To all nick pickers in this forum...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001 | 04:38 PM
Intermediate

To all nick pickers in this forum...

I see lots of complaints in this forum about the miscellaneous minor quality problem in our CL. Many people are stating that those things are "unacceptable" in the $30,000 car. I see it little differently.

To me, the CL is nothing more than a better version of Honda Accord and they actually share lots of common parts and manufacturing process. Whether you like it or not, the CL's build quality is nothing better than the Accord.

It is my guess that CL is the most expensive car that most of the people here have owned so far and it is quite understandable that they expect their car to be perfect. While most mid-size family cars cost nearly $25,000 these days, our $30,000 CL is NOT an expensive car and we shouldn't expect its build quality to match the Mercedes or Lexus.

I used to have both Mercedes and Lexus before and their build quality and use of material simply cannot be matched by Acura. Even their dealer service and quality is so much better than Acura's, it's almost like talking to people from a different planet. It is true that you get what you pay for.

I personally believe the CL offers tremendous value and quality for the money. So all you nick pickers out there, instead of complaining all the time, start making more money if you really want the "perfect" car.

------------------
2001 CL Type S, Navi, Silver, Spoiler
Old 05-24-2001 | 04:48 PM
Dub Driver

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Luxnite:
I see lots of complaints in this forum about the miscellaneous minor quality problem in our CL. Many people are stating that those things are "unacceptable" in the $30,000 car. I see it little differently.

To me, the CL is nothing more than a better version of Honda Accord and they actually share lots of common parts and manufacturing process. Whether you like it or not, the CL's build quality is nothing better than the Accord.

It is my guess that CL is the most expensive car that most of the people here have owned so far and it is quite understandable that they expect their car to be perfect. While most mid-size family cars cost nearly $25,000 these days, our $30,000 CL is NOT an expensive car and we shouldn't expect its build quality to match the Mercedes or Lexus.

I used to have both Mercedes and Lexus before and their build quality and use of material simply cannot be matched by Acura. Even their dealer service and quality is so much better than Acura's, it's almost like talking to people from a different planet. It is true that you get what you pay for.

I personally believe the CL offers tremendous value and quality for the money. So all you nick pickers out there, instead of complaining all the time, start making more money if you really want the "perfect" car.

</font>
Regardless of how much money you make you should expect a good product for whatever money you pay. I would not drive a $12k Civic out the dealership with stuff falling apart and not worry about it just because it was cheaper than a bentley.

------------------
1992 VW Passat; 2.0L 134 hp 4-cyl; 5-speed; Single exhaust; Single engine; Wanna race ? ;-)
Old 05-24-2001 | 04:56 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by batra:
Regardless of how much money you make you should expect a good product for whatever money you pay. I would not drive a $12k Civic out the dealership with stuff falling apart and not worry about it just because it was cheaper than a bentley.

</font>
exactly!
Old 05-24-2001 | 05:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Hate to tell you, but I've know people with stables with some of the most expensive cars made on the planet, and a good bunch of them had "problems" of one kind or another.

I don't think that throwing money at a high priced car is any guaranty of "quality" and a "ticket" to zero problems. (my opinion)

As far as expectations and nitpicking go. I have some tiny noises that come and go (as I have had with most cars I've driven). On the other hand, some of the people here have NOT been so lucky -- perhaps they got lemons.

To compound the problem, some of these unfortunate folks have ended up with surly and ignorant dealers who have only compounded the problem by trying to pass off serious malfunctions/breakage (like bad transmissions, etc) as driver abuse.

So, if someone wants to nitpick here -- this is a tough crowd -- and I am sure someone will say, "Shut up you whining fool..."

If you are going to make a product, make it right. There is no excuse for ANY product that is built in a slipshod manner. I believe the Japanese (and others) taught the Americans (us) quite a lesson in the seventies about the cost of low quality.

BTW -- I'm happy with my car, and "nick Pickers" is nitpickers

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 05-24-2001).]
Old 05-24-2001 | 05:17 PM
Banned

Nitpicking? Not me...

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
Old 05-24-2001 | 05:36 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

It is not the most expensive car I have ever owned. A '94 Lexus GS300 was $46,000, a 2001 Audi A6 was $42,000, etc. I'll pick all the nits and lice I please, thank you. Nick pickers would probably relate to paint nicks and I have a few of those too. That's exactly what this forum is for. What a boring place to be if we all sat around and typed how wonderful our cars are.

BTW Nits are lice eggs, hence the saying "picking nits and lice"

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Xephyr CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005
Cupholder Ver 2.0 Part#77237-SOK-A02

gto2050 - The voice of absolutely no reason whatsoever!
Old 05-24-2001 | 05:58 PM
Pro

I have been a Service Director for both Lexus, Toyota and Caddy in my career. I am here to tell you that they all, I repeat all, have their share of problems. I believe that the level of service we provide here at Park Ave is equal to that of any Lexus dealer service department. There is nothing wrong with owners coming on here and voicing their opinions about thier cars. I also agree that many of the complaints are minor, but they are still valid. The difference between Lexus and Acura owners, as I see it is- Acura owners will come on and admit there are problems with thier cars, whereas the average Lexus owner will complain to his dealer, but rarely admit any problem to the public. They don't want to diminish the "prestige" of their vehicle or their decision to purchase a vehicle that, by its very cost, should be perfect.
We deal with people every day from this and other boards. Yes, sometimes the issues we address may be trivial, but, we do our best to make each and every one right to the best of our ability. Does it affect the car if one exhaust tip is 1/4" lower than the other? Of course not, but it does effect the owners perception of happiness with his ride and that is what we are fixing.
Keep up the comments and dialogs. Just remember, most dealers are yet to come to the realization of what it takes to really provide good service. Its changing, so give them a chance. (or come to us )

End Rant.

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
*** The opinons expressed above are my own and I in no way speak for American Honda or Acura. ***

2002 TL-S Black on Black
Factory Body Kit, Factory Spoiler, Comptech Springs, Comptech Sways, Comptech Headers, Comptech Exhaust, Xephyr CAI
Tuning by Jens
Old 05-24-2001 | 06:01 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Well put Wayne.... now that you mention it, my right exhaust IS lower than my left!

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Xephyr CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005
Cupholder Ver 2.0 Part#77237-SOK-A02

gto2050 - The voice of absolutely no reason whatsoever!
Old 05-24-2001 | 06:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wayneg:
I have been a Service Director for both Lexus, Toyota and Caddy in my career. I am here to tell you that they all, I repeat all, have their share of problems. I believe that the level of service we provide here at Park Ave is equal to that of any Lexus dealer service department. There is nothing wrong with owners coming on here and voicing their opinions about thier cars. I also agree that many of the complaints are minor, but they are still valid. The difference between Lexus and Acura owners, as I see it is- Acura owners will come on and admit there are problems with thier cars, whereas the average Lexus owner will complain to his dealer, but rarely admit any problem to the public. They don't want to diminish the "prestige" of their vehicle or their decision to purchase a vehicle that, by its very cost, should be perfect.
We deal with people every day from this and other boards. Yes, sometimes the issues we address may be trivial, but, we do our best to make each and every one right to the best of our ability. Does it affect the car if one exhaust tip is 1/4" lower than the other? Of course not, but it does effect the owners perception of happiness with his ride and that is what we are fixing.
Keep up the comments and dialogs. Just remember, most dealers are yet to come to the realization of what it takes to really provide good service. Its changing, so give them a chance. (or come to us )

End Rant.

</font>
Come to think of it I do hear a rattle thanks for reminding me Wayne J/K well said .

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Really Cool Mesh Grill
Custom BASS by <A HREF="http://www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura" TARGET=_blank>www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura</A> Integra GSR
Old 05-24-2001 | 06:08 PM
Pro

Hey Pooba- any chance you can stop in before the meet? I have a couple of things to get your opinion on.

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
*** The opinons expressed above are my own and I in no way speak for American Honda or Acura. ***

2002 TL-S Black on Black
Factory Body Kit, Factory Spoiler, Comptech Springs, Comptech Sways, Comptech Headers, Comptech Exhaust, Xephyr CAI
Tuning by Jens
Old 05-24-2001 | 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

hey my right one hangs alittle low too but my exhaust is straight LOLwell said wayne

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list
ITR.'98gt,GTP,contour SVT
GS-R,87 GT,supra...and more to come
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 05-24-2001 | 07:33 PM
Banned

My exhaust shakes a little on one side...

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
Old 05-24-2001 | 07:34 PM
SatinCL

Actually, it's " N I T picker" but I don't wanna nitpick.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P
Performance: Headers, K&N Drop-In, Comptech Springs/Sways, 17" Borbet T's & Eagle RS-A's.
Other: Flaps, X-Pel Clear Bra, Cannon Mats, & Burlwood Shift Knob.

Worst Stock GTech: 7.15
Current G-Tech (2/11): 6.33
Old 05-24-2001 | 07:51 PM
Pro

look , I basically agree with what anyone says . I mean comeon, If I buy a tshirt for $5 dollars I dont expect it to fall apart as soon as I put it on because it was only 5 bucks.
And let me tell you , I have friends who have lexuses , jags, mercedes and they have all seen bad dealers and things wrong with their car. There is no perfect car. Everybody will find something wrong with everycar , humans are just that way .
besides bitching about it is all the fun . And like Wayne said we are not hiding it like the guys that paid double. We know we have the problem and we want to fix it. it helps everyone.I have fixed some quirks from what I have read other people complain about and I am sure so have many people. Keep the bitching up

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S
San Marino red
non nav.
Old 05-24-2001 | 08:31 PM
Burning Brakes

To me, the CL is nothing more than a better version of Honda Accord and they actually share lots of common parts and manufacturing process. Whether you like it or not, the CL's build quality is nothing better than the Accord.</font>
And the ES300 is nothing better than the build quality of a Camry, and the same goes for the I30 ..

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Generalization #1
</font>
I currently own a '99 Benz E320, just got rid of my '94 Lexus ES300, and have owned a '96 C280 --> you want to talk about my problems w/ these vehicles? It'll take a couple pages. All in all, they've held up (are holding up) but they've had their share of "nitpicky" issues. As far as fit and finish in the MB, how about splintered wood, vibrations and squeaks and rattles for starters ... oh and interior lining falling off?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Generalization #2
Even their dealer service and quality is so much better than Acura's, it's almost like talking to people from a different planet. It is true that you get what you pay for.
</font>
I don't know where you serviced your Mercedes, but EVERY dealership in the midwest I've been to has treated me w/ no respect, and has usually, and typically botched the repair job --> I'd love to post some invoices for RE-repairs for ya if you stand by MB's services so strongly -- Lexus takes the cake though, I had nothing but joy coming out of that dealership/servicecenter. Acura has treated me wonderfully so far, and I expect nothing less from them in the future --> for Pete's sake, even my Isuzu serviceguys treat me w/ more respect and dignity than the MB people. I've taken that god-awful Isuzu back to them countless times for warranty work w/o them hassling me or expressing their unwillingness to repair the vehicle.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Generalization #3
start making more money if you really want the "perfect" car.
</font>
If you consider the S-Class to be one of the most perfect autos on the road --> I'd love to go in-depth w/ you about my dad's S-Class and all the problems he's had w/ that so far ('00 w/ 3K miles on it -- oh, and I think he makes enough money .. considering the car was $95,000). Generalizations about anything will lead to the harshest criticisms.

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
1999 MB E320 4-matic
M3_Killer .. in the snow
1998 Isuzu Rodeo
M3_Killer ... off-road
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1629963&a=12459969&f=0
" TARGET=_blank>Click Here for Pics!
</A>
Old 05-24-2001 | 08:39 PM
Fight On SC!

we don't go on this forum to kiss each other's ass for buying the cl, but rather share info and find solutions to problems. maybe even a little networking. as far as the nitpicking is concerned, by all means nitpick. wayne is right, most complaints are valid.

------------------
2001 silver cl type s
Old 05-25-2001 | 12:32 AM
Fastdriver

Does it affect the car if one exhaust tip is 1/4" lower than the other? Of course not, but it does effect the owners perception of happiness with his ride and that is what we are fixing.

</font>
Mmmm.......speaking of that, WHY is it that they all seem to be like that on the right? Same with the trunk gap. I noticed that when washing my car. The wash mitt has a tight squeeze around the left muffler, but plenty of room around the right one. I don't really consider that a problem, but I don't think it should be like that. Same with the trunk gap. My car was built in March 2001. I think many people here that are talking about the same things had their cars long before me. WHY does it take Acura so long to "fix" it? Do you, as an Acura employee have any input via the factory rep to get word back to the assembly line to check these things out and see why they are happening only on ONE side?

Is there an "easy" fix for these things at the dealer level without making things worse?

Thanks.

------------------
fastdriver
2001 San Marino Red w/parchment interior.[*]Mudguards[*]Bra[*]No nav.[*]No spoiler.[*]Lojack[*]Four coats of Zaino Z2/Z6 and three of Z5/Z6 so far! That red is gleaming![*] Number 34331.[*]Built 3/01.[*]Bought 3/28/01
fastdriver's CL without Zaino!
fastdriver's CL with 3 coats of Zaino and the last two with 4 coats of Z-2/Z-6
Click here if Yahoo photos don't work.
fastdriver's previous cars. The 300M has Zaino.
Bra pics 5/13/01.
My car in movies!

Accept mediocrity and that's all you'll ever get!

[This message has been edited by fastdriver (edited 05-24-2001).]
Old 05-25-2001 | 12:45 AM
Race Director

our $30,000 CL is NOT an expensive car and we shouldn't expect its build quality to match the Mercedes or Lexus.

I used to have both Mercedes and Lexus before and their build quality and use of material simply cannot be matched by Acura.
</font>

theres the family..

you want quality you get a damn lexus! that thing is like a rolex..its made PERFECT. Once you get the couple of rattles that most Rx300 have, its a GREAT car.

you want your dollars worth with a mix of quality, you get the Acura, i have a shitty CL, lots of problems, but i think its a lemon..i think the CL is a great car, and love, and if had a choice to go for a cruise in any of those 3 cars, a choice i have every morning,i would choose the CL.

you want to waste your money on a peice of shitty plastic, that i admit, wont give you any major problems??..get the ML320..you wont be going to the service department for your engine, but then again..you are gonna be driving a pricey peice of shit that has has leather that i swear is trying to immitate vynel, THE SHITTIEST SOUND SYSTEM EVER, plastic everything..etc

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs
Old 05-25-2001 | 12:50 AM
Instructor

its my first car and i didn't really have a say in the matter. i'm just tryin to floss my ride man, no matter what the cost. i did pay a lot of money for my car which i could have gotten something faster like a piece of shit z28 or even an m3. but the fact of the matter is that i'd rather have a CL with every option then a honda civic with a body kit that sounds like a lawnmower commin down the street on chop sticks.

------------------
97 Black on Black 2.2L Beast.
limo tint all around
1 alpine 12 in the trunk powered by an mtx amp

pics soon to come.
Old 05-25-2001 | 01:04 AM
do it yourself, !

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TL_Type_S:
I don't know where you serviced your Mercedes, but EVERY dealership in the midwest I've been to has treated me w/ no respect, and has usually, and typically botched the repair job --> I'd love to post some invoices for RE-repairs for ya if you stand by MB's services so strongly -- Lexus takes the cake though, I had nothing but joy coming out of that dealership/servicecenter. Acura has treated me wonderfully so far, and I expect nothing less from them in the future --> for Pete's sake, even my Isuzu serviceguys treat me w/ more respect and dignity than the MB people. I've taken that god-awful Isuzu back to them countless times for warranty work w/o them hassling me or expressing their unwillingness to repair the vehicle.

</font>
WOW it seems like MB service varies by state. Ever since I've gotten my E320, I've been given the royal treatment. When I walk into the service department, they pretty much roll out the red carpet every time. They give me another Benz as a loner when they keep it for more than 2 hours. I must say there's a huge difference in the E's and ML's quality. That SOS button is amazing. I had a flat tire one day going to work and pressed it so someone can come and change it. I just waited while they changed it and when I got to work, I received a phone call from them, to make sure I was ok...this just locked me down as a Benz owner for LIFE. I've had it for about 20k miles and nothing wrong whatsoever...not even little factory bugs that require me to visit them other than for scheduled maintenance. Maybe if I move to another state, I'll think twice about buying another MB.

jeremy

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S
Black - Ebony Interior - Spoiler - 20% Tint - Cleared Headlights - Complete bulb replacement with Polargs
18" SSR GPO DeColte Evolutions on Nitto 555's - Comptech Headers - Eibach Springs

2000 Mercedes Benz E320
Black - Black Interior - Nav - Chrome AMG Rims (Sold)
Old 05-25-2001 | 01:09 AM
Old timer

Just to nitpick:

It's nit pick not nick pick. Nick picking is what you do when you sign up for the first time.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.
Old 05-25-2001 | 01:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Hey Pooba- any chance you can stop in before the meet? I have a couple of things to get your opinion on.

</font>
Sure Wayne, I'll call you tommorow

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Really Cool Mesh Grill
Custom BASS by <A HREF="http://www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura" TARGET=_blank>www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura</A> Integra GSR
Old 05-25-2001 | 01:36 AM
ACME sucks!

I will admit that I have complained about several issues I've had with my car (moonroof rattles, hairy seats, paint chips, center console squeaks, etc). I feel that I have every right to complain, it's MY car. I feel that, for this type of car, it should not be having the same problems that my Camaros and Sebring had. But, as Wayne said, all cars do have problems, and I realize that.... but problems don't get fixed unless they are brought to the attention of the dealers, mechanics, manufacturers, and/or every Joe out there driving the same car as you.

As for Lexus, again, I agree with Wayne. Those cars are no better than an Acura or Infinity, and not nearly as good as BMW and Mercedes. It's just that Lexus owners have big egos around the general public and a totally different position when at the dealer. You'll never hear a Lexus owner bitch, unless you're at a the Lexus dealer when they're there trying to get something fixed.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 05-25-2001 | 01:58 AM
Safety Car

Hmm..I know a lot of people say that the CL is really an accord, but the accord is a 3.0L while the new CLs are 3.2L. That to me is just not the same.

------------------
Tw1112