BIG PROBLEMS with EIBACH pro-kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 02:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG PROBLEMS with EIBACH pro-kit

Alright, yersterday I did the eibach install and per recommendation of Eibach instructions and some member here
http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=010137 I cut the BUMP STOPS on the strut according to the specs, ie 30mm in the rear, 40 mm in the front. I think now MY CAR is TOO LOW (pics to come) and there are chances of me bottoming out too many times.

Someone with some knowledge PLEASE shine some light on this issue, in particular, should the BUMPS STOPS be cut?, negative positive of doing it and if its BAD, how can it be corrected. Please help, skitzing out here a bit. Thanks
Old 08-20-2001, 02:37 PM
on bin laden

yeah, 4pumpedCL (Aaron) is the man when it comes to springs and shit. he is correct, i will cut mine as well when i install then. they (the bump stops) has nothing to do with how far they dropped. that is just the mega drop from the eibach pro-kit. cutting the bump stops gives the desired effect of not bottoming out too soon.
Old 08-20-2001, 02:48 PM
Drifting

Dude..Install the springs already =)

Originally posted by fbazakos:
<STRONG>yeah, 4pumpedCL (Aaron) is the man when it comes to springs and shit. he is correct, i will cut mine as well when i install then. they (the bump stops) has nothing to do with how far they dropped. that is just the mega drop from the eibach pro-kit. cutting the bump stops gives the desired effect of not bottoming out too soon.</STRONG>
Old 08-20-2001, 02:58 PM
Safety Car

<STRONG>yeah, 4pumpedCL (Aaron) is the man when it comes to springs and shit. he is correct, i will cut mine as well when i install then. they (the bump stops) has nothing to do with how far they dropped. that is just the mega drop from the eibach pro-kit. cutting the bump stops gives the desired effect of not bottoming out too soon.</STRONG>
My mechanic said the same thing regarding the bump stops, meaning that they wont hurt anything if cut, just stops the strut later. So we cut them as intructed by Eibachs and 4pumpedCL. But I guess typeR's posting messed me up a bit since my rear is fairly low, looks good however.
Old 08-20-2001, 03:43 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

The reason you are supposed to cut the bumpstops as someone else said, is so that you do NOT bottom out as frequently because the shock has more room to travel before it hits the bump stop. (ie Bottoming Out) As your stock shocks gradually turn to mush (yes its just a matter of time with stiffer springs) you will notice an increase in bottoming out. Then is a good time to look into some aftermarket shocks.
Old 08-20-2001, 04:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by BNut:
<STRONG>The reason you are supposed to cut the bumpstops as someone else said, is so that you do NOT bottom out as frequently because the shock has more room to travel before it hits the bump stop. (ie Bottoming Out) As your stock shocks gradually turn to mush (yes its just a matter of time with stiffer springs) you will notice an increase in bottoming out. Then is a good time to look into some aftermarket shocks. </STRONG>
How long will it take for the stock shocks to wear out.
Old 08-20-2001, 04:44 PM
do it yourself, !

I didn't cut anything and I don't bottom out at all. ANd I live in one of the worse cities as far as road conditions. My guy told me about the cut they recommend, but suggested it wasn't 100% necessary. He has a lot of experience with accords and all hondas for that matter so I trusted his judgement. So far, about 5000 miles on the Prokits and not one rub in the tires or bottoming out. The stock shocks are holding up too, but it may be psychological that its getting bouncier and I'm probably getting "suspension happy"

-j
Old 08-20-2001, 04:44 PM
on bin laden

Spiro, fisa mou malaka.

I'm holding out on the install until i can find some koni yellows. That way i dont have to wonder when my stock shocks will blow away. Most people have had good luck with the springs on stock shocks, but don't expect many many years. even the tokicos only last 3-5 years. konis are the only ones that last for a really long time.
Old 08-20-2001, 04:49 PM
Rod
Drifting

<STRONG>I'm holding out on the install until i can find some koni yellows. That way i dont have to wonder when my stock shocks will blow away. Most people have had good luck with the springs on stock shocks, but don't expect many many years. even the tokicos only last 3-5 years. konis are the only ones that last for a really long time.</STRONG>
You've had those springs just sitting there for the looongest. I remember at one point I was waiting for you to post pics so that I could decide between the Pro-Kit and the Comptechs. What ever happened to the Koni group buy you had arranged for?
Old 08-20-2001, 05:14 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

I got 10,000 GOOD miles with my stock shocks (after they already had about 15,000 miles with the stock springs)... and after 15,000 with the Pro-Kit springs the bouncing got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore because it felt like I was riding in damn Cadillac. Depending on your driving style and road conditions your milage will vary... I did a LOT of high speed (80+mph) on really bad sections of I-10 driving back and forth from Houston to Lafayette, so if anything that probably beat my shocks up more than normal city driving.