Air pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 03:40 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air pressure

What should my air pressure be in an 03 Cl-S tire? It looks low and im too lazy to get off my butt and look in the manual.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Stocks are supposed to be at 32 psi...they look low for me too...i think 34 or 35 would be better, but i'll just follow the directions and leave mine at 32.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:32 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

u dont have to go look in the manual... its right there on the lower part of the b-pillar once u open the door
Old 12-03-2002, 10:49 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up my CL-S a last week and immediatly checked the sidewall (most accurate place for correct psi. info) because the car felt sluggish and not responsive.......and it says 41 max. psi. so Put them all at an even 40 (hot psi. of course) and it feels excellent now. NOOOO. there not overinflated ......
Old 12-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by 6speedctrlfreak
I picked up my CL-S a last week and immediatly checked the sidewall (most accurate place for correct psi. info) because the car felt sluggish and not responsive.......and it says 41 max. psi. so Put them all at an even 40 (hot psi. of course) and it feels excellent now. NOOOO. there not overinflated ......

Who told you that the tire's sidewall told you the proper pressure for your car?

Think about it...the tires on your car are made for any number of cars. Do you think they all require the same pressure?

NEVER EVER use the maximum pressure as a gauge for proper tire pressure. It is always the car's recommended pressure. 40psi is way too much pressure for those tires on the CL. Guaranteed you'll wear out the center of your tires in short order.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:39 PM
Pro

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
Who told you that the tire's sidewall told you the proper pressure for your car?

Think about it...the tires on your car are made for any number of cars. Do you think they all require the same pressure?

NEVER EVER use the maximum pressure as a gauge for proper tire pressure. It is always the car's recommended pressure. 40psi is way too much pressure for those tires on the CL. Guaranteed you'll wear out the center of your tires in short order.

That dude's got some MAJOR overinflation issues. The car is really unstable with 40 PSI in the tires. If you think about it, they are balooning out, so you no longer have a flat contact patch, but an arc.

The sidewall pressure just represents the pressure when the tires die. I suppose if he puts 3-4 bodies in the trunk, then there will be enough weight to utilize the 40 PSI.....

Old 12-05-2002, 05:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MXM4 pressure recommendations and other issues

Originally posted by Wires

The sidewall pressure just represents the pressure when the tires die. I suppose if he puts 3-4 bodies in the trunk, then there will be enough weight to utilize the 40 PSI.....

The sidewall pressure indicates the max cold inflation pressure that a tire will take. If you are going to be dragging 4 giants for a trip through the dessert, there is precedent for raising the pressure ABOVE the factory recommended 32 PSI. Here is a link that might come in handy for members with stock MXM4 tires on their cars: Michelin MXM4 Specification Sheet (.pdf).

The table DOES NOT recommend 41 PSI for any high-speed condition. However, the max pressure is the "max inflation pressure to be used when the tire is cold." The implication is: the tire WILL stand the pressure on the side of the tread. The question is when and where to use additional pressure. The Acura CL Type-S clearly recommends 32PSI front and rear inflation pressures for “average”/”normal”/”typical” use.. Depending on load and driving conditions, this amount can be raised on the front and/or rear to suit conditions. It might not hurt to raise the pressure a bit to accommodate high-speed commuting and large drivers -- and/or heavy loads.

The table included in the MXM4 line above DOES have specific recommendations for the MXM4, V rated tire, when it is used for high speed driving (see page 1, notes, and table). The max pressure to be used when driving at 149 MPH is 32 + 5 = 38 PSI.

These tires are XL-rated tires and support their full 93-load rating at 35PSI. SL rated tires -- which are more common -- support MORE load with increasing tire pressure. In fact, most SL rated tires support the maximum load (93 for example) at their maximum cold inflation pressure.

NOTE:

Just to be clear: I’m NOT recommending that anyone drive around with 41 PSI in their MXM4 tires. I am pointing out that the pressure is the max cold pressure and can be used if warranted. I personally don't know when it would be warranted on this particular car with its load within factory design limits...

YMMV
Old 12-05-2002, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

With a front wheel drive vehicle, everything else being equal, a slight differential toward the front pressures gives you better handling with no increase in tire wear. I run 35 to 35 front and the recomended 32 rear.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:14 AM
Masshole

I run 32 PSI, per the Acura specification.