Car got trashed by hail

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 07:52 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car got trashed by hail

Got dang! Middle of the day today the skies just open up with golfball to baseball sized hail coming in at a steep angle.

Long story short, the passenger side of my car looks like someone took a bat to it, hood roof and trunk all have damage, chrome around passenger window has damage, and one big ping on the front driver's quarter panel requiring repair as well.

Totally F___ed Up!

Well, on the bright side, there was a big ding on my passenger's side that I wanted to get fixed anyways so I guess that will be taken care of. Hopefully I can get my passengers wheels buffed out in the process as well. If that all occurs than the 500$ deductible will be well spent (I guess).

Sigh.

Thank goodness for BEER
Old 05-02-2002, 07:53 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank goodness for garages

sorry it happened to you tho
Old 05-02-2002, 07:53 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
SORRY DUDE.......Insurance will cover it
Old 05-02-2002, 07:57 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

So what's the call on this one?

How do they repair hundreds of dings?

Does this entail new panels, new paint?

I just can't imagine how pieces of scrap-metal looking panels can be fixed to original specs.

Luckily I do know the owner of one of the most reputable autobody shops around.

Thanks for the words of kindness. I could barely walk outside to look.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by TypeSDragoon
Thank goodness for garages

sorry it happened to you tho

I was at work, and people were looking out the windows at it.

BAD storming down here in VA...

Thank God my car was in the garage at work! I would've freaked out if it was outside!
Old 05-02-2002, 10:14 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

Yeah.. the hail will kill your Car.

One day in school, it started to hail really bad, this guy I knew with a New Z28 ran out of class, went to the parking lot and laid on top of his car until the hail stopped....

back then I thought it was funny shit, now I would probably do the Same
Old 05-02-2002, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry to hear that JZ. Good luck w/the repairs.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:46 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

Re: Car got trashed by hail

Originally posted by JZ
If that all occurs than the 500$ deductible will be well spent (I guess).

Sigh.

Thank goodness for BEER
That why you make your deductible $250 there. I think it is only couple of day extra for that.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:03 PM
hater

Awww shit. That's horrible, man. Sorry that happened.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:59 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your car!

I'm up here in Gaithersburg, and luckily, we didn't get the hail.

I saw a number of cars that were damaged today (Thursday), while cruising through Potomac/Bethesda/Rockville.

Good luck with the repairs. I hope you get her back soon!
Old 05-03-2002, 01:06 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
JZ, i feel your pain, I work in rockville/north potomac and got pelted with the same hail that pelted yours, tons of dings all over the car, I called insurance and it looks like they will take care of it, hopefully with a repaint. What is the name of the body shop that you are refering to? I dont want a cheapo job, I want it to look like new again.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:26 AM
Drifting

Sorry to hear about that man. Anyway we can get some pics? Just wanna see what kinda of damage hail will do.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:18 AM
on bin laden

my previous car got thrashed by hail, that's how i got the acura ... of course ... so did the roof of the house ... $30,000 later ... 20 mexicans from texas ... and 5 days later ... all new cedar shake ... smelled NICE!!!

ps. no offense to anyone, the guys that worked on my roof were in fact mexicans from texas, the started at 6am, and worked till 6pm. they got paid in cash at the end of everday !
Old 05-03-2002, 02:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

JZ that sucks to hear man. my parents live in Rockville near the intersection on 28 and Georgia Ave. my dad said they got the same kinda hail and they of course left the car outside. sounds like they were more fortunate than you tho.

i hope it all gets fixed soon. i'd think that they will put new body panels on the car and then repaint them...... there a just too many dents to beat out........ i could be worng tho.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:32 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Aegean--

There are two bodyshops around here that are top notch. One in Gaithersburg by the airpark called Shannon autobody and one on Gude Drive that my friend owns called Zamora's. Zamora's does all sorts of work on exotics etc. and they have done great work for me in the past. If you do go there ask for Andy and tell him Jon Zmuda sent you.

I'm leaving for San Fran. first thing tomorrow morning so I probably won't even talk to an actual adjuster until next Thrusday (maybe I'll call them today just in case).

I might spend a couple bucks of my own money to see if I can black out the chrome around the windows.

If I do need a repaint, should I go for a different color?
Old 05-03-2002, 06:55 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by JZ
Aegean--

There are two bodyshops around here that are top notch. One in Gaithersburg by the airpark called Shannon autobody and one on Gude Drive that my friend owns called Zamora's. Zamora's does all sorts of work on exotics etc. and they have done great work for me in the past. If you do go there ask for Andy and tell him Jon Zmuda sent you.

I'm leaving for San Fran. first thing tomorrow morning so I probably won't even talk to an actual adjuster until next Thrusday (maybe I'll call them today just in case).

I might spend a couple bucks of my own money to see if I can black out the chrome around the windows.

If I do need a repaint, should I go for a different color?
JZ, go there today if you can. They will probably have a waiting list due to the hail damage in the area. At least get your name down. The same things happens after snow/ice. The bodyshops have a ton of business (and a long wait).

I keep my cover in the trunk for what it is worth. I guess it would help stop some hail damage.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:23 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by Dom418
Yeah.. the hail will kill your Car.

One day in school, it started to hail really bad, this guy I knew with a New Z28 ran out of class, went to the parking lot and laid on top of his car until the hail stopped....

back then I thought it was funny shit, now I would probably do the Same
if that's true, that is one of the funniest things i've ever imagined!!
Old 05-03-2002, 07:28 AM
('''\_(o_0)_/''')

Sorry to hear about your car. Even if you don't have a garage, car-ports work wonders.

The owner of that Z28 must have been hurting with baseball sized hail falling on his body.

Someone asked about it, and it's likely they would replace the panels..not repair them...if they're damaged heavily enough, that is.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:24 AM
Racer

I called my insurance agent last night, and they are gonna send an adjuster out to look at my car soon, hopefully they will repaint it, there are just too many small dings to repair. I was thinking about goin with a more electron blue look if they do repaint, maybe the bmw avus blue. What do you guys think?
Old 05-03-2002, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Perhaps a car cover may have helped in this situation. 2 car covers, there probably wouldn't be any damage.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:31 AM
Racer

Yea, I am buying a car cover now, at least it would have minimized the damage
Old 05-03-2002, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Make sure you get the thicker material car cover, Noah or Evolution 4. About 200.00 for our car.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Old timer

Sorry to hear about your cars, JZ and Mark. JZ you know you need to get Aegean Blue if they repaint.

Mark, I would just get it repainted the proper color so that everything is still cool with the dealer, like touchup paint, and what about the undamaged panels the insurance company might refuse to repaint.

But I guess if you want to stand out, get a lighter shade.

Oh and JZ:
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=68383

I gave our buddy the part #s so he got everything in except the harnesses (because the parts guy forgot to order them ). I'll probably get mine done end of next week. Your lights and bulbs are in though. Have a great trip to SF, what a great city.

You car would look pimp if you black it all out and get your '03 tails put in, especially with a fresh paint job you can claybar and zaino from day one.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:38 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by JRock
Sorry to hear about your cars, JZ and Mark. JZ you know you need to get Aegean Blue if they repaint.

Mark, I would just get it repainted the proper color so that everything is still cool with the dealer, like touchup paint, and what about the undamaged panels the insurance company might refuse to repaint.

But I guess if you want to stand out, get a lighter shade.

Oh and JZ:
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=68383

I gave our buddy the part #s so he got everything in except the harnesses (because the parts guy forgot to order them ). I'll probably get mine done end of next week. Your lights and bulbs are in though. Have a great trip to SF, what a great city.

You car would look pimp if you black it all out and get your '03 tails put in, especially with a fresh paint job you can claybar and zaino from day one.

I'm definately gonna get that chrome shit blacked out. Hopefully I'll be able to get wheels buffed along with th whole process since both of my passenger side wheels are scratched.

I probably won't pick up my tails until after I get back from San Fran. I guess I'll put them in when I get my car back. I'm going to go and talk to my friend at the body shop in a few mintues and see what he says before I speak with the claims adjuster.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:39 PM
Old timer

Cool, good luck with that. Don't forget to leave your explosives at home*!

*if you're watching the news about the airport in Cleveland right now.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:44 PM
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V

Sorry to hear that bro.

I am glad that I live in Cal. :P
Old 05-03-2002, 01:17 PM
Suzuka Master

sorry to hear about what happen to both of you.. I moved my car in to the garage last minute and got saved.

3 years ago my maxima got hail damage all over the car and all state basically wrote me a check for 2500 to get the car repainted and all the dings taken care of.

Most likely they'l just 'pull' the dings out w/out scratching the paint but if it doesn't go well you'll have to get it repainted..
Old 05-03-2002, 01:27 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
sorry to hear about what happen to both of you.. I moved my car in to the garage last minute and got saved.

3 years ago my maxima got hail damage all over the car and all state basically wrote me a check for 2500 to get the car repainted and all the dings taken care of.

Most likely they'l just 'pull' the dings out w/out scratching the paint but if it doesn't go well you'll have to get it repainted..

I can't see how they will be able to do anything but replace the panels because there are literally hundreds of little pings that make the side of the car look like a raw piece of sheet metal.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Zamora's auto body is a good place.

they have done two of my cars in the past, so i guess that i am a valued customer

they are good, adn Andy will take good care of you. their pain is near flawless.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:36 PM
Racer

Yea i have an appointment to see their adjuster next week, hopefully he will give me enough money to get it repainted and the dings pulled out. Yea like JZ said, I don't see how they can pull soo many tiny lil dings out. I think it would be easier for them to replace it.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:47 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by Aegean CL-S
Yea i have an appointment to see their adjuster next week, hopefully he will give me enough money to get it repainted and the dings pulled out. Yea like JZ said, I don't see how they can pull soo many tiny lil dings out. I think it would be easier for them to replace it.
If the labor cost would be a lot cheaper and your insurance company isn't a bunch of Nazis, I'm pretty sure they'll let you get new body panels - just be careful to make sure you get BRAND NEW OEM PARTS, not junkyard extras.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by JZ
Let me know what you find out on this.
I’m considering doing that to my car.

Good luck with the repairs.

Shawn S
Old 05-03-2002, 04:23 PM
('''\_(o_0)_/''')

If you get a car cover, don't put it on when the car is dirty...it'll scratch the paint and leave swirl marks. Best bet is a car port.
Old 05-03-2002, 05:02 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Couple of answers to questions:

1. There is nothing you can do to the chrome trim pieces that will be high quality. He said there is nothing that they can get to stick to that stuff well.

2. Aegean--if you go to Zamora's ask for Andy and tell him I sent you. I told him I was going to send some people his way and I think he'd be appreciative to know that. We go way back.

Anyways, if you all read my other post you'll see that the estimate was for 6000$. That's a lot of money for some frozen water.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:09 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by JZ
Couple of answers to questions:

1. There is nothing you can do to the chrome trim pieces that will be high quality. He said there is nothing that they can get to stick to that stuff well.

2. Aegean--if you go to Zamora's ask for Andy and tell him I sent you. I told him I was going to send some people his way and I think he'd be appreciative to know that. We go way back.

Anyways, if you all read my other post you'll see that the estimate was for 6000$. That's a lot of money for some frozen water.
And you pay, what $250? You're essentially getting an entirely new exterior on your car, so except for the 3-week downtime, the downside is all on the insurance company.