AEM CAI... where did I go wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001 | 11:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

AEM CAI... where did I go wrong?

I've completely taken my CAI off now and much to my surprise there is a HUGE gouge in the pipe on the curve down by the filter. It's so bad that I can see some bubbling on the INSIDE of the pipe meaning it was about to break through completely. I've tried to take some pics but they just don't show the depth of this gouge very well. I'm wondering if this is yet another side effect of having an early unit?? If the pipe was sitting too low, perhaps it came in contact with something down there to cause this. The whole thing is just scratched to hell. There's smaller gouge just below the mounting bracket where it rubbed up against that sharp metal. I can't even sell this piece of shit now!!

Here's a pic of both gouges. The filter goes on the end where my hand is.

Closeup of the larger gouge. You can kind of see the depth. Unfortunately, the other closeup I took is all blurry.

Picture of small gouge when I was in the process of taking off the intake.

Scratches galore

I don't suppose anyone with an early unit has happened to look at their pipe to see if they have the same damage down by the filter???

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs, Sway Bars & Headers
PIAA 19169

[This message has been edited by GoldTypeS (edited 06-02-2001).]
Old 06-03-2001 | 12:00 AM
Senior Moderator

I'll have to check mine tomorrow. thanks for the heads up mark.

I'm assuming you're going to try and return it? I'm sure Tim will take care of you.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Go some stuff
14.302 @98.69 Carlsbad Raceway 4/29/01
My Car

CLpower has a 1st Gen 3.0 CL

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 06-02-2001).]
Old 06-03-2001 | 12:02 AM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
they aren't chew toys gold!!!

check and see if there are any lines hitting it. Like an oil line or somthing. That can cause the line to melt into it. It happened to my strut bar
Old 06-03-2001 | 12:03 AM
Suzuka Master

You have mail -- it isn't exactly what your expecting, but I did send you a list of the stuff you should have gotten with your early model.

I went out to the car and carefully checked the parts that AEM added to my "early" unit.

I would try to remove my unit to look, but the nuts are on with so few threads holding them, that I don't think I would want to do this without a tube of locktite handy and a couple of new nuts and rubber mount.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 06-03-2001 | 12:07 AM
Suzuka Master

On second look -- it looks like they gave you one fat boy washer for the bottom of the rubber mount, vs the 2 they made for me.

Ouch!

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI
Old 06-03-2001 | 12:58 AM
Safety Car

That part that got hit looks like where the hole in the engine bay is. I put an extra piece of rubber around the pipe there so that when/if it hits the metal of the car, it wouldn't cut it by much...hopefully

------------------
Tw1112
Old 06-03-2001 | 01:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Gold --

The more I think about all of this, the more I think they should have just admitted that they screwed up and just send out new units to the "early" test subjects.

Proof of purchase should be the only requirement.

I know Chris (Xepher) is a bit slow delivering units, but if he can get a CARB sticker on his, and get his deliveries happening with a local distributer etc, then I think he is going to be picking up my business for winter. I don't even want to think about cutting and re-installing an "early" unit with Air-bypass -- NUTS!

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
Old 06-03-2001 | 01:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
On second look -- it looks like they gave you one fat boy washer for the bottom of the rubber mount, vs the 2 they made for me.

Ouch!

</font>
Exactly!! In the 3rd pic, you can see the "spacer" as they call it. It's the silver thing below the rubber mount. I was actually in the process of putting that on when I just gave up and took the whole damn thing out. I'm beginning to think more and more that these early units are trash. I'm calling AEM Monday morning. Oh joy!! Can't wait to see what kind of crap I have to go through to get this taken care of. I basically just want my money back at this point. I have absolutely no interest in doing business with these people.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs, Sway Bars & Headers
PIAA 19169
Old 06-03-2001 | 01:23 AM
Old timer

Is the CAI getting hit by road debris? Where exactly does it hang down? Like can rocks and stuff kicked up by the wheel hit it?

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.
50% tint sides, 35% back.
Old 06-03-2001 | 01:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRock:
Is the CAI getting hit by road debris? Where exactly does it hang down? Like can rocks and stuff kicked up by the wheel hit it?

-J

</font>
The splash guard protects it from rocks and stuff. These gouges are done by metal. The intake is hitting metal and it's getting slowly worn down. In the one pic you can see the metal piece that's hitting it and you can also see there is clearance. I know AEM is gonna try and blame installation on me, but thing thing wasn't touching ANYTHING when I installed it.

Old 06-03-2001 | 05:57 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
Exactly!! In the 3rd pic, you can see the "spacer" as they call it. It's the silver thing below the rubber mount. I was actually in the process of putting that on when I just gave up and took the whole damn thing out. I'm beginning to think more and more that these early units are trash. I'm calling AEM Monday morning. Oh joy!! Can't wait to see what kind of crap I have to go through to get this taken care of. I basically just want my money back at this point. I have absolutely no interest in doing business with these people.

</font>
Let's stay in touch on this issue -- if they give you the run around, e-mail me back, and I'll give them the squeeky wheel treatment. I don't know if it will do any good, but perhaps a poll of who owns the early unit should be taken, and we should get together and demand that we get NEW units!

There is strength in numbers (at least in some situations)

You should have my e-mail address.

Keep me posted *and* good luck

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
Old 06-03-2001 | 07:07 AM
Instructor

Yea i noticed the same thing with my CAI...well it wasnt as bad as yours but where the intake wwas near the hole going down the car...that was where the car was really cutting into my intake...i caught it somewaht early enough that it didnt do too much damage...AEM was such pricks taht they didnt even include all the proper mountings....cuz i needed 2 sets of those rubber mountings and nuts and bults that go with it and they only gave me one...so i just compromised with some things at home depot. However i jsut put some rubber thign in between the CAI and the car....the cAI gets alto of pressure and rubs up against the car all the time and i cant do anythign about it really except a small rubber piece...i just hope its enough... icant see if it cut through the rubber or not. Hopefully rubber is strong enough but who knows.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Diamond Nicrome Limo Mirror Tint
Undetectable K40 w/t Diffuser
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Eibach Pro Kit
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs
Old 06-03-2001 | 07:11 AM
Suzuka Master

AEM has a lifetime Guarantee.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 06-03-2001 | 07:39 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

It's really pathetic that after all that development time they cant build a F***ing tube with a filter on the end of it. I'm checking mine also ASAP and will be in on any action. I also want to check my filter for damage from the exposed screw.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
Polarg M6 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
Denso Iridium plugs
35% metallic tint
Old 06-03-2001 | 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

gold i know exactally what's happening!There's a bolt down near where the pipe makes its last turn where you connect the filter...if you take aflash light you'll see it on the exterior side of fire wall theres acctually like two or three bolts when the cai moves flexes it bumps these bolts...i thin the bets fix is to put in the stock rubber boot

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list
ITR.'98gt,GTP,contour SVT
GS-R,87 GT,supra...and more to come
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 06-03-2001 | 01:43 PM
Drifting

Hoe can you tell if you have an old or a new unit??? Are there different numbers or parts?

------------------
2001 CL-S White/Tan
non navi
* Spoiler
* Weel Locks
* Polarg m-6
* Red AEM CAI
## Selling 97 and up prelude i/h/e for 600.00. E-mail me##
Old 06-03-2001 | 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

typeR hit it on the head. I have a scrape on the lower portion of the tube near the 3 screw heads. It's not very deep so I just moved the tube further back on the bracket.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by typeR:
gold i know exactally what's happening!There's a bolt down near where the pipe makes its last turn where you connect the filter...if you take aflash light you'll see it on the exterior side of fire wall theres acctually like two or three bolts when the cai moves flexes it bumps these bolts...i thin the bets fix is to put in the stock rubber boot

</font>

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Go some stuff
14.302 @98.69 Carlsbad Raceway 4/29/01
My Car

CLpower has a 1st Gen 3.0 CL
Old 06-04-2001 | 01:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
typeR hit it on the head. I have a scrape on the lower portion of the tube near the 3 screw heads. It's not very deep so I just moved the tube further back on the bracket.

</font>
But what I don't get is how you can do that?? It took us forever to install this intake. It seemed like the fit was very very tight and there was only one way it would go on. I certainly didn't feel like I had any adjustment room???
Old 06-05-2001 | 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator

goto home depot and get those rubber ends that screw over the end of a bolt

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 06-06-2001 | 01:27 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

I just installed the bypass valve clip and that extra-thick washer. I have also noticed those three bolts by the firewall. I have examined the pipe around that area and have found it to be in good condition. But, then again, I do have the bypass valve which does allow me to twist the lower portion of the pipe away from those bolts.
Old 06-06-2001 | 02:35 AM
Senior Moderator

just went to homedepot today and bought some rubber end of a table leg or something thats 5/8 looks almost what would be on the end of a pair of crutches but smaller works perfect 1.97$ something like that

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list
-----------------