Add me to the 6-speed owners club!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 04:25 AM
6SPDCLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add me to the 6-speed owners club!

Just traded in for CLS 6-speed.

Been years since I've tried a stick. I never owned one. This is how good the clutch is on this car. I drove all over town right after I bought it.

I do have a question though. The gearbox is really close and sometimes I end up shifting from 5 to 2. Only once. What is a good recommendation of shifting up and down? Like what speed should I shift up and what speeds can I shift down (what is the lowest gear to go without blowing up anything)?

Anyway, got a chance to open her up. Some dudes in a honda (91 year) was revving his engine.hahhah I almost never get that here in Seattle. Anyway, I was thinking, let me try this out. I was scared I might stall.

Well, it didn't and I blew by the honda like crazy...the car is so freakin' fast...or at least feels alot lighter with the 6-speed manual tranny. Anyone else notice that?

Got my with full NAVI/ONstar. I think I was raped on the trade in...but shiet, you only live once.

How many CLS-6speeds are there made? My dealer only had 2. One with navi and one without.

Also, I don't think I'll lower mine again. SEems like stock is much better than getting it lowered...cause it's too bumpy in my old CLS.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn congrats man!! I was so tempted to ask about trading in my 1st gen but quickly walked away from the dealer! Have no money for that! Congrats on the car!
Old 06-14-2002, 04:31 AM
6SPDCLS

Thank you!!

Well, I still owe money on the 2k1 CLS but luckily, I got a decent price for the trade in and the deal was OK. Shiet, come to think of it, I owe another $33k after today! that sucks..

Originally posted by tw1112
Damn congrats man!! I was so tempted to ask about trading in my 1st gen but quickly walked away from the dealer! Have no money for that! Congrats on the car!
Old 06-14-2002, 05:50 AM
Capo di Tutti Capi

About that 5 > 2 shift... when in doubt let the centering spring do its work to align in the 3-4 slots. Use that as a reference.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:13 AM
Old and Slow

Re: Add me to the 6-speed owners club!

Originally posted by DDT-TypeS

How many CLS-6speeds are there made? My dealer only had 2. One with navi and one without.

According to a gal at my dealer, each dealership was only allocated 2 6-speeds. If they had more then they traded for them with another dealer.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:50 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have a question though. The gearbox is really close and sometimes I end up shifting from 5 to 2. Only once. What is a good recommendation of shifting up and down? Like what speed should I shift up and what speeds can I shift down (what is the lowest gear to go without blowing up anything)?

http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm

You should be able to deduce how to shift from 5 to 6. (Similar to the 4th from 3rd).

Mods: maybe place a "Shifting Techniques Tutorial" thread in the "Extremely Useful Topics" with this link??

I would hate to see a blown motor in a 6-speed
Old 06-14-2002, 08:07 AM
The anti-misshift

Re: Re: Add me to the 6-speed owners club!

Originally posted by 1mrdad

According to a gal at my dealer, each dealership was only allocated 2 6-speeds. If they had more then they traded for them with another dealer.
Yeah, i heard the samething over at my dealer too. only 2 CL-S 6-speeds allow to be order a month.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

I test drove a 6-speed a few weeks ago while my friend and his wife were signing the papers for an '03 TL-S. It was close to closing time so the salesman had me park the car in the back lot.. there were probably 8 6-speeds in various colors back there, plus a red one right out front.

I don't think a dealer would trade for a car that wasn't sold yet.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:34 AM
Drifting

Also, I don't think I'll lower mine again. SEems like stock is much better than getting it lowered...cause it's too bumpy in my old CLS.
Congrats on the 6...you WILL LOVE IT:P

What springs were you running????
Old 06-14-2002, 08:38 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

You are absolutely right in the feeling that the car is much lighter than the automatic. Part of that is that you are always in the powerband with the 6 speed. The other part is the LSD and the actually weight reduction.

When shifting a close ratio gearbox like that don't pull the shifter at all--just kind of push or pull it straight back gently and the shifter will go where it is supposed to b/c it will likely take more effort to get it into the lower gear than it will to go into the next higher gear.

Enjoy.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:00 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Give us some specs, color, options, etc etc!!!!
Old 06-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase!

What color combo did ya get?
Old 06-14-2002, 11:14 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Yeah that 2>5 will happen if you force the stick. Let the stick move by itself. Relax your hand and the movement it will go int 3rd without a problem. Somebody here mention that you might want to use an open hand as opposed to a close fist when. If i'm not mistaken the shifter will sit like this when in N:

.. 1 3
.. | |
... S
.. | |

.. 2 4

If you are in second just push it into N and then let it "spring" to the relaxed state and then slide over a tad and then up-into third. Key is to relax because as soon as you hand is tense you end up using too much strength and the strength will push you into 5th. SOrta like swinging a golf club.....let the club/stick do the work for you.....all you need to do is just relax
Old 06-14-2002, 11:19 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
This is like the blind leading the dumb
Old 06-14-2002, 11:20 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Tom2
This is like the blind leading the dumb

:sqntfawk:

Thanks for the positive contribution
Old 06-14-2002, 11:29 AM
Unregistered Member

Originally posted by Zapata

:sqntfawk:

Thanks for the positive contribution
Sorry, bud. Don't get mad though.... I just think it's funny that some of you automatic driving people are having difficulties with a close ratio, short shifting 6 speed.

I guess it is expected though......
Old 06-14-2002, 11:30 AM
Banned

what were the details of your trade?? you had a 2001 i assume? how bad was your trade in value???
Old 06-14-2002, 11:33 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Sorry, bud. Don't get mad though.... I just think it's funny that some of you automatic driving people are having difficulties with a close ratio, short shifting 6 speed.

I guess it is expected though......

ALL HERE THIS! God is in our presence!! All bow and supplicate before him!

It's nice how you love to put people into neat little groups, label them and their behavior.....
Old 06-14-2002, 11:38 AM
Unregistered Member

It's nice how you love to put people into neat little groups, label them and their behavior.....
Oh stop being such a little cry-baby bitch.

All I'm saying is that since MOST people here are CL-S owners and MOST of those owners are automatic drivers, I find it funny that you guys are posting instructions on HOW TO DRIVE A MANUAL TRANS.

If you don't like it, you can kiss my ass.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:45 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Oh stop being such a little cry-baby bitch.

All I'm saying is that since MOST people here are CL-S owners and MOST of those owners are automatic drivers, I find it funny that you guys are posting instructions on HOW TO DRIVE A MANUAL TRANS.

If you don't like it, you can kiss my ass.
OH could I! I mean do you think i'm good enough! Since I'm dumb and blind you might want give me a hand.

Enough with the heir of superiority already......

Just because we don't OWN one doesn't mean we don't know how to drive one and doesn't mean we don't know how the '03 6MT behaves.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:57 AM
Unregistered Member

Since I'm dumb and blind you might want give me a hand.

Get it right, Dorothy.... I said that you were blind and the other guy was dumb.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:02 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Get it right, Dorothy.... I said that you were blind and the other guy was dumb.
thank you!
Old 06-14-2002, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Now kids...dont make me put yall in different corners

Who cares

Now for the shifting...do what every one else was saying...dont force it and when your not sure...when you are not in gear and you let go...straight up is 3rd and down is 4th

:P
Old 06-14-2002, 12:07 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by NOLACLS
Now kids...dont make me put yall in different corners

Who cares

Now for the shifting...do what every one else was saying...dont force it and when your not sure...when you are not in gear and you let go...straight up is 3rd and down is 4th

:P
Yeah, it's like Tom and I married.....we argue but still love each other. Right Tom?

Anyway,
Hm, i thought the stick was off-center and if you went up you'd hit the shift-gate.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:12 PM
Drifting

nope...up is 3rd and down is 4th
Old 06-14-2002, 12:15 PM
A stick shift whore

One word ... SIMMMAH

Welcome to the stick shift club
Every time I get into my car I have a grin on my face. No regrets on trading in the 01!
Old 06-14-2002, 12:16 PM
Unregistered Member

Yeah, it's like Tom and I married.....we argue but still love each other. Right Tom?

Hey, if I were gay, I just might ask you to marry me
Old 06-14-2002, 12:19 PM
CL 6 speeder

Originally posted by Klamalama
About that 5 > 2 shift... when in doubt let the centering spring do its work to align in the 3-4 slots. Use that as a reference.
Yes I agree. Let the shifter find the 3-4 gate for you. Don't apply any left-right pressure at all. Let the shifter come to rest and then shift forward or back only. This is the way all manuals are designed to work.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:10 PM
CL 6 speeder

Yeah that 2>5 will happen if you force the stick. Let the stick move by itself. Relax your hand and the movement it will go int 3rd without a problem. Somebody here mention that you might want to use an open hand as opposed to a close fist when. If i'm not mistaken the shifter will sit like this when in N:

.. 1 3
.. | |
... S
.. | |

.. 2 4

If you are in second just push it into N and then let it "spring" to the relaxed state and then slide over a tad and then up-into third. Key is to relax because as soon as you hand is tense you end up using too much strength and the strength will push you into 5th. SOrta like swinging a golf club.....let the club/stick do the work for you.....all you need to do is just relax
This is not correct. The shifter will align precisely with the 3-4 gate NOT between the 1-2 and 3-4 gate. No left right pressure is need to go into 3rd or 4th. This is common to all floor mounted manuals i have ever driven. Slight pressure to the driver is all that is needed to align with the 1-2 gate (you can't miss it because the allowable travel stops you from going too far). For 5-6 slight pressure away from driver. Here its a bit tricky. If you apply too much pressure you will end up in the R gate which is very bad. The acura 6 speed has no lockout for reverse just slight added pressure past 5-6.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:51 PM
Team Owner

Welcome to the CLUTCH CLUB !!!

Shawn S
Old 06-14-2002, 10:54 PM
Team Owner

I have to agree with Tom on this one.

Kinda Funny

Shawn S
Old 06-14-2002, 11:08 PM
foe
Racer

how much did you pay for trade in
Old 06-14-2002, 11:15 PM
Suzuka Master

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving...shifting.lasso
Old 06-15-2002, 12:36 AM
Certified Lurker

Welcome!!!
Old 06-15-2002, 03:11 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Add me to the 6-speed owners club!

Originally posted by Bluto

http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm

You should be able to deduce how to shift from 5 to 6. (Similar to the 4th from 3rd).

Mods: maybe place a "Shifting Techniques Tutorial" thread in the "Extremely Useful Topics" with this link??

I would hate to see a blown motor in a 6-speed
Does anyone else find that technique just bizarre and unnecessary?

I could go on about things wrong with it--well, ok i will: death grip for 1-2, backhand for 2-3, backhand for 3-4 but not for 4-3, backhand from 5-4??? yikes
Old 06-15-2002, 03:39 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new car!

OK, about shifting: The key is to shift open-palm. That lets the springs put the stick in the right position side-to-side with a hint from you, and of course you control the front-back on your own.

Basically, you bend your wrist depending on whether you need to push or pull (odd gears, even gears, cupping your palm forward or backward), and add palm-left tilt for 1 and 2, neutral for 3 and 4, and palm right for 5 and 6.

For down shifting--well look in the manual for rpm-speed per gear (don't have it handy). I double-clutch (out of habit, not sure how important it is these days, but surely it saves at least *some* wear); if you do this you get used to matching engine speed and don't really have to think about what speed is safe. (Basically, you push the clutch in, drop to neutral, release clutch & goose the throttle to match the revs for the lower gear, clutch back in and downshift, clutch back out.) But the short answer is that if your rpm is low enough that you need to downshift, it's certainly safe to drop to the next lower gear. If you want to drop multiple gears, it's best to know what speed each gear can handle. When in doubt be conservative and choose a higher gear--you'll just have to do it again if you picked the wrong one, no biggie.

I see joe's post now and yeah, that's basically it for up-shifting. With open palm the spring action just sends you to the right place. The only time I ever have to wake up and think about what I'm doing is when I'm driving along and get completely distracted, and it's time to shift and I realize I don't remember whether I'm in 3rd or 5th (hehe--then maybe I have to glance over at the speedo instead of just listening to the revs, or at least start paying more attention).
Old 06-15-2002, 08:01 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by joeandcarol2

This is not correct. The shifter will align precisely with the 3-4 gate NOT between the 1-2 and 3-4 gate. No left right pressure is need to go into 3rd or 4th. This is common to all floor mounted manuals i have ever driven. Slight pressure to the driver is all that is needed to align with the 1-2 gate (you can't miss it because the allowable travel stops you from going too far). For 5-6 slight pressure away from driver. Here its a bit tricky. If you apply too much pressure you will end up in the R gate which is very bad. The acura 6 speed has no lockout for reverse just slight added pressure past 5-6.

Ah thank you! I stand corrected.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:09 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Soooo,
It's been about 3 weeks since you first got the car. Any updates? Are you accustomed to the stick yet? etc., etc.,
Old 07-06-2002, 11:20 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I never gave you my congrats, so here it is:

Congratulations! Welcome to the Clutch Club!

I hope you've been enjoying your stick. I know that I've been having a lot of fun.

Oh, in response to comments in this thread:
    Old 07-06-2002, 07:32 PM
    Cruisin'

New 6-Spd. owner as of today!!!

hey guys, i just picked up a black on black '03 CL-S today..nice car..but, it was unfortunate that i had to buy a new car because on june 21st, while riding thru some mountain roads, i had to swerve to avoid another car and ended up totaling my '01 Yellow S2000..boy do I miss that car..but I made some money on the total loss value, and this car was the smartest decision considering my loan, and the amt. i have left..so I am happily alive and driving this fat new Acura...any suggestions on mods after break in period..thanks guys!!!

Quick Reply: Add me to the 6-speed owners club!