Anyone else not terribly impressed w/ the '04TL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003 | 08:57 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan on buying a used TSX and then buying some of the 04 TL badges. I will then put the TL badges on the TSX and make a tidy profit...

Seriously they look like the same damn car.

The exterior just doesn't do it for me like the 2nd gen TL.

I think the pricing is going to make all but initial buyers look elsewhere. I mean when you looked for a car you picked a CL/TL for its luxury, performance and most of all the cheap price tag.
Now with the cheap price tag out of the equation I don't think acura is gonna have as many buyers... IMHO
Old 10-03-2003 | 09:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tmk70
If it had a different emblem on it, I think all you fockers would be singing a different tune...

I do have brand preference when it comes to cars. But that doesn't sway my thinking of whether or not a vehicle looks good. I wasn't a Honda/Acura fan at all b4 I got my CL. I bought it because it was the best offering in that class on the market, and I loved the looks. I'm actually more of a Nissan/Infiniti fan, and have been for quite some time, but I'll be the first to say the new Max is fricken fugly.

That being said, the new TL is pretty cool looking. Better imho than the last gen, and damn sweet with the 18s and body kit.
Old 10-03-2003 | 09:25 AM
'Cooter

IMO...

rims suck

fender flares remind me too much of a Focus

front lower airdams look out of place

interior aluminum(like) trim is cold

speedo is just ehh...liked it the first time, when it was in the VW's

ass is hella high

stock to stock compared to 2nd Gen TL, 2nd Gen is classier, better lines, not nearly the visual eyesoar, and warmer interior, even tho it's plainer
Old 10-03-2003 | 10:10 AM
Safety Car

doesn't realy matter whether people think the new max is a joke, its selling just about the same #'s as the 03 for a ~5khigher starting price. same goes with the 04, may be more money or missing the features people wanted but it'll probably push sales even higher.

i thought the looks of new tl/tsx were fine until i saw a pic on clubtsx with an accord coupe next to a tsx, coupe front/back looks better to me now.

http://www.clubtsx.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=227
http://www.clubtsx.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=230
Old 10-03-2003 | 10:17 AM
We dont love these hoes

im not really feeling the colors in all the pictures of the new TL, i mean it looks nice in silver but what doesnt, the dark red isnt bad, i havent seen any other pics but that gold color which looks like crap but i bet its nice in black and dark blue, the interior is awesome, i think it will look alot better in person, the way the new 5 series looked like shit in the pics but looks great in person
Old 10-03-2003 | 11:32 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
you guys are weird

its not often I say this but I agree w/both jimcol and shawn S.

You guys need to get your facts straight...the tsx i.e. euro accord was actually based on the design on the new tl, not the other way around...however, typical honda, their marketing department fucked it all up and introduced the new tsx 1st.......if the tl had came out before the tsx, you guys would all be singing a different tune....

....i saw one in person today at Acura...unfort. it was pre-PDI, so it was still in wraps....trust me, the car looks good on the outside and sportier than the 03 TL...a slight drop, 18s and a kit will set this car apart just like how those mods set an a4 apart versus a stock a4...

....also, you guys complain that acura isnt a true lux marque i.e. cant challenge benz, bmw, lexus etc...how can they be preceived as a premium brand if they sell tl's for under 30k? Acura is trying to make the brand desirable and thus u increase desire for a product by making it harder 2 attain...compared 2 a 03 tl-s w/o navi, the new 04 tl w/o navi went up by ~$1700 sans destination...for $1700, you're getting brembo brakes, 5.1audio, led lamplights, bi-xenon headlights, MMI,1touch sunroof, 10way driver seat, Electroluminescent gauges, and even a 6spd tranny and hlsd etc....these are all features the 03 tl never even had

i'm not saying the new TL is the bomb or the greatest thing since A-cl.com BUT, its not as bad as some of you are making it to be
Old 10-03-2003 | 11:35 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

btw the new tl will look better than any g35 sedan IMO a

and is the best rendition of a japenese-Germanic interior
Old 10-03-2003 | 11:38 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by unsure
btw the new tl will look better than any g35 sedan IMO a

and is the best rendition of a japenese-Germanic interior
...and the best rendition of Honda rehash.
Old 10-03-2003 | 11:40 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Originally posted by tmk70
...and the best rendition of Honda rehash.

lol
Old 10-03-2003 | 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
you guys are weird
Why does everyone keep saying stuff like that? You're wierd, what the fuck is wrong with you, it's hot, etc.

Is everyone not entitled to their own opinions? So what if you like and someone else doesn't? What do you care. Is everyone so far up Acura's ass that they have to insult, name call, or assume something is wrong with people when someone says they don't like the new design? I just don't get it..... some people like it... others don't.... just deal with it.
Old 10-03-2003 | 11:43 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by juniorbean
Why does everyone keep saying stuff like that? YOu're wierd, what the fuck is wrong with you, it's hot.

Is everyone not entitled to their own opinions? So what if you like and someone else doesn't? What do you care. Is everyone so far up Acura's ass that they have to insult, name call, or assume something is wrong with people when someone says they don't like the new design? I just don't get it..... some people like it... others don't.... just deal with it.
Exactly. I just don't like the direction they are going in, that doesn't mean I hate Acuras now.
Old 10-03-2003 | 11:49 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

i didnt think saying "weird" would create such a stir...its not even a curse word and i didnt even use any smilies

i didnt mean to offend anyone bro...i meant weird jokingly since i figureded we were all family...not in a disrespective light of any kind
Old 10-03-2003 | 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
i didnt think saying "weird" would create such a stir...its not even a curse word and i didnt even use any smilies

i didnt mean to offend anyone bro...i meant weird jokingly since i figureded we were all family...not in a disrespective light of any kind
Not directed at you at all.. I just used your post as one of the examples since it was right above mine.... no worries

My post was just a general reply. Stuff like that happens in many others as well, not just this one.
Old 10-03-2003 | 12:16 PM

I'll have to drive it to make final judgement.
Old 10-03-2003 | 05:22 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My turn to chime in ,
One thing that has always appealed to me about BMW and Mercedes ,Rolls Royce etc. is that they are for lack of a better word "identifiable".Acura now is trying for a similar idea .An identifiable face is a huge sales advantage afterall BMW and Mercedes have no problems unloading tons of their cars when other makers are drowning in inventory .Now the TSX TL MDX and ofcourse the upcoming replacement for the RL will have similar faces .If it sells cars for the big boys it may work for Acura as well .

Granted when the second generation TL appeared it was not all that well recieved yet order books were full and often times getting a TL was a question of patience as all of them were sold the minute they rolled off the truck .Same thing with the MDX which is still in some colors a few weeks to 2 months away if you buy today .As far as I know we probably sold 30 to 40 new 3rd gen TL's sight unseen .

ANother thing that factors in here is human nature .Owners of older 1st and 2nd gen TL's are now looking at an idea few people like .Owning a car that is clearly yesterdays news .Naysayers will always say "oh the last generation was better " etc. etc. .This is normal in fact I would say I would be pretty surrpised if people did not react this way .

Having seen the new TL live in the flesh I have to say that there are few things I think may be a bit off .But overall the car has a very aggressive shape for an Acura .Honda/Acura styling is set to catch the largest number of sales .They are not out to set trends or rewrite automotive styling books .If our order books are any indication they have built a winner .

Now if the transmission,brakes,sunroof stuff works I will be really happy .

Jens
Old 10-03-2003 | 05:35 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by mantis23
i love the interior, but not sold on the outside yet, maybe i need to see one in person.

And If I don't like it, then I don't have to buy it. After all, I did trade in my 2001 TL for a 2002 TLS because I liked it better . . . in a lot of areas and looks was a key one.

So I'm holding out . . . newer may be improved, but it's not necessarily better looking all the time. That why some model years become classics while others don't. Just look at some of the design junk that the 80's produced. The early 70s were much nicer looking in most cases.

Ruf
Old 10-03-2003 | 05:54 PM
Racer

I was a little worried about getting my G-35 Sedan a month ago. Now I've got no issues about not waiting.
Old 10-03-2003 | 07:40 PM
Burning Brakes

'04 TL vs. '04 G35 w/ Aero Kit .. G35 win's hands down ..

I don't care than the interior is semi-boy racer in the G' .. the exterior is kick-ass.. 'specially the coupe, and it's avail. in a 6-spd w/ RWD .. all for the same $$ as the TL.

I'm not hating on the new TL, just stating my opinon.

I love it how SOME (not all) people defend the new TL like they aleady own it. Please, just because I own an '02 TL-S doesn't mean I'm jealous that a new bodystyle is out. I can always trade-in my car and buy the new one if I really felt any serious buyers remorse.

I'm just weighing the current '04 cars in it's category side-by-side... I'm liking the G35, the 330i, even the Jag X-Type 6-spd more.. that's all.

I think the exterior killed it for me the most. I'm VERY content w/ the 270hp and the 6-spd close-ratio tranny .. i'm sure this car will drive HELLA awesome, and perform just as well as the kick-ass '03 CL-S 6-spd. I was content w/ the 260hp!

"You had me at 260hp, you had me at 260hp..."
Old 10-03-2003 | 08:30 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by TL_Type_S
Please, just because I own an '02 TL-S doesn't mean I'm jealous that a new bodystyle is out. I can always trade-in my car and buy the new one if I really felt any serious buyers remorse.
up!

Especially since the price gap with the others has closed or is much closer . . . . one of the BIG $$$ reasons I didn't chose any of the others . . . now I'm not sure what I'd do if I were buying one now.

Ruf
Old 10-04-2003 | 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Ruf .. like I said.. if I was in the market now .. G35 w/ Aero Kit
Old 10-04-2003 | 07:58 PM
It's Go-Time.

I like it, too bad it didn't come with more HP.
Old 10-05-2003 | 04:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Honestly, power wasn't the issue for me w/ the '04TL. .. I test drove the '03 CL-S 6-spd and thought the 260hp was MORE than enough stock hp for a FWD car.. (I know many would beg to differ, but ...) Therefore, it was strictly styling for me ...

1) I need fog lights .. pet peeve .. do'nt like the integrated stuff
2) didn't like the pontiac styling w/ all those TSX/RSX curves
3) oh well
Old 10-05-2003 | 05:18 AM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I like the TL-S, I still think the 1st Gen TL was a classy lookin' car. I miss my '98 3.2 TL-P...solid and simple. Not really likin' this new one. Maybe it'll grow on me, as the G35S, but who knows.
Old 10-05-2003 | 06:12 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I went out to the dealer to look at the 04 TL. Looks just like in the pictures, not any better or worse. Interior was nicer than the previous line. Exterior doesn't break any new ground that the TSX didn't already do. Was hard to tell it from the TSX right next to it from the side.
Rear looks too simple like a VW sedan, not very distiguishable. Seems more like a safe update than a totally new Acura design or concept. Acura brand needs more unique styling.
Old 10-05-2003 | 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Acura either needs a) an //M or AMG signature modifier to add a furoscious (sp??) sedan/coupe to their line-up ..
b) or an honest attempt at RWD or AWD to beef up a boring line-up ..
Old 10-05-2003 | 06:53 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still think Acura is more conservative. The TL is targeting the middle aged wealthy Cadillac buyers.. More Pizzas for free, not a true sport sedan. Best Handling FWD car for sure...

I still love it.. espacially the world class interior. 8" inch NAV system and 5.1 Surround DVD-A, Bluetooth Cell Phone is just ice on the the cake!
Old 10-05-2003 | 06:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I think the new TL is a great car. Put it this way.. what would you rather have your mom drive.. a RWD g35 or a FWD TL? I would pick the TL since i know it safer.

Basicly what im saying is that there will always be a market for a lux FWD car.
AWD is better though
Old 10-05-2003 | 08:13 PM
One who Laps

The new TL just doesn't seem to offer the performance that I thought it might. It seems to focus more on luxury, which is nice if that's what you want but from a price standpoint there are many competitors in this area.
What's disappointing is that I wanted to see Acura make a big leap with this car in the performance dept. and they didn't get it done. I can afford many other cars on the maket but I love Honda's, always will, so my hopes of replacing my CLS with something significantly better from Acura are diminished with this TL.
I guess I'll wait and hope a higher horsepower performance based coupe will emerge from Acura in the near future, if not I'll just stick with my modded CLS and buy a supercharger to keep things interesting.
Mods for the new TL will be few and far between in my opinion, which is also disappointing.
C'mon Acura where you're balls, quit being so vanilla!
Old 10-05-2003 | 09:31 PM

Sorry G35 over TL shitty interior and all.
Old 10-06-2003 | 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
a RWD g35 or a FWD TL? I would pick the TL since i know it safer.

Basicly what im saying is that there will always be a market for a lux FWD car.
AWD is better though
there will always be a market for lux RWD cars as well...benz, lexus, bmw just to name a few

btw, i didn't know RWD cars are dangerous
Old 10-06-2003 | 08:14 PM
One who Laps

I can't believe how much the TSX and TL look alike, ridiculous actually.
Why can't Acura come up with something better than these two bland sedans?
They are going to lose the same buyers that they gained with the CLS!
Old 10-07-2003 | 12:04 PM
Drifting

i ordered mine and i can't wait, the car is hot.
Old 10-07-2003 | 12:08 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think Acura did a fine job with the new TL. The only thing i'd like to see changed is the drivetrain. Other then that it seems to be a good deal.
Old 10-07-2003 | 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not saying the TL won't sell like hotcakes.. what percentage of people who own CL's and TL'S actually comment on this board... 2% .. 4%???

It'll probably kill the market for FWD sales .. over the Audi FWD, maxima, ES330, Jag .. etc... however, it's just not what I wanted to see from them. I'm sure the interior is kickass, i'm sure it handles and performs awesome.. but the styling killed it for me.

Just like Lexus kept the ES330 for their "safer" sedan in the line-up .. perhaps acura could start developing a platform for an AWD or RWD sports sedan to target the RWD audience. Am I wrong? Would they not succeed greatly w/ RWD, highperformance V6 w/ turbo/supercharger and 6MT?? I think they'd but right up there w/ the G35 and BMW330i ...