Anyone else not terribly impressed w/ the '04TL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003 | 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else not terribly impressed w/ the '04TL?

I know next to no one has had a chance to drive it, see it in person, etc... but, I'm just not diggin' it sorta like I wasn't diggin' the new Maxima, despite the upgrade in interior, hp, torque, etc.

I like the my '03 Max, and I like my '02TL-S .. I don't like the new ones.. call me crazy.

Anyone else feel the same?
Old 10-02-2003 | 06:48 PM
Racer

Ya, the new TL looks kinda whatever. Has a huge dooky booty and the front looks like a pugs gace.
Old 10-02-2003 | 06:49 PM
God
GOD Of ACURA-CL.COM

Old 10-02-2003 | 06:57 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,106 Likes on 2,709 Posts
I love the new TL, however the new maxima is joke amongst jokes.
Old 10-02-2003 | 07:00 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

iono tl is looks like an enlarged tsx
Old 10-02-2003 | 07:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

i love the interior, but not sold on the outside yet, maybe i need to see one in person.
Old 10-02-2003 | 07:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i like it alot.

you sound like someone who owns a 2002 tl-s.
Old 10-02-2003 | 07:27 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The styling hasn't grown on me yet. I also think the 2nd generation has more potential performance wise. The 04 has the Catalytic converters bolted up to the heads like the 03 Accords so no Header add on. The 04 has 10 more HP than the S-Type motor but they already have cold air induction so I think it's a push.

For Amenities - the 04 has a ton more bells and whistles.
Old 10-02-2003 | 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Allout
The styling hasn't grown on me yet. I also think the 2nd generation has more potential performance wise. The 04 has the Catalytic converters bolted up to the heads like the 03 Accords so no Header add on. The 04 has 10 more HP than the S-Type motor but they already have cold air induction so I think it's a push.

For Amenities - the 04 has a ton more bells and whistles.
Thanks for stating the specs of the car, why don't you just tell us what you think of it...
Old 10-02-2003 | 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
its not ground breaking like it was when the 2nd gen was released in 99
Old 10-02-2003 | 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mattg
i like it alot.

you sound like someone who owns a 2002 tl-s.
I figured someone would say that...
Old 10-02-2003 | 07:49 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
its not ground breaking like it was when the 2nd gen was released in 99
Nah, blue tooth hands free and 5.1 sound stock arent ground breaking at all... and i wouldnt say anything about the 99 was groundbreaking either, that car didnt make a huge splash when it debuted either.
Old 10-02-2003 | 08:00 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
no one ever likes a car when it first comes out usually. Look how many hated the 7 series and now love it. Plus you can never ever judge a car by it's pictures.
Old 10-02-2003 | 08:29 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I don't think that many more are loving the BMW 7. And the new 5 is getting mixed styling reviews too. I'd have to see the TL in person to really know but I'm not a 4-door style enthusiast. Looks like a bigger TSX or a VW sedan. The styling is more of a modification than a new style approach IMO. I thought the 01-03 TL was nice looking for a sedan, esp the rear.
Old 10-02-2003 | 08:31 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by CLpower
no one ever likes a car when it first comes out usually. Look how many hated the 7 series and now love it. Plus you can never ever judge a car by it's pictures.
This is true...I see a new 7 now and I can't help but look again. Especially in black...I now think it's a sharp car. With the facelift, it might look even better.

One of the first cars I remember feeling this way about was the current model Mustang when it first came out for the 99' model year. I remember thinking the older 94-98 model was much better looking, and that the angular styling of the current design was pretty ugly.

That's totally reversed now...the older one looks bland and, well...old. The newer ones suddenly look good, though.
Old 10-02-2003 | 08:35 PM
Bagged hybrid

Looks alright, but nothing ground breaking like last time. Price is alittle high, but always subject to change.
Old 10-02-2003 | 08:38 PM
The Third Ball

Will someone please explain to me how the last gen TL was ground breaking??? Its been mentioned twice now.

I love the look of the 2nd gen, I think its a sleek classy sexy design. But its still acura conservative and blends in with the norm. so what about this was so damnde ground breaking??? I just wanna know damnit!!
Old 10-02-2003 | 08:52 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by sarlacc23
I love the new TL, however the new maxima is joke amongst jokes.
Sorry, The new maxima is not a joke. Have you test driven the new 04 Maxima SE with Driver Prefered Package + NAV?

It is available in 6-speed and 5-AT. 4 corner independent suspension. Brakes are even better than those on the current CL/TL.

The maxima rocks! Solild, Powerful, no rattles. True, The dashboard and center console is not driver-oriented like on the CL/TL. But hey, fit and finish is 3X better than my CLS. No door gaps, No misaligned panels.

Nashua

the new TL will be a HOT seller!
Old 10-02-2003 | 08:58 PM
///M POWER

i like the interior but not the outside, i'll wait till i see it in real life, i like the 03 max better
Old 10-02-2003 | 09:11 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally posted by mantis23
i love the interior, but not sold on the outside yet, maybe i need to see one in person.

Old 10-02-2003 | 10:16 PM
Racer

I drove the new TL today, the car is Nice, it's quiet in the car while u driving, and it's smooth too!!!!! i also try to bluetooth handsfree on there....... that thing is awsome........ o and also the EL surround sound system with the XM radio....... it's sweet, i can't wait for the TL typeS to come out then i will trade my car in for one...........
Old 10-02-2003 | 11:27 PM
Suzuka Master

doooky booty
Old 10-03-2003 | 12:26 AM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Sorry, The new maxima is not a joke. Have you test driven the new 04 Maxima SE with Driver Prefered Package + NAV?

It is available in 6-speed and 5-AT. 4 corner independent suspension. Brakes are even better than those on the current CL/TL.

The maxima rocks! Solild, Powerful, no rattles. True, The dashboard and center console is not driver-oriented like on the CL/TL. But hey, fit and finish is 3X better than my CLS. No door gaps, No misaligned panels.

Nashua

the new TL will be a HOT seller!
Not doubting Nissan quality or power, never have, but i think the int and esp ext design of that car is a joke. big and oafish. I like the prev gen much better, thats all.
Old 10-03-2003 | 03:59 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

The new Maxima is just flat out ugly. Nissan insists on putting these cheezy grills on their carsthat totally take away from the luxury look.

As for the new TL, how can one not be impressed? No offense, but I didn't give the current TL a second look ever in my life (and still don't think it's all that) until I became more familiar with Acura when I bought my CL and found out they were sister cars.

The new TL has almost everything we have all been talking about for years now.

More aggressive styling, 6 speed, Brembos, 18" wheels, bodkit, summer tires as options, less wheel gap, LSD, beautiful interior with aluminum trim, huge navi scree plus all the electronic bells and whistles, etc etc.

As for price, I think this car is the bargain of the century at 33-35K. Please rememeber that a fully loaded Accord V6 hits the register in the very high 20's these days. This car clearly outperforms the GS400 for 20k less!

The only downsides I see thus far are 2: the integrated headers will detract from the potential of the engine, and now AWD option. What more can you all really ask for?
Old 10-03-2003 | 04:24 AM
Masshole

I think the new TL and the new Maxima are both butt-ugly. The TL looks wimpy and DOES look just like the TSX....Acura has their head up their ass.
Old 10-03-2003 | 07:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by tmk70
I think the new TL and the new Maxima are both butt-ugly. The TL looks wimpy and DOES look just like the TSX....Acura has their head up their ass.
If Acuras styling trend continues, I'll either be driving my cls for along time or buying something else (Infiniti, Bmw, etc). If Acura doesn't remove their heads out of their butts, they might lose alot of sales to the competition.

The tsx looks good for a small entry level luxo-sport (ie. it's a 4 door rsx), but the TL's exterior styling just doesn't do it for me.

I've been seeing alot of G35C's lately on the road, (red one and a silver one today, red one w/ tint yesterday), and I'm really starting to dig the looks of that thing. If the G35C had a decent trunk (like the CLS) and a better interior (like the new TL) I'd be tempted to make the switch to Infiniti like alot of other guys here have.

I'm wondering how sales of the new TL are going ??
Old 10-03-2003 | 07:24 AM
Masshole

My trunk is small, but the seats fold down. I love the interior...the leather quality is amazing and I like the plastanium...fuck it. The NAV rocks too.
Old 10-03-2003 | 07:44 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
i love it

Old 10-03-2003 | 07:45 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by tmk70
My trunk is small, but the seats fold down. I love the interior...the leather quality is amazing and I like the plastanium...fuck it. The NAV rocks too.
lol what? the g35 leather is hideous. you ever sat in a german car?
Old 10-03-2003 | 07:50 AM
Banned

what the hell did you guys want or expect???

personally, i love the new TL, i think its LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than the current TL. this new TL REALLY took a step up as far as luxury is concerned, i mean just look at that interior. just look at the list of features. 5.1 surround sound?? come on thats fuckin cool, noone else is doing that!!

the exterior is so much better looking than the current TL as well, they added fender flares, side marker lights, agressive headlights, sweet looking rear bumper and exhaust. i dont see where the problem lies??

270 hp, sure, we were all expecting 280 plus, but lets be honest, look at allmotor or any of you supercharged guys....300+ hp FWD cars like these handle like SHIT and spin the tires at the drop of a hat. no one wants that. whats the point of more power if all it does is spin the tires??? until they do an AWD, the power probably wont go up at all beyond 270. at least they squeezed a bit more torque out of that motor though!!

as far as looking like a TSX...wake up guys!! thats the POINT!!!!! look at the 3 series and current 5 series BMW...very similar, no one bitches about that???? dont you understand thats the point? thats like the "thing" to do in luxury car makers...look at MB, same thing!!!
Old 10-03-2003 | 07:51 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by soopa
It ain't a German car, but it's miles above the CL.
Old 10-03-2003 | 07:54 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Do you mean the German leather or "pleather"? You have to look pretty hard to find out what you are getting. Leather seating surfaces or side panels.

Oh shiznits, this is turning into I hate you car and I love my car thread!
Old 10-03-2003 | 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by mantis23
Agreed... I need to see it in person to really make up my mind. The interior is PIMP and the new features they added are sweet, but I'm really not feeling the outside. From certain angles it looks like a Camry or a Stratus. Now, I know that many cars resemble other cars... so like I said... I'll really need to see it in person to make a decision.

I'm hoping that I do like it a lot more when I see it b/c the wife was going to get one... that way I can keep my car and get the new one as well!! We'll see......
Old 10-03-2003 | 08:13 AM
10th Gear

i love it

My very first thought when I saw that pic was "Mustang GT." Blur the lines a bit and you can easily see it....

Still, from other angles, you wouldn't.

As far as the luxury aspect in German cars (when comparing to American/Japanese)...I don't know how many of you guys realize this, but in Europe many things we now take for granted - power seats, automatic mirrors, climate control (ANY type of A/C), even power WINDOWS...are considered optional luxuries. I saw a lot of 3 series while over there, in a number of different countries (particularly the UK and Germany itself), and upon closer inspection realized that the only ones that make it to the states are the loaded high end models. Seems like all of the cars over there have 4 cylinder (or diesel) engines, manual transmissions (a plus, IMO) and cloth seats.

This is why I still find it surprising that German car companies seem to do a respectable job with the luxury aspect of their cars. Especially the vinyl "pleather" or "leatherette" which quite literally looks and feels as good if not better than the leather in many cars (and takes far less effort to maintain and keep looking good, trust me). I do know that the flaky (albeit cutting edge) electronics are a result of the above; Germany, like Japan, is known for designing state of the art electronics, but unlike the Japanese, haven't perfected their usage in automobiles. Mercedes-Benz navi systems are notorious for failing, at $4k each! On the other hand, a German engine or transmission will run for hundreds of thousands of miles, while it seems like the trannys in the CL are dropping like flies.

Last, and quite possibly least, you have the American domestic makes...where you don't get the electronics to begin with, and the build quality and mechanical reliability is questionable regardless.

It seems to me like you're simply choosing your poison when picking a certain car these days.
Old 10-03-2003 | 08:18 AM
Team Owner

It's not very often I say this, but I agree EXACTLY what Jim posted.

Originally posted by jimcol711
what the hell did you guys want or expect???

personally, i love the new TL, i think its LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than the current TL. this new TL REALLY took a step up as far as luxury is concerned, i mean just look at that interior. just look at the list of features. 5.1 surround sound?? come on thats fuckin cool, noone else is doing that!!

the exterior is so much better looking than the current TL as well, they added fender flares, side marker lights, agressive headlights, sweet looking rear bumper and exhaust. i dont see where the problem lies??

270 hp, sure, we were all expecting 280 plus, but lets be honest, look at allmotor or any of you supercharged guys....300+ hp FWD cars like these handle like SHIT and spin the tires at the drop of a hat. no one wants that. whats the point of more power if all it does is spin the tires??? until they do an AWD, the power probably wont go up at all beyond 270. at least they squeezed a bit more torque out of that motor though!!

as far as looking like a TSX...wake up guys!! thats the POINT!!!!! look at the 3 series and current 5 series BMW...very similar, no one bitches about that???? dont you understand thats the point? thats like the "thing" to do in luxury car makers...look at MB, same thing!!!
Old 10-03-2003 | 08:19 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

no I......looks hot....
Old 10-03-2003 | 08:28 AM
Masshole

If it had a different emblem on it, I think all you fockers would be singing a different tune...

Old 10-03-2003 | 08:35 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by CLpower
speak for yerself...i loved the CL from the getgo and always will
Old 10-03-2003 | 08:43 AM
Masshole

Interior

Exterior :thumbsdn:

IMO
Old 10-03-2003 | 08:53 AM
Kabachitare!

I think it looks great and is quite an improvement over the older model.

Remember when Car and Driver was saying the old TL had "styling by Sears"?

The new one is much more aggressive looking and pumps out 10 more hp than the current Tl-S.

Quick Reply: Anyone else not terribly impressed w/ the '04TL?