air conditioning question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 02:24 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air conditioning question...

maybe i'm the only lucky one with this problem: the a/c is on, nice and cold, i floor the petal and the are coming out becomes just air, no cold. i just had the air conditioning clutch replaced because the car was making noises at idle, but i'm still having the "no cold" problem. anyone else?

------------------
'01 CL-S black bone stock
with the best radar in the world, Valentine One
Old 06-29-2001, 02:35 AM
Back to Four Doors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by davematthews-CL-S:
maybe i'm the only lucky one with this problem: the a/c is on, nice and cold, i floor the petal and the are coming out becomes just air, no cold. i just had the air conditioning clutch replaced because the car was making noises at idle, but i'm still having the "no cold" problem. anyone else?
</font>
In my experience (with the CL and others), when you "floor it", the A/C compressor will be "by-passed" or "dis-engaged" so as to not take away power. When you "release" the accelerator, the A/C should go back to normal cooling ...

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK, Comptech Sways
Lic: THX CBOE
Old 06-29-2001, 03:02 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of air conditioning, does anyone know what the horsepower loss is when running? I've always wondered due to how much more sluggish the car is when it's on.

------------------
San Marino Red
Spoiler
Comptech Headers
Comptech Sways
Toyo Proxes T1-S
Valentine One
Old 06-29-2001, 03:45 AM
Instructor

The a/c compressor is not made to run at high revs. It is deactivated after certain RPMs.
This is normal and common in many cars.
Having said that, you should always turn the a/c off before diong some spirited driving.

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Old 06-29-2001, 10:39 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Red Rider:
Speaking of air conditioning, does anyone know what the horsepower loss is when running? I've always wondered due to how much more sluggish the car is when it's on.

</font>
In the old days, the general rule of thumb is 10 hps for the A/C. It is not a small loss, but again this loss is at WOT. Therefore you would not notice it during normal driving.

Old 06-29-2001, 01:31 PM
on bin laden

sled dog is right, depending on the car. my licoln continetal would not give up the AC no matter how hard I pressed it. Priority in that car was passenger comfort, whereas our car is more performance oriented. I can't even express to you how much my old car died with the AC on.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lead_sled_dog:
Originally posted by davematthews-CL-S:
</font>
In my experience (with the CL and others), when you "floor it", the A/C compressor will be "by-passed" or "dis-engaged" so as to not take away power. When you "release" the accelerator, the A/C should go back to normal cooling ...

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Eibach Pro-Kit (Waiting to be installed)
*Neuspeed Front Lower Tie Bar (Waiting to be installed)
*Neuspeed Front Upper Tie Bar (On it's way)
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19224, 19169
*Rockford 500a2 [FOR SALE]
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2) [FOR SALE]
*77237-SOK-A02
---Proud member of the scratched rim club---
Old 06-29-2001, 02:37 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Beach-CL:
The a/c compressor is not made to run at high revs. It is deactivated after certain RPMs.
This is normal and common in many cars.
Having said that, you should always turn the a/c off before diong some spirited driving.

</font>

Wrong. The A/C comp is capable of turning at max engine rpms all day. It is not deactivated due to any rpm. It does disengage momentarily during WOT to eliminate parasitic drag on the engine and allow more engine power to propel the car.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Tom2: The Voice Of Reason
Old 06-29-2001, 03:02 PM
Instructor

"The A/C comp is capable of turning at max engine rpms all day."
Really?
I don't know where you got this info. but you can go ahead and do that if you car allows it.

The first thing to go will probably be the clutch engaging and disengaging at high RPMs if allowed, not to mention other moving parts inside.
This is not an alternator we are talking about.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom2:

Wrong. The A/C comp is capable of turning at max engine rpms all day. It is not deactivated due to any rpm. It does disengage momentarily during WOT to eliminate parasitic drag on the engine and allow more engine power to propel the car.

</font>

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Old 06-29-2001, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Really?
I don't know where you got this info. but you can go ahead and do that if your car allows it.

The first thing to go will probably be the clutch engaging and disengaging at high RPMs if allowed, not to mention other moving parts inside.

</font>

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Old 06-29-2001, 03:22 PM
Unregistered Member

Really?
I don't know where you got this info. but you can go ahead and do that if you car allows it.

</font>
Okay, try this:

Put your car into SS mode with your a/c off. Now bring the rpms up close to redline and hold them there (in whatever gear you choose).

Now turn on the a/c.

Wow, it worked! For some strange reason, the a/c compressor will engage at a very high rpm.

Sorry, but your theory is shot down, bud.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 06-29-2001, 03:32 PM
Instructor

"Now bring the rpms up close to redline and hold them there (in whatever gear you choose)."

Yeah right! You try that on yours kid.

Your sig. will soon read:

proud owner of a Hundai
dead 99 M3
dead CL-S

Okay, try this:

Put your car into SS mode with your a/c off. Now bring the rpms up close to redline and hold them there (in whatever gear you choose).

Now turn on the a/c.

Wow, it worked! For some strange reason, the a/c compressor will engage at a very high rpm.

Sorry, but your theory is shot down, bud.

</font>

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Old 06-29-2001, 03:34 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">. i just had the air conditioning clutch replaced because the car was making noises at idle,</font>
Hmm I wonder if that's the noise I'm hearing. Maybe not though, since the A/C isn't on when I hear the noise in my engine block area.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
50% tint sides, 35% back.
J&J custom CAI
Comptech drop-in filter.
I smell Comptech springs and sways in the near future! w00t!
Old 06-29-2001, 03:50 PM
Unregistered Member

"Now bring the rpms up close to redline and hold them there (in whatever gear you choose)."

Yeah right! You try that on yours kid.

Your sig. will soon read:

proud owner of a Hundai
dead 99 M3
dead CL-S

</font>
Okay, whatever. I now see that I'm dealing with somebody that is totally ignorant about cars. Did you ever stop to think that ANY car should not have a problem running just under redline? Even sustained running.
If yours does, then you have not maintained it properly/have really high mileage/or just have a piece of shit for a car.

Do you know why engineers even put a redline on the tach? Do you think that they just choose the redline at random? (Hmmmm, this S2000 should have the redline at 5000 rpm, nah, let's make it 9000 rpm)

By the way, if my M3 died, I'd get another. And learn how to spell "Hyundai" if you're gonna use it in your post.

But back to the topic-- You're severely misinformed about automotive a/c compressors. Instead of trying to make yourself look intelligent, next time try doing a little research about the subject before offering bullshit advice.

You'll look less like a fool than you do now, bud.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 06-29-2001, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Thought we were talking a/c here. I don't see any redlining in the initial post.

I am sooo sorry for missing the "y" on Hyundai, gee kid, it's time to remove that stick up you butt.

You have a very nice car in the M3 hope you enjoy it for a long time.

Okay, whatever. I now see that I'm dealing with somebody that is totally ignorant about cars. Did you ever stop to think that ANY car should not have a problem running just under redline? Even sustained running.
If yours does, then you have not maintained it properly/have really high mileage/or just have a piece of shit for a car.

Do you know why engineers even put a redline on the tach? Do you think that they just choose the redline at random? (Hmmmm, this S2000 should have the redline at 5000 rpm, nah, let's make it 9000 rpm)

By the way, if my M3 died, I'd get another. And learn how to spell "Hyundai" if you're gonna use it in your post.

But back to the topic-- You're severely misinformed about automotive a/c compressors. Instead of trying to make yourself look intelligent, next time try doing a little research about the subject before offering bullshit advice.

You'll look less like a fool than you do now, bud.

</font>

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Old 06-29-2001, 04:05 PM
Unregistered Member

Thought we were talking a/c here. I don't see any redlining in the initial post.

</font>
Yeah, that's right. But YOU said the the a/c will shut down during high rpm. I just told you to try turning it on at high rpm to see what happens......

Like I said, you're misinformed. Don't try to be a know-it-all, unless you actually know something about the subject that you're offering advice.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 06-30-2001, 01:21 AM
Instructor

poop

------------------
'01 CL-S black bone stock
with the best radar in the world, Valentine One