Best oil filter...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok...so where is everyone getting the Amsoil oil filter at?
Old 03-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by lou
Yea amsoil claims 15K by just using their oil which is wrong cause the acura filter will burn right through with that amount of mileage. Yes the oil wont degrade as much but the filter plays a major roles in how clean your oil will be thoughout the 15K miles. If your filter fails then no matter how good your oil is it will still have higher level of metals. The point is can any filter manufacturer claim that the it will filter for as long as 15K miles ???? Thats what most important cause any synthetic will last 10K thats understable but filter are different.

Mobil1 never claimed such claims they even mention follow the manufacturer maintenance recommendation. Amsoil has balls to claim their filter will last that long at those temperature and still do an effecient job. Those are the questions that I would ask myself.
:4cents: fyi amsoil claims there filter is good for 12500 miles or six months (for most of you)
they know what breaks down their filters...
quote from here.

http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/faq_filte...ge_6months.htm

Oil Filter Changes At Six Month Intervals
Q. Why does AMSOIL say to change the AMSOIL SDF Oil Filter at six months regardless of the mileage. I have only gone 5,000 miles and figure that I could go the whole year without changing it and be good.

A. Once an engine is run with new oil, byproducts of combustion are introduced into the oil. These byproducts are harmful chemicals that continue to degrade the integrity of the motor oil as well as the oil filter media even though the engine may be off. This is why a time limit is published as well as mileage. Short trip driving can be just as detrimental to motor oil and filters as high mileage use, and even more so in some cases. It’s possible that the oil is still intact at the end of the published time limit, but oil analysis would be needed to verify this. Heavy trucks use this practice regularly, however in small sump capacity engines, the cost of the test is nearly as much as the cost of an oil change.

yes amsoil "has the balls" they back it up by testing. Also mobil wants you to change their syn every 3k WHY could it be $$$$ for them

Old 03-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by peiqinglong
www.amsoil.com

find your area rep or just order one and have it shipped.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I buy them online. At first I too was afraid of voiding my warranty...so I changed every 7,500 miles...but...After my 60k change, I'll be doing 10k/oil change using the filter & oil here.

P.S.
I got my 1st tranny replaced at 40k miles. I plan on NOT getting a flush so the 2nd one would break hopefully around 90k...which won't void any warranties, since the "normal" tranny fluid change interval is every 60k miles. Once I have my 3rd tranny installed, I'll convert THAT to synthetic as well, and install a tranny cooler to boot.

Unlike the leasing guys...I'm here for the LOOONG haul.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Racer

I heard concerns before about aftermarket filters not have the backflow holes. Not familiar with the filter other than Honda/Acura but alot of other filters do not have those holes.
Also those who said they go extented miles with synthetic oils. No matter what kind of oil you use its still subject to contamination-dirt. That's the purpose of the frequency of oil changes. A while back I read a article in Motor Trend or Car and Driver where they took 30 taxis in New York of the same model. Used synthetic oil in some and regular oil in the others. They changed the oil in all at the same interval. They dissassembled some of the engine's in both the synthetic and non synthetic motors and inspected for diffrences in wear and tear. Results were no proven diffrence in wear in non syn vs synthetic. They ended saying that the most important thing was that you use quality filters and change the oil and filter on a regular basis.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jgscott
I heard concerns before about aftermarket filters not have the backflow holes. Not familiar with the filter other than Honda/Acura but alot of other filters do not have those holes.
Also those who said they go extented miles with synthetic oils. No matter what kind of oil you use its still subject to contamination-dirt. That's the purpose of the frequency of oil changes. A while back I read a article in Motor Trend or Car and Driver where they took 30 taxis in New York of the same model. Used synthetic oil in some and regular oil in the others. They changed the oil in all at the same interval. They dissassembled some of the engine's in both the synthetic and non synthetic motors and inspected for diffrences in wear and tear. Results were no proven diffrence in wear in non syn vs synthetic. They ended saying that the most important thing was that you use quality filters and change the oil and filter on a regular basis.
that cant be all too correct because of the worst thing to do to the engine is to start it up since the oil is sitting on the bottom. the synthetic oil leaves a coating on the engine parts that help during cold start-ups so I dont see how synthetic and regular can be the same.

Amsoil is great oil but I dont think its worth the extra money or hassle. IMO

I would love a comparison between using an acura filter and mobil1 10-30 every 5K vs amsoil oil for 25K miles and amsoil filter change every 5K

can anybody honestly think that the recycled filtered oil for 25K will be in better or even equal than the mobil1 sythetic every 5K

newer oil will always be better and changing the filter is always better to do it sooner than later

its common sense here guys come-on
Old 03-10-2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by lou
can anybody honestly think that the recycled filtered oil for 25K will be in better or even equal than the mobil1 sythetic every 5K

newer oil will always be better and changing the filter is always better to do it sooner than later

I wouldn't bet on it either...but you are looking at the extreme & the comparisons aren't exactly fair. I plan to change my oil every 10k...PERIOD. So in my case, what is the best option?

Mobil-1 5w30 = $5.00 a quart in my area
Amsoil 5w30 = $5.85 a quart.

For $0.85 more, I'll go ahead and buy the better one. Now although buying amsoil costs more in shipping, at least I save a little by NOT paying tax. In addition, the oversized M-105 is VERY RARE in my area as well (actually, I was never able to find it), so I might as well get the BEST oil and filter in one shot. Makes perfect sense to me.

Now...If I'm doing 5k oil change intervals (or less)...I probably wouldn't use Mobil-1 OR Amsoil, simply because it's NOT cost effective, and as a matter a fact, at that rate, why even use synthetic at all?

Either way, I can see this as being a circular discussion. WHy not we just find out, what happens to me since I've already been on this plan since day 1. (well not really...I started the synthetic route @ 15k and changed every 7.5k after) Now the question is...who's betting against me and who's in favor that I'll make the 150k+ mark using this plan/product.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Banned

Re: Best oil filter...

What kind of oil filter do u guys use and why? Also where could I purchase it?
the answer to the question is the OEM Acura filter because of its design but wont last as long. If you want to change your oil every 7500 miles than my choice would be Mobil1 M104.

that my choice and Im sticking to it.

and the reason to use synthetic is for better lubrication and better thermal breakdown....hence a smoother revving engine and less engine wear...I dont believe it was ever design for less change frequency,,,that was thrown in to compensate for the price and people have boguht into it
Old 03-10-2004, 05:10 PM
NISMO pwnz j00!

Here's mine

New oil filter innovation by Power Enterprise. Greatly reduce oil contamination to your engine oil by using the most technologically advanced, super duty, micro fined oil filter adopted even by most top Japanese tuner and race teams!

The core reason behind the Mag II filter lies in the center of the filter, features a magnet which traps metallic engine particles from recirculating back into your engine and keep the vital parts of your engine less prone to damage.

* Each filter can last enough for up to 12 months and/or 6,000 miles (10,000km's) of use! (Which ever comes first).
Old 03-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Banned

thats interesting gregshin nice find
Old 03-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What if the materials and debris are non-metalic?
Old 03-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Racer

wont the filter papar in the filter trap the metal particles? There's doesn't really seem to be a need for the magnet.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
That filter reminds me of the drain bolt magnets they sell on ebay... simply, they don't work (not trying to insult you).

No magnet will take the place of a good filter element.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by edgalang
I wouldn't bet on it either...but you are looking at the extreme & the comparisons aren't exactly fair. I plan to change my oil every 10k...PERIOD. ....................

(well not really...I started the synthetic route @ 15k and changed every 7.5k after) Now the question is...who's betting against me and who's in favor that I'll make the 150k+ mark using this plan/product.
I started 10k oil 5k filter changes at 3900 miles. I send my oil to be analyzed every 20k, I'm now at 63k,,, my test results say the oil is at a TBN of 6-7 after 10k, new peto oil starts out at6-8 TBN,, soooo yes for me by using science amsoil 0w30 and sdf44 is the way to go,, I keep my cars for 200k but I might keep this one longer just to continue my experiment.

Lou
you need to re read that taxi test,,, I believe the one I saw used synthetic for extended drain intervals and had less wear than the petro oil with standard drain interval,, ??? might be a different test,,,
Old 03-10-2004, 05:48 PM
NISMO pwnz j00!

sorry forgot to point out that these filters are from japan and im running it on my SR20DET. Power enterprise is top notch stuff. Here is their website

http://www.power-enterprise.co.jp/
Old 03-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Racer

Originally posted by lou
that cant be all too correct because of the worst thing to do to the engine is to start it up since the oil is sitting on the bottom. the synthetic oil leaves a coating on the engine parts that help during cold start-ups so I dont see how synthetic and regular can be the same.

Can't be true based on what info do you have ??? I had both a Nissian Maxima and a Acura Legden that both went over 200k miles without synthetic oil. When have you ever heard of a motor going bad because on cold startups. 2nd your DEAD wrong about the coating. Fact: in Boat engines they tell you not to use synthetic because they sit longer between start ups and synthetic does not stay on parts like reg oil. So go tell every Marine engine manufator they have been wrong for years. How many motors you tested ? You have any facts to list. Cause your wrong about just about everyone here...........

[FONT=courier new]
Old 03-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Banned

^^^ jgscott are you saying that regular motor oil is better or equal to synthetic ???

if you are than I think you need to do some more research cause I dont need to prove it to you its all over the internet. Furthermore I dont know what guys with boats use...who knows maybe regular oil is better on a boat...but I doubt that it holds true to automobiles.

your cars lasted up to 200 K miles...your talking about a Legend and a Maxima two of the better engines in a car...it doesnt surprise me of that and I never said that using regular oil is bad for a car it just not the same or better than synthetic.

why would I say regular oil is not good if Acura is saying to use it...are you implying that they are purposely sabatoging their engines ???
Old 03-12-2004, 08:03 AM
Manny Tranny

Here's my plan after reading everone's post.

I just hit 10000 miles with 2 previous conventional oil changes. I plan to switch to Mobile 1 or Amsoil Synthetic with a Mobile 1 or Amsoil filter.

I also plan to drain and change filter every 6000 miles because I put about 12000 miles on a year. This maintenance plan will also keep me safe with the Acura warrantee because I would hate to get into a battle with them about draining beyond the 7500 mile mark.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

good plan, a little expensive but your car will love it,,, now how about some syn trans fluid,,

http://www.amsoil.com/products/atf.html
Old 03-12-2004, 08:33 AM
Manny Tranny

Originally posted by fender4
good plan, a little expensive but your car will love it,,, now how about some syn trans fluid,,

http://www.amsoil.com/products/atf.html
Expensive? The way I see it, I can save money and have better oil. Most dealers’ charge about $30.00 for oil/filter change. If on regular oil, the total cost would be around $60 seeing you’d change it twice in the 6000 mile interval. I'd only be shelling out $33 for the 6000 mile interval running snythetic.

I think I saw Wal-Mart had a one gallon bottle of Mobile1 5W-30 on sale for $22.95. Add another quart and the cost is $28.00. Add a filter and the total cost is roughly $33.00. Just about what you’d pay a dealer for regular oil/filter.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Manny Tranny

Correcting the information about price and quarts.

Originally posted by stejus
Expensive? The way I see it, I can save money and have better oil. Most dealers’ charge about $30.00 for oil/filter change. If on regular oil, the total cost would be around $60 seeing you’d change it twice in the 6000 mile interval. I'd only be shelling out $24 for the 6000 mile interval running snythetic.

I think I saw Wal-Mart had a 5 quart bottle of Mobile1 5W-30 on sale for $18.88. Add a filter and the total cost is roughly $24.00. This is less than what you’d pay a dealer for regular oil/filter.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

easy easy I was just comparing to what it would cost with 10k oil changes and 5k filter changes,,, I do my own changes and the cost for me is about even with 3k petrol oil and filter changes,, my point is I bet you can do extended intervals....
Old 03-12-2004, 11:24 PM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally i run Mobil 1 filters and oil in my car.

remember Mobil 1 oil is OEM oil in Z06,Benz AMG models, and Lancer Evo.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Banned

Isn't the free one the best??? Cuz that's the only kind I use...
Old 03-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Advanced

The new factory Acura filter will make you laugh. It is tiny.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by sgriffin
The new factory Acura filter will make you laugh. It is tiny.
yep but they make a lot of profit off it by telling people to change it every 3k miles,,
Old 03-15-2004, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Water-S
personally i run Mobil 1 filters and oil in my car.

remember Mobil 1 oil is OEM oil in Z06,Benz AMG models, and Lancer Evo.
That's dealer dependant. In Oakland CA, they replace my parent's ML320 with Mobil-1 0w40, yet in L.A. CA, they use Penzoil 5w-30 synthetic.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Manny Tranny

yep but they make a lot of profit off it by telling people to change it every 3k miles,,
No shit... I just bought one and it is tiny. They charged me $7.25 for it too. I plan to run Mobil1 Syn 5W-30 with an OEM filter for 6000 miles. The OEM filter should be good for this I hope.

How much for a WIX or Mobil1 Filter. Are they about the same in price?
Old 03-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

No shit... I just bought one and it is tiny. They charged me $7.25 for it too. I plan to run Mobil1 Syn 5W-30 with an OEM filter for 6000 miles. The OEM filter should be good for this I hope.

I use a Amsoil sdf44 oversize and change it every 5k miles (for me every 3 months),, I sell them $10.50 incudes tax,, which is a little above wholesale. I buy a Amsoils dealer card ($30) every year anybody can do this for as little as $20. Mobil1 filters are good and cost $11 -$14 plus tax. For your 6k miles either one of these filters is ok,,, I ran a Amsoil sdf20 stock size for 10k miles and had my oil analyzed, the results said to change the filter but the oil was ok. It's easy for me to experiment with my car because I drive 25k miles per year. Right now Amsoil 0w30 tests results are a little better than mobil1 but they are close. Only one company (Amsoil) tells people to quit changing your oil so often and how to do it. Mobil is only considering their profit margines,, just check out your local pump prices and match that with mobils quarterly profits which will be nearly 100% windfall.. $$$

whooo slow down, I have to quit preaching
Old 03-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Banned

stejus buy them online for mush cheaper and the crush washer
Old 03-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Manny Tranny

Originally posted by lou
stejus buy them online for mush cheaper and the crush washer
No crush washer here I picked up an oil boy oil extractor. I changed the oil in my other vehicle and what job it did. It sucked out 6 quarts in about 10 minutes and no mess! I plan to change over to synthetic in a couple of weeks. When i bought the filter at Acura I told the dealer I didn't need the crush washer because I have an oil extractor. He looked at me like I had two heads:P
Old 03-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Banned

yea but using the topsider on the benz is even easier cause the filter is located

Old 03-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

way to cool,,, is that a filter cartrage or a similar filter style that we all use.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:38 PM
Banned

way to cool,,, is that a filter cartrage or a similar filter style that we all use.
here is all you need except the air filter unless your changing that also

Old 03-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

ok fess up what was the cost,,, is that oem stuff or after market,, Is that not the air filter there also ??,,