Another one bites the dust!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Got Boost?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another one bites the dust!!!

Well guys...I never thought it would happen to me...but my first tranny has crapped out on me!!! I have a 2001 CL Type S with 36k miles on her. I always read post about other people...and thought I was a lucky one...I guess I was wrong. No really harsh signs of it going out...just some hard shifting, and the check engine light constantly coming on...but other than that...I dunno. I also had to replace the battery because a cell went bad...don't know though...just mentioning it. They replaced the battery today and placed the order on the tranny. I am taking it in sometime next week, and they said it shouldn't take more than a couple of days. Well anyways...just wanted to tell the group that I am now a proud member of the replaced tranny club! Thanks for listening.

By the way...Santa Monica Acura has GREAT service...any questions about it...or who to go to....let me know! Great service people!

-Shane :P
Old 07-02-2003, 11:59 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no... not another one... I am still okay at 46kmiles. Unless the dealer replaced the tranny without my knowledge.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
mine went out yesterday, 37K miles. should have my car back by the end of the day tomorrow.

right now i'm driving a mercury sable :'(
Old 07-03-2003, 01:57 AM
///M POWER

sorry matt g

acuracr,
i thought u got a supra??
Old 07-03-2003, 03:12 AM
Got Boost?

Originally posted by darrinb
sorry matt g

acuracr,
i thought u got a supra??
Hey, what's up darrinb...actually I did get a SupraTT...but I still have my Acura. I am selling it at the end of this month. Good memory by the way! But yeah...I am getting a new tranny on the CL...and then it will be gone...just to let you know. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2003, 04:19 AM
Pro

Hey, what's up Acuracr. Sorry to hear about your tranny. I remember talking to you that one night at Qualcomm. Doesn't that supra only have like 3000 miles on it??? Oh yeah... are you still selling the Teins?
Old 07-03-2003, 04:42 AM
Pro

ditto over here

mine's getting replaced now with about 49K miles on it...well i should it say it's been ordered...just cruising in my honda accord lx (a '00 i believe) in the meantime.

anyone know if they automatically "update" the pcm at the same time without asking you?
Old 07-03-2003, 08:03 AM
10th Gear

Sorry to hear about your tranny ACURACR..

But I have a question.. is your dealerhip OK with all your mods?
I'm surprised they didn't try to blame the tranny failure on your mods..

Where'd you get them installed?
Old 07-03-2003, 08:16 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
CHIRST........If my tranny goes....so does the car! I've heard so many horror stories of going back to the dealer for 3 more trannies after the first one.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:31 AM
Racer

I had #2 put in at 18,500 miles......now at 22,500 #3 will be needed shortly!!!???!! Shifts like crap, won't downshift, makes humming noise etc, etc.....

Nicky - I'm with you, but the value of our cars is in the crapper right now. I'm not interested in taking a $5,000 hit negitive equity on my lease. At least I can turn this thing into Honda in another 18mos!
Old 07-03-2003, 09:50 AM
///M POWER

shane,

you gonna sell the mods on ur car??
Old 07-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Jesus... These tranny failures seems to come in batches... Is it something to do with the alignment with the moon?

Weird...
Old 07-03-2003, 10:06 AM
///M POWER

Originally posted by Scrib
Jesus... These tranny failures seems to come in batches... Is it something to do with the alignment with the moon?

Weird...
thats gotta be it

nice analongy scrib....
Old 07-03-2003, 10:10 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tranny ACURACR.

Your dealership didn't give you any shit for all the mods on your car?
Old 07-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Banned

this thread is just one more nail in the coffin for alot of people, theres 3 or more people in this thread that currently have tranny failures in the last week.

2% my fucking ass acura!!!

what a joke...what a sad sad joke.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
thats gotta be it

nice analongy scrib....
:pfawk:

Old 07-03-2003, 10:46 AM
Revving at 9K...

Hey do you guys think that once they replace the tranny with the new ECU, our cars are basically tune down to the Level of a CLP?

Cause I called my dealer about spliting the cost of installing the CT Tranny cooler yesterday, and they said that it really has nothing to do with overheating and fluid break down, so they weren't going to work with the customers on this. It basically came down to the fact that the 5 speed tranny in our cars cannot handle the Type S HP/Tq, so their solution is put a new tranny (IMO, not fixed), but just down grade our ECU so we won't break the tranny again.

And I think that is F***ed up!!! If mine goes.. and I replace the tranny, and my butt dyno feels the difference in power, I'm getting rid of it too!!

I didn't think this at first and I was one who are willing to stick it out until when I'm really ready for a new car, but man.. after talking to the service guy at Acura yesterday, it completely changed my mind. Thanks Acura!! Now I feel like I wasted my money on the CT Tranny Cooler.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:51 AM
Banned

as fucked up and diabolical as is it for acura to DE-TUNE the cars, it makes alot of sense for them to do it. id be willing to bet that if anyone had the chance to dyno a CL-S with the stock ECU and then swap it with their bullshit new ECU, you would see a loss of power. sad sad sad, i feel bad for you guys that are being forced to take this crappy de-tuned ECU.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Racer

I don't care what anyone says, my car was not the same after the new tranny was installed. I don't have a dyno to prove it, but come on, we are all car nuts and know when our cars do not run as they should.
I know Acura has been known for quality and value, but after this experience, I can say that Honda/Acura will never get my $$ again. It's a shame because I (like most all of us here) really do love my car. Acura could have made things right, but they choose not to, so the hell w/ 'em!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:18 PM
Got Boost?

First off....thanks to everyone for the sympathy!!! I am pretty pissed about the whole matter...but not as much as most of you probably. The reason I'm not as pissed as you guys is because I am in the process of selling mine, and I just picked up my '94 Supra TT with 3,000 miles on it as wuzzz619 said!! I couldn't be happier!

Now to answer all the questions...

Originally posted by wuzzz619
Hey, what's up Acuracr. Sorry to hear about your tranny. I remember talking to you that one night at Qualcomm. Doesn't that supra only have like 3000 miles on it??? Oh yeah... are you still selling the Teins?
Yeah, I remember you...you were with your friend and I came up to you right? Nice car by the way! And yes you are correct about the miles...actually it has more like 4k on it now...close enough though. No...I'm not selling my Teins...I am selling the car as is....but if something changes...I will let you know. Good to hear from you...

Originally posted by AcAttack
Sorry to hear about your tranny ACURACR..

But I have a question.. is your dealerhip OK with all your mods?
I'm surprised they didn't try to blame the tranny failure on your mods..

Where'd you get them installed?
Originally posted by Chaptorial
Sorry to hear about your tranny ACURACR.

Your dealership didn't give you any shit for all the mods on your car?

Thanks for the sympathy once again. To answer your question...my dealer doesn't give me problems with all of my mods because they are the ones that installed them...They have done all the work and they warranty their work...so if something went wrong due to the mods...it would be on them as well...

shane,

you gonna sell the mods on ur car??
Sorry...I'm not selling the mods on my car...I am selling as is...don't wanna deal with the hassle....if something changes I will let you know as well. Thanks.

Thanks again.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i got my car back a couple hours ago. it feels fine, same as before except it shifts smoothly into 3rd gear now. i've only driven it for like 10 miles, so we'll see what happens.

i'm so glad to have it back. driving a mercury sable for two days was hell.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't know why Acura doesn't give us a 6-speed upgrade option when our tranny goes. I think it would save them more money in the long run.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:32 AM
It's easier to bleed

Originally posted by ABreece
I don't know why Acura doesn't give us a 6-speed upgrade option when our tranny goes. I think it would save them more money in the long run.
Or at least offer it as a low cost upgrade. If any of you are thinking of laying out the cash to upgrade to an '03 6-speed I have an Anthracite non-navi that is mint and on the market - I would drop the price down a grand or two for anyone on the board.

My Autotrader ad
Old 07-04-2003, 09:36 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
well my tranny is fine, but I had to have my battery replaced as well. it would die if I left the headlights on while getting gas.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:48 AM
Pro

i've been with a honda dealership for a little bit now and apparently the first wave of tranny replacements were just the same defective trannies...supposedly there's a product update now and that's why not as many 2nd and 3rd replacements are being installed these days...as for the ecm replacement...yeah that's an obvious one....i think the insight's are getting a similar "upgrade"
Old 07-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Got Boost?

Originally posted by Achance
well my tranny is fine, but I had to have my battery replaced as well. it would die if I left the headlights on while getting gas.
Yeah...same thing happened to me except it died just from leaving the lights on when I lock the car...knowing that they will turn off in a second...and then the car wouldn't start. I guess there was a bad cell or something....because it started soon after...anyways..I took at $70 hit on that one. Did they say what was wrong with yours? Thanks.

Old 07-04-2003, 11:54 PM
Back to Four Doors

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
no... not another one... I am still okay at 46kmiles. Unless the dealer replaced the tranny without my knowledge.
NHH ... not to cause you any worry but mine went to tranny heaven at 48K miles ...
Old 07-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by ACURACR
First off....thanks to everyone for the sympathy!!! I am pretty pissed about the whole matter...but not as much as most of you probably. The reason I'm not as pissed as you guys is because I am in the process of selling mine, and I just picked up my '94 Supra TT with 3,000 miles on it as wuzzz619 said!! I couldn't be happier!

Now to answer all the questions...

Yeah, I remember you...you were with your friend and I came up to you right? Nice car by the way! And yes you are correct about the miles...actually it has more like 4k on it now...close enough though. No...I'm not selling my Teins...I am selling the car as is....but if something changes...I will let you know. Good to hear from you...

Thanks for the sympathy once again. To answer your question...my dealer doesn't give me problems with all of my mods because they are the ones that installed them...They have done all the work and they warranty their work...so if something went wrong due to the mods...it would be on them as well...

Sorry...I'm not selling the mods on my car...I am selling as is...don't wanna deal with the hassle....if something changes I will let you know as well. Thanks.

Thanks again.

I don't know about owning that old of a car with so few miles. I hope that even while it was sitting around not getting any miles, it was still getting oil changes, regular maintenance, and driven every once in a while. Cars need to be driven regularly to be in the best shape and 4K miles in 9 years seem too few. I hope you don't have deposits lying around in your car. Especially you got a very nice car.