ALL question and Details about MM aka RES

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MM is called RES

One of you rocket engineers bring that post over to this forum and save me the typing....Please.

Thx
Old 11-02-2001, 02:21 PM
Instructor

I'll try it,

MM has a name...RES
RES or Resonant Enhancement System is what the Mystery Mod is, and I will miss its adopted name dearly.....

Ever heard of the "intel inside"? For those of you who think its about increasing volume...I wish you luck in your quest. Its shape has been optimised (internally) for changing the way the plenum resonates in the 3800+ RPM range. The increased volume of the center plenum does help the torque band below 3800RPM but when designed wrong, looses upper end horsepower over stock. It took awhile to figure things out and many piles of scrap metal.

Additionally, the exterior has to be designed to accomodate the hood clearance and we have installed a few unwanted "power bulges" when shutting the hood or brake torqueing the motor. Of course when you change the exterior, you change the interior and this took the longest to find an acceptable balance between fitment and performance. Once again, I spoke to Tim at ACP and he is willing to supply Hoods for you experimenters on the boards.

Yes it will be in color if demand dictates....It will be Cast in a rough aluminum with a polished machined upper surface which is deep engraved with "RES" in italicized bold NASA lettering.

The part is protected by three seperate patents, one includes the design philosophy so that it can't be changed "slightly" and remarketed. We have partnered with a Patent Law firm to handle this for us....can't spend enough to protect good R & D these days.

That reminds me, naysayers, if it were a fraud, why spend the money to protect it?

The part production continues and should be available after a November test release to board members trusted by you the public and ACP.

Notes from our mule...The system makes no additional noise, has no noticible effect on fuel economy. CARB certification will be part of the November Test release of a "production example" and should proceed, well, as quickly as CARB proceeds.

I was in the Comptech booth not to "sell" my idea to them or form a cooperative with them and the S/C...I was doing what the board should do...applaud them on trying to deliver a product you all have talked about. Shad and I have worked on a few issues before and that is the extent of our "working together". We had a few laughs over how critical some booth patrons had been. We both agree that we don't know how well our products will work together.

I hope this helps answer the questions.

Syn
Old 11-02-2001, 02:24 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
beautiful!

let me know when I can get one.
Old 11-02-2001, 02:32 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

thanks that clarified alot of things,

The Type S with the RES
Old 11-02-2001, 02:34 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on all the hard work Doug. Contact me about a demo...
Old 11-02-2001, 02:39 PM
mister D

I would like to take part in the November test release, I have ordered from Tim before (intake/pulley) so I do not see any problems there... just let me know upon your decision.
Old 11-02-2001, 02:39 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Samer007
thanks that clarified alot of things,

The Type S with the RES
My sizzle got da rizzle nizzle!
Old 11-02-2001, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Contact me about a Demo too.
But seriously when can we place orders, and will there be a waiting list for them.
Old 11-02-2001, 02:40 PM
mister D

BTW: can it be color matched to the AEM cold air intakes? such as blue, or will this part not be visable once installed
Old 11-02-2001, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
to me it will always be the mysterymod ...doug since i guessed what it was back in oct 1....i should be the first allowed to purchase it...to the experts:...does it make sense that if you increased the size of the intake runners that the computer would sense the need for more fuel hence making to the experts:...does it make sense that if you increased the size of the intake runners that the computer would sense the need for more fuel hence making more power...
my thought s again are a plate that goes on top of the runners that mirror there path increasing there size ...any thoughts??? certainly a 5 min. bolt on...
....and went to explain...now see i thought i might be refering to what im describing incorrectly...when i say runners im talking about those little curvy channels just under the first plate, each with a hole at the end i meant enlarging .......plus i bet i can install it in 2 minutes with my cordless
Old 11-02-2001, 02:59 PM
Team Owner

I think someone should scan the SITE archives and find out who the people were that BASHED the hell out of this guy when he first started posting here about this MOD.

Their orders will be put on permanent backorder until everyone else already has their new toy installed.

Shawn S
Old 11-02-2001, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Shawn S
I think someone should scan the SITE archives and find out who the people were that BASHED the hell out of this guy when he first started posting here about this MOD.

Their orders will be put on permanent backorder until everyone else already has their new toy installed.

Shawn S
lmao
Old 11-02-2001, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
RES or M.Mod

Glad to hear it's all about over. Let's close the Hood on this one !

The Hood does close right ?
Old 11-02-2001, 03:10 PM
Racer

Put me on the double secret before everyone else order list.
Old 11-02-2001, 03:13 PM
Team Owner

Order priority should be sorted via membership registration date.

“Registered: Jan 2001” here.

Shawn S
Old 11-02-2001, 03:14 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will take a demo, make a dyno run as FREE service to the board.

And I needed in polished chrome to complement the polished Injen CAI?

A Review would be posted too.....

Old 11-02-2001, 03:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Order priority should be sorted via membership registration date.

“Registered: Jan 2001” here.

Shawn S
oh no i got notified late i was over there at TL going whats going on here ???we're movin again......if you do that then it goes back all the way to H-A.NET....
Old 11-02-2001, 03:17 PM
Blue Devil

Re: RES or M.Mod

Originally posted by caddy
Glad to hear it's all about over. Let's close the Hood on this one !

The Hood does close right ?
Yeah what was that about Tim will carry hoods for experimenters? Thats not for the RES/MM correct, it will fit in the stock engine bay right?

Brenden
Old 11-02-2001, 03:21 PM
Banned

Re: Re: RES or M.Mod

Originally posted by WI CLTypeS

Yeah what was that about Tim will carry hoods for experimenters? Thats not for the RES/MM correct, it will fit in the stock engine bay right?

Brenden
No that is for the RES
Old 11-02-2001, 03:31 PM
6 speed...

Re: Re: RES or M.Mod

Originally posted by WI CLTypeS

Brenden
I think syncivic was being sarcastic about the hoods thing (and I doubt tim would carry such a low volume part as an entire hood assembly). it should fit in the stock engine bay (remember this was supposed to be a <1 hour install for $300). I don't know if the black plastic engine cover can be retained as is, or will have to be modified or removed completely.
Old 11-02-2001, 04:07 PM
Drifting

Yeah what will have to be done to install this purdy thing . Do we have to remove anything else other than the stock gray plastic looking thing. Also can this mod do anything bad to the engine...should I be worrying about the warrantee as well. And what about the colors...I think you need to do it in red blue and polished...that would be sweet!
Old 11-02-2001, 04:23 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's awesome....

Doug, you always post and disappear...I guess cuz you're a busy man... By seriously...

When CAN I have one in my hands??

Old 11-02-2001, 04:24 PM
Rod
Drifting

I don't think I'd mind "testing" out the RES either.
Old 11-02-2001, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Great news! Well when it comes around time to test it on a j30 let me know and I will be glad to install it on my 3.0 '98
Old 11-02-2001, 04:31 PM
Adult Supervision

Shawn S
Nah, I think that is unfair. Just make them go through their only distributor, Chris Koncur! Just Kidding guys!
Old 11-02-2001, 05:06 PM
Old timer

So can you reproduce the MM's claimed power gains on a dyno? Everytime you run a car on a dyno you will get different results. Just because you made two back-to-back runs where the second beat the first by 20 horsepower doesn't necessarily mean it was the MM that gave it that increase. You need to show us a rack of dyno charts that show CONSISTENT gain of power.
Then I'll be sold.

Btw, if Tim carried hoods, someone could make a ram-air hood mod and sell that. I'd buy one if it looked cool.
Old 11-02-2001, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by MikeS 18

Nah, I think that is unfair. Just make them go through their only distributor, Chris Koncur! Just Kidding guys!
I wonder when his tour of the 8th ring of Hell will be finished and can return...

Old 11-02-2001, 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by JRock
So can you reproduce the MM's claimed power gains on a dyno? Everytime you run a car on a dyno you will get different results. Just because you made two back-to-back runs where the second beat the first by 20 horsepower doesn't necessarily mean it was the MM that gave it that increase. You need to show us a rack of dyno charts that show CONSISTENT gain of power.
Then I'll be sold.

Btw, if Tim carried hoods, someone could make a ram-air hood mod and sell that. I'd buy one if it looked cool.
NO MYSTERY MOD FOR YOU>>>ONE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!btw you need to cahnge dyno shops cause i've never heard of 20 HP variances between pulls????
Old 11-02-2001, 05:28 PM
Post it

Will it be available over the internet?

I want to order one as soon as they're available...

I just got a raise

P.S. I never ripped on the mystery mod
Old 11-02-2001, 06:20 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by typeR
NO MYSTERY MOD FOR YOU>>>ONE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!btw you need to cahnge dyno shops cause i've never heard of 20 HP variances between pulls????
I don't need to change anything, I've never even bothered to get my car dyno'd (why would I?).

Point is, just because you make one run on a dyno without the mod, then you bolt on the mod and make one more run and it happens to show 20 more HP doesn't mean anything unless the next couple dyno runs ALSO show the same +20hp.

I want to see several plots with it at +20hp, then I'll buy that it actually works.

Magnetic1 has had as much as 45hp differences on back-to-back dyno pulls. It can happen.

I just want to see that this mod actually works and isn't just someone sitting around and doing dyno pulls all day until they get one that is magically 20hp more than their lowest one so they claim this mod is the reason for it. That's all.

Let's just say after Xephyr and other bullshit with parts, I'm not about to give someone $300 for something they can only CLAIM offers an advantage.
Old 11-02-2001, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JRock

I don't need to change anything, I've never even bothered to get my car dyno'd (why would I?).

Point is, just because you make one run on a dyno without the mod, then you bolt on the mod and make one more run and it happens to show 20 more HP doesn't mean anything unless the next couple dyno runs ALSO show the same +20hp.

I want to see several plots with it at +20hp, then I'll buy that it actually works.

Magnetic1 has had as much as 45hp differences on back-to-back dyno pulls. It can happen.

I just want to see that this mod actually works and isn't just someone sitting around and doing dyno pulls all day until they get one that is magically 20hp more than their lowest one so they claim this mod is the reason for it. That's all.

Let's just say after Xephyr and other bullshit with parts, I'm not about to give someone $300 for something they can only CLAIM offers an advantage.

Comment:

Chris, did make a good product, it just ended up badly (condolences to all of those people that had to snack on Tums and Mylanta tables).

It is good to be skeptical, but sometimes this place gets so "tough" that it feels like a dyno, 1/4-mile sheet, notarized witness statements, and a panel of senior members is required to "approve" or "accept" some of the stuff.

So, I would hope that some of the folks here would dyno the product and might even test it in the winter when it is cold (Ok, I’m just curious about the air density $hit…)

I am curious where you saw the +25HP difference in pulls. As a note, if a lot of members DID NOT see the claimed gains, Tim (who is very reliable) would be handling a lot of returns and a lot of people would be looking rather bad.

So, yes, I guess we will all see soon enough (statement of the obvious)...

-- WHO PLANS ON DOING BEFORE AND AFTER DYNOS???
Old 11-02-2001, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Doug, glad to hear you were able to show the product to at least a couple people at SEMA. Add me to the list of people that are very interested in this product. I guess the $300 is worth it then since you had to get the internal structure just right in order to provide a resonance charge that actually benefits the car. My only problem is, I already have hood clearance issues with the OEM plate on the manifold, your RES plate will literally have to go through my hood in order to work . Guess I'll need a fiberglass hood with a huge hood cowl ...

Old 11-02-2001, 08:56 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

For you people bitching about the color offerings you really need to chill out! How many times do you actually sit and stare at your engine bay anyways?

I mean really, I'll take a shit brown RES with puke green blotches and pink blisters if it gets me 20HP!
Old 11-02-2001, 09:11 PM
Retired Post Whore

Hurry up and get it in production cuz I want to put that boy in my Biscuit!
Old 11-02-2001, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by wayneg
Congrats on all the hard work Doug. Contact me about a demo...
Ditto. I cannot state how giddy I am right now. I got to Wayne's post, and skipped right to the chase.

Thanks for a great opener to the thread. I've posted in earlier threads I'm ready for your little engineering marvel now. If your looking for a tester in Ohio (each state should have a testbed for data, eh?,) please let it be me!

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 11-02-2001, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

EricL - I'll do before and after dyno's. I wanted to do a baseline on my car soon anyway.

JZ - LMAO! Agreed, corn laden poop brown will do fine!

Jim
Old 11-02-2001, 10:52 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 644 Likes on 285 Posts
I would love to be the Canadian tester
thanks Doug!
Old 11-02-2001, 11:45 PM
Suzuka Master

I can test it for the nova/md/dc people!
Great work Doug! madd props man!
Old 11-03-2001, 12:20 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by typeR
...if you do that then it goes back all the way to H-A.NET....
Funny, I just checked over there and I am still an “active” member that registered on 05-04-2000.

405 posts, but my last one was on 09-19-2000 04:15 PM.

Shawn S
Old 11-03-2001, 05:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Shawn S
I like your thinking!
I was also thinking we would only allow pre-ordering to previous customers
You know, TL/CL owners who purchased their parts from ACP, thus helping with the support of the forums directly, and the support to make available more parts for our cars. Like I brought out in my
Welcome Post on A-TL

Then let the members on A-TL/A-CL who have not supported us, and bought their parts elsewhere, wait

I will post when pre-ordering will be accepted

Quick Reply: ALL question and Details about MM aka RES