Best Buy or Circuit City for XM Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Buy or Circuit City for XM Radio?

I just got back from Circuit City and Best Buy inquiring about XM Satellite radio. Normally I prefer doing business with CC, but the guy at BB seemed a lot more interested and willing to help with what I was asking about.
CC told me the install would be $75, plus he tried to sell me this cheap-looking display (for lack of a better word) that has been discontinued, but they still have a few left.
The young man at BB showed me what all my options were as far as the actual radio, then proceeded to tell me that Acuras are more difficult to install aftermarket items on because of fitment, etc. He told me that installation would start at $100, and I asked him what it would cost in the worst-case scenario. He came back with a quote of up to $200 for install. I then asked him if they could guarantee that there wouldn't be any rattles or squeeks because right now the car has none. He told me everything would be fine. Now I don't mind paying for excellent work, but at the same time I don't want to get ripped either.
Can fellow members offer some insight on which way to go? I also need advice on which display to go with. I will only be using it in the car. I have a nice 'puter and speakers that I can listen to XM online while at home.
Lastly, I need to let everyone know that I'm a 51 y/o guy that is a complete and total electronic techno-doofus. I'm really at the mercy of this forum and the clerks at BB and CC.
Now I know how my customers feel when they come in asking about wine.
I'm very gratefull for any input you good folks can share.
Jim
Old 02-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Intermediate

ive worked at both cc and bb as in installer and i can say that cc installers get trained alot better. on the other hand it really vary from store to store. i personally would go with cc. you just need to find a better salesman
Old 02-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Personally, I would avoid both. I do custom car electronics work and I can't tell you how many people I have had come from best buy with terrible install stories. Then I need to fix the work. One thing though, they warranty their work. I won't say their installs didn't work, but their not the best set ups for long term purposes.

Where do you live? My opinion, find a well known, professional audio shop. Some of them can be deceiving so do some homework online if you can. Buy the XM online (it will ALWAYS be cheaper online) and have the audio shop install it. I would guess, they charge you $100 for top notch work.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:01 AM
Intermediate

mom and pop car audio stores can either be: amazingly good, or amazingly shit, just like you ive gotten people comming in with horror stories from "professional" shops. it really really depens shop to shop. if you can find a reputable shop then go for it.....
Old 02-07-2006, 04:01 AM
In your Face Like Noxzema

Come to Best Buy I work there....
Old 02-07-2006, 05:14 AM
Whats Good? CL

i also work at best buy and i work in the mobile audio dep't and not once have we ever had custom work for a xm sattelite radio..........doesnt make since..theres really nothing to do....whoever told you this at best buy..just didnt feel like putting time in......or just wanted to "rip you off" sooo...........
Old 02-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Cruisin'

Forget XM, hop on Sirius. They got Howard Stern and Bubba the love Sponge.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Jim, this kind of stuff is so easy to do. Personally, I'm certain you could save yourself a grip of $$$ and it would be easy by just using your resources (AZ??). I would just do it myself but thats my opinion. I guess I just refuse to let someone else work on my car unless it's absolutely neccessary. I guess I if had to choose, I'd say CC would be a better choice. However, my friend had this Eclipse many years ago... They installed an Alpine 3 disc in-dash changer for him... One night he was working (delivering pizza) and when he came out of the shop to make a delivery, his car was up in flames. Reason you ask? Poor CD player instalation. CC paid for the damages.

BTW, completely off subject and I don't mean to your thread but as soon as you said...
Originally Posted by Z1/CL
...The young man...
I knew you were an older guy. Just as an FYI, I can't speak for everyone but I take offense to that when someone says it or directs it at me. However, you did not offend me by any means just so you know. I just find it offensive when someone older than me says "Young man, yada, yada, yada.....". Makes me want to respond with an "...old man" or "... old lady". I know, it's not very nice. But what can I say, I take offense to it.

Sorry, I've never really had the chance to voice my opinion on that until now. Just though I'd share those thoughts with a well aged member!

Good luck with your install!
Old 02-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Intermediate

Many Thanks for everyones' replies.
nongque, No Thanks. I'm set on XM. You can have all the Stern and Bubba you want. The main two reasons I'm going with XM is Fox News Radio and Major League Baseball.

chriskh, believe me my friend, I mean no disrespect by stating "the young man". Actually it's quite the opposite. Today's cars are so much more complicated than they were when I was in my 20s. The young crowd today truly amazes me with their knowledge and grasp of modern technology.
There is NO WAY I would attempt an install of the XM unit on my own. Like I told the gentleman at BB, I don't want any squeeks or rattles after this set-up is complete. I can guarantee you that if I were to attempt this there would be pieces left over AND squeeks and rattles.
I don't care what it costs for the install. Period. I just don't want to have to return the car and argue with the installer time and time again. Like I told my wife the other day.................."If it doesn't have two wheels or a cork in it, I don't know a whole lot about it".
Old 02-07-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Gotcha! I know what you mean though. I'm truely an air-cooled VW enthusiast myself and the newer cars are WAY more complicated than those things! Too bad you don't live in CO or I'd do it for you.

Originally Posted by Z1/CL
If it doesn't have two wheels or a cork in it, I don't know a whole lot about it".

I love that line!

If you have a Soundtrack (I think they just changed their name though), I would recomend them to do the install. They do good work and they know their stuff.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nongque
Forget XM, hop on Sirius. They got Howard Stern and Bubba the love Sponge.

WERD!!!!

XM is alright...but Sirius ROCKS!