Barely beat 02 Bullitt

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001 | 03:18 PM
Intermediate

Barely beat 02 Bullitt

Well I was comming home from the grocery store (thanksgiving supplies) so I got on the free way. Then I saw a Bullitt Mustang zoom past me (freeway was deserted) so I shift into SS then shifted down before floring it. I slowly started to pull on him then I spot a very mild turn so we both enter going in at around 130 I kinda let off the gas and prepare to apply the brakes if neccessary but the Mustang just continues but luckily he gets a little squirly so I floor it again then zoom right past we continued for a while longer before I shut it down at 140. A little excitement before thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2001 | 03:59 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

what were you driving? The lex or the cls?
Old 11-25-2001 | 02:33 AM
Intermediate

Cl-S of course, my IS would of got smoked like a pipe.
Old 11-25-2001 | 10:29 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

nice kill, those things have alot of torque. Did you get a chance to see if it was a auto or manual?
Old 11-25-2001 | 03:33 PM
Intermediate

Im pretty sure the car was stick, cause I could the engine bog between shifts so im almost sure of a manual.
Old 11-25-2001 | 05:25 PM
Advanced

Good kill!

hahaha, poor mustang, one day they will learn that they need mods to hang. Until then, people like us will just point and laugh at their ignorant drivers, who think they bought a fast car!
Old 11-25-2001 | 06:08 PM
Racer

Good kill. The Bullitt costs about $36K. It has better suspension, transmission, and brakes than the GT. I think it would probably beat the CL-S from 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile. I'm sure the headers helped you pull away at high speed. One of my co-workers just got an automatic 2001 GT convertible. I haven't raced him yet but I think I can beat him. We'll see.
Old 11-25-2001 | 07:01 PM
6 speed...

Originally posted by frederix
The Bullitt costs about $36K.
the bullitt stickers at 26,830 and maxes out at 27,380 with the mach 460 stereo.

even the cobra convertible, with every available factory option, maxes out at 33,825.
Old 11-25-2001 | 08:25 PM
Racer

Oops... i meant $26K
Old 11-26-2001 | 09:26 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Mr Turbo Audi
Good kill!

hahaha, poor mustang, one day they will learn that they need mods to hang. Until then, people like us will just point and laugh at their ignorant drivers, who think they bought a fast car!
And your car runs what without mods (or with your mods for that matter) ???

A good buddy of mine in a bone stock Bullit (which btw is only an 01 model and only manual) ran a 13.3 here in Houston.

As for the ignorant driver drivel...no comment. People on this board know that this particular Stanger knows his shit and need not respond to that.

Super Lazy Man - sounds like you had a good run
Old 11-26-2001 | 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

i read somewhere that they also have more aggressive gearing.

Originally posted by frederix
Good kill. The Bullitt costs about $36K. It has better suspension, transmission, and brakes than the GT. I think it would probably beat the CL-S from 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile. I'm sure the headers helped you pull away at high speed. One of my co-workers just got an automatic 2001 GT convertible. I haven't raced him yet but I think I can beat him. We'll see.
Old 11-26-2001 | 01:24 PM
Banned

No, Mike...the Bullitt, Cobra and GT all have the same gearing stock:

1st - 3.37
2nd - 1.99
3rd - 1.33
4th - 1.00
5th - 0.67
Diff - 3.27

However, because the Bullitt makes more low end power than the GT, it could be characterized as being less woefully undergeared than the GT. ( Both need at least 3.73 rear gear if not 4.10, IMO )

Performance enhancements of the Bullitt over the GT include:

Twin 57 mm bore throttle body
Cast aluminum intake manifold
High flow mufflers (mostly for sound here)
Mildly underdriven water pump and alternator pulleys
Tokico struts and shocks (non-adjustable, though)
Lower springs with slightly higher rates
Thicker sway Bars
Subframe connectors
13 inch Cobra brakes

The Bullitt lists as only 5 hp more than the GT (265 vs 260), but "area under the curve" is much better with typical dynos for the Bullitt having 10-12 more rwhp and rwtq in much of the 2k-4k range. From what I have seen, the Bullitt is a solid .2 quicker than the GT in equal circumstances.
Old 11-26-2001 | 01:25 PM
Advanced

And your car runs what without mods (or with your mods for that matter) ??? A good buddy of mine in a bone stock Bullit (which btw is only an 01 model and only manual) ran a 13.3 here in Houston.

As for the ignorant driver drivel...no comment. People on this board know that this particular Stanger knows his shit and need not respond to that.
Bone stock my car ran a 14.1 @ 93mph @ 2900ft elevation.

I havent had a chance to run my car @ sea level with the mods I have now. But you can make an educated guess what my car will run with downpipes, open exhaust, chip (17lbs) race gas, bypass valves, oh and 75 shots of the laughing gas stuff :P
Old 11-26-2001 | 01:36 PM
Banned

I havent had a chance to run my car @ sea level with the mods I have now. But you can make an educated guess what my car will run with downpipes, open exhaust, chip (17lbs) race gas, bypass valves, oh and 75 shots of the laughing gas stuff :P
Sounds good, that Audi is quicker than I thought. I wasn't trying to bust your balls too much, just responding to the "mustang needing mods to hang part" / "thought they bought a fast car" stuff.

I really have no idea what it would run with the added boost. I'd wager high 11s.

Care to take a guess what a Cobra would do with 17 psi, though?
Old 11-26-2001 | 02:23 PM
6 speed...

Originally posted by Pull_T

Care to take a guess what a Cobra would do with 17 psi, though?
uhhhh... explode?

(kidding! )
Old 11-26-2001 | 02:26 PM
6 speed...

93 mph seems awfully low for a 14.1 second run...
Old 11-26-2001 | 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by tankmonkey

93 mph seems awfully low for a 14.1 second run...
I'd guess he'd need a 1.85-1.90 short time to run those numbers.
Old 11-26-2001 | 03:30 PM
6 speed...

I'd guess he'd need a 1.85-1.90 short time to run those numbers.
I suspect the quattro setup would get you decent 60 foots, but the terminal speed still seems low for lower 14s.

maybe the combination of altitude, turbocharging, and the quattro has that effect...
Old 11-26-2001 | 06:20 PM
Banned

I suspect the quattro setup would get you decent 60 foots, but the terminal speed still seems low for lower 14s.

maybe the combination of altitude, turbocharging, and the quattro has that effect...
That is a reasonable assumption....the quattro allows for hard launches but at the high end...it lags....problem with fast spooling turbos...they run out of steam at the high end.
My friend's Galant runs 12.5 @105 mph....with 1.5 60' times...so go figure...although 17 psi si a bit much for the Audi stock turbo....don't they max at 14-15psi?
Old 11-26-2001 | 07:19 PM
Advanced

For the record the mph was close to 94 , it was like 93.9mph. At the track i've seen cars run mid 13's @ 95mph. Its all in the first 60'.

For the run, I removed the spare and tossed in some race gas for that run. My 60 time was around 1.82. Now with the chip and downpipes, the turbos keep pulling up til 6800rpm, then it takes a shit. In first gear the rpm would rise so fast, if I dont shift quickly, it will hit the fuel cut off and it feels like I hit the brakes.

Pull_T:

A cobra running 17lbs on a stock motor would put out some serious hp, depending on turbos and setup. But more than likely it will grenade before you reach the half way mark in the 1/4 :P

Hate to say it, but mustangs do need mods to hang with most cars out in the streets today. Until ford shapes up and starts dumping bigger motors in their cars, they will always picked on by other cars. Around here, the majority of the people who buy mustang GT's think its a fast car. They slap on an off-road pipe with flowmasters and expect to mop up the streets. If you go on the new altimas website, there people on there picking on GT mustangs!

Dont get me wrong, i have nothing but the utmost respect for modded mustangs. I just think there wimps from the factory.
Old 11-27-2001 | 08:39 AM
Banned

Hate to say it, but mustangs do need mods to hang with most cars out in the streets today. Until ford shapes up and starts dumping bigger motors in their cars, they will always picked on by other cars. Around here, the majority of the people who buy mustang GT's think its a fast car. They slap on an off-road pipe with flowmasters and expect to mop up the streets. If you go on the new altimas website, there people on there picking on GT mustangs!

Dont get me wrong, i have nothing but the utmost respect for modded mustangs. I just think there wimps from the factory.
Put down the pipe, man.

A stock "Wimp" GT, Bullitt or Cobra will torch your S4 and (sorry, let me stop laughing), the new Altima.

They need no mods "to hang with most cars out on the street".

You run a 14.1, I have driven all of the following BONE STOCK Mustangs with the following results:

98 Cobra: 13.70@102.41 (My vehicle)
00 GT: 13.87@100.XX
01 Bullitt: 13.80@100.XX
99 Cobra: 13.75@101.XX

Other better driver with experience in each ones own car can do much better than that even. I've seen as low as 13.3 - 98 Cobra, 13.2 - 01 Cobra, 13.3 - 01 Bullitt, 13.5 - 00 GT.

Am I suggesting that the Mustang is the fastest thing on the road? No, there is plenty out there that beat it stock for stock.
Old 11-27-2001 | 12:56 PM
Advanced

Pull_T

If new stock mustangs GT/Bullitt, Cobra's could pull those times at the track that I was racing on, then ford will sell A LOT more mustangs.

But your in texas your at sea level. And no, stock GT mustangs/Bullits will not beat me, Cobras will, but not GT/Bullits. I've humbled a lot of stock GT's from 96 - 01. Easy prey for me when I was stock. Now that I am modified, I just laugh when they rev.

At LACR (track that I raced on), the common times for a stock GT mustang are 14.6-15.2 That is considered fast too. Last week, there was a few stock LS1 having a hard time hitting mid 14's. Pretty sad ehh? well.. what can you do, its at 3000ft elevation and dry desert air. You cant compare Texas times to So Cal times, you should know better

Again, mustangs need mods to hang. My friend who owns a 95 GTS mustang thinks like you do. He believes adding 4.10's to his car will give him the advantage over me in the 1/4th mile. He is so confident he wagered $100.00, oh well, Im $100.00 richer now Its fine by me that mustang owners think there cars are fast.

By the way, how fast have you've seen the newer cobras run? The 2001 Cobras..

Overhere, I've seen them run consistent 14.8 @ 97 mph. Better luck next time Ford
Old 11-27-2001 | 01:35 PM
Banned

Hey, I never said that SoCal'ers could drive, I feel bad that those guys driving the mustangs to such shitty times. Just because some numbnuts form SoCal drives a bad time doesn't mean that is what a car is capable of.

OK, lets say that at LACR (which is 2700 feet) an 01 Cobra capable of running 13.4 here in Houston is only good for 14.8 because of the altitude (which I don't really believe).

So your car would run 12.76 here in Houston then, if I use the same relative correction factor. Right? Wrong. Let's use the NHRA standard correction factors of 1.0339 and .9679 (2700 foot track) Your 14.1 @ 93.9 becomes 13.6 @ 97.0. Good enough to be right with stock GTs, Bullitts, et al. (That's assuming your 14.1 @ 93.9 is legit). Stock GTs and Bullitts right equal with your modded S4 and would smoke a stock S4 and you say "mustangs need mods to hang" ?

One thing you mentioned in your post is the dry desert air....dry is good in case you didn't know, we have humidity down here which makes a typical 90 degree 90% humidity day here almost as much a handicap as your elevation does out there.

"At LACR (track that I raced on), the common times for a stock GT mustang are 14.6-15.2 That is considered fast too. "

- Which is it? Are those common times or fast times?

'95 GTS...not really germaine to this discussion, completely different motor than newer GTs. Bone stock, the 5.0s are not that fast, it's the whole cheap to mod thing that is has going for it.

Go away, Shaka-like troll...
Old 11-27-2001 | 07:27 PM
Advanced

Hey, I never said that SoCal'ers could drive, I feel bad that those guys driving the mustangs to such shitty times. Just because some numbnuts form SoCal drives a bad time doesn't mean that is what a car is capable of.
LOL, typical texan talkin here. You think just because people outside of texas i.e So Cal, get shitty times automatically mean they cant drive?

I've been to LACR a lot more than you have. Everytime i am there, there are always a lot of GT mustangs. Modified and bone stock. The times I posted are average times for being stock. You really cant use the correction factor for this race track, because most of the time, they are not very accurate. My friend in his modded LS1 camaro runs consistant 13.7 one week, and consistent 14.3 the next week. Very weird track indeed.

So your car would run 12.76 here in Houston then, if I use the same relative correction factor. Right? Wrong. Let's use the NHRA standard correction factors of 1.0339 and .9679 (2700 foot track) Your 14.1 @ 93.9 becomes 13.6 @ 97.0. Good enough to be right with stock GTs, Bullitts, et al. (That's assuming your 14.1 @ 93.9 is legit).
If you plan to talk a lot of smack, at least learn what you are talking about. Everyone knows that force induction cars are not heavily effected by elevation as N/A cars. So that takes care of your lame NHRA factor. So your little 98 Slobra @ LACR will at best run low to mid 14's, but then again... what did you expect?

Stock GTs and Bullitts right equal with your modded S4 and would smoke a stock S4 and you say "mustangs need mods to hang" ?
Again talking out of your ass. Why dont you go on mustang forums and LS1.com forums and tell them how a stock rustang GT will equal a Modded S4 and let them educate and laugh at your silly statement. Btw, reminder... 14.1 was my *STOCK* times, I have no times for my mods as of yet.

You can sit in Texas all day long and shit up a bunch of lame correction factors and "assume" all you want. Truth of the matter is, GT mustangs and Bullit mustangs will always be slow until you modify them. :'(

"At LACR (track that I raced on), the common times for a stock GT mustang are 14.6-15.2 That is considered fast too. "
- Which is it? Are those common times or fast times?
... Deep Sigh... Let me figure out how to explain this and try not to insult you at the same time.... a ha! here goes nothing.

14.6 = Fast GT mustangs
15.2 = Slow GT mustangs
Somewhere in the middle of the two times = Average.

There, that wasnt so bad

maybe, I should email this thread to my friends with heavily modified GT / Cobra mustangs and let them educate you further about LACR and So. Cal climate.

You of all people should realize that it is pointless to prove to the rest of society how fast stock GT mustangs are, because were not all as stupid as you might think.

Again, lb for lb Stock GT mustangs are a slow POS. Admit it and down!
Old 11-27-2001 | 11:20 PM
It's Go-Time.

Again, lb for lb Stock GT mustangs are a slow POS.
That's un-called for. Not only are your posts biased, they are fucking idiotic. Have you been banned from any other Forums, so that's why you post your shit here? Get the fuck out.
Old 11-27-2001 | 11:30 PM
Advanced

That's un-called for. Not only are your posts biased, they are fucking idiotic. Have you been banned from any other Forums, so that's why you post your shit here? Get the fuck out.
Waaa wwaaa waaa! :'( Quit your crying.

Okie, maybe calling it a POS is uncalled for. But the guy is trying to say Stock GT's are fast and that it will hang with my modded S4 and Im proving him wrong.

He also goes and says, So Cal people are bad drivers because we have bad E.T's? Then goes calls me a troll and posts some pictures of his closest cousin and his trailer home, and tries to link me to his gene pool; and your telling me what Im saying is uncalled for? Quit being a hero and go eat some
Old 11-27-2001 | 11:33 PM
It's Go-Time.

Waaa wwaaa waaa! :'( Quit your crying.

Okie, maybe calling it a POS is uncalled for. But the guy is trying to say Stock GT's are fast and that it will hang with my modded S4 and Im proving him wrong.

He also goes and says, So Cal people are bad drivers because we have bad E.T's? Then goes calls me a troll and posts some pictures of his closest cousin and his trailer home, and tries to link me to his gene pool; and your telling me what Im saying is uncalled for? Quit being a hero and go eat some
Since you are such a lontime member of this Forum, I should listen to your lame-ass? Good luck.
Old 11-27-2001 | 11:56 PM
BMW Owner

We've got BMW guys arguing with BMW guys, Audi guys arguing with Mustang guys...what a country!
Old 11-28-2001 | 07:55 AM
6 speed...

But the guy is trying to say Stock GT's are fast and that it will hang with my modded S4 and Im proving him wrong.
actually, he's trying to say that stock gt's and bullitts are fast and they'll hang with stock s4's. once you start talking mods, we're in a whole new world.
Old 11-28-2001 | 10:36 AM
Banned

Audi S4 is win.
Rustangs are lose.
Old 11-28-2001 | 10:59 AM
6 speed...

Rustangs are lose.
slow learner, eh?

Old 11-28-2001 | 12:54 PM
Banned

slow learner, eh?

Yup...

I was starting to get tempted to post this (mostly due to my thickheaded ignorance of cars/racing/etc.)....

Old 11-28-2001 | 01:00 PM
6 speed...

Yup...

I was starting to get tempted to post this (mostly due to my thickheaded ignorance of cars/racing/etc.)....

well, I'm glad you resisted the urge to post it...
Old 11-28-2001 | 01:15 PM
Banned

well, I'm glad you resisted the urge to post it...
Exactly...posting funny pictures because I know Rustangs are lose is ghey-roderific.

Old 11-28-2001 | 01:48 PM
6 speed...

Exactly...posting funny pictures because I know Rustangs are lose is ghey-roderific.

I dunno... seems more phagtastic than ghey-roderific, but, then, I'm no authority on the subject. :sqnteek:
Old 11-28-2001 | 05:50 PM
Senior Moderator

say good night....