adv/dis of buying a cl.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 11:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adv/dis of buying a cl.

hi, i just want to know. cause im buying a new car next week.
i want to know some advantages of this car.
and i know there are some downs to this car to.
just straight up want to know the facts.
thanks.
james
Old 12-29-2001, 11:34 PM
Buckle Up

Its the best bang for the buck.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: adv/dis of buying a cl.

Originally posted by hotboyjamez
thanks.
james
If you can wait and are interested ... the LA Auto Show on Jan 3-5 will announce the new 2003 CL-S 6-speed. That would be worth waiting to see if you can do it ... should make the car more sporty if you are in to that.
Old 12-30-2001, 02:15 AM
I love my CL-S

this car handles like a truck..but fast too...capable or hanging with many true sport cars
Old 12-30-2001, 02:26 AM
Pro

best purchase i ever made
Old 12-30-2001, 06:47 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Dude, what's up with that name of yours?
Old 12-30-2001, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Sorry

Sorry no one with the name "HotBoyJamez" is allowed to drive a CL. Perhaps a VW bug might be for you...:P
Old 12-30-2001, 08:13 AM
got rocks??

LoL bug..

Funny you should mention a bug dave, cuz my wife drives the CL-S and I drive the bug!! - cuz itz faster.

KJ
Old 12-30-2001, 08:27 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I came in here and asked the exact same question before I bought my 2002 CL-S.

The best advice I got...

'Just buy the damn car.'
Old 12-30-2001, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i think one of the biggest advantages, which has been mentioned, is you get a lot for what you pay. you may not get the best quality material, or the fastest car, or the best handling, or the best anything, but you get something that's pretty good for the money. it's like buying a civic, except to a higher degree...you get a good portion of everything, but not too much or too little of anything (which seems to be honda/acura's mission statement).

the disadvantages include only having 2 doors for a $30k car, which means the resale will inherently be lower in the short term (which is good if you plan on buying and keeping for awhile 'cuz you can get a good deal now). the quality issues, the car's quality is good, but it's not the best. the tranny is a potential problem, but i still believe it's not as widespread but it's pretty random across the board so you may or may not get it (although it does seem that the earlier models had less occurences...the pre-glowinthedark trunk handle editions).

others include not having aftermarket support, the rims stick out too far, and the tires kinda suck although they are sufficient for me.

and the car is not too common, but it doesn't stand out in style or brand which may or may not be important to you. i'm in san antonio right now and rarely see another cl-s around, but people are always checking it out. i think it's 'cuz of my license plate though, i have one of those PA river otter plates.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:42 AM
Suzuka Master

and another thing...depending on what you like to drive. like the is300 rides and drives like a small car 'cuz that's what it is (along the same lines as the rsx, civics, wrx, etc. etc.), you feel more connected to the road and more "in control" 'cuz that's what they want the car to do.

the cl-s on the other hand is more of a cruiser so it's less connected and you will know the difference. it has a nice balance of connection/unconnection to the road though, but some people describe cars as being "fun to drive" and this car is closer to "not fun". and sometimes it pisses me off when people say don't get this car 'cuz its no fun to drive...it may not be fun, but i'd rather have a car i enjoy most of the time than have "fun" in most of the time.
Old 12-30-2001, 10:58 AM
www.drippinwet.com

i like the pic of your driving lights, mine are too blue, i think i'll remove the coating and just leave them yellow/white
Old 12-30-2001, 11:20 AM
toyota owner

Originally posted by mrdeeno
and another thing...depending on what you like to drive. like the is300 rides and drives like a small car 'cuz that's what it is (along the same lines as the rsx, civics, wrx, etc. etc.), you feel more connected to the road and more "in control" 'cuz that's what they want the car to do.

sorry for going off the main subject, but since i am also considering audi a4...will the audi have more "control" and "feel" for connecting the driver to road?
Old 12-30-2001, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by kuuligan

sorry for going off the main subject, but since i am also considering audi a4...will the audi have more "control" and "feel" for connecting the driver to road?
i don't know 'cuz i haven't driven one. drive one to find out and let us know how it compares to the cl-s.
Old 12-30-2001, 12:17 PM
toyota owner

i don't know 'cuz i haven't driven one. drive one to find out and let us know how it compares to the cl-s.
i test drove the A4 quattro with sport package...and i am saying clsoe to bimmer levels in driver-road connection.

the salesperson didnt go with me so i had some fun cornering (since 1.8T acceleration sucks ass) and going into 4 wheels drifts. i was able to control the drifts pretty easy.
salesperson was kinda suspicious when he smells burnt rubber when i brought it back :P

cl-s i would say had wayyy more power and i found it hard to control and w/o ebrake, no way i can do any sort of controlled drifts.
Old 12-30-2001, 12:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by acura_service
i like the pic of your driving lights, mine are too blue, i think i'll remove the coating and just leave them yellow/white
if you have the 19224s or m6's, don't bother, just get a pair of sylvania 16w bulbs. they are barely any dimmer than the cleared 18w and much cheaper (around $3 for a pair i think).

they're kind hard to find, i found them at autozone. these bulbs usually don't have wattages listed, but i found that these have the wattages written on the bulbs themselves ("W16W").
Old 12-30-2001, 12:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by kuuligan

i test drove the A4 quattro with sport package...and i am saying clsoe to bimmer levels in driver-road connection.

the salesperson didnt go with me so i had some fun cornering (since 1.8T acceleration sucks ass) and going into 4 wheels drifts. i was able to control the drifts pretty easy.
salesperson was kinda suspicious when he smells burnt rubber when i brought it back :P

cl-s i would say had wayyy more power and i found it hard to control and w/o ebrake, no way i can do any sort of controlled drifts.
there ya go, it sounds like you have your decision kinda made until the 6mt comes out.

you drive a prelude and i've only been in one once, but aren't those cars higher on the "fun" factor?
Old 12-30-2001, 08:18 PM
Banned

Re: adv/dis of buying a cl.

Originally posted by hotboyjamez
thanks.
james

Well... you have to start smoking crack and taking pictures of it posting them here, listening to trendy gangsta rap, get 20inch rims, and complain that your 0-60 time is 16 seconds.... install a PS@ in the car (or an Xbox)...
Or... you could just be conservative, not mod and save your money for the economic shitstorm we're about to have.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:44 PM
toyota owner

you drive a prelude and i've only been in one once, but aren't those cars higher on the "fun" factor?
you sir, are correct :P