Aem fic

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 02:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aem fic

Does anyone know how this thing works on our cars? my ECU is really slowing my car down right now do to my new set up. Its pulling 5% fuel and 37% timing because of the ECU not being able to keep the A/F where it wants it. I Dyno tuned with my NEO last week and it felt better for a little bit but then the ECU came back and took over. Then I reset the ECU thursday and I instantly felt the difference in the restored power from before I reset. Now today the car is back to it again and I need to reset it again. Im not trying to have to reset my ECU every week so I need something other than the emanage that can correct my problem by overriding the ECU so that it never comes back into full control.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:37 AM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talk to AEM about choosing the right FIC for your car or maybe that only applies to their ESM but either way give the FIC a shot, im sure others such as myself would love to see the end result of such a venture.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
Talk to AEM about choosing the right FIC for your car or maybe that only applies to their ESM but either way give the FIC a shot, im sure others such as myself would love to see the end result of such a venture.
lol I dont want to be a test dummy for something like this
Old 08-31-2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by CLS6SpeedNupe
lol I dont want to be a test dummy for something like this
Then your going to use the GEB then?
Old 08-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Banned

Then your going to use the GEB then?
I dont know, I just dont want to waste money on something that may not work. Wit the FIC I read that its compatible with the AEM wideband that I already have on the car which will make it easier to tune without a dyno.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:35 PM

I dont know, I just dont want to waste money on something that may not work. Wit the FIC I read that its compatible with the AEM wideband that I already have on the car which will make it easier to tune without a dyno.
The Greddy will work for sure its been tested and done many times on our ECU's and cars in general.

AEM wideband is a tool and I don't think you need to try and incorporate it into any piggyback system just read its display when tuning the car and use it for that sole reason. I suppose the GEU might be able to do some type of self tune using the wideband, maybe thats what your refering to.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

The Greddy will work for sure its been tested and done many times on our ECU's and cars in general.

AEM wideband is a tool and I don't think you need to try and incorporate it into any piggyback system just read its display when tuning the car and use it for that sole reason. I suppose the GEU might be able to do some type of self tune using the wideband, maybe thats what your refering to.
I meant the AEM FIC is compatible with the AEM Wideband as far as easy data logging.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:56 PM

I meant the AEM FIC is compatible with the AEM Wideband as far as easy data logging.
Then just go for it
Old 08-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Banned

where can I even buy the AEM FIC from??
Old 08-31-2008, 11:24 PM

where can I even buy the AEM FIC from??
Ebay ($365-399)
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/_Car-Tru...fxdZ1QQ_ptasZ1

AEMs website:
http://aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=116
Old 08-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Instructor

I thought that it was established that the NEO worked on the CL-S 6speed? Its downstream of the ECU and hence the ECU would not be able to override the signal from the piggy back comp.

I am almost up to 100% with my NA bolt-ons and wanted to finish up with the NEO and a tune.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SkillOBskilled
I thought that it was established that the NEO worked on the CL-S 6speed? Its downstream of the ECU and hence the ECU would not be able to override the signal from the piggy back comp.

I am almost up to 100% with my NA bolt-ons and wanted to finish up with the NEO and a tune.
No, the ECU will override the NEO eventually. It happrns and most people just dont notice.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Racer

Man i wish somwone would try the FIC.....been courious about it for awhile now.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Banned

I heard that this FIC can only retard timming and not advance it like the Emanage?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Banned

I heard that this FIC can only retard timming and not advance it like the Emanage?
Then I just heard that the regular Emange Blue cant advance timing either only the ultimate...then I heard that the ultimate has issues reading the cam and crank sensors preventing it from working with ignition all together.

So basically we have no cheap easy piggy back option to advance our timing to make more power.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

No, the ECU will override the NEO eventually. It happrns and most people just dont notice.
Did you wire the neo yourself or use the boomslang harness?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Moodist
Did you wire the neo yourself or use the boomslang harness?
Boomslang Plug and Plug, got to be able to take it out at anytime with no issue. I dont belive in hard wiring stuff like this to our cars no more.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned

How the FIC works with stock ECUs and O2 sensors:

Most of the time, the stock ECU is running in closed loop mode. This means it is sending a certain amount of fuel into the engine, then checking the O2 sensor to see if that made the car run lean or rich. If the O2 sensor indicates the engine was too lean, it will add some fuel using the short- or long-term fuel trims. If it indicates too rich, it will decrease the fuel. You can monitor the fuel trims, in real-time, with a good OBD scan tool.

The stock ECU is usually trying to maintain an air/fuel ratio of 14.7 for emissions and fuel economy purposes. It will monitor the O2 sensor and change the fuel trims until it is happy with the sensor readings. If you've modified your engine for increased airflow, the stock ECU might be adding 10% fuel to maintain its desired air/fuel ratios. If you've increased the fuel pressure, the stock ECU might be subtracting fuel to maintain its desired air/fuel ratios. To summarize, the stock ECU is pretty smart but you might not agree with its desired air/fuel ratios. Then again, the stock ECU is assuming you haven't installed an aftermarket turbocharger, and that 14.7 will work just fine.

Since you can't (or might not want to) reprogram the stock ECU, and it will get very upset if you just disconnect the O2 sensor, what we need to do is trick the ECU. The FIC's O2 table is how you do this. The FIC can modify the signal from the O2 sensor: it can tell the stock ECU that the O2 sensor reading is 14.7, even when it is actually something different. If you adjust your O2 table correctly, the stock ECU can actually add fuel until it gets to A/F ratios of 12.0 or 11.0 or whatever air/fuel ratio you choose to run.

Here is how we suggest you modify the values in the O2 table:
1. Install a wideband O2 sensor.
2. With the car idling, adjust the O2 table volts parameter and monitor the A/F Ratios on the wideband.
3. Get a piece of paper and create a simple table: 1.0V = ____ AFR, 2.0V = ____ AFR, 3.0V = ____ AFR, etc...
3a. If you have an OBD scan tool, try to write down the fuel trims that the ECU is using: for instance, 1.0V = 11.9 AFR = +20% fuel. (note: I pulled 20% out of thin air, it might be adding more or less fuel than that)
4. Use your paper to fill in the O2 table. For instance, if you want to run 11.9 AFR when the car is boosting, and 1.0V resulted in 11.9 AFR, you will enter 1.0 in those parts of the table.
5. If you want more fuel than the stock ECU was using, you should add some fuel using the fuel map.
5a. When adding fuel to the fuel map, you might want to use the fuel trim percentages you found in part 5a.
6. Drive the car and monitor the wideband to verify that the AFR's are near where you wanted them to be.
6a. The FIC Version 2.01 software allows you to datalog the output from an AEM wideband (UEGO) sensor. Just connect the white wire from the UEGO to pin 18 (Aux input) of the 22-pin connector on the FIC.

As an aside, the stock ECU doesn't always monitor the O2 sensor. It might not be monitoring the O2 sensor at high RPMs and wide open throttle. A good OBD scanner will tell you if the car is in closed loop (monitoring the O2 sensor) or open loop (not monitoring the O2 sensor) mode. We have an AutoXray EZ-Scan 6000 here at AEM, it allows you to monitor channels such as open/closed loop status, coolant temp, intake air temp, short & long-term fuel trims, fuel injector duty cycle, ignition timing, engine RPM, engine load, MAF voltage, MAP voltage, and a few other parameters that aren't as useful as the ones I've mentioned.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great info, just wish I could make good use of it. Sounds like there is a large potential for power gain if we could get a good tune in the car!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
Great info, just wish I could make good use of it. Sounds like there is a large potential for power gain if we could get a good tune in the car!
yea very possible but until someone resolves the greddy emanage timing issue we will never know without going out and buying a full stand alone
Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Instructor

The sensor produces a voltage which corresponds to a % of 02 reading. It seems producing the desired output out of an O2 sensor is a matter of a variable resistor and a volt meter.

Also, I find it hard to believe that a piggy back computer can't alter the sensor signal if that's whats necessary. I will be digging into this in the coming months, maybe you can figure it out thought and I wont have to bother.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Banned

The sensor produces a voltage which corresponds to a % of 02 reading. It seems producing the desired output out of an O2 sensor is a matter of a variable resistor and a volt meter.

Also, I find it hard to believe that a piggy back computer can't alter the sensor signal if that's whats necessary. I will be digging into this in the coming months, maybe you can figure it out thought and I wont have to bother.
hell im getting frustrated with the whole thing. Im about to just focus on my get my suspention and custom exhaust and worry about this next year. I just got rid on NEO AFC becuase it was basically doing nothing for my car
Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Couple good links for those interested.

http://jdm-insider.com/Blogs/Eric/?p=647

http://www.dezod.com/files/FICvsEMAN.pdf

Its sounding like AEM FIC is the only way to go as it monitors the O2 sensor. I am surprised that noone has tried it yet. It can't advance timing, but thats the only shortcoming, if its even a shortcoming. The ECU should advance the timing as far as possible on its own, and only retract it when it senses knocking.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Banned

Yea the only downfall is that it doesnt advance timing. I mean being able to control timing on a well modded motor can easily add 15+ hp. For what im running now I would really like to get my car tuned and squeez out every bit of power and advancing as well as increasing fuel would be a good combo. I need someone to do a good deep comparison on the FIC vs the Emange Blue because at this point all I really know is that the blue cant adjust vtec and the fic cant advance timing. I want to know more before im ready to make my purchase next month.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Pro

well you are in luck

Yea the only downfall is that it doesnt advance timing. I mean being able to control timing on a well modded motor can easily add 15+ hp. For what im running now I would really like to get my car tuned and squeez out every bit of power and advancing as well as increasing fuel would be a good combo. I need someone to do a good deep comparison on the FIC vs the Emange Blue because at this point all I really know is that the blue cant adjust vtec and the fic cant advance timing. I want to know more before im ready to make my purchase next month.
Me and my friend are going to get dyno tuning with AEM f I/C and E-management blue. I am just waiting on boomslang to make me a custom harness. About a months time and we will be making that trip.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Instructor

Well my point was that with a piggyback like AEM FIC which maps the output of the O2 sensor your engine wouldn't retard timing. Maybe there is some value in advancing it a past what the stock ECU considers the "as far as possible but w/o knock" point. I really don't know, perhaps P2R or someone with actual tuning experiance can chime in at some point.

davepaul,
If you are getting the Emanage Blue, your only shortcoming is controlling the VTEC engagement point, right? Why not just get some knob adjustable VTEC controler for a $100 bucks to the job. One of the older Apexi AFCs should do the job, just leave all the fuel maps at 0%. Thought?
Old 09-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Banned

Well my point was that with a piggyback like AEM FIC which maps the output of the O2 sensor your engine wouldn't retard timing. Maybe there is some value in advancing it a past what the stock ECU considers the "as far as possible but w/o knock" point. I really don't know, perhaps P2R or someone with actual tuning experiance can chime in at some point.

davepaul,
If you are getting the Emanage Blue, your only shortcoming is controlling the VTEC engagement point, right? Why not just get some knob adjustable VTEC controler for a $100 bucks to the job. One of the older Apexi AFCs should do the job, just leave all the fuel maps at 0%. Thought?
thats abn excellent idea if the 2 can be wired together, I will look into it.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Pro

davepaul,
I am getting the AEM, ,my friend which is on Azine also is getting the E blue. The AEM will control vtech for me along many other things that I will need for tuning the nitrous.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yup, me and dave are gonna hit up charleston in about a month, and let you guys know the results
Old 09-15-2008, 03:19 AM
Banned

interesting
Old 09-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thevikas87
yup, me and dave are gonna hit up charleston in about a month, and let you guys know the results
yea I dont think i can wait that long, might have a emanage on and tuned in the next couple weeks after I get my suspension squared away..
Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Banned

just got some good info off the TL side

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/emanage-blue-aem-fic-687190/
Old 09-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, i dont know how smart or dumb this is, BUT i am sure I cud or one cud build a circuit that resets the ECU everytime u turn the ignition on.

just cutting off the back up circuit or fuse 4 a few seconds everytime the key is in the igniton ON position.
This will force the engine to fall bck on the NEO map settings
well at least this might wrk for NA bolt Ons
Old 09-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by poisx7
Ok, i dont know how smart or dumb this is, BUT i am sure I cud or one cud build a circuit that resets the ECU everytime u turn the ignition on.

just cutting off the back up circuit or fuse 4 a few seconds everytime the key is in the igniton ON position.
This will force the engine to fall bck on the NEO map settings
well at least this might wrk for NA bolt Ons

but should you really have to go through all that?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

well it will be cheaper and the ECU will be forced to reset witout u doing it manually.

so u can still use ur NEO.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

or what are the other options if going NA that will not get the stock ECU override
Old 09-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by poisx7
or what are the other options if going NA that will not get the stock ECU override
thats what im trying to figure out if the ECU can override the emanage blue
Old 09-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow..no patience on the forums...haha I'm still waiting on the guy to mail me the emanage blue, it should come in sometime this week, but before I get that installed.. I'll be getting my headers installed this weekend...I know you guys would like to have an answer right now...but shit, i guess we'll wait to see if someone does it before me and dave.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Banned

I just wanna know if the ECU can go againts the Emanage settings
Old 09-16-2008, 04:24 AM

I just wanna know if the ECU can go againts the Emanage settings
Never saw it happen before, so I think your pretty safe in that regard. What headers are you running anyway? Thinking about picking up some XS headers, or at least just for the j-pipe.

Quick Reply: Aem fic