All this talk about 6 speed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001 | 03:35 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

All this talk about 6 speed...

It has me thinking that IF Acura does produce a 6-speed manual CL-S, I don't think I'd buy one.

Adding a manual to our car would improve the driving experience, but if I am going to have to work the clutch in Atlanta traffic, I am going to drive a car that will truly benefit from it. I.E.

Honda S2000
Nissan 350Z (Sorry, no brand loyalty here.)

Just my thoughts.
Old 11-26-2001 | 03:48 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

the 6speed manual will make the CLS a completely different car.
Old 11-26-2001 | 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

if i buy a stick, it will be a muscle car to use on weekends
i would not trade this car for anything, dollar for dollar, pound for pound

stop whining bitches
Old 11-26-2001 | 03:52 PM
Racer

I am with you on the traffic issue here in ATL. Its really bad trying to get home with our roads and traffic. I work 10-7 just in an effort to miss all the traffic
Old 11-26-2001 | 03:54 PM
Goldmember

damn right

I think the CLS is a great compromise for someone who can afford only one car and wants performance and luxury. But once I can afford it, I'm moving to a 2 seater w/ 6 speed and then sell my CL-S to get a Suburu wagon. I think S2000 is a bit small for me, a Nissan 350Z would be nice though... That way, I can have the sports car AND the utility car. Brand loyalty can bite me.

But in the mean time, I'm loving the CLS!
Old 11-26-2001 | 03:57 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: damn right

Originally posted by scl23
I think the CLS is a great compromise for someone who can afford only one car and wants performance and luxury. But once I can afford it, I'm moving to a 2 seater w/ 6 speed and then sell my CL-S to get a Suburu wagon. I think S2000 is a bit small for me, a Nissan 350Z would be nice though... That way, I can have the sports car AND the utility car. Brand loyalty can bite me.

But in the mean time, I'm loving the CLS!

you must be over 6ft because the 350z won't have that much more room. atleast i think not.
Old 11-26-2001 | 04:13 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

Originally posted by BSK181
if i buy a stick, it will be a muscle car to use on weekends
i would not trade this car for anything, dollar for dollar, pound for pound

stop whining bitches
Uhhh...that was not whining. I did not say I did not like my car. I simply said that I would not suffer the clutch in Atlanta traffic in a CL-S. If I were to go to a manual tranny, the performance capabilities of the car would have to have to make up for my suffering. IMO, the CL-S would not do that.
Old 11-27-2001 | 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Chrisbert

Uhhh...that was not whining. I did not say I did not like my car. I simply said that I would not suffer the clutch in Atlanta traffic in a CL-S. If I were to go to a manual tranny, the performance capabilities of the car would have to have to make up for my suffering. IMO, the CL-S would not do that.

Agreed -- same $hit in Los Angeles. Moments of intense fun mixed with brutal traffic congestion. Second car is has a stick, and I must have cycled the clutch pedal 20 times in a short block last week...

However, there is something about a nice Porsche with a slushbox that makes me want to puke
Old 11-27-2001 | 04:13 PM
Banned

I don't see the big deal with driving a stick in traffic. I drove the 1st 10 years in manuals before getting the CL. Guess what? Traffic sucks no matter what you drive. Since getting the CL, I have never once thought to myself, "Boy this traffic is so much easier with the auto." The only time I could see a stick being a real pain in the ass is in a very hilly place like SF. Other than that, a stick isn't bad when you have a light clutch like in a Honda/Acura.

Zapata- you're right about a manual making it a different car. I've driven the auto version of my last car (Integra) and the stick felt 500 lbs lighter and way faster. And the sound was totally different too. I'd really like to see the manual come with a slight drop. Nothing major so I'd have to drive sideways though driveways, but enough to let you know this isn't your mom's CL.
Old 11-27-2001 | 04:26 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by mdaniel
I don't see the big deal with driving a stick in traffic. I drove the 1st 10 years in manuals before getting the CL. Guess what? Traffic sucks no matter what you drive. Since getting the CL, I have never once thought to myself, "Boy this traffic is so much easier with the auto." The only time I could see a stick being a real pain in the ass is in a very hilly place like SF. Other than that, a stick isn't bad when you have a light clutch like in a Honda/Acura.

Zapata- you're right about a manual making it a different car. I've driven the auto version of my last car (Integra) and the stick felt 500 lbs lighter and way faster. And the sound was totally different too. I'd really like to see the manual come with a slight drop. Nothing major so I'd have to drive sideways though driveways, but enough to let you know this isn't your mom's CL.
Yeah, the only thing that's keep the CLS from being a very very very very nice luxo-sport coupe is the lack of a manual tranny and the crappy gearing; both of which can easily be addressed. The 4 and 5 gears are pretty bad for our cars an i think that they can raise 4 a tad an 5 from .4 to like.7 or something then they can leave 6th at .4 for all i care. Suspension and handeling can be corrected with some upgrades. Although the car won't be an m3 in manuverability, the CLS 6speed would be an amazing car with all the engine and suspension mods out there. I get giddy just thinking about it.
Old 11-27-2001 | 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mdaniel

Funny, with a good hand brake (right behind the shifter), I never have a problem with the hills (down here and in SF). I know how to heel-and-toe, so the hilly stuff is covered two ways. However, if you have a stiff knee (it does happen to some of us) and you can't just whack the car into neutral when traffic is moving in uneven spurts with people trying to jam their way in, it is knee ache time.

I prefer knee stretching and strengthening exercises to be elective (Hey, but that’s just me)

BTW -- regarding manuals and how the impact the feel of a car. I have seen more than my share of high-revving small displacement motor vehicles (with low torque and HP at high revs) destroyed by a slushbox. Then, look at the new 3.5L Altima with its very-tall 1st gear (and it even has torque)!
Old 11-27-2001 | 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata

Yeah, the only thing that's keep the CLS from being a very very very very nice luxo-sport coupe is the lack of a manual tranny and the crappy gearing; both of which can easily be addressed. The 4 and 5 gears are pretty bad for our cars an i think that they can raise 4 a tad an 5 from .4 to like.7 or something then they can leave 6th at .4 for all i care. Suspension and handeling can be corrected with some upgrades. Although the car won't be an m3 in manuverability, the CLS 6speed would be an amazing car with all the engine and suspension mods out there. I get giddy just thinking about it.
I would hope they would add some beefier tires, considering the current POS stock 215s can be made to squeal like piggies in 1st.

Some of the people driving the So Cal 6-speed test CLS said it would chirp out of the lower 3/4 gears!

Without the tires and wheels (and maybe even a LSD), the car could just end up as a tire eraser.

Yea, you sure are right about the upper gears -- they are geared for economy. (I'll take a 6-speed sequential manual with 4th gear topping out at 130, 5th at 150, and 6th geared like the current 5th [ for economy])
Old 11-27-2001 | 06:37 PM
Senior Moderator

let me pose this how many of you wouldnt prefer our current setup ...but, with 6 gears(6 gears addressing the tall 4th and 5th problem) and when in sport mode you get quick possitive shifts... in auto long and slow
Old 11-27-2001 | 07:24 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by typeR
let me pose this how many of you wouldnt prefer our current setup ...but, with 6 gears(6 gears addressing the tall 4th and 5th problem) and when in sport mode you get quick possitive shifts... in auto long and slow
every time you add a gear you add clutch wear/fluid contamination

for the past several years i drove a IROC-Z 5 speed and a Mustang GT 5-speed as well, its nice to put it in gear and go
Old 11-27-2001 | 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by typeR
Good point. I'd settle for 5 gears (4 street usable, 5th Hwy.) A good ECU (possibly AEM) should give us the ability to alter the shift point firmness in SS. This would be a tremendous improvement over OE.

Anyone have any new news on the AEM plug-n-play ECU's?
Old 11-27-2001 | 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by acura_service

every time you add a gear you add clutch wear/fluid contamination

for the past several years i drove a IROC-Z 5 speed and a Mustang GT 5-speed as well, its nice to put it in gear and go
Well, could turn this around and say... I'll take a 3-speed gear box for low fluid contamination and low clutch wear

OTOH -- with novel planetary gearing, more speeds with the same or less # of gears is possible...