bish won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004 | 06:48 PM
War Eagle!!!

bish won't crank

So I'm walking out of the office this afternoon and getting into my car, open the trunk, throw in the briefcase, toss the pda & phone, sit down and put the key in the ignition, turn...and turn...and continue to turn. ..my car, which normally fires after the 2nd crank, won't fire. nothing. still nothing...hotness but nothing...either one of two things are happening: no fuel (bad fuel filter or fuel pump) or no spark. ignition seems ok, since everything electrical was turning over...but as far as getting fire, I'm not sure. So it's being towed to the dealer first thing am...any ideas??? 87,540 miles...been solid as a rock since the tranny was replaced at 48,xxx-49,xxx miles...I guess it's just that time...
Old 06-21-2004 | 07:43 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Maybe you just need a battery. Sometime when the battery is weak it is not turning the car over fast enough to start it.
Old 06-21-2004 | 07:48 PM
Drifting

Old 06-22-2004 | 12:04 AM
War Eagle!!!

Well I went back down to the office tonight with a friend to check on her, she turned right over. I think the heat may have something to do with it, since she's black and sits in the sun all day. I have had the battery replaced around 70k miles, so I know it's good. Unless the heat down here has baked it to death...still taking her in to the service dept. tomorrow, going to put on my biggest "please don't rape me because my car is high-mileage, mr. service manager" shirt...
Old 06-22-2004 | 12:08 AM
Beware of leakage

Alternator ?
Were your Radio stations reset ?

Not the battery since you could hear it trying to turn over"
Old 06-22-2004 | 12:54 AM
War Eagle!!!

Originally Posted by Chopper
Alternator ?
Were your Radio stations reset ?

Not the battery since you could hear it trying to turn over"

Nope. Everything electrical was fine. HID's were on, radio didn't reset, never asked for code, the car just wouldn't turn over. And what's worse is that it wasn't sluggish on the crank either. Just that typical honda starter turning over and over and over and over...I think it's a bad fuel filter that got baked in the sun today thanks to 105 heat index and black paint...We'll see tomorrow morning!
Old 06-22-2004 | 11:56 AM
Instructor

carburetors used to have a condition called "vapor lock". basically this is where the fuel gets hot enough to turn into vapor in the carb fuel bowl. injected systems aren't supposed to have this problem. this is because the fuel system is pressurized from the tank all the way to the injectors. its possible that somewhere in your fuel/evap system the fuel is getting hot enough to vaporize. either due to enough heat or a drop in fuel pressure. if so this would cause the problem your experiencing.

but its more likely its just a computer/elec problem. the heat may or may not be a factor, just coincidence.
Old 06-22-2004 | 06:27 PM
Beware of leakage

Originally Posted by momentum3.2
Nope. Everything electrical was fine. HID's were on, radio didn't reset, never asked for code, the car just wouldn't turn over. And what's worse is that it wasn't sluggish on the crank either. Just that typical honda starter turning over and over and over and over...I think it's a bad fuel filter that got baked in the sun today thanks to 105 heat index and black paint...We'll see tomorrow morning!
nevertheless, let us know the answer to the mystery
good luck
Old 06-22-2004 | 07:00 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

From: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
I had a similiar problem,

the solution brought it to acura they said the charging system wasnt working, they replaced the charging system and battery for free.
Old 06-22-2004 | 08:33 PM
War Eagle!!!

nevertheless, let us know the answer to the mystery
good luck

it's there overnight. My service manager said that the shop techs were looking into a fuel relay below the dash and the fuel pump itself...any service bulletins for the fuel system? He mentioned that it's an issue with the AV6 but rare in the CL.
Old 06-22-2004 | 08:42 PM
CL-
Three - Point - OH

maybe ur alarm is on?
Old 06-22-2004 | 08:49 PM
_

PUSHINNG 90000 MILES! maybe she is going on strike?
Old 06-22-2004 | 08:56 PM
War Eagle!!!

Originally Posted by CL-
maybe ur alarm is on?
There is a possibility that my keys somehow got "decoded" which would not allow the starter to fire, but that doesn't explain how it then magically started later last night and I was able to drive it to the dealership this morning...good idea though, it is a possibility that the relay that interprets the signal returned from the chip in the key could be faulting, and that extreme heat (like deep southern alabama humidity + black paint) could cause the circuits to expand/retract due to the 30 degree temperature change we experience every night. (it's usually 100 degrees max during the day and 70 at night) However, heat dissipation at that extreme only works at high temps and low temps, with abrupt changes. I can theoretically say it could be happening but I'm not even sure if a simple relay controls the security key and the sensor in the starter or if it's built into one of the chipsets in the cpu or ecu...

Also, the starter was actually firing, the engine just wasn't turning over which is why it's more of an air/fuel/spark mixture issue.
Old 06-22-2004 | 08:58 PM
War Eagle!!!

Originally Posted by CLeanATL
PUSHINNG 90000 MILES! maybe she is going on strike?
as heavy as my foot is, I wouldn't be surprised!!!
Old 06-23-2004 | 02:56 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

If your key is decoded, the green key light in your dash will be blinking. If it is off then your key code is ok. When you turn on your ignition that light should come on for a second or so and turn off. Even if your key code is wrong your car will turn over. Oh, I think your car have a ignition recall too.
Old 06-23-2004 | 03:09 AM
Burning Brakes

that happend to me before on my cl-p. twice it happened. the only think i could link it to was the super hot weather. i just waited and it cranked right over. i don't exactly know why it did that. this happened within 1.5 years of purchase. but it hasn't done that for like a lil more than a year now. i don't exactly know why either.
Old 06-23-2004 | 04:52 PM
War Eagle!!!

still waiting on dealership...
Old 06-23-2004 | 05:35 PM
Beware of leakage

You keep referring to the AL heat and humidity, but I'm thinking that it is the least likely cause since many other CL's probably endure even hotter temps with black paint.
But hey anything is possible.
nice dealership too.
Old 06-23-2004 | 06:14 PM
War Eagle!!!

You keep referring to the AL heat and humidity, but I'm thinking that it is the least likely cause since many other CL's probably endure even hotter temps with black paint.
But hey anything is possible.
nice dealership too.
very true. I should be referring to the southeast's heat and humidity, not just AL. I just wish my service manager would take his thumb out of his butt and tell me what's wrong with it...
Old 06-26-2004 | 02:43 AM
War Eagle!!!

Update. Got her back this morning. Dealership was unable to reproduce the problem, ecu threw zero information for them to anaylze as well. Under 'good will warranty', they replaced the fuel pump relay and sending unit as all other systems 'appeared' in top shape. I went ahead and had them perform the 87,500 service because A) the odo reads 87,540 and B) I figured they could be doing something with her while she was on the lot for 3 days and while the mechanics 'contemplated' on what was the issue at hand...However I was reluctant to have the timing belt service performed. Anybody had that changed yet? If so, what was the damage to the wallet? this trip only cost me $457.

So let's break it down...

Gas for Trip to King Acura: $2.10
Scheduled Maintenance for said Acura: $457
Having your car there for 3 days with unknown problem during cold starts, then having the dealership 'give up' and 'throw in' free parts that 'most likely were causing the issue' without actually knowing what was going on: priceless...

I'm taking over/under bets that it happens again, who's in??
Old 06-26-2004 | 07:54 AM
Wishin' I was in the Keys

I have slow cranks a couple times on my '03 CL-S. My son has a '98 Accord Coupe V6 and has the same thing happen on his car. He is getting ready to take it in for the 95k tune-up and timing belt and will ask about that. He has a CAI installed on his car. Mine is stock.

We've never had the problem with my wife's '03 TL. It is not a Type S. I'm wondering if the airflow might be a cause of this. Comments?