Beginnings of the MOD BUG

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beginnings of the MOD BUG

Wife is going to hate me. Haven't owned the car two months yet but already bought cltypeslow's Racing Hart C2's. I told my wife I wasn't going to buy new tires for them when they get here but even she knows that I have issues with stock. First thing I did was remove my intake resonator. That sounded nice actually but I just ordered the CT Ice Box. Can't wait till that gets here either.

Anyone upgrade from the foam filter on it btw?

I have to put those wheels on within 24 hours of getting him here even if just to ride on them to work a couple of days and put them away until spring. I cannot stop this mod bug. Trying to stop myself from buying a full catback.

I guess the only reason she's not tripping is because I gave her $1500 when she traded in her 06 BMW this past Saturday on a new one but this time it's loaded.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:27 AM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
A'zine strikes again!!

Welcome to the club.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
you should drop it before the rims and the cat-back. stock height is
Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,253 Likes on 4,870 Posts
Drop, headers, tint.

Dont worry about the foam filter in the Icebox. It flows really well.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Came with Comptech springs when I bought it (the black ones, not the silver ones everyone was talking about for a long time). Headers, yes but those will have to wait till my work starts giving quarterly bonuses again lol.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Drop, headers, tint.

Dont worry about the foam filter in the Icebox. It flows really well.
Good to know about the foam filter because I was going to replace it *thinking it wasn't too good*
Old 11-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by madcaps
A'zine strikes again!!

Welcome to the club.
The poor mans club! This weekend, my buddy is building my custom sub box for 2 12's that I got sitting in the garage (also just bought those)
Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 PM
DFW AREA,

what year is the car?

if 03. then get accord fogs (03-05 coupe) they will help alot if still on stock h.i.d

&& if dont like the front end look. then get a lip (if dont already have one)
- tl lip
- prelude lip
- ronjon

edit: the fogs looks pretty good if you can cut with a dremel
Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by duyx817
what year is the car?

if 03. then get accord fogs (03-05 coupe) they will help alot if still on stock h.i.d

&& if dont like the front end look. then get a lip (if dont already have one)
- tl lip
- prelude lip
- ronjon

edit: the fogs looks pretty good if you can cut with a dremel
Yea I have an 03 6 speed with navi. I do want some fogs though so I'll look into the accord fogs (thanks!). Body is stock and I do want a lip but can't do a lip without side skirts so I think before the end of 2010 I can pull the trigger on that. Wish we had a simple lip addition though honestly; the carbon fiber lips they make for the STI are pretty chunky IMO.

Don't flame me but I can't do the ronjon lip. Looks like a plow add on for a pickup
Old 11-11-2009, 04:37 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
foam filter is better than a k&n or oem filter. flows better and cleans better.

forget the catback for now, get the underdrive crank pulley. ull lover the way the car pulls. especially how ur 6spd. i put on the oe size light weight crank pulley and it was amazing. now im getting the underdrive.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajca
now im getting the underdrive.
now i got them on my desk waiting for install
Old 11-11-2009, 04:41 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

do it asap, ull regret waiting.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
better to mod the car earlier and have longer to enjoy the mods rather than vice versa. that's why all of my mods have been done in the last 6 months so I can drive my car from 100000kms till it's DONE,, modded up the ass. :-)

I do love the quality of the mods for our cars. Especially P2R products.

Way better than the crap they had for the ford probe (probelm I called it) my 1st car
Old 11-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 668 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by stlswagger
Yea I have an 03 6 speed with navi. I do want some fogs though so I'll look into the accord fogs (thanks!). Body is stock and I do want a lip but can't do a lip without side skirts so I think before the end of 2010 I can pull the trigger on that. Wish we had a simple lip addition though honestly; the carbon fiber lips they make for the STI are pretty chunky IMO.

Don't flame me but I can't do the ronjon lip. Looks like a plow add on for a pickup
hey i agree with on that. get the tl lip kit and get it molded. thats what i got coming.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Mod bug's a bitch aint it? Wait until you do some go-fast mods you'll be really hooked then! Anyway since your a 6MT like me! Yay! You can do some pretty cheap mods that will enhance the shifting of your clutch, and gears. They inlcude:

NRG engine torque dampers
($150~)- They replace the crappy factory shock absorber type dampers that are on the front and rear of your motor. By replacing these you will have a much easier time putting the power down to the wheels (less wheel hop) Thread here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=nrg+torque

Clutch dampening device bypass
($45~)- There is a "kink" in the factory clutch line to keep the car shifting smoothly. However smoothness can be achieved without it. But when quick shifting or "ripping it" the clutch seems to lag in between. Swap out the stock line and the U shaped "kink" and your done. Thread here: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/everyday-mod-482312/

Remove the Slave cylinder check valve
(free!)- Another component installed at the factory to keep grandma Betty from bucking the car when she doesn't shift right. lol. Not needed frees up more performance from your clutch. Thread here:https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/113-removal-slave-cylinder-check-valve-734300/

Change your Manual Tranny fluid
($35~)-Swap out that regular old gear oil from your trans and upgrade to either the new honda mtf, or the gm syncromesh, or royal purple etc. Thread here:https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/where-does-tranny-fluid-go-6-speed-tranny-pics-487669/

Pspec short shifter, and corsport bushing combo is also a nice upgrade but a lil more pricey. Also you could swap out that stock knob for a nicer looking one or whatever. The possibilties are out there... Aren't you glad you bought a 6speed?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:59 AM
DFW AREA,

i feel yah,
Old 11-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Instructor

Great info guys. When I first joined, my first post someone gave me pics of his CLS6 with the S2000 shift nob. That looked nice so I'll do that for sure.

I've been looking at the RSA unorthodox racing polished ultra street underdrive crank pulley. Any opinions on that or recommendations for another manufacturer? I know, keep searching lol. But I think I search and read these forums more than I work. It has become an obssesion.

Manual Tranny fluid yes. Gonna be getting some gm syncromesh this weekend. Yesterday I bought new cabin filters for $20 bucks at Autozone and when I went to install, I had to cut the tabs on the cover which meant that the stock ones had been in there since 2003 and were freaking nasty as hell.

I think I need to buy a kit to do the tranny fluid but on my list to work on in the garage with my 6 year old son this weekend. Yes, you start'em young and they'll play forever!

NRG torque dampers...YUMMY. Oh man, if christmas wasn't next month, I'd be shopping again this weekend. Glad I get paid 3 times in Jan and hopefully my work will actually give bonuses since q3 was the first time we didn't get the quarterly bonus. If I get my bonus then that's 4 times being paid in Jan and everything listed that you guys suggested will be done. Wanted to build a deck in our backyard but the wife can wait lol
Old 11-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Great info guys. When I first joined, my first post someone gave me pics of his CLS6 with the S2000 shift nob. That looked nice so I'll do that for sure.

I've been looking at the RSA unorthodox racing polished ultra street underdrive crank pulley. Any opinions on that or recommendations for another manufacturer? I know, keep searching lol. But I think I search and read these forums more than I work. It has become an obssesion.

Manual Tranny fluid yes. Gonna be getting some gm syncromesh this weekend. Yesterday I bought new cabin filters for $20 bucks at Autozone and when I went to install, I had to cut the tabs on the cover which meant that the stock ones had been in there since 2003 and were freaking nasty as hell.

I think I need to buy a kit to do the tranny fluid but on my list to work on in the garage with my 6 year old son this weekend. Yes, you start'em young and they'll play forever!

NRG torque dampers...YUMMY. Oh man, if christmas wasn't next month, I'd be shopping again this weekend. Glad I get paid 3 times in Jan and hopefully my work will actually give bonuses since q3 was the first time we didn't get the quarterly bonus. If I get my bonus then that's 4 times being paid in Jan and everything listed that you guys suggested will be done. Wanted to build a deck in our backyard but the wife can wait lol
i say go with the option racing underdrive pulley. plenty of people on the cl/tl side are running this. its the same as the UR pulley only a shit load cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-02...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

btw theres a supercharger in the BM for sale for $2k. figured id help that mod bug out lol.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Tempting but I bought cltypeslow's wheels this week and 4 new tires. That's the most I'm "at liberty" to spend according to the wife lol

I'll probably buy the UR pulley before the end of the year. I have my friend building my custom box for two 12's and bought two subs from him so I'm feeling tapped out at least for this month
Old 11-11-2009, 03:44 PM

My mod list in order:

-CT Icebox
-Headunit
-Corsport shifter bushings
-P2R throttle body spacer (didnt notice a difference, and later removed)
-Removed the clutch dampening device and replaced rubber line with SS line from 03-06 Accord
-Trim black-out tape, but didnt like the look (I thought it cheapened the car)
-Subwoofer and amp
-CT rear sway bar and poly bushings
-NRG engine dampers (actually helped wheel hop, surprising me)
-Neuspeed front strut tower bar
-PSpec short shifter (fell in love with the car again after I installed it)
-Blue LED dash (hated it)
-K-Sports (love 'em)
-New black aluminum volume knob for my radio
-18" black Legends
-Red LED dash (love it)
-Option underdrive pulley
-Poly-filled the mounts (made a difference, but only a band-aid fix)
-RB front slotted rotors (not bad, but this car really needs a BBK)
-Shop manual
-TL manifold
-19" Devotions
-Drop Stop (used to be a vendor, cool product)
-Moog front lower ball joints
-Ingalls front upper control arms
-Clear LED spoiler light
-CCFL trunk lights

Theres more, I just dont remember
Old 11-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Instructor

My mod list in order:

-CT Icebox
-Headunit
-Corsport shifter bushings
-P2R throttle body spacer (didnt notice a difference, and later removed)
-Removed the clutch dampening device and replaced rubber line with SS line from 03-06 Accord
-Trim black-out tape, but didnt like the look (I thought it cheapened the car)
-Subwoofer and amp
-CT rear sway bar and poly bushings
-NRG engine dampers (actually helped wheel hop, surprising me)
-Neuspeed front strut tower bar
-PSpec short shifter (fell in love with the car again after I installed it)
-Blue LED dash (hated it)
-K-Sports (love 'em)
-New black aluminum volume knob for my radio
-18" black Legends
-Red LED dash (love it)
-Option underdrive pulley
-Poly-filled the mounts (made a difference, but only a band-aid fix)
-RB front slotted rotors (not bad, but this car really needs a BBK)
-Shop manual
-TL manifold
-19" Devotions
-Drop Stop (used to be a vendor, cool product)
-Moog front lower ball joints
-Ingalls front upper control arms
-Clear LED spoiler light
-CCFL trunk lights

Theres more, I just dont remember
DAYUM that's an impressive list I've liked your ride since I first saw pics. Did you get that set of Devotions? I was going to buy them at first then the C2's came around so I acted fast and bought those.

Is there a DIY on the red dash?

Man, I'm going to have to keep moving forward just to catch up to you guys and even then I'll still be behind
Old 11-11-2009, 07:07 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

I just went str8 for the performance.. I'll try to remember the order

The plague began late April of 2009:

Injen intake (traded my old sub and speakers out of the Probe), Option UR pulley (ebay), gatorback belts, Acura dark wood grain steering wheel, (180CAD with duties and taxes, thanks to ebay!), P2R tb spacer, P2R Plenums, Progress RSB, Moog links, Tranny #2, Core racing Image rims, P2R thermo gaskets (3), DEI header wrap, used CT headers, EBAY grill, carbon fiber acura logo, and my latest acquisition is winter tires and wheels. got myself a good deal on them.

Not to mention all the service when i got the car and, blah blah blah

Oh yea and DBA rotors for the Front and EBC rear, and Adaptive 1 pads, plus I got a CT FSB and moog links in the garage. lol

I'm gonna slow down now tho

Last edited by CL-S progression 01; 11-11-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Instructor

^ nice shopping list. I'll be shopping again REAL soon lol
Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

i got a whole shit load of parts in my house. easily over 1.5k. all waiting for next year
Old 11-11-2009, 11:21 PM
6speed

a kit for tranny fluid? i did mine recently. its pretty simple to do just make sure you make use of the bleeder screw when filling it back up again. there is a thread around here somewhere about the tranny fluid bubbling up and leaking out because the dealer didnt use the bleeder screw. i think it was jproys car that it happened to.

oh the torque dampers are pretty cool. they work well. but if you do get them just make sure your retighten them every now and then. they only cost around $80 to $120 last time i checked...i had mine modified with the screw way of doing it instead of using the mounting brackets they come with. good luck with the car. its good to see another local 6 speed.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 AM

DAYUM that's an impressive list I've liked your ride since I first saw pics. Did you get that set of Devotions? I was going to buy them at first then the C2's came around so I acted fast and bought those.

Is there a DIY on the red dash?

Man, I'm going to have to keep moving forward just to catch up to you guys and even then I'll still be behind
I was looking at those Devotions for my brothers Accord. Ive got a set already, but I may try to sell them to him or in the BM. I havent decided.

Theres tons of shit that I left out. Some because I forgot, some because.......well, I just dont want to tell you guys yet

I bought the car in August of 2008, and the mod bug bit me exactly 5 days after I bought it. I told myself I wouldnt do it, I wanted to concentrate on my other vehicles, but it just doesnt work like that

Originally Posted by Rajca
i got a whole shit load of parts in my house. easily over 1.5k. all waiting for next year
Sheeeeiiit, join the club. My room looks like a warehouse, and the garage is over-run with parts. Ive got about $4k worth of parts for the CL sitting around. Some I'll use, some I won't. Thats not including the motorcycle parts (about $6k, but I stopped counting) and the Civic parts (motor alone is worth 7k, but I dont count the rest).

In retrospect, if I could I wouldn't do a damn thing to the CL. I would've left it stock. Ive already poured way too much money into it and theres no way to get half of it back. With the money I spent on the CL, I could've finished my other car and bought that damn Triumph Ive had my eye on for over a year.

Oh well, you live and you learn. Its been a fun ride though

Last edited by civicdrivr; 11-12-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by jl03CLS
oh the torque dampers are pretty cool. they work well. but if you do get them just make sure your retighten them every now and then. they only cost around $80 to $120 last time i checked...i had mine modified with the screw way of doing it instead of using the mounting brackets they come with. good luck with the car. its good to see another local 6 speed.
I put thread tape on the bolts and the actual damper to keep it tight. It hasn't budged in over 5 months.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jl03CLS
a kit for tranny fluid? i did mine recently. its pretty simple to do just make sure you make use of the bleeder screw when filling it back up again. there is a thread around here somewhere about the tranny fluid bubbling up and leaking out because the dealer didnt use the bleeder screw. i think it was jproys car that it happened to.

"kit" I read on some site that there was some type of pump. I don't remember where I saw it but I was reading that when I was originally going to buy a TL Type S (until I read about the tranny issues)
Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Instructor

My wife already has super nice wheels for her car just sitting because I told her to take her car to a tire shop and have her stock ones remounted but no, she drove that shit until the negative camber on those 19x9.5's killed the rear tires. Now that she has another bmw (new as of saturday), I'm not touching the thing this time. Last time I was trying to work on both at the same time but freaking bmw's are expensive as hell for parts. Now I'm selfish and it's all about me and my ride
Old 11-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Shot out to Excelerate. I ordered my Ice Box Tuesday night and it's already local and "out for delivery" with ups. I had ordered Weather Tech mats from freaking car-stuff.com on Sunday and have called to get a status on my order for the last 3 days since they already billed my card and kept getting the runaround so I had to force the issue to cancel that order this morning. Customer service went from we are still checking our 7th warehouse to claiming it was shipped but they didn't have tracking information and I should send them back if they arrive. How could you not have tracking if you know exactly where people are looking. Sucks because they had the cheapest price on those mats. 56 bucks with tax and shipping. Anyone know of a better all weather mat for the CL that's made to fit? If not, I'll just spend more and order directly through Weather Tech or find another wholesaler.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:46 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

speaking of bad camber.... can anyone tell me why the BMW X5 like 2005s and down with the BIG OEM wheels.. all of them have not adjusted the camber. AS in, the back tires are friggin slanted outwards (the bottom lip is further out than the top). i dunno if that's negative or positive camber. But I do know that fucks the tires up royally and I've seen it on at least.. at least 20 BMW x5's...

Maybe it's just my stupid rich ass hood and these ppl dunno jack all about what should and shouldn't be. all they know how to do is spend more money. That'll FIX IT
Old 11-12-2009, 03:49 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

lol and civicdrivr... i said the same thing... i'm not gonna touch the cl-s is already a good car and I should be happy with that...

Haaaaaa phat chance... intake was the beginning and then it felt OH SO GOOD to drive the car with that sexay vtec symphony. and that's the beginning of my now empty wallet. lol
Old 11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
wut.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-photograph-gallery-53/lippstuhs-car-build-494932/
Old 11-12-2009, 04:24 PM

I dont think its fair to compare any other CL on the face of the earth to Phils car.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:54 PM
wut.

lol
Old 11-12-2009, 06:09 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

i put red locktite on my nrg engine dampner
Old 11-12-2009, 09:26 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

why is that CL so amazing agian?

ronjohns car he sold looked better IMO.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:23 AM
6speed

I put thread tape on the bolts and the actual damper to keep it tight. It hasn't budged in over 5 months.
I dont know why I didnt think about doing something like that. Im pretty sure I heard it fall out too I just didnt know what it was at the time. some bum off the street must be enjoying his shiny paper weight now
Old 11-13-2009, 12:25 AM
6speed

"kit" I read on some site that there was some type of pump. I don't remember where I saw it but I was reading that when I was originally going to buy a TL Type S (until I read about the tranny issues)
i forgot to mulitquote....but yeah i think all you need is a pair of jacks, a 1/2 inch extension, and a 8 or a 10mm socket for the change. pretty neat how you dont need a socket to take out the drain plug and the top part.

Quick Reply: Beginnings of the MOD BUG