Brake Discs are warped. Should I change to Rotoras or Brembo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 07:02 PM
I need FI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Discs are warped. Should I change to Rotoras or Brembo?

I just want value-price suggestions. I am looking at rotoras (slotted) for 250$ in total and brembo (slotted/drilled) for 250$.

What should I take?
Old 07-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
How many miles on the car? The dealership might service or replace your rotors. It's worth a try.

If not, I would go with Rotoras, unless you are getting the real Brembos. Most that are going for cheap are Brembo blanks, which are later drilled and/or slotted. They tend to crack. I've heard good things about the Rotoras, and you can contact Scott about those. His AIM screen name is TL Type S on 19z. He sells them, along with other stuff. I've bought from him in the past and I've had excellent service.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Instructor

rotoras and ultimate pads... i got em for 230 shipped at streetbeatcustoms.com got it in 6 days in mail
Old 07-08-2004, 08:22 PM
I need FI

i'll go for the rotoras then. i'll get in on the group buy right now. thanks guys
Old 07-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Honkey

Originally Posted by dukmahsik
rotoras and ultimate pads... i got em for 230 shipped at streetbeatcustoms.com got it in 6 days in mail

You got front and rear rotors, and all the pads for $230? Shipped?
Old 07-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

I'm assuming you are talking about just the fronts right?
Old 07-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Drifting

slotted? Also, is it worth getting slotted? heard that they are just as shitty if not worse.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by evilstorm
slotted? Also, is it worth getting slotted? heard that they are just as shitty if not worse.

They will help with the cooling of the front brakes, i.e. prevent warping.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrsteve
They will help with the cooling of the front brakes, i.e. prevent warping.
ive read since there is less mass it creates more heat makes sense that the holes would make it cooler, just not sure... and dont wanna buy the wrong thing. thanks!
Old 07-08-2004, 11:03 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@27k it seems like my rotors are warped again, time for some more warranty work
Old 07-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Honkey

From what I understand, slotted rotors show benefits...drilled rotors tend to become brittle.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:22 PM
Sweet as Gold

are u doin the big brake kit??
Old 07-08-2004, 11:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ant7701
are u doin the big brake kit??
damn! just front bbk is almost $1400 Id love to do it just not rich, yet
Old 07-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Beware of leakage

Rotora slotted is the way to go, hopefully one say when I ever find that money I buried in the back yard I can start modding again, and get some.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Instructor

holy cow, im sorry i should have mentioned they were just the fronts slotted with pads for 230 shipped
Old 07-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Actually slotted are the best bet; the slotting allows for reduced heat which leads to reduction of and/or no warping. The drilling really is just for show. I am NOT saying that the cross-drilled rotors are bad just that the drilling is more for show than performance. And I have a groupbuy in the black market on ROTORA brakes and BBK and the BBK is $1345 shipped.. instead of $1400.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Carbon is light too, and they work great.

ive read since there is less mass it creates more heat makes sense that the holes would make it cooler, just not sure... and dont wanna buy the wrong thing. thanks!

No, the person spouting that drivel needs to read abit more and stop making black-and-white conclusions about a subject that is rather complicated.

Short answer:

Some drilled rotors are terrible.

Some drilled rotors are ok.

The slots help -- PERIOD.

I hope your not reading stuff from the same guy that would probably have everyone driving around with SOLID rotors as the metal will store more heat...
Old 07-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Pro

How about ROTORA $1250 BRAND NEW set here
sounds?
Old 07-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by av6ent
How about ROTORA $1250 BRAND NEW set here
sounds?

Not a good idea to be posting other vendors when there is a current group buy in progress. Unless they pay don't do it mang.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Excelerate
The drilling really is just for show. I am NOT saying that the cross-drilled rotors are bad just that the drilling is more for show than performance.
Porsche and others do NOT x-drill just to get their customers hard ons.

Please! If you have an opinion, that's fine. But just because some folks associated drilling with performance, doesn't mean high-end companies put holes in rotors to impress.

Some use the holes to reduce unsprung weight and to lower rotational inertia.

Others cast the holes in the disks.

Others use special metalurgy to reduce stress and pay attention to careful design issues.

Willwood (yep, they are idiots that cater to the "look at me" crowd):

http://www.wilwood.com/tjm/14inchrotors.asp

SRP Drilled Performance Rotors feature a specially engineered directional cross drill and face slot pattern that improve brake response and pad performance throughout the entire range of light to heavy braking. The venting and cleaning action of the holes and slots will reduce pad glaze and disperse gasses and heat generated during the pad to rotor interface. The holes and slots also inhibit irregular pad compound build-up on the rotor faces resulting in smoother engagement and improved pedal response in all conditions. The material removed also contributes to lower rotating and unsprung suspension weight. Along with the excellent performance characteristics of this rotor design, each rotor is treated with a silver zinc wash to inhibit corrosion on all areas of the rotor not swept clean by the brake pads. The high tech design, classic style, and aesthetic appeal of the SRP series are the perfect finishing touches to any wheel and tire detail. SRP rotors are available in all popular sizes used in Wilwood's Pro Series and Big Brake conversion kits. Kits in these categories designated with the drilled rotor option get the SRP as standard equipment.

AP Racing:

http://www.apracing.com/roadcar/brakekit/choice.htm

Disc Choice
AP Racing Formula Brake Kits come supplied with large diameter discs. The ventilated discs have either 24, 30 or 48 cooling vanes depending on the application, to draw air through the centre of the discs. They are handed left and right, and are cross drilled or grooved, again, depending on the application, to allow gasses that build up on the surface to escape. Where cross drilling is used it is more restrained than on the face of our full race discs, as pad longevity is more important on a road car than weight saving. The discs are wider and of a larger diameter than standard. The extra material controls heat build up and the larger diameter means that the caliper can be mounted further away from the centre increasing the leverage effect, which increases braking torque while decreasing effort required on the pedal.

Grooved Discs : G4, G8, Grooves improve 'cleaning' of the pad surfaces and result in a more consistent brake performance. Grooved discs have a longer life than cross-drilled discs.

Radius Drilled Discs : RD, Radius Cross-Drilled discs offer improved 'bite' and 'feel', but are less resistant to cracking than grooved or plain discs.

I could go on and on with more examples. This lame argument has really gone on long enough. Some people are into looks and buy stuff -- like huge wings -- that won't help their underpowered cars ever reach speeds high enough to enhance their grip; that doesn't mean that wings are only for show. This same argument has been tossed around on newgroups and forums for ages. There are many examples of poorly drilled rotors. Some of these sad examples even had holes drilled through the vanes. The list goes on and on. Just because some nitwits don't have a clue about their "doings", doesn't mean that everyone who uses some technology with possible "downsides" are going to produce a defective or inferior product. IOW, not all rotors with cross drilling are for looks. Depending on the brake company, x-drilling is useless in all conditions, or x-drilling can be used to help cooling and weight...
Old 07-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EricL
I could go on and on with more examples. This lame argument has really gone on long enough. Some people are into looks and buy stuff -- like huge wings -- that won't help their underpowered cars ever reach speeds high enough to enhance their grip; that doesn't mean that wings are only for show. This same argument has been tossed around on newgroups and forums for ages. There are many examples of poorly drilled rotors. Some of these sad examples even had holes drilled through the vanes. The list goes on and on. Just because some nitwits don't have a clue about their "doings", doesn't mean that everyone who uses some technology with possible "downsides" are going to produce a defective or inferior product. IOW, not all rotors with cross drilling are for looks. Depending on the brake company, x-drilling is useless in all conditions, or x-drilling can be used to help cooling and weight...

Very well put. +1
Old 07-10-2004, 11:18 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Eric is teh Brake Knowledge Master.

I have slotted and drilled Brembos and love them.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by EricL
Porsche and others do NOT x-drill just to get their customers hard ons.

Please! If you have an opinion, that's fine. But just because some folks associated drilling with performance, doesn't mean high-end companies put holes in rotors to impress.

Some use the holes to reduce unsprung weight and to lower rotational inertia.

Others cast the holes in the disks.

Others use special metalurgy to reduce stress and pay attention to careful design issues.

Willwood (yep, they are idiots that cater to the "look at me" crowd):

http://www.wilwood.com/tjm/14inchrotors.asp

AP Racing:

http://www.apracing.com/roadcar/brakekit/choice.htm

I didn't say they didn't do anything. If you read my post you will see that. However, many companies do them more for show than for performance. I'm aware of Porsche and Brembo drilling their brakes and I know they do that for a reason. However, brake techs told me that yes the slotted rotors offer more performance than the drilled and the only reason they offer slotted and drilled is for the guys who want the "look" of performance brakes.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Advanced

people any rotors going to warp. the reason for the rotors warping is because you guys are washing your cars when the rotors are hot. make the car cool down first before you wash it.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mrimage27
people any rotors going to warp. the reason for the rotors warping is because you guys are washing your cars when the rotors are hot. make the car cool down first before you wash it.

You are absolutely right. The ONLY reason rotors ever warp is because we wash our cars when the rotors are still hot from driving. Geez, that should have been put in the TSB about our front rotors warping.

Old 07-10-2004, 11:50 AM
I need FI

hahaha. good point there
Old 07-10-2004, 01:45 PM
GEEZER

:killer: what a NooB...
Old 07-10-2004, 02:10 PM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

you're kidding right?
Old 07-10-2004, 02:43 PM
I need FI

you guys are laughing at this guy's comment, but the dealer told me certain scenarios that do warp the rotors, and they mentioned the same one!
Old 07-10-2004, 03:21 PM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

the dealer will also bend u over for 15, 30, 50K service and tell you the trannies are fixed....don't believe the hype man...its just common sense to know about spraying cold water on hot rotors. The dealer will tell you anything to avoid fixing warranty shit.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:25 PM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea- one time, at band camp, I drove my car right into my driveway from the freeway at 112 mph and started washing my car. Naturally the first place I sprayed was my rotors.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:36 PM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by berny
you guys are laughing at this guy's comment, but the dealer told me certain scenarios that do warp the rotors, and they mentioned the same one!
I agree. God forbid that you use your brakes when it's wet outside. That's just crazy talk.
PS: I have some really good swamp land in Florida for sale.....http://www.swamp4u.com/
Old 07-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Cruz_msl
Yea- one time, at band camp, I drove my car right into my driveway from the freeway at 112 mph and started washing my car. Naturally the first place I sprayed was my rotors.

I'm going to have Acura remove the water sprayers they put on the wheels (You know, for that possible cracked rotor fix.)
Old 07-11-2004, 08:32 AM
GEEZER

brembos
Old 07-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Instructor

i just installed rotoras but the slots face foward like / is that correct?