Bluetooth in 2003 CL

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth in 2003 CL

Has anyone installed an aftermarket Bluetooth set in their 2003 CL? Motorola and other brands make Bluetooth sets for cell phones (which is why I want to use it) to install in cars that came out before Bluetooth became an option. The new TSX has intergrated Bluetooth...now I am curious about installing it in my CL. If anyone has Bluetooth installed:
1) What brand did you buy
2) Where did you put the Bluetooth box (the thing that contains the microphone, etc)?
I want to put it some where out of the way and hidden, but I am not sure where.
3) How does it work compared to cars with intergreated Bluetooth
4) Does it really come through the speakers and sound good the way it is supposed to?

Any information would be great
Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Save the $$$ and buy a good headset....

Installed BT systems are pretty good, though I'm not too keen on them personally because I want to have a phone conversation, not a conference call when I'm in the car.

I played with a Parrot system for a while and that seemed to play the best with my PDA. It all depends on what phone you're going to be using with your BT system. I also toyed around with some FM modulated systems that worked fine with the radio but was an issue for me because I have my SAT running through FM as well. The microphone usually gets placed by the temp sensor next to the steering column, on the A-bar on the driver's side or right next to the sunvisor on the driver's side.

My personal recommendation would be to save yourself the mulah and buy yourself a Plantronics Discovery 640. To date, this is the BEST headset I've owned. And trust me, I've been through several of many brands to make that statement. If you go retail with it, you'll pay around $100. But I've seen it online from time to time for around $60-70.

Hope this helps...
Old 04-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by falabarce
Installed BT systems are pretty good, though I'm not too keen on them personally because I want to have a phone conversation, not a conference call when I'm in the car.

I played with a Parrot system for a while and that seemed to play the best with my PDA. It all depends on what phone you're going to be using with your BT system. I also toyed around with some FM modulated systems that worked fine with the radio but was an issue for me because I have my SAT running through FM as well. The microphone usually gets placed by the temp sensor next to the steering column, on the A-bar on the driver's side or right next to the sunvisor on the driver's side.

My personal recommendation would be to save yourself the mulah and buy yourself a Plantronics Discovery 640. To date, this is the BEST headset I've owned. And trust me, I've been through several of many brands to make that statement. If you go retail with it, you'll pay around $100. But I've seen it online from time to time for around $60-70.

Hope this helps...
Thanks for the info...it does help. I also read about the Parrot systems, and they seem to be a good choice if I go with something like that. Also, thanks for the info on the Bluetooth headset. I will look into it. For now, I think I am just going to use the speaker phone ability so I can shift gears without holding a phone in my hand.
Thanks
Old 04-20-2006, 08:43 AM
DC Cruiser

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Moto BT car kit installed in my CL. At speeds in excess of 75 mph with windows up, wind noise has been an issue on the receiving end. For city driving, however, it works very well.

The ability to talk w/o a headset is vey useful, as one would not have to put a headset on and take one off with every call. For business travel with my boss, for example, and going out at night with friends while trying to link up, the BT kit works awesome-

I don't have a BT headset, and purchased my BT unit for under $160 and installed it myself. I did not wire the BT unit through the stereo, as I want the ability to listen to music while placing calls, and lower the volume as I see fit.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Advanced

My Motorola H700 headset works great! I couldn't imagine going through the trouble of installing a BT system in my car other than the fact that it's kind of impressive to the ladies . But I am married now so that doesn't matter .
Old 04-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Instructor

I have the parrot 3200 LS color screen bluetooth in my car....works great

my buddy josh at soundcraft built a fiberglass enclosure to mount the unit in that great little unused space

Old 04-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chris82079

my buddy josh at soundcraft built a fiberglass enclosure to mount the unit in that great little unused space

who did your install man... it looks great at first site.... but then check all those exposed wires under the dash in that last pic. THAT HAS GOT TO GO
Old 04-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Big up ya self, BO!

Another option (if you're looking to install an aftermarket headunit anytime in the future) are the new headunits coming out with bluetooth built in. I think several brands have already released models with this feature, which I assume would be very similiar to the stock in the TSX/TL.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Advanced

Our family just got an IS350 with navi which has integrated blue tooth. If I'm driving around alone in the car and having a conversation via blue tooth...mann do I get some stares as if i'm talking to myself or something haha..blue tooth is overrated
Old 04-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aveisone
who did your install man... it looks great at first site.... but then check all those exposed wires under the dash in that last pic. THAT HAS GOT TO GO

the wires are my fault i was screwing around with the leds under my dash.......i have way too many sets of wires under there. Unfortunitely the carpet just sits there....it doesnt clip to anything
Old 05-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Intermediate

Nice pictures I have the exact same setup, including the Kenwood DDX8017. I have the Parrot Bluetooth CK3100 LCD. After having a 06 TL Rental, I had to get one for my '01 CL-S. The Parrot Bluetooth CK3100 or 3200 are highly recommended. The clarity, the radio muting, the fact that I can talk normal and not yell...voice activated dialing. It's the shit. ANd very reasonable.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Intermediate

I am jealous they did a WAY better job integrating your Kenwood than mine!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Recently turned 18

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmm. I want one, but I thought of something. Can the system be turned off? If I'm riding with someone and don't want her to hear/know who's calling I'd like that option. I would be pretty busted if lady 1 called and lady 2 was sitting there looking at me ignore the call.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:43 AM
Instructor

yeah a couple button clicks will disconnect the phone....then you talk with handset
Old 05-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by derrickonline
I am jealous they did a WAY better job integrating your Kenwood than mine!

the kit was custom made....its not the cover piece that others have....its a full kit
they did a heck of a job!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Intermediate

Blitz...I TOTALLY understand man. It can be dangerous, you pick up the call and your friend immediately starts saying "Hey man did you fuck shorty yet?" You're like....uhgguugh, lemme call you back she's with me now. lol.

You can pick up then from your phone switch it to ear instead of handsfree. It's easy.

Chris:
Man they did a hell of a job. I was actually pretty pissed when I saw how they did mine. I thought it would be perfectly flush. It's almost flush but they have this stupid cover piece around the edges of the unit. Losers.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Recently turned 18

Damn, I want it...but the hassle of getting that one "drama call" is replaying in my mind. I was going to go the Alpine route though.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:16 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by falabarce

Hope this helps...

i own it too.. I LOVE IT! I've tried many other BT headsets and sold them at CompUSA and byfar this one has the best reviews and fits your ear the best...

Originally Posted by Type Sun
Another option (if you're looking to install an aftermarket headunit anytime in the future) are the new headunits coming out with bluetooth built in. I think several brands have already released models with this feature, which I assume would be very similiar to the stock in the TSX/TL.
Pioneer Avic Z1, is the newest one out.... its a bit pricey though
Old 05-07-2006, 08:18 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by Type Sun
Pioneer Z1, is the newest one out.... its a bit pricey though
Old 05-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

i've got the Pioneer Z1 with bluetooth, it works okay. Caller ID doesn't always show up. It doesn't display call waiting. Thats the crappy part, but I heard on the Eastcoast for some reason it works for those guys. Just not for me for some apparent reason. But at least it turns down my music and notifies me of incoming calls (i always miss calls cranking up the music too high) plus I can voice dial.

But I heard sometimes it has to do with the service provider or cell phone.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:57 PM
ER
Intermediate

Originally Posted by greyjhu
I have a Moto BT car kit installed in my CL. At speeds in excess of 75 mph with windows up, wind noise has been an issue on the receiving end. For city driving, however, it works very well.

The ability to talk w/o a headset is vey useful, as one would not have to put a headset on and take one off with every call. For business travel with my boss, for example, and going out at night with friends while trying to link up, the BT kit works awesome-

I don't have a BT headset, and purchased my BT unit for under $160 and installed it myself. I did not wire the BT unit through the stereo, as I want the ability to listen to music while placing calls, and lower the volume as I see fit.
I've got the exact same setup -- I don't have any road noise issues even at higher speeds. My mic is on the driver's side pillar, the speaker is to the right of the wheel, the bluetooth control panel is above the speaker and the "brain" of the system is under the dashboard (above the clutch). Paid $130 for the system on eBay and $80 to install it.

Eugene
Old 05-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

The only thing about the "Parrot" units I noticed when a distributor was trying to "sell it to me" was that it cuts off speaker level and sends its own signal out (the unit has speaker level output) it would not work if you had an amp running your speakers.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:15 AM
3 the Hard Way

Anyone here have any experience with new Alpine's and the bluetooth? I love my Alpine 9835, but I love bluetooth, and if the new alpine's bluetooth functionality is straight, I MIGHT consider getting it. But I'm looking for real world feedback
Old 05-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Recently turned 18

^^My next headunit is going to be an Alpine w/ bluetooth capabilities. I'll just have to upgrade my phone then.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:42 PM
3 the Hard Way

Blitz, let us know when you do.

Anyone have it in their CL now though?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:23 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by derrickonline
Nice pictures I have the exact same setup, including the Kenwood DDX8017. I have the Parrot Bluetooth CK3100 LCD. After having a 06 TL Rental, I had to get one for my '01 CL-S. The Parrot Bluetooth CK3100 or 3200 are highly recommended. The clarity, the radio muting, the fact that I can talk normal and not yell...voice activated dialing. It's the shit. ANd very reasonable.
I put the Parrot CK3100 into my '01 CL-S with stock Bose radio using an ISO adapter from Installer.com. I had to use the line outs + a couple 3K resistors to get a tolerable volume level, but it worked great. Unfortunately, the car alarm started acting up (no longer gave a confirmatory beep on 2nd hit of remote) and then the alarm started going off at random times (not good for a marriage). So, I had to bypass the CK3100 until I can find a solution. With the wiring back to normal (no CK3100), the alarm is acting normal again.

Anybody with an idea why a Parrot CK3100 wired into the stock radio of a '01 CL-S would f*** up the alarm? or, better yet, how to fix it? I would love to have the CK3100 working again, but I only know enough to be dangerous.

The kids at the store where I bought the car kit were clueless and none of the local stereo shops will install a BT kit for me. Bummer.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Banned

Just curious, with these systems does your ringtones play over your stereo system when you get a lcall or does it just come from your cell phone? I make my own ringtones and I'd love it if they played over my stereo if I get a call.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:39 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by danielsmi
Just curious, with these systems does your ringtones play over your stereo system when you get a lcall or does it just come from your cell phone? I make my own ringtones and I'd love it if they played over my stereo if I get a call.
Not the case with the Parrot CK3100 (AFAIK). It has it's own ring.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:54 PM
MKT
Intermediate

I just had the Motorola HF850 Bluetooth Kit installed in my 2001 S. It works great. I also had the mute function installed with it so the music stops on my Alpine XM when the Bluetooth is in use. The mic is up near the mirror and the speaker and module are under the dash somewhere. I have a Motorola Razr and the Bluetooth unit works off the Voice Activation from the Razr. It is very cool. I have a 04' TL with the integrated Bluetooth and the Motorola works just as well.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chris82079
Hey! I have really wanted to get this exact Parrot device but 2 main things have put me off...

1) There is not (at least as far as I know) a wiring harness to connect it to our vehicle. Was this a custom job? I don't like cutting into stock wiring if I don't have to.

2) All I have read points to this device not playing through the car's stereo especially if you have a Bose system.

Now I did notice you have an aftermarket unit but I would still like to hear some input from you and/or other people who have installed a Parrot system in their car. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRILIGHT
Hey! I have really wanted to get this exact Parrot device but 2 main things have put me off...

1) There is not (at least as far as I know) a wiring harness to connect it to our vehicle. Was this a custom job? I don't like cutting into stock wiring if I don't have to.

2) All I have read points to this device not playing through the car's stereo especially if you have a Bose system.

Now I did notice you have an aftermarket unit but I would still like to hear some input from you and/or other people who have installed a Parrot system in their car. Thanks!
Still no one knows? Surely there are more people with a Parrot system in their CL? My headset is getting annoying. I want a true handsfree solution with nothing in my ear.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:52 PM
MKT
Intermediate

As I mentioned in my thread I am using the Motorola HF 850 Bluetooth Kit in my 2001 CL Type S. It has it's own speaker that has been installed under the dash somewhere along with the module, the activation switch is mounted on the dash next to the HVAC controls and the mic is installed next to the rear view mirror. It has voice activation that works off of my RAZR voice activation system. It really works great. Have had no problems with it.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:52 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TRILIGHT
Still no one knows? Surely there are more people with a Parrot system in their CL? My headset is getting annoying. I want a true handsfree solution with nothing in my ear.
I installed a Parrot CK-3100 into my 2001 Acura CL Type S (with original Bose head unit) myself...and I'm pretty clueless.

I used the wonderfully detailed and simple instructions provide in the PDF from this thread to get to my radio. I bought a Metra BT-1721-A harness online (e.g., available from parrotkit.com or installer.com for ~$50). Because of the Bose amplifier, I had to wire the line outs from the Parrot kit into the harness inputs (brown to red, green to white, see pic -- please no comments on my poor welding skills) with 3.3k-Ohm resistors (Radio Shack part #271-1328) inline to bring the volume down to "normal" levels. I think the folks at parrotkit.com might have a plug-n-play for the Bose amplifier by now.

After installing, my alarm started freaking out and my SRS indicator light wouldn't turn off. I thought I had really fried my poor CL and took out the Parrot kit. Turns out that the alarm problem was due to a sticky latch in the hood and the SRS light was a known recall issue under warranty. After getting my CL serviced & learning that it was all a painful coincidence, I re-installed my Parrot CK-3100 and I've been enjoying it ever since.

Voice activated, sound over car stereo speakers, automatically mutes front speakers, links automagically to my Treo 700p flawlessly. Sweet!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where did you mount your Parrot? I was looking at the Motorolla as an option as well since it is smaller, and doesn't take up as much space on the dash.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

I put the Parrot 3200 in my CL using the new QCHBB-HA interface (pricey at $149 but a real dream to install and adjust if you have Bose). www.Parrotkits.com doesn't list it on their website yet, but they provided the interface after I wrote to them. I was going to get the QCHon-1 and do the acura mod they show (like I guess ekrub did), but that mod doesn't work with the Parrot 3200 and I really wanted color for photo caller ID. Highly recommended.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:03 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Paclark01
Where did you mount your Parrot? I was looking at the Motorola as an option as well since it is smaller, and doesn't take up as much space on the dash.
I mounted the CK-3100 in a spot right under the trip meter reset button. I can see it over the steering wheel and get to it easily. The cord tucks neatly into the seam at the very tip of the driver's knee panel. This location has worked great for me. I managed to fit most of the Parrot's innards (e.g., the blue box) behind the dash just below where the display is installed, rather than jamming it in behind the radio.

And yes, the diagram on the support page at ParrotKit.com is what I followed. A tip for anyone doing this install: once you've tested your install and are happy with it, cut out the excess length of the line out wires rather than coiling them up like I did at first (coiled wires can add unwanted noise).

The increased size of the CK-3200 wasn't worth it (for me). The color screen grabbed me at first, but in the end I was more interested in the lower profile than having pics on caller ID.

Not a great pic...I was testing sound levels. But you get the idea.