sales person to maybe call the original owner and see but yea I know what you mean everyone was telling me that so I'll look into it.. Thanks for your comment you brought up a good point.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Thats what I thought

Originally posted by LiLMaN
But since its at a nissan dealer the sales guy said there not allowed to get the old owners info out or let me contact him. Im gonna ask the sales person to maybe call the original owner and see but yea I know what you mean everyone was telling me that so I'll look into it.. Thanks for your comment you brought up a good point.
Not sure but if its still has the original warranty & then ACURA extended the Tranny warranty they each should be still good. It seems to me that Nissan Dealership should be abale to contact ACURA for this info. They are now the owners of the car. So what I am saying is if you buy it you should still have use of the original limited warranty from ACURA for about 8,000 miles or 2yrs. Then on the Transmission warranty you would still be covered another 5years or almost 60,000 miles.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:07 PM
Jumping Ship

The Acura warranty will still be valid. It was for my car. I bought it at a BMW dealership. Took it to an Acura dealership for a problem with the IAC valve. My car was still under warranty so they didnt charge me.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Man,.. I wish you lived in Texas. I would sell you my CL. I only have 31500 miles on it. Check out the mods in the sig. All Im asking is 22000 for mine.
If you buy a car from a acura dealer and it has less than 50000 miles ask them about certification. With cert you will get the remainder of the factory warr and a additional 12 months 12000 miles. You will also get the 7yr 100000 mile pwr train.

Peace!
Old 01-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Advanced

The Acura warranty is still honored even though you get it from another dealer. I was able to get one for my friend however for $21,000 with 26k on the odometer. Shop around alittle and give the salesguy some competitive lower prices. If not come on down i'll hook you up.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Hook up?

How can you hook me up your in florida or some other state haha. thx though.. Yea I will ask the dealer for the warranty info and make them get it for me.. Thanks again everyone for your help I'll keep you guys posted if I buy it.. Again Im selling the rims on the car if any one wants.. for DIRT CHeaP.
Thanks
Old 01-30-2003, 09:27 PM
FEMALE

???? all cars are supposed to veer to the right slightly when you let go of the steering wheel - in case of the driver falling asleep, it will prevent the car from veering into oncoming traffic.

why does a 2 yr old car with 40,000 miles on it have no warranty.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:30 PM
FEMALE

oh ya and regarding questions on the transmission warranty, i bought my car USED from a PRIVATE owner. you don't need any info, all i did was email the acura website and give them my vin# and my name/address, and they sent me the extended warranty and put me in the acura computer as the new owner...

no matter what/where you buy it from, the warranty will be valid
Old 01-31-2003, 02:30 AM
Instructor

Thanks Hot Rum

Yea I just came from the dealership right now.. its about 12:30Am so tiring. I bought the car.. and got a really good deal plus the finance guy was korean so he cutt so much on pricing. But I would like to thank everyone for helping me out and hot rum your comment helped alot I will check the site. Oh yea the car I bought has enkei rims on them.. if anyone wants to buy it dirt cheap Im selling. pictures are on the first page by topic.

thanks again to everyone
Old 01-31-2003, 06:49 AM
Pro

congrats on the car, you will love it .
Can you email me a link of the pic , I may be interested. thholr@charter.net