another successful vsa delete!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another successful vsa delete!

With the help of the Helms manual, A TYPER thread from Scalbert and allmotor, and my cousin who is a electrical engineer. I finally got rid of that stupid thing. I've been driving on it for a week to make sure I had no CEL lights or problems. The butt dyno loves it. I can sure feel the difference. I have it slightly ghetto rigged until I can get a 6speed tube from comptech. Once I get that I should feel a slight more because the only pipe I had was 2 3/4" when comptech's is 3". Otherwise for us non-6speeders this is a great and very cheap mod.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:21 AM
big bad bust

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
is their a diy on this for the autos and another question the thing im not sure what it is called next to the throttle body i took it off and put it back on and my vsa is not qorking is their any explantion for this or a fix thanks for any replys
Old 06-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Instructor

How do you do that?

So, basically you removed the VSA and replaced it with a pipe? Is that it or is there some computer trickery you have to do? A DIY would be nice
Old 06-24-2007, 12:50 PM
big bad bust

yes a diy would be very nice
Old 06-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Racer

Yes there is wiring trickery involved. You have to trick the ecu into thinking that it is still there or else you will throw a CEL light's if you just diconnect it. I'll see if I can do a diy.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Louie11
Yes there is wiring trickery involved. You have to trick the ecu into thinking that it is still there or else you will throw a CEL light's if you just diconnect it. I'll see if I can do a diy.
That would be well appriciated if you could. I was thinking about possibly doing this in the future.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:35 PM
big bad bust

yea same here
Old 06-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Diy

any news on this DIY? Has anyone else done this before? What kinda of gains can we expect?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I like my VSA, safety options vs 5 hp is not a comparable tradeoff for me...
Old 06-27-2007, 12:18 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
I like my lack of VSA.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by pits200
I like my VSA, safety options vs 5 hp is not a comparable tradeoff for me...

Why would anyone want to get rid of a system that will save your ass when you have more balls then your car?

At least the 6mt put some of that back with the limited slip & manual so you get traction & can modulate your rpm's & throttle.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Instructor

the only time i've ever felt my vsa work was when it was icy out side. Its not a "save your ass system", its a help you out system. If your a crazy driver during dangerous road conditions then i'm pretty sure the VSA would do little to nothing to save you. Taking this off is not as bad as removing your bumpers or air bags
Old 06-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by corpsdawg
the only time i've ever felt my vsa work was when it was icy out side. Its not a "save your ass system", its a help you out system. If your a crazy driver during dangerous road conditions then i'm pretty sure the VSA would do little to nothing to save you. Taking this off is not as bad as removing your bumpers or air bags
Ha, and what logical person would remove their airbags or bumpers. It has been proven time and time again that a safety control system is an important factor on a vehicle.

And I will take any aid that I can get if I get into a bad predicament driving normal in abnormal conditions.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
It has been proven time and time again that a safety control system is an important factor on a vehicle.
yea for people that lack the ability to handle their car. I dont like nannies intervening
Old 06-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FYI,

In general, vehicles without defeatable stability control systems have it there for a reason (coming from a good friend who does the actual tuning for these things, as well as a few forms of racing on the side). Thats not saying an old Acura system is well tuned for an aggressive driver, so don't get too bent out of shape.

It does not matter how good you think you are, you CANNOT react faster than a well tuned stability control system.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^

By the way, I'm not trying to take away from the original poster's work.. I'd just rather not have a bunch of teenagers go defeating their VSA systems which could save their lives. /:ENDRANT:
Old 06-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

I mean, I give the guy who did this all without his car tossing a code alot of credit. Because I know my fair share about cars and electrical work is my extreme weak point. So I couldnt even begin to comprehend the work that went into this.

As for nannies intervening, don't you have a little button that you can press to turn off the VSA when you want to drive aggressive.

What about in inclimate weather when you SHOULDN'T be driving aggressive, what do you do now that you have no VSA.

Also, our VSA system on the type s is pretty damn good for older technology. My 2000TL with TCS is absolutely pointless, it does nothing in bad weather.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ML03CLS
^^^

By the way, I'm not trying to take away from the original poster's work.. I'd just rather not have a bunch of teenagers go defeating their VSA systems which could save their lives. /:ENDRANT:
I have a legal 1/8 mile track a short trip away that costs only $20 to run all you want the whole day. Thats why I was looking for the DIY incase I start to do so. I do understand your concern though, traction control has saved many people (even older folks) from accidents.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:04 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,094 Posts
I was wondering what the point of deleting it was since you can just turn it off with a button. Is it the inconvenience of hitting a button or just so you don't have a yellow "!" lit up on the dash? If it's for gaining HP how exactly would it do that just by deleting the VSA?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:05 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,094 Posts
I was wondering what the point of deleting it was since you can just turn it off with a button also. Is it the inconvenience of hitting a button or just so you don't have a yellow "!" lit up on the dash? If it's for gaining HP how exactly would it do that just by deleting the VSA?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Your "butt dyno" is lying to you. It takes a 10% increase in HP in order for you to physically feel it. No chance you gained that much HP by removing the VSA butterfly valve.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Advance

wheres the DIY at!?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
i searched "resistor" and this came up on the first page

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=resistor

/end thread
Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Pro

sounds to me that someone was bored.
I think you wasted your time...should of waxed the car...time better spent.
btw...Have fun explaining that the VSA doesn't work when you sell the car...thats a good selling point.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
sounds to me that someone was bored.
I think you wasted your time...should of waxed the car...time better spent.
btw...Have fun explaining that the VSA doesn't work when you sell the car...thats a good selling point.
actually the only portion of the VSA system that won't work is the throttle cut. The VSA still engages, i.e. pulls timing and cuts fuel. And this is an easily reversible modification.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CleanCL
actually the only portion of the VSA system that won't work is the throttle cut. The VSA still engages, i.e. pulls timing and cuts fuel. And this is an easily reversible modification.
so what the purpose of it then? Why waste your time if your going to end up reversing the modification?
Just my but seems more of a hassle than what its worth.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Advance

Reduce air intake restriction and intake tempuratures, also if you have a ported TB and or a P&P IM you wouldn't want some stupid extra throttle body hindering your gains.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
so what the purpose of it then? Why waste your time if your going to end up reversing the modification?
Just my but seems more of a hassle than what its worth.
Yes, why would I remove an air intake restriction, that's just stupid. Why would you put ANYTHING on the car just to remove it when you sell it. You are right, modding cars is a waste of time.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:55 PM
140,000 miles young

So deleting the VSA valve does the same thing as hitting the off switch except it also opens up the intake tract just a bit? Or does it have another effect as well?

If its just the intake tract then it's also not really worth it to me. I'd rather drop money on an underdrive pulley or put on a cat back for the 2 HP that would give me.

Even if I never engage VSA I still like knowing it's there for the one time it will matter in the future.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

SIGH

when you remove the VSA throttle body, the throttle cut will not work, but the fuel cut will still engage. VSA will still activate. you still need to push the button to turn it off. the main difference is that you do not have a giant second throttle body to restrict your intake tract and increase air intake temps.

if its not worth it to you then don't do it, nobody really cares. this thread if for information not opinions.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Pro

Yes, why would I remove an air intake restriction, that's just stupid. Why would you put ANYTHING on the car just to remove it when you sell it. You are right, modding cars is a waste of time.

Thats not what I meant....
I'm talking about quality mods vs tearing your car apart/half ass modding...and if it really does anything at all. Its your guys car....do what you want..i don't care. I still never seen a DIY. If I see a DIY it might enlighten me and I would like to see some hard evidence of performance gains from this odd mod...I see what you guys say it does....but show me the facts...Props to the OP for being a pioneer! ..I'm just skeptical if this is really worth my time/your time....and your wrong this thread is for opinions...thus a forum. If you don't like my opinion move to a communist country this is the U.S.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Pro

It has been proven time and time again that a safety control system is an important factor on a vehicle.
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
yea for people that lack the ability to handle their car. I dont like nannies intervening
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. "Lack the ability to handle their car." HA. Ever drive in snow? I mean real snow. Or ever hit black ice? Or ever travel down a road you are not all that familar with and enter a corner to quickly? Even if the answer to all over those question is no, it could still happen and then you will see how well you personally can brake individual wheels.

There ARE numerous studies that snow stability control systems reduce single car accidents anywhere from 40-60%...even the manufactures backup those numbers.

When you can consistently drive your car within 1 degree of the limit thats when it will make a difference on a racetrack..this is the real world and things happen.

Me, I would never remove VSA. Sure turn it off for some fun in a snowy parking lot or a quick race off the line but I never drive with it off for long.

By the way. How many of you really understand how VSA or any stability control system works?

Sorry for the rant. I am big on safety.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fish008
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. "Lack the ability to handle their car." HA. Ever drive in snow? I mean real snow. Or ever hit black ice? Or ever travel down a road you are not all that familar with and enter a corner to quickly? Even if the answer to all over those question is no, it could still happen and then you will see how well you personally can brake individual wheels.

There ARE numerous studies that snow stability control systems reduce single car accidents anywhere from 40-60%...even the manufactures backup those numbers.

When you can consistently drive your car within 1 degree of the limit thats when it will make a difference on a racetrack..this is the real world and things happen.

Me, I would never remove VSA. Sure turn it off for some fun in a snowy parking lot or a quick race off the line but I never drive with it off for long.

By the way. How many of you really understand how VSA or any stability control system works?

Sorry for the rant. I am big on safety.

does anyone care to read what i write? apparently not. why don't you reread my posts.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Pro

does anyone care to read what i write? apparently not. why don't you reread my posts.
My apologies. After I read what I responded to I just started writing. Glad to hear that you are not completely disabling you VSA. Also my response was not intentially directed at you. It was directed at the person who thinks that they can out drive a car with VSA in any situation.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

for those still missing the point, please read carefully:

removing the VSA Throttle Body does not disnegage the entire VSA system. Under normal driving conditions, the fuel cut and timing pull STILL engages. ACTUALLY, if the system senses heavy traction loss and does not see the throttle cut, the VSA system actually trips into safety mode completely reducing power. This is corrected when you turn the car off and turn it back on, it is back to normal. If anything, it is actually SAFER than when the VSA throttle body was there.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
for those still missing the point, please read carefully:

removing the VSA Throttle Body does not disnegage the entire VSA system. Under normal driving conditions, the fuel cut and timing pull STILL engages. ACTUALLY, if the system senses heavy traction loss and does not see the throttle cut, the VSA system actually trips into safety mode completely reducing power. This is corrected when you turn the car off and turn it back on, it is back to normal. If anything, it is actually SAFER than when the VSA throttle body was there.

you are definately full of it..........if it wasn't needed, acura would have spent the cash to research it and put it in there.........lol
Old 10-30-2007, 09:15 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
you are definately full of it..........if it wasn't needed, acura would have spent the cash to research it and put it in there.........lol
.... this post is definitely the stupidest post of the entire thread.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:31 AM
White as night.

Originally Posted by brianlin87
Isn't VSA meant for helping you out when you might lose control of the car? Why would that idea be stupid?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by brianlin87
OK since it is so stupid, explain to us why ACURA would have wasted their time and money by designing the system the way they did........after all since they didn't really need it and the car is safter according to the poster of that crap..........

i am sure acura would LOVE your insight after all you are sooooooooo much smarter
Old 10-31-2007, 02:34 AM
Advance

For all you idiots who are defending the removal of VSA, this mod is for enthusiast who would like to make the most power by deleting any unnessesary restriction. And YeuEmMaiMai why the fuck do you think the 6spd CL-S doesn't come with VSA? leave your useless comments and worries to yourself. This is a informative thread on how to remove a annoying traction control system that a real driver doesnt need, not a "why would acura put it on there if its so horrible" thread.

Quick Reply: another successful vsa delete!